• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft unveils "Windows 8"

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
This is now significantly less cool than one of their concept ideas Tom's Hardware showed off about a month ago.

I am sad now cause this is not cool anymore.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
This OS is the tablet version,designed for touchscreens the real one comes 2 years later

I would agree, but the guy said "This IS the new version of Windows. It will run on laptops, desktops, touch-screen PCs and tablets" or words to that effect. To me, that seals it.

I hate it, I really do. But it's progress. We've been stuck with the same basic UI since 95 came out, it's about time they changed it.

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
I would agree, but the guy said "This IS the new version of Windows. It will run on laptops, desktops, touch-screen PCs and tablets" or words to that effect. To me, that seals it.

I hate it, I really do. But it's progress. We've been stuck with the same basic UI since 95 came out, it's about time they changed it.

its the same underlying programming but with a different gui, they are using the same os with a different gui this time round for compatibility reasons

expect to find in the shops

Microsoft windows 8 Home Tablet edition
Microsoft Windows 8 Home PC Edition
Microsoft windows 8 Ultimate Tablet & PC Edition
etc
etc
etc

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
if MS would work less on this UI crap and more on getting good features like better security, more recovery options for people getting infected with malware, better performance with hard drives, let the 3rd party themes work without UXTheme hacks, better networking, etc... then people would start to like MS more, but really this is so tiring.

and this metro UI would look downright silly in my house.... I got a dark fancy atmposhere and this interface looks like it belongs in some hipster whitebox "modernist" apartment

and also... we like our "old fashioned" guis they are stable and productive and we are all used to them and have them in muscle memory.... all these damn devs think they have to change them "cause they're bored" is not good! We get good results with our current GUIs.

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Processor Intel Pentium D 950 Presler
Motherboard Asus P5N-32 SLI
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 1GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800 GTX
Storage 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 17" CRT 1600x1200
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional
In other words, 90%+ of customers are going to hate Windows all over again. Microsoft has to learn to not f*** with features that aren't broke. If they don't learn, they will perish.

Not really. The business users are what built the empire, I will give you that. In any other decade you would be right regarding your assumptions. However the civilian consumers control the purchasing power now. But there are a few problems with this new consumer base, which I will outline:
People are stupid.:(
People are very stupid.:confused:
People do not know how to use computers.:cry:
People do not understand user interfaces.:mad:
People are stupid.:banghead:
By making the system as simple as possible for 1 billion customers who only use their PC for facebook, digital cameras, and youtube they will take the content control steering wheel from Apple. Most of these frigging people don't even create their own content, they just consume it (as has been outlined earlier).

The touch screen + media capable interfaces are not Microsoft's way of fucking with everybody. It is a industry trend. Industry...trend. Everybody is doing it. It works. It has worked since Zune. It is simple, it does not require explanation.

My grandfather can swipe his finger and see the weather. Done. I assume the PC can wake from a swipe, seems reasonable.

Right now, he has to turn the PC on, wait, log in, wait, double click firefox 12 times, wait, search for google in the google adress bar on his homepage, type in accuweather, wait, type in his zip code, wait, etc etc. I tried putting apps in his sidebar, but as soon as they pop up with a notification or "please update adobe" he considers it broken, and walks away. He can't use computers. People can't use computers.
PEOPLE NEED THIS UI.

there are tons of eye-candy and stuff

You are correct. Obviously any moving & scalable interface elements that present real data from files and software, harmoniously, is going to be power hungry. I don't see any eye candy though. The content windows were square, they had no bounding box, they were not transparent. It looks like it was stripped down to be faster.

Going back to the new customer base, I will say that Facebook's load time has little to do with the PC's overall performance. It can, if it is slow, but usually doesn't. If that is the only performance metric that the new user base has, then they won't even notice. Given that, what incentive does Microsoft have to fix your problems? No one else would even understand you if you tried to talk to them about it. "Pagefile? What is that? Have you seen that tweet from so-and-so?"

we all have to wait and see but if windows 8 wants to be more like Apple and i wanted a more apple like interface id just fucking buy apple herp derp lol

Ha ha, yeah. Realistically, this is a industry trend. If anything, the Metro UI was for the Zune, and technically predates the touch iPods. Microsoft released metro on November 14th, 2006. The ipod touch came out on September 13th, 2007. Microsoft Surface also predates the trend, which I believe was the labs child that led to this development.

Give MS all the shit you want, but they are king of the hill whether your head is in the sand or not. [not insinuating that your eyes are closed crazyeyesreaper :D ]

It's a lot like that pervasive rumor from yesteryear regarding Mac having been the originator for window-based user interfaces. The second part of the rumor was that Microsoft stole it, and we should all be ashamed! (I kid). When, if I recall correctly, Microsoft stole the interface from EDIT: Xerox (TY Red Machine). Who should be the leader in design here, patents be damned.

Most real industry leaders realize that Microsoft was first on the scene with stream lined interfaces that deliver content quickly and easily. You aren't going to see the power players (business customers) suddenly filling offices with Apple computers that can't run Solidworks or Costpoint just because the boss' 16 year old daughter hails the iPad as the pinnacle of Interface Design.

Last edited:
System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
if I recall correctly, Microsoft stole the interface from Kodak.

It was Xerox who created the first native computer GUI back in '81 with the Xerox Star. A lot of people (and sometimes even Apple themselves) think that Apple were the company that invented the GUI.

Microsoft didn't steal it from Apple anyway, they were being developed at the same time, Apple just got there first. They even had the gall to sue Microsoft because Windows looked too much like the Mac OS and they were required to remove a few features from it (such as overlapping windows and the ability to refresh background windows in realtime).

System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
It looks like Windows 7 with a new advanced version of Window Media Center embedded in its core functions.

It kinda of makes me feel like a console OS for the PC.

Not to diss it.

System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
Tiles are meant for floors.... NOT OPERATING SYSTEMS!

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
sorry but i want a desktop UI, not a tablet UI. i know they will have a legacy version or whatever, but why not just create two different and separate UIs. ugh, i hate this whole tablet BS.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
there is no way they could expect a business to implement this as their os. My guess is this is the GTX3XX thing with nvidia and windows 8 only goes to mobile platforms with another OS named something else being used for pc's.

@D4S4 : You updated your post about 2 seconds before I nuked it. :D

They are presenting a differnt UI, no more, no less. The detail will come out later.

Microsoft does legacy UI so people can choose when the new OS comes out.
Interestingly, once people get used to the new UI they use it.
Windows 7 UI is far superior to 95,2000 and XP and I, for one, don't want them to go back.
They may not have kept all their lofty promises, but if they do not try to innovate they will die.
They will not survive by sitting on their hands.

Just my opinion.

I agree and disagree.

You make excellent points, static companies disappear.

However one can tweak 7 to make it a usable OS with out resorting to legacy mode. (I forget the couple of tweaks needed, big one for me was the automatic windows resizing when you try and move messenger off the side of your 2nd or 3rd monitor :) make me hopping mad. )

Also the OS of tomorrow is going to be more cell phone like simply because the kids of today are used to that. I personally find smart phones to be counter intuitive.. but I am looking at it through more than 25 years of PC experience. I understand I will have to adapt, and hopefully will still be tweaking my OS (without resorting to legacy mode) to make it usable in 15-20 more years :)

I am surprised no one pointed out that Gigabytes new click bios also looks like a cell phone :)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Depending on the implementation of the tile UI, it could very well be embraced by companies.
If the tiles could be apps (instead of all the social BS they show), then they simply would become icon replacements and may be a lot easier for people in the workplace.

I'm just speculating here as it will all hinge on how they go about making it customizable for the varying needs of computer users.

i have a windows tablet and the research is not funny, but quite usefull instead.

of course like one said, you can not compare tablets and pc's. it is totally different

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I want this UI back. This was actually kinda interesting.

http://www.megatechnews.com/microsoft-shows-off-futuristic-new-ui/

No one here wanted Windows Phone 7 on their desktop. I don't like icons cluttering up my desktop, WTF makes them think making the icons 17 times larger would be any better. Its my desktop, I want application, not apps.

P.S. Yeah, it was a shameless plug too, but it was the one place I remembered the video still being linked to. And yes I know the Bubbles Interface is for Microsoft Surface 2, but hell this Metro UI crap is for tablets and smartphones.

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
But it's progress. We've been stuck with the same basic UI since 95 came out, it's about time they changed it.

How is this progress in any way? Increasing your feature set and core functionality is progress, screwing around with a UI that no one asked for is not progress. Even if this is purely for tablets and other mobile devices why would you want it? All the progress that is being made in mobile processors is for what? a shitty UI i would expect on a first generation touch screen device? No thanks :shadedshu

Thatguy

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/06/6-1-11-metro.jpg

Source

I hope they only use this OS UI for tablet and mobile Phones. I doubt microsoft will completely alienate the market with a mobile phone and tablet UI.

Maybe this will finally mark the death of windows and the begining of a diverse software ecosystem in which there are lots of operating systems.

If this is window8, they can keep this piece of shit. I am sure they will find a way to shove more DRM into the codebase to.

What a fucking pile.

Likely ok if you are addicted to squinting at tiny phone screen though.

I want this UI back. This was actually kinda interesting.

http://www.megatechnews.com/microsoft-shows-off-futuristic-new-ui/

No one here wanted Windows Phone 7 on their desktop. I don't like icons cluttering up my desktop, WTF makes them think making the icons 17 times larger would be any better. Its my desktop, I want application, not apps.

P.S. Yeah, it was a shameless plug too, but it was the one place I remembered the video still being linked to. And yes I know the Bubbles Interface is for Microsoft Surface 2, but hell this Metro UI crap is for tablets and smartphones.

Jesus thats even more fucking obnoxious.

A lot of vendors are pushing touch screen home PCs.
For the average user who has a touch screen at home and is into more of a social experience on their desktop, this will probably shine.

For gamers, overclockers and application users, it would probably more of a hinderance which would explain the "legacy" use option.

typing on a touch screen is a bad joke if you want to do it at a reasonable pace. if your a look and peck typist its not to bad.

Last edited by a moderator:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
thatguy, use the multi-quote button.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
lol i love the qoute touchscreen PCs at home... honestly look to your left... now look to your right, now look at the contacts list in your phone?? done yet? good now tell me how many out of the people you know and in your vicinity have a touch screen.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
This fact is mind boggling. Mac OS X should want to be like Windows because Windows has dominated the market for 30 years changing little. When Windows tries to be like Mac OS X, they bleed customers to Mac OS X. It is a strategy that is doomed to failure yet, it appears that they still pursue it. Mind...boggling.

Really not a great analogy for design intents.

The purpose of all UI design should at its heart be usability first. Otherwise, just use a CLI and save the resources.

Apple would never "want to be like windows", because windows presents a role similar to programs that you purchase: It's design cannot maintain transparency to the user. Apple sells a "machine" of which, the experience is to keep the OS transparent to the user, allowing one to do whatever you are doing. It's a fantastic design IMO.

This is definitely influenced by their Windows Phone experiences, but a panel display like that IMO isn't versatile enough for most users, unless it's a stripped down machine (READ: Tablet). I don't care about my stock rates, because I don't have any! The exact same reason I hide default applications on my iPhone.

Now, this bothers me:
There'll be two kinds of applications for Windows 8, one that runs in a traditional desktop, and the other pseudo-mobile apps based on HTML5 and Javascript...

Apple tried this "web app" idea. It does not work. Stop wasting time now, while you're still in the development phase, Microsoft. Google apps style or native apps only. There is no viable in between, unless you want to run Farmville. These apps do nothing but suck down bandwidth which mobile companies are trying to fight tooth and nail for every bit, provide high computational/battery requirements, and when given the power to properly use hardware, get's full of security flaws.

Back to a UI note, I have noticed uBuntu Unity, Gnome 3, OS X Lion have all been following a glamoury "get to the internet this way" method that I find absolutely disgusting. If this rate keeps up, I'm probably going to be a hardcore XFCE convert.

Thatguy

lol i love the qoute touchscreen PCs at home... honestly look to your left... now look to your right, now look at the contacts list in your phone?? done yet? good now tell me how many out of the people you know and in your vicinity have a touch screen.

it just makes me wanna jab my eyes out with s screw driver ! fuck a phone, and fuck that couch to. I use my phone to make calls, becuase I don't want to squint at the screen while I am trying to handle a bunch of audio tracks.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG