• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newbie with stupid newbie question about HS/fan for X1950 Pro

C'Dalerider

Processor A64 4000+
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
Cooling Zalman 9500
Memory 2GB Corsair XMS DDR
Video Card(s) BBA X1950 Pro
Storage Seagate 160GB SATA
Display(s) Westinghouse 22" Widescreen LCD
Case Cooler Master Centurion 5
Audio Device(s) Turtle Beach Montego Klipsch 2.1
Power Supply Antec TP500
Software Win XP Pro
Over the past week or so, through a bit of perseverance and luck, I bought a retail BBA Radeon X1950 Pro video card and a Zalman VF900-CU LED hs/fan for a ridiculously cheap price....and I mean ridiculous! But after doing a lot of reading on a few forums, I think I may have purchased the wrong hs/fan.

I thought the Zalman was one of the preferred hs/fan combos out there, but quite a few seem to recommend the Accelero 2 as the hs to really own for best performance for the X1950 Pro.

Should I go ahead and install the darned thing or take it back and order the Accelero 2?

Some background info:

System includes an Athlon64 4000+ OC'd to 3.0GHz with a Zalman 9500 cooler, 2GB Corsair XMS DDR, an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mb, Seagate SATA hd, Win XP Pro, all housed in a Cooler Master Centurion 5 case w/3 fans....80 front, 80 side panel, and 120 rear exhaust. I am currently using the stock hs/fan on the X1950 and the Catalyst 6.12 drivers, and I know you all will beat me about the head and shoulders for this....the CCC.

I have used the CCC to overclock the card to 621 core, 770 memory (I have had the memory up to 789, but had artifacts after about a half-hour of gaming.) It was stable until that point and I think the problem was probably heat related.....temp at the time was over 70C.

So, run with the Zalman or go for the Accelero or any better suggestions?

Thanks for the help with the newb here. :)

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Over the past week or so, through a bit of perseverance and luck, I bought a retail BBA Radeon X1950 Pro video card and a Zalman VF900-CU LED hs/fan for a ridiculously cheap price....and I mean ridiculous! But after doing a lot of reading on a few forums, I think I may have purchased the wrong hs/fan.

I thought the Zalman was one of the preferred hs/fan combos out there, but quite a few seem to recommend the Accelero 2 as the hs to really own for best performance for the X1950 Pro.

Should I go ahead and install the darned thing or take it back and order the Accelero 2?

Some background info:

System includes an Athlon64 4000+ OC'd to 3.0GHz with a Zalman 9500 cooler, 2GB Corsair XMS DDR, an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe mb, Seagate SATA hd, Win XP Pro, all housed in a Cooler Master Centurion 5 case w/3 fans....80 front, 80 side panel, and 120 rear exhaust. I am currently using the stock hs/fan on the X1950 and the Catalyst 6.12 drivers, and I know you all will beat me about the head and shoulders for this....the CCC.

I have used the CCC to overclock the card to 621 core, 770 memory (I have had the memory up to 789, but had artifacts after about a half-hour of gaming.) It was stable until that point and I think the problem was probably heat related.....temp at the time was over 70C.

So, run with the Zalman or go for the Accelero or any better suggestions?

Thanks for the help with the newb here. :)
The Zalman VF-900 is not a bad cooler at all. :toast:
Some of the guys recommend Accelero X2 because it came with their card, and it is good.
I am still waiting to get my Accelero X2, but if you have the Zalman then use it!

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
how good is the ventilation in your case? One important thing to remember with a Zalman is , the card doesnt send the heat out of the case as other coolers do! you may get away easy with 1 well placed fan to move the air away form the card and out of the case. Just a though for you to ponder since i have used both styles

I do prefer the Zalman , temps went down when installed with my setup . Like i said tho i already had 2 fans from front blowing and 1 in back to draw out what I'm pushing from the front!!!

Hope this helps!

ny_driver

System Name Overclock_Machine
Processor DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
Motherboard Opteron 146(3746MHz)
Cooling A/C Chiller w/ mod-Apogee XT/EK-FC4890 Special Edition
Memory 2 x 512MB OCZ Gold VX PC4000
Video Card(s) HD4890-Sapphire OC Edition
Display(s) Acer G235H-23" LCD
Case no, thanks
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Corsair TX-850w
Software Tiny7/XP
Benchmark Scores 6.625Ghz 965BE - CPU-Z 25,607 points 3dmark06 - 2 cards@952/1050
how good is the ventilation in your case? One important thing to remember with a Zalman is , the card doesnt send the heat out of the case as other coolers do! you may get away easy with 1 well placed fan to move the air away form the card and out of the case. Just a though for you to ponder since i have used both styles

I do prefer the Zalman , temps went down when installed with my setup . Like i said tho i already had 2 fans from front blowing and 1 in back to draw out what I'm pushing from the front!!!

Hope this helps!

A Silverstone 120 mm exhaust fan placed on the outside of the side cover accross from the cpu works really good for me. Much cooler than having the side cover off. Cutting the hole can be tricky, as the metal is really too thin for a torch, but it was worth the effort.:pimp:
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nydriver/closeup.JPG

An intake below the video card works very well too in conjunction with the front intake fan and the side exhaust.

Last edited:
A Silverstone 120 mm exhaust fan placed on the outside of the side cover accross from the cpu works really good for me. Much cooler than having the side cover off. Cutting the hole can be tricky, as the metal is really too thin for a torch, but it was worth the effort.:pimp:
http://home.twcny.rr.com/nydriver/closeup.JPG

An intake below the video card works very well too in conjunction with the front intake fan and the side exhaust.

lol? Did you know that hole is supposed to be the intake?
Your GPU is probably starving for air. Btw the case is sorta ghetto but, VF900 is decent in your case (no pun intended :) ). Only thing I have to say that you need to learn a bit more about the ATX form factor.

However ACCELROX2 will do much better (3 Heatpipes)

ny_driver

System Name Overclock_Machine
Processor DFI LP UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert
Motherboard Opteron 146(3746MHz)
Cooling A/C Chiller w/ mod-Apogee XT/EK-FC4890 Special Edition
Memory 2 x 512MB OCZ Gold VX PC4000
Video Card(s) HD4890-Sapphire OC Edition
Display(s) Acer G235H-23" LCD
Case no, thanks
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply Corsair TX-850w
Software Tiny7/XP
Benchmark Scores 6.625Ghz 965BE - CPU-Z 25,607 points 3dmark06 - 2 cards@952/1050
lol? Did you know that hole is supposed to be the intake?
Your GPU is probably starving for air.

At the bottom below the AGP slot(video card)...is 1 of the 2 intake fans, the other intake is in the standard front position. The 120mm on the side is the exhaust.:slap: right now my gpu is at 20c and cpu at 32c
Btw the case is sorta ghetto
but the case temperature is 13c and it sits in a closet

Last edited: