• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a good 1090t cooler that sits high.

Processor AMD FX 8350 Black Edition @ 4.2Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory Samsung Green 16GB 30nm 1600Mhz DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD 7950 DD 3GB @ 850/5000Mhz
Storage 240GB Intel 520 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27" QHD
Case Fractal Design R5 Black
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760W
Mouse Corsair Raptor M40
Keyboard Corsair Raptor K50
Software Windows 10 Pro
i wouldnt go with the H50 either, had it when i got the CPU new and it didnt perform as well as i thought it would.. hitting 70c when overclocked to 3.8ghz..

im getting much better results now with my Frio. i would try the H70 instead :)

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
I have had all three coolers. I do not agree that the H70 is on-par with the D14, at all. Very recently used them all on 1155, 1156, and AM3.

Add in to it the silence of the D14, and the D14 wins, hands down.

I'm the only reviewer exploring actual CPU power consumption via EPS 8-pin. The D14 has a higher capacity to remove heat under large loads like the AMD Thuban chips have while overclocked. Heck, even @ stock, I can pull 150W through my 1100T. I can't get anywhere NEAR that with 1155, even @ 4.8 GHz. Same thing with 1156.

Intel chips do not put out heat like AMD chips do, so while your expereince is valid with 1156 chips, AM3 is a whole different ball game. I know reported temps are very differnt, but temps do not really tell you much, when it comes to CPU power consumption.

You must be really overvolting a thuban to get it to run hot even at 4 ghz. Or intel is pulling power from elsewhere. They don't use that much juice.

edit: or both. Even anand himself couldn't make up wild power numbers for the 1100T. 200w total system power draw at load for it.

Last edited:

LordJummy

System Name Workstation1 | Asus G55VW-DS71
Processor i7 970 3.8GHz | i7 3610QM
Motherboard RIII Formula
Cooling EK 360 Supreme HF | Asus G55VW
Memory 24GB Dominator | 12GB DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x Diamond HD 6970 | GTX 660M
Storage 2x Vertex4 256GB | 256GB Vertex4 & 750GB HDD
Display(s) 3x Crossover 27" LED S-IPS + 30" DELL IPS
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro + Gigaworks G550W
Power Supply HX1000 + NZXT Black Sleeved Extensions
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
This thread just got interesting :D

System Name Legendary
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Cooling NH-D14
Memory 8gb G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 580 Lightning
Storage 1x M4 128GB, 3x HD103SJ, 1x HD204UI
Display(s) Hannspree HF259H
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty Professional
Power Supply Corsair TX850W
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
How are they a gimmick exactly? If you're going to say something like that you have to at least explain why you said it. I have used many air coolers, full water in the past as well, and the H50 and H70 are not "gimmicks". They actually perform quite well given their size.

Please explain, because I am really interested to know why they are gimmicks.

Because you can pretty much always find air coolers that perform better for about the same price. Now the Corsair H50 for $40 at Best Buy is a great deal, but let's look at retail prices. The cheapest you can get an H70 online is about $100 shipped. You can actually buy a Thermalright Silver Arrow for cheaper for around $85 shipped and it performs better. H50 also gets bested by other air coolers in it's price range (e.g. Mugen 2 with better fans, Venomous X, etc).

If one wants to actually go water cooling, for around $150 a decent loop can be assembled that is going to outperform all the close looped water kits. That is why I consider them gimmicks.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You must be really overvolting a thuban to get it to run hot even at 4 ghz. Or intel is pulling power from elsewhere. They don't use that much juice.

edit: or both. Even anand himself couldn't make up wild power numbers for the 1100T. 200w total system power draw at load for it.

Nope. Sorry. I'm afraid there are many mis-conceptions when it comes to CPU power consumption.

My temps are not high, at all. But, I'm still pulling near 275W @ 4 GHz, and 155W @ stock 3.3ghz, all 6 cores loaded. CPU doesn't break 50c. Sandybridge @ 4.5 GHz, I pull 122W, and around 80W at stock.

Temps are not important here. What is important, is the amount of power pulled through the CPU, and coverted to heat.

AMD and Intel have very different processes, that dissipate heat very differently. There is no direct correlation between the two because of this, so in the end, you cannot compare temps from one platform to the next. What you can compare, however, is the amount of power used by each CPU...and 275W is much, much more than 122W. More than double, obviously.

As to the veracity of my power numbers, I'd be more than happy to show video of exactly how much power the system pulls from the 8-pin alone. I use this equipment and it's numbers in my reviews, so you can be damn sure I'm posting facts, and not fiction. Fact of the matter is that I push systems far harder than anyone else on the net, and quite purposefully. All you guys that won't run Prime95 for 48 hours, becuase it takes too long...don't know what you are missing.:laugh:

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Because you can pretty much always find air coolers that perform better for about the same price. Now the Corsair H50 for $40 at Best Buy is a great deal, but let's look at retail prices. The cheapest you can get an H70 online is about $100 shipped. You can actually buy a Thermalright Silver Arrow for cheaper for around $85 shipped and it performs better. H50 also gets bested by other air coolers in it's price range (e.g. Mugen 2 with better fans, Venomous X, etc).

If one wants to actually go water cooling, for around $150 a decent loop can be assembled that is going to outperform all the close looped water kits. That is why I consider them gimmicks.

First of all: I think you are confused about the definition of "gimmick".

Secondly: Price has absolutely nothing to do with it being a gimmick or not. Price also isn't always the determining factor for everyone. For a lot of people on this forum price seems to be everything, but to some there are other factors that are important.

I replaced a high end air cooler ( which will not be named, because it will only start more wars ) with the H70 recently because I wanted a more low profile, simple, and decent performing cooler that I could OC to 4.2 HT with. It did the job perfectly, and the $80 price tag I got it for at Fry's was not a factor. It actually performs much better than I initially thought, and it really shines at high OC's in m experience. It might have slightly higher idle temps than my air cooler but that I do not care about. It idles in the 30's at 4Ghz+ with HT. And load is at 69c at 4.0GHz. That is not a gimmick. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, and it costs more because its' construction is more costly.

Definition of gimmick:

an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.
a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.
a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance.

Processor OCed 5800X3D
Motherboard Asucks C6H
Cooling Air
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) OCed 6800XT
Storage NVMees
Display(s) 32" Dull curved 1440
Case Freebie glass idk
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser
Power Supply Don't even remember
Nope. Sorry. I'm afraid there are many mis-conceptions when it comes to CPU power consumption.

My temps are not high, at all. But, I'm still pulling near 275W @ 4 GHz, and 155W @ stock 3.3ghz, all 6 cores loaded. CPU doesn't break 50c. Sandybridge @ 4.5 GHz, I pull 122W, and around 80W at stock.

Temps are not important here. What is important, is the amount of power pulled through the CPU, and coverted to heat.

AMD and Intel have very different processes, that dissipate heat very differently. There is no direct correlation between the two because of this, so in the end, you cannot compare temps from one platform to the next. What you can compare, however, is the amount of power used by each CPU...and 275W is much, much more than 122W. More than double, obviously.

As to the veracity of my power numbers, I'd be more than happy to show video of exactly how much power the system pulls from the 8-pin alone. I use this equipment and it's numbers in my reviews, so you can be damn sure I'm posting facts, and not fiction. Fact of the matter is that I push systems far harder than anyone else on the net, and quite purposefully. All you guys that won't run Prime95 for 48 hours, becuase it takes too long...don't know what you are missing.:laugh:

Then I'm betting VRMs. The chip would be cooking and the MB eventually pop when overclocked.

System Name Legendary
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling NH-D14
Case HAF 932
First of all: I think you are confused about the definition of "gimmick".

Secondly: Price has absolutely nothing to do with it being a gimmick or not. Price also isn't always the determining factor for everyone. For a lot of people on this forum price seems to be everything, but to some there are other factors that are important.

I replaced a high end air cooler ( which will not be named, because it will only start more wars ) with the H70 recently because I wanted a more low profile, simple, and decent performing cooler that I could OC to 4.2 HT with. It did the job perfectly, and the $80 price tag I got it for at Fry's was not a factor. It actually performs much better than I initially thought, and it really shines at high OC's in m experience. It might have slightly higher idle temps than my air cooler but that I do not care about. It idles in the 30's at 4Ghz+ with HT. And load is at 69c at 4.0GHz. That is not a gimmick. It does exactly what it's supposed to do, and it costs more because its' construction is more costly.

Definition of gimmick:

an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem, especially one designed to attract attention or increase appeal.
a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good must have a gimmick in it somewhere.
a hidden mechanical device by which a magician works a trick or a gambler controls a game of chance.

I'm not here to argue about what the definition of a gimmick is, I know what it means. To me, I consider it a gimmick as in "something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity." People seem to be interested in these prebuilt closed loops, but for the price air coolers still outperform them. I think price is a major factor in considering a CPU cooler. And I'm not alone in thinking they are gimmicks, go ahead and google search H50 gimmick.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Then I'm betting VRMs. The chip would be cooking and the MB eventually pop when overclocked.

Actually, yes, 275W is the max of the VRM on the board I am currently using, so actually running 4GHz is impossible. The board outright shuts down before taking any damage, but yeah, it's very concerning.

I'm using some pretty exceptional watercooling, and it's having a hard time keeping up. From idle to load I'm seeing a near 20c increase in coolant temps. It's crazy stuff.

The H70 wasn't enough. Hence my recommending the D14. I mean sure, I do not think any regular usage is going to come near the numbers I get, but the fact of the matter is that I can get them, so others can as well.

You know, I'm reviewing motherboards, so I'm very purposefully pushing to the limit. I take my job here pretty seriously, so I push my hardware seriously. No big deal to me. I very much AM trying to break it. Wouldn't you like to know the real abuse a product can take?

But boy, the difference between AMD and Intel is like night and day. I'm glad Bulldozer is close, becuase Sandybridge completely embarrases Thuban's performance. The bar for Bulldozer is set quite high.

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
I'm not here to argue about what the definition of a gimmick is, I know what it means. To me, I consider it a gimmick as in "something designed to attract extra attention, interest, or publicity." People seem to be interested in these prebuilt closed loops, but for the price air coolers still outperform them. I think price is a major factor in considering a CPU cooler. And I'm not alone in thinking they are gimmicks, go ahead and google search H50 gimmick.

Again, it's not a gimmick. You think because some guy on a forum 3 years ago said the H50 is a gimmick that makes it a fact? Interesting.

Designing something to attract attention is one thing (and that's called marketing).

Designing something that WORKS that also attracts attention because of its' unique looks & performance: SMART

I actually own one of them. It works. It is not a gimmick. It was the same price as my previous high end air cooler. You have no grounds for debate here.

System Name Legendary
Processor i5 2500k
Cooling NH-D14
Case HAF 932
Again, it's not a gimmick. You think because some guy on a forum 3 years ago said the H50 is a gimmick that makes it a fact? Interesting.

Designing something to attract attention is one thing (and that's called marketing).

Designing something that WORKS that also attracts attention because of its' unique looks & performance: SMART

I actually own one of them. It works. It is not a gimmick. It was the same price as my previous high end air cooler. You have no grounds for debate here.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5 people calling it a gimmick.

umadbro? Welcome to the Internet, where people have opinions. Again, I said this is my opinion, and it's not like I'm the only one who thinks this way.

Oh, and some relevant information to the original topic. On Superbiiz you can get the Venomous X for $64.99 shipped, and if you check the main page they usually run some sort of promo code like 15% off or $10 off every now and then, just keep an eye out.

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
1, 2, 3, 4, 5 people calling it a gimmick.

umadbro? Welcome to the Internet, where people have opinions. Again, I said this is my opinion, and it's not like I'm the only one who thinks this way.

Oh, and some relevant information to the original topic. On Superbiiz you can get the Venomous X for $64.99 shipped, and if you check the main page they usually run some sort of promo code like 15% off or $10 off every now and then, just keep an eye out.

I just had a really nice chuckle. Thank you for the entertainment :)

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
Lots of people try and fight against innovation. They like to stick with what they know. People often don't want to change. They fear it. It happens in all levels of the social structure, economy, and industry. There will always be people like Dopamin3 who will fight against innovation and change at all cost. He wants to defend his air cooler. That's fine. I own one myself. It's great. However, change is inevitable. Air coolers will soon be going the way of the dinosaur. It's only natural that consumer cooling evolves and moves towards more advanced methods. These top performing air coolers are reaching the pinnacle of what's possible with heat-sinks and fans. There is not much left to improve on, and soon (relatively) they will be phased out.

So it is perfectly natural that people want to fight against these innovations, but it is inevitable that change will come. That, and the performance doesn't lie. It's only getting better, too...

At any rate: the NH-D14 is a highly recommended cooler. It just about breaks even with my H70 on every OC setting I've done. It just comes down to preference these days. There are so many high performance coolers that you can choose.

System Name Zeh's Dragon
Processor i7 920 @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS 0901
Cooling Cooler Master V8 @ 38C - (up to) 70C (Open Air)
Memory OCZ 3X1333LV2G @ 9-9-9-24 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 275 @ 690/1539/1280
Storage 640GB Caviar Black - 1TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Flatron 1900E BF
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) On Board sound @ 5.1
Power Supply TX850W
LordJummy, I think I get what you and Dopamin3 are talking about here.

Dopamin3 is not saying water cooling is bad or that he does not approve it and it should be destroyed. What he is saying is that closed loops are not good because the do not perform as good as air coolers at the same price level.

Does that mean they are trash? Of course not.

That only means that, if you do not want a lot a small yet powerful cooling solution, you should consider the possibility you can spend less and get the same if not better performance.

Water cooling is the future? Not for everyone. It is too fancy, costly and hard to maintain if you're not savvy like the people here. That's the truth from what I've been reading here.

I wish I could afford to water cool my PC, but it turns out that "innovation" (water cooling is not new, really) is not for everyone.

LordJummy

Motherboard RIII Formula
Software Win7Ult64Bit
Benchmark Scores ballz
LordJummy, I think I get what you and Dopamin3 are talking about here.

Dopamin3 is not saying water cooling is bad or that he does not approve it and it should be destroyed. What he is saying is that closed loops are not good because the do not perform as good as air coolers at the same price level.

Does that mean they are trash? Of course not.

That only means that, if you do not want a lot a small yet powerful cooling solution, you should consider the possibility you can spend less and get the same if not better performance.

Water cooling is the future? Not for everyone. It is too fancy, costly and hard to maintain if you're not savvy like the people here. That's the truth from what I've been reading here.

I wish I could afford to water cool my PC, but it turns out that "innovation" (water cooling is not new, really) is not for everyone.

I think you completely missed the point of what I was saying. I didn't even say water cooling was the future. Water cooling has been around forever.

/unsubscribe

System Name Zeh's Dragon
Processor i7 920 @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard P6T Deluxe V2 BIOS 0901
Cooling Cooler Master V8 @ 38C - (up to) 70C (Open Air)
Memory OCZ 3X1333LV2G @ 9-9-9-24 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) 2x GTX 275 @ 690/1539/1280
Storage 640GB Caviar Black - 1TB Caviar Green
Display(s) Flatron 1900E BF
Case HAF 922
Audio Device(s) On Board sound @ 5.1
Power Supply TX850W
LordJummy, when you say "Innovations" it meas they are something to be used or applied in the future.

>>PhoeniX<<

System Name FrosTByTe*
Processor AMD Athlon II X2 3.5Ghz
Motherboard MSI 880GM-E35
Cooling Rocketfish Universal CPU cooler. Push/Pull
Memory G. Skill Rip. 4GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) PNY GTS450 850/1850-
Storage WD 250GB
Display(s) Acer 20" LED
Case Dell Dimension 2400 Mod
Audio Device(s) Realtek Onboard HD audio
Power Supply 600w OCZ w. Custom LED fan
Software Win7 Home Premium 64bit
Cooler? lol I did manage to squeeze my dual 92mm CPU cooler over my ram, but it is still not giving me the temps I want. But it will hold out for a bit, just ordered a phantom for 120.00 USD on Newegg. So I will see if that helps. Right now my rig is currently chillin on a motherboard box with a huge fan over it. :)

System Name KAREN / EVA / GHOST
Processor Intel Core i7-950 / AMD Phenom II X4 940 BE / Core i5 3570k
Motherboard ASUS TUF Sabertooth X58 / DFI LP DK 790FXB-M2RSH / Asrock z77e-itx
Cooling Thermaltake Frio / Corsair Cooling™ Hydro Series H50 / Corsair Hydro Series H60
Memory Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 1600 / Corsair Dominator Quad2X4096-8500C5DF / G.SKILL Ripjaws Serie 1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD6950 CF unlocked /XFX HD5770 CF/ MSI R4890 Cyclone
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 60 WD Raptor X WD1500AHFD / Seagate Barracuda /Western Digital 80gb, Toshiba 1TB
Display(s) 2 Acer P215H 21.5 Widescreen / Acer S211HL 21.5 / HP 2009F 20inch
Case SILVERSTONE RAVEN RV02-BW / NZXT Phantom /Bitfenix Prodigy
Audio Device(s) On board / Philips MMS 321 - PC multimedia speakers
Power Supply Ultra X3 ULT40311 1000W / Cosair CMPSU-750TX 750W/ CORSAIR Gaming Series GS700 700W
Software Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 7 64 bit / Windows 7 64 bit
Ok so I am running my 890FXA-GD70 with 8GB G. Skill Ram. I have a tri crossfire config and my cheap 30$ best buy cooler is just not cutting it for me..

The DRmos chipset cooler is releatively high, same with the ram (Even though the ram is lowpro :rolleyes:). So I need a cooler that sits somewhat high from the actual CPU.

My primary choices are:

The CM V8 although I do not like the whole idea of the PCI bracket deal, considering I have only 7 slots. 6 for my cards, and one for my lighting. The CM V6 even though I don't like the idea of having to route a molex connector up there. And the ThermalTake Frio. Although I do not think it will sit high enough. I really would like to mount it, airflow horizontal. Because I do not want to just suck heat off my primary card.

Suggestions? Looking to spend around 50-60 bucks.. But the cheaper the better. The pic is the space I have.

I picked the H50 or the H60 because of what the OP stated. I have the FRIO but it cant cool this i7 lol. My little bro and his wife have the FRIO on their 1090t's and it works fine but then again the chips are stock. I think the H50 and the H60 would out do the FRIO if they were in push / pull.