• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Onboard sound card VS PCI sound card

Processor R7 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI x570 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Edge,EK QS P420M,EK D5pwm Revo Res
Memory 32gb Corsair Vengeance RT 3600 cl16
Video Card(s) Zotac 3070ti Amp Extreme
Storage Samsung 980pro 1tb x2
Display(s) MSI MPG321QRF QD
Case Corsair 7000D
Power Supply EVGA 1000 P2
Mouse G900
Keyboard Corsair k60 RGB PRO
Software Win 11
if not, try that 18$ card see what u think, i bet you will be shocked at the quility over even the a7n8x audio!!! and the auzentech cards, well u would poo urself :p

i doubt it, nvidia soundstorm rocked (it was a dedicated dsp which encoded/upmixed to dd live and cost nvidia too much to make, which is why theyve used normal codec chips since, and the asus has a good quality co-ax, better than other nf2's ive got (abit, leadtek(now dead), and an aopen xc cube)

Last edited:

Tan DJ

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
Motherboard Abit AN52 nVidia NF 520 HT2000 Socket AM2 Motherboard
Cooling Stock cooler, 1 rear 120cm fan, 1 front 120cm fan 1 side 80cm fan
Memory DDR2 4G(2x2G)PC6400 800Mhz Heatspreader G.Skill
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Storage SAMSUNG SP0802N 80Gb, 2 X Seagate SATAII NCQ 500GB 7200RPM 32mb Cache(ST3500320AS) - RAID1 (mobo)
Display(s) Benq FP72G
Case Thermaltake - Soprano
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650w
Software Windows XP Pro SP3
Benchmark Scores 3dMark6 - 4661
Back to the original thread-

I just tried Theme Park World with the PCI latency updated from 32 to 64, and it has not had any effect. It still stutters just as bad.

(By stuttering, i mean every now and then the game will pause and it will repeat about 1 second of sound between 5 and 20 times before going on again. It is so anoying.)

Is this caused by my hardware setup, or is it just an artefact of trying to run an old Win95 game on WinXP?

Casheti

You can do compatibility mode.

Right click the icon for the game, click compatibility tab, and then Windows 95.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Back to the original thread-

I just tried Theme Park World with the PCI latency updated from 32 to 64, and it has not had any effect. It still stutters just as bad.

(By stuttering, i mean every now and then the game will pause and it will repeat about 1 second of sound between 5 and 20 times before going on again. It is so anoying.)

Is this caused by my hardware setup, or is it just an artefact of trying to run an old Win95 game on WinXP?

Hey. I think I have Theme Park World, too. It was pretty glitchy on Windows XP, if I remember right. I'll dig the CD up and try to install it again. Try the compatibility mode and also see if there are any game patches that you can download. Sometimes, problems like this are due to the game itself.

You can find the V2.0 Patch here.

www.themeparkworld.com said:
Fixed in V2.0
Generic

* Halloween ride Tentacle Terror now breaks down correctly.
* Improved 1st person cross-hair.
* Fixed the "All Visitors List" problem.
* Corrected the display of 'selected Address' in the "E-mail address" window.
* CTRL + left-click mouse to copy an item correctly.
* Tuned 1st person camcorder mode to stop players getting stuck near fences.
* Fixed bug when undoing already placed queue blocks.
* Updated error message reporting in online lobby.
* Wheels on the coasters now go round!
* Coaster sounds should all stop/start correctly now.

* Players can no longer vote for their own park.
* Only one vote per day allowed.
* Downloads can now be aborted by pressing escape.
* Players can't now blackmark or 'Goto' themselves.
* First-person online now moves your avatar around correctly.
* Error message if you reply while visiting a park without having been asked anything yet.
* Avatars are now more distinguishable in chat (twice as big).
* When using the 'Goto' function there is now an added confirmation. 'Goto' will now take you to another player's position if in the same park.

Miscellaneous

* Save/Load bug fixed.
* Exits from rides can be placed 'under' track rides and the bridges are built correctly.
* Dual Voodoo3 cards now supported.
* Faster 1st person mode.
* There is a resolution.sam file that enables higher resolutions to be utilised.
* The camera zoom can be unlocked with CTRL-SHIFT-ALT Space.
* Bug in Challenges has been fixed.

AshenSugar

Processor Athlon64 3500+(2.2gz)@2.94gz(3.03gz)
Motherboard Biostar Tforce550 (RMA) (m2n-sli delux)
Cooling PIB cooler
Memory 2gb ocz 533 +1gb samsung 533 4-4-4-12
Video Card(s) x1900xtx 512mb+zalman vf900 cooler(kicks stock coolers arse)
Storage 80gb,200gb,250gb,160gb
Display(s) 20.1 in dell 2001fp + KDS visual sensations 19"
Case Codegen briza seirse
Audio Device(s) ADI SoundMax HD audio onboard,using Ket's driver pack
Power Supply FSP 400watt SAGA seirse w/noise killer
Software Windows 2003 ent server as workstation(kills xp in perf and stab)
* Dual Voodoo3 cards now supported.

ROFL

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
the only difference is the quality of the sound. Unless you want to spend 200$ on a sound card for some really good sound with loads of features, I suggest you stick with the onboard. Unless you get a sound card with X-RAM, you wont be noticing any real difference in permormance.

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
as stated b4 many times creative has yet to prove xram does anything for game perf

ktr

ms is trying to do away with "eax" as it is now, moving to use OpenAL based sound in vista, most game makers are starting to see that eax3/4/5 arent getting them any extra sales but causting them extra on game dev, most off the shelf avrage gamers dont buy an addin sound card or if they do its a cheapo one with via,cmi,Crystal (cirus logic) or an old cheap creative card that only supports eax2 and lower.

i did some reading :toast: ...majority from the wiki :rockout:

1) OpenAL is hosted (and largely developed) by Creative Labs with on-going support from Apple.

Speak of the devil :pimp:

2) EAX has nothing to do with actual 3D audio positioning. Positioning is done by Microsoft's DirectSound3D API. An alternative to DirectSound3D, called Open Audio Library (OpenAL), surfaced in 2003 in several titles. OpenAL allows direct hardware acceleration of audio, like DirectSound, including EAX.

So basically the comment "ms is trying to do away with "eax" as it is now, moving to use OpenAL based sound in vista" is false because eax and OpenAL are different. Also M$ already has Directsound, why do they want to replace their own product?

3) Creative was not content with the situation when the world bestseller didn't use hardware DirectSound, to say nothing of the latest EAX, which would have allowed high-quality 3D sound algorithms.[..]Support for DirectSound + all existing EAX4 features was hardly introduced by rewriting the audio code from scratch. Creative had to overhaul the entire OpenAL and release a special new version.

Creative is not happy being one of the worlds highest provider of soundcards, which lack Directsound. To implement DirectSound, Creative would have to rewrite the audio code from scratch, which will cause Game Devs to recode the game (and possibly any software that produces sound) and drivers to be remade. So Creative had to overhaul and implemented OpenAL so that they can achieve a similar DirectSound, w/o the trouble.

OpenAL has nothing to do with replacing EAX, but accepting it as a practical counterpart for DirectSound.

4) Programmers should use OpenAL API for full control of all available modes and functions. To get maximum gains, we should unpack samples from OGG, MP3 formats into on-board X-RAM, when a game level is being preloaded into memory. But even old applications can benefit from X-RAM, as samples will be cached.

X-ram in layman terms is audio cache and cache is "A temporary storage area where frequently accessed data can be stored for rapid access." Frequently used sound samples will be decompress in to raw data and will be quickly accessible. If "Programmers should use OpenAL API", average reported FPS performance to +25%

(tested on a modified UT2k4 which used OpenAL API ; basic is the same xfi card with x-ram force off)

Xfi is mainly good for gaming, but doesn't show performance gains in synthetic tests.

"Does X-RAM provide real advantage in games? It does, but it can be said for sure only about new games that were created in cooperation with Creative programmers. There are only a few such games so far, but they are all hits: DOOM3 1.3, DOOM3:ROE, Quake4, BattleField 2, BattleField 2:SF. Taking into account that EAX5/X-RAM SDK has been released only recently, we have some grounds for optimism – we may have more games soon. But as OpenAL is too slow to take roots among developers because of its differences from DirectSound, we can make a conclusion that the situation will not change much here."

In conclusion, it seems Creative holds the upper hand in future audio products. Also, i have a feeling that is post is gonna get raped with arguments. This post is to inform you that there was intention from Creative for X-RAM...not to say creative is the best and everything else is crap, because i say X-fi sucks (basically a beta sound card), but seems to have potential

Last edited:

AshenSugar

Cooling PIB cooler
not gonna rape it, just point out that MS dosnt want to deal with EAX dirrectly but from what i have read wants to deal with it via OpenAL, they are trying to standrdise everything so that games can be developed easyer for all platforms(such as xbx360 and pc's getting the same titles without huge perf diffrances and porting delays)

Creative dosnt like playing nice with other companys, many have tryed to work with them to improve OpenAL so it would gain wider use, but they are lot like Nvidia they want things their way or they arent gonna play with you.

And i have at least 5 or 6 fairly current games that use openal, alot of game makers are starting to imbrace it for a few reasions, one major one being its more cross platform then directsound, openal can work on any os, so they can support mac(current macs) with alot less effort if they just use OAL insted of ds, and yes game devs are starting to see linux/unix(osx is a form of bsd unix) as a market, mainly from what i have seen due to Apple moving macs to PC chips allowing far easyer porting(just a recompile to run on unix insted of win32)

i know some people who are game devs, they all say the same thing , now that mac is PC/x86 based they are working to support it, mac users will spend more for their games per copy then pc users will(i have seen them spend 2x as much or more to buy a game!!!!) this wouldnt work with directsound or d3d because ms dosnt want dx to be crossplatform, BUT openAL is crossplatform....blah

basickly when i said what i said i wasnt being clear about what i ment, eax as it is now isnt friendly with diffrent types of hardware or with Vista, but using OpenAL to access/support EAX is more....friendly i guess you could say, it means ms wont have to deal with trying to give xbx360 EAX3-4-5-6-----support(they couldnt leigaly because creative dosnt licence them out)

corse ms could just buy out creative, im sure bill can afford it ;)....humm that might not be all bad, at least ms is better at patching stuff they make so its at least useable :p

Tan DJ

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
Motherboard Abit AN52 nVidia NF 520 HT2000 Socket AM2 Motherboard
Cooling Stock cooler, 1 rear 120cm fan, 1 front 120cm fan 1 side 80cm fan
Memory DDR2 4G(2x2G)PC6400 800Mhz Heatspreader G.Skill
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT
Storage SAMSUNG SP0802N 80Gb, 2 X Seagate SATAII NCQ 500GB 7200RPM 32mb Cache(ST3500320AS) - RAID1 (mobo)
Display(s) Benq FP72G
Case Thermaltake - Soprano
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650w
Software Windows XP Pro SP3
Benchmark Scores 3dMark6 - 4661
Hey. I think I have Theme Park World, too. It was pretty glitchy on Windows XP, if I remember right. I'll dig the CD up and try to install it again. Try the compatibility mode and also see if there are any game patches that you can download. Sometimes, problems like this are due to the game itself.

You can find the V2.0 Patch here.

I got Theme Park World to work using this WinXP fix: http://www.adamhearn.co.uk/games/themeparkworld/tpwwin2kfix.html It doesn't work at all if I set the compatibility mode.