• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game freezes in most games

Thetimewarp

Google avails me nothing in my diligent search for a solution to this problem.

Since I got my new week-old gaming PC I have been experiencing crippling freezes when I play any PC game except World of Warcraft. I have experienced these freezes in Halo 2 for Windows Vista, Crysis 2 (rare), TES IV Oblivion, Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, and those are the only games I have played on it so far.

The freezes last 30 seconds to 2 minutes and are of intermittent and seemingly random frequency during gameplay. (4-10 minutes apart)

The first freeze is delayed for maybe 20 minutes after I start my first game up and then persists in its random fashion until I restart the computer.

My CPU sits at 30-40 degrees C during this whole process. It is an AMD Phenom II x4 840 with stock cooler. During the freezes, Task Manager reports that the CPU is almost idle.

My PSU is an adequate 500W Mushkin. It has only one 6-pin connector and my GTX 460 has two slots, so the second slot is connected to an included adapter to convert two molex to a 6-pin.

I strongly suspect that the problem here is related to the PSU or graphics card. I'd really appreciate any input and would be more than happy to answer questions. :nutkick:

Thetimewarp

I forgot to mention the following:-

-The freezes still display what was happening at the time of the freeze e.g. not a blank screen.

- I cannot alt-tab, control-alt-del or escape in any other fashion, but when I hold control-alt-del during the freeze, when the freeze concludes I am then displayed the [security options?] screen.

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
could be hard drive access from a background program

When it unfreezes does it carry on from where it froze or does it appear to keep going in the background?

Thetimewarp

could be hard drive access from a background program

When it unfreezes does it carry on from where it froze or does it appear to keep going in the background?

It unfreezes from where it was.

{JNT}Raptor

System Name Ummmm...Mine
Processor I7 920 @ 4.2ghz @ 1.29v's load
Motherboard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
Cooling Custom 1/2 inch H20
Memory 3x2gb Patriot Sector 7 @2008Mhz 27-9-11-9 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 580 SC 900/1800/1090
Storage 1-Mushkin 60gb SSD 1-500GB WD Black and 2-1TB 32mb WD Black
Display(s) 25 inch Hanns-G 2ms
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Catalina
Power Supply Corsair AX850 Pro Series-Modular
Software All Kinds...and then some.
Benchmark Scores 3dMark 11 P7066 Compare Link- http://3dmark.com/3dm11/251153
How old is the PSU and what are it's specs?....Link to it if possible.

Try uninstalling the video drivers and reinstall them.

Test your memory with an app like Memtest.

I've seen more system freezes from a bad sound driver than anything else.....you may want to look in that direction as well.

Hope it helps. :)

streetfighter 2

If it's memory/CPU it would have just crashed, not continued.
If it's GPU it either would have CTD or crashed the system.
It doesn't sound like PSU either because I would expect it to fully lockup from a sudden surge/spike in power.

Based on the above I agree with Cheesy999. Probably something with the HDD and/or background software causing thrashing.

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
If it's memory/CPU it would have just crashed, not continued.
If it's GPU it either would have CTD or crashed the system.
It doesn't sound like PSU either because I would expect it to fully lockup from a sudden surge/spike in power.

Based on the above I agree with Cheesy999. Probably something with the HDD and/or background software causing thrashing.

launch the task manager and remove everything you don't need from the procceses tab that isn't needed by windows (basicly everything you don't need elevated privileges to get too) as well as disabling your A/V - you'll eventually get it through process of elimination.

System Name PC || Acer Nitro 5
Processor Ryzen 9 5900x || R5 2500U @ 35W
Motherboard MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI || default
Cooling 1x Corsair XR5 360mm Rad||
Memory 2x16GB HyperX 3600 @ 3800 || 2x8GB DDR4 @ 2400MTs
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080Ti Sea Hawk EK X || RX 560X
Storage Samsung 9801TB x2 + Striped Tiered Storage Space (2x 128Gb SSD + 2x 1TB HDD) || 128GB + 1TB SSD
Display(s) Iiyama PL2770QS + Samsung U28E590, || 15,6" 1080P IPS @ 100Hz Freesync enabled
Case SilverStone Alta G1M ||
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DX
Power Supply Cooler Master V850 SFX || 135Watt 19V OEM adaptor
Mouse ROG Pugio II
Software Win 11 64bit || Win 11 64bit
This sounds like a failing HDD, though it could potentially also be some failing background program.

I've had something similar, my system would basically lock up for a couple of minutes.
I had this out of games too, however, and it would just lock up with random disk usage.

Things like resource monitor kept refreshing during that time, and reported a very low disk transfer speed, but high utilisation and giant peaks in the disk queue.

Edit: I succesfully RMA-ed my laptop, and they got me a new HDD, because it turned out it was broken.

Last edited:

Thetimewarp

This sounds like a failing HDD indeed.

I've had something similar, my system would basically lock up for a couple of minutes.
I had this out of games too, however, and it would just lock up with random disk usage.

Things like resource monitor kept refreshing during that time, and reported a very low disk transfer speed, but high utilisation and giant peaks in the disk queue.

Thanks for the input. I gather you guys think it's a HDD problem. I'll run a disk check.

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
Does your Antivirus check for updates once in awhile? In that case, set the installation of automatic updates on a lower frequency (once a day or so, rather than stuff like "pulse updates") or disable the automatic updating completely (doing it manually instead).

Thetimewarp

I have deleted and reinstalled my graphics card driver, and installed missing south bridge and sound drivers. I haven't yet run a disk check so I'll test crysis for a half hour and report back. I really appreciate your help guys and gals :)

Processor 5900x
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Carbon
Cooling Artic freezer 280mm
Memory 32GB @ 3800Mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 3080 FE
This could be your anti-virus software. are you running microsoft security essentials by anychance?

try putting the game directories in the exemptions on your anti-virus then try running a game again

System Name Gwafwar
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Msi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
Memory 16Gb Adata Spectrix 3600 Cl18
Video Card(s) Palit GTX970 SLI
Storage Adata 512Gb SX8200 pro
Display(s) 3x 27" 1080p Lg's
Case Coolermaster 690 II pure black
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Coolermaster 750W Masterwatt
Mouse Saitek X65-f HOTAS
Software Win10 Pro
are you running a single or 2+ hard drives.

It's a fresh install of windows, and if your on a single hard drive and automatic updates are running it could be the fact your writing and reading 2 sets of data at once.

Wow would be an exception as it is designed to run with it's own updater running and it allows for other programs to be using a hard drive at the same time.

I think like everyone has stated it's a problem with the hard drive, but i don't suspect it's a failing one just yet. Failing hard drives will throw up boot problems and install problems as well. You may as well check it for peace of mind.

Personally i download the service pack for network installs, for windows, then install that immediately after an install. Then i turn off updates in all it's forms. I don't run an anti virus at all. I have a reasonable software firewall, and a hardware firewall on my router. And i can tell when i have a virus as i monitor all programs using task manager from the off. If something new appears then it gets googled. I'm also careful on the net, and don't download anything that i haven't read the comments on... I even kill firefox if something gets round the popup blocker in task manager. Using this method and firefox i've not had a virus in over 7 years, touch wood.

a simple test to see if it's updates is to play with your network cable unplugged. That way automatic updates will be off-line. If the games still freeze then you have to start doing a little program digging to find out whats using what on your system.

Also can you post a system spec and OS spec. TY

Last edited:
System Name MSI GT72S 6QE
Processor Core i7 6820HK
Motherboard Intel Sunrise Point CM236
Cooling 2 fans
Memory 2x 8 GB SO-DIMM DDR4-RAM (2133 MHz)
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M - 8192 MB
Storage 1 ssd 3 hard drives
Display(s) 17.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, LG Philips LP173WF4-SPF1 (LGD0469), IPS, Full HD
Case ??!!!
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC899
Power Supply most beautiful brick you have ever seen
are you running a single or 2+ hard drives.

It's a fresh install of windows, and if your on a single hard drive and automatic updates are running it could be the fact your writing and reading 2 sets of data at once.

Wow would be an exception as it is designed to run with it's own updater running and it allows for other programs to be using a hard drive at the same time.

I think like everyone has stated it's a problem with the hard drive, but i don't suspect it's a failing one just yet. Failing hard drives will throw up boot problems and install problems as well. You may as well check it for peace of mind.

Personally i download the service pack for network installs, for windows, then install that immediately after an install. Then i turn off updates in all it's forms. I don't run an anti virus at all. I have a reasonable software firewall, and a hardware firewall on my router. And i can tell when i have a virus as i monitor all programs using task manager from the off. If something new appears then it gets googled. I'm also careful on the net, and don't download anything that i haven't read the comments on... I even kill firefox if something gets round the popup blocker in task manager. Using this method and firefox i've not had a virus in over 7 years, touch wood.

a simple test to see if it's updates is to play with your network cable unplugged. That way automatic updates will be off-line. If the games still freeze then you have to start doing a little program digging to find out whats using what on your system.

Also can you post a system spec and OS spec. TY

I have avira installed...its free and it lets me touch wood everywhere on the internet!

Thetimewarp

Tried a disk check, all clear. About to try disconnecting the network cable. Will update in an hour or so.