• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft unveils "Windows 8"

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I doubt it will be a problem in Windows 8 because Microsoft is leaving the option to go back to the Windows 7 interface. The concern lies in future releases of Windows beyond 8. As Microsoft killed the "classic start menu" in Windows 7, it is likely to kill the Windows 7 interface (barely acceptable as is) in Windows 9 or soon after. That's what irks me. Microsoft never listens.

I predict Windows 8 is going to receive a very negative reception if it so much as defaults to the tablet layout on non-touchpad devices--just as Windows Vista did before it.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
I used those at staples (the sony and the HP one) and they sucked. it was uncomfortable to use those for half an hour I did play around with it. if you use that all the time your arms get tired.

Yeah, exercise is a bitch at times.

Laughingman: of course i've seen them. they failed. they however were standalone odd products, and not something everyone was forced to use - its one thing for a company to risk a touch based desktop, and another for an OS manufacturer to force it upon everyone.

point in case, those systems sucked and were never popular. MS knows it wont work.

They did not fail as they all had very good sales figures. It is why MSI, Sony, Asus, Dell, etc. continues providing the OPTION <- (this word is important). And why HP is currently advertising their All-in-one PC in a TV commercial.

Microsoft didn't say they were forcing anything on anyone. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from making this an OPTION that you turn on and off. I don't see any reason why a single OS could not switch between UI's (in this case Aero and Metro). To be plain, the Windows Media Center does not use the same UI as the rest of Windows 7.

Microsoft is just taking time to build an OPTIONAL UI that is better suited and more focused on touch screen and tablet use. Two area's the default Win7 UI seems a bit unwieldy.

And the phrase is "Case in point".

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I doubt it will be a problem in Windows 8 because Microsoft is leaving the option to go back to the Windows 7 interface. The concern lies in future releases of Windows beyond 8. As Microsoft killed the "classic start menu" in Windows 7, it is likely to kill the Windows 7 interface (barely acceptable as is) in Windows 9 or soon after. That's what irks me. Microsoft never listens.

I predict Windows 8 is going to receive a very negative reception if it so much as defaults to the tablet layout on non-touchpad devices--just as Windows Vista did before it.

I like 7 more than the previous iterations of the GUI and I'm far more productive there than in XP/Vista with classic whatever enabled. With that said, I think MS will eventually move from the current GUI. It's called progression. And I honestly don't think they will be so stupid as to make a desktop OS exactly the same as a tablet OS without any possibilites to change it. It might not be exactly like what it is now, but well things change. Why change what is not broken you ask? We might not think it's broken until we tried new things. As I said above, I like Windows 7 a lot more than what it looked like before and it's to early if to say I will like or dislike future GUI's.

Microsoft never listens.

To whom?

Most people I've met like this new GUI more than classic.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Everyone that despised Vista. They added some sparkle (a different name and minor tweaks to the interface) and pretended it was something brand new. There's very little to like and a lot to hate.

Everyone I've encountered doesn't care for Windows Vista/7 but they tolerate it because it still better than the alternatives (Mac OS X and *nix) and they must (XP support is wanning).

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i really wish game studios would develop popular games for *nix. blah.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
well hello their im said windows fan i had 95 me xp vista(basic) then win7 ulty and its STILL possible to get a CMD screen up and use the all new start button lmao in the same way as you used too its just more configurable(but the effin same just round),
the bare truth is they have allways improved it even with vista(imho it was mostly driver issues anyway) yet they have not taken anything away id ever use, and i mess more then most.
i am just seeing a new and improved media center slapped into the start menu lmao so its all you see at load id wager the start menu button will still bring up the same start menu.

too early to say not really that different its just media center on crack(you can load progs/games str8 from the old one;) media center i mean,not that i would )

Thatguy

demand a choice in operating systems? do explain...

look up the patato famine, homogonous populations are dangerous and susceptible to failure.

There i corrected that for you although LXDE i dont think is anywhere near as supported as XFCE is.

Secondly i want to know where it says for definite this is the REAL next PC version of Windows. You are all unfairly judging this exactly like i said before in this thread. I don't want a tablet UI on my PC because it doesn't work but im not bashing this OS until I've seen it and its confirmed its definitely having all those tablet features in the PC version.

With all the jumping to conclusions it reminds me of this quote... "This firm requires no physical-fitness program. Everyone gets enough exercise jumping to conclusions, flying of the handle, running down the boss, flogging dead horses, knifing friends in the back, dodging responsibility and pushing their luck."

EDIT:

I dont understand either because there are plenty of choices for operating systems for example: BSD, Linux, Unix and Mac OS... Hell even Amiga OS for PPC.

Try to get drivers and software for anything but linux,mac,windows. When I mean choice I mean at least 10 or more solid Operating systems with a diverse population of applications, kind of how phones are now. The carriers and manufacturers keep the ecosystem diverse, which is a very good thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
look up the patato famine, homogonous populations are dangerous and susceptible to failure.

its spelt potato actually
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
When i was using XP, i used a vista pc and liked it so much i upgraded, now i'm on vista i used a windows 7 pc and didn't think it was worth the money - windows 8 will only be a success if people use it and think 'you know, i actually quite like this'

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Everyone I've encountered doesn't care for Windows Vista/7 but they tolerate it because it still better than the alternatives (Mac OS X and *nix) and they must (XP support is wanning).

Same here ... up until they actually used it instead of whining. What is so bad about it exactly?

And Vista was despised yes, but often unfairly so, and often by people who did not know what to do when their icons didn't look the same and by people who had never actually used it.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
Same here ... up until they actually used it instead of whining. What is so bad about it exactly?

+1. Mojave Experiment, anyone?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix

huh? you need to explain your thoughts, not throw around random words and expect other people to do the research for you. explain to me what you mean by demand for operating systems. also, this is the second time im asking you to use the multiquote button....

System Name HAL
Processor Core i9 13900k @5.8-6.1
Motherboard Z790 Arous master
Cooling EKWB Quantum Velocity V2 & (2) 360 Corsair XR7 Rads push/pull
Memory 2x 32GB (64GB) Gskill trident 6000 CL30 @28 1T
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 Gigagbyte gaming OC @ +200/1300
Storage (M2's) 2x Samsung 980 pro 2TB, 1xWD Black 2TB, 1x SK Hynix Platinum P41 2TB
Display(s) 65" LG OLED 120HZ
Case Lian Li dyanmic Evo11 with distro plate
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350
Software Microsoft Windows 11 x64
If there's no new Directx, then idc...lol

Thatguy

huh? you need to explain your thoughts, not throw around random words and expect other people to do the research for you. explain to me what you mean by demand for operating systems. also, this is the second time im asking you to use the multiquote button....

Why should I waste my time explaining the problems with large homogonous populations ? The answer is self evident. Its a single point of fialure. I'd take a good bet a very cleverly written worm,virus,trojan if let propogate with a long enough time frame before it became active could eat the whole windows universe of operating system in one fell swoop.

That is to say the patato blight of ireland is a great example of why overdepndance on one resource is bad.

the microsoft monopoly on operating systems is just that, is a single resource failure point.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
by your definitions of idiocy wouldnt the x86 archetectural dependency of the world also be something awaiting a viralising as a single resource failure point as might be humans over dependancy on walking and generally using our legs, some things you just gota do

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
I agree with a lot of what has been said here, and I'm a little reserved about the GUI as well (at least if it goes to PC) . . .

. . . but, I see a potential marketing maneuver on MS' part, here. Considering they've been fighting a steadily growing competitor (Mac), and a 3rd party market that's continuing to grow (linux), going with a mobile-style GUI would make WIN's new OS more "accessible" to the common user . . .

. . . considering the common user has become more familiar with their phone and/or tablet now, and has become an "expert" at using mobile devices (although they still can't figure out how to keep their PC's software and OS updated properly) - presenting an OS with a "familiar" GUI will be targeting users who are heavily dependant on their mobile devices by saying "hey! Our new OS is as easy to use as your phone!! It's as stable as your mobile device, too!!" It'd be easier to sway customers to your product if they're approaching it brand new as being easy to learn, use and navigate.

Sadly, that's one of the issue we currently see in the OS market - WIN has had a stigma attached to it that it's antique, archaic, difficult to use and navigate, prone to bugs and crashes, and vulnerable to security intrusions - this stigma wasn't helped at all by Mac's marketing campaigns the last few years, either, which used these stigmas to claim Macs were better than "PCs" (completely forgetting to mention that Macs are PCs by definition as well).

Thatguy

by your definitions of idiocy wouldnt the x86 archetectural dependency of the world also be something awaiting a viralising as a single resource failure point as might be humans over dependancy on walking and generally using our legs, some things you just gota do

in fact it is in regards to x86..however if your leg fails there are other methods by which to move around, crawling for instance.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Why should I waste my time explaining the problems with large homogonous populations ? The answer is self evident. Its a single point of fialure. I'd take a good bet a very cleverly written worm,virus,trojan if let propogate with a long enough time frame before it became active could eat the whole windows universe of operating system in one fell swoop.

That is to say the patato blight of ireland is a great example of why overdepndance on one resource is bad.

the microsoft monopoly on operating systems is just that, is a single resource failure point.

right, but how does one "demand" choice in this regards? you going to force developers to create a bunch of different operating systems or are you going to allow operating system to grow organically in the market. you are creating a doomsday scenario that has never happened in the tech world. company resources would be better allocated to improving on their code and interfaces.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
If there's no new Directx, then idc...lol

fuck a new Directx. I think its fucking ridiculous how quick dx11 got here. It's even more pathetic that there's barely any games coded in dx11 native, when its fucking backwards compatible to dx9:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:.

Personally, i consider M$ a company that is incredibly intelligent yet amazingly stupid at the same time. I sometimes think the people leading M$'s "forward progression" live in the corporate building they work in, otherwise they'd realize that anymore dx's is a waste of time.

It's pretty sad, but i really do believe that not a single video game company cares what M$ releases. It's been since Dx9 that a Dx was actually used and exploited decently. Now every dam game is so compatible across the market, it actually sucks bc it doesn't take advantage of various specific platforms' potential. Crysis 2 being the prime example recently...it was expected to kickass, instead it sucks ass as its worse than the first.

More OT: Another OS release in the near future would be almost as stupid as another dx version. They may add some great features, but who's going to use them within the first year? less than 10% of their current market more than likely. I personally would want my consumer base to be spread across 4 diff OS's if i owned M$. It almost seems like M$ just want to say "Look what we made/can do!" but don't care that they're losing touch with their consumer base.

Last edited:
System Name RemixedBeast-NX
Processor Intel Xeon E5-2690 @ 2.9Ghz (8C/16T)
Motherboard Dell Inc. 08HPGT (CPU 1)
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Nvidia RTX2060 6GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD//2TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Case Dell Precision T3600 Chassis
Audio Device(s) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 // Fiio E7 Amp/DAC
Power Supply 630w Dell T3600 PSU
Mouse Logitech G700s/G502
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
what does taters have to do with an operating system?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.

Try to get drivers and software for anything but linux,mac,windows. When I mean choice I mean at least 10 or more solid Operating systems with a diverse population of applications, kind of how phones are now. The carriers and manufacturers keep the ecosystem diverse, which is a very good thing to do.

android, iOS, Symbian? even less choices there.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
The start menu is huge, images instead of text when applications are stacked is inefficient productivity wise, sorting alphabetically and horizontally with no option to change it in the control panel, no way to customize searches (limit search location, hidden/unhidden files, search system files, etc.), forcing developers to adopt the Game Explorer which is implemented in a way that no one wants to use it (errors easily and overcomplicates adding games--sometimes impossible to remove without 3rd party software/registry hacks), the inability to see all options under the start programs menu at once--it packs it all into a tiny window, and have you ever tried to find a specific setting in Windows 7/Vista? Even when XP came out, I never found myself searching for a setting for 15 minutes because it is where you expect it to be. Not under a tiny link, under a tiny, link, under an inobvious link, under a tiny link, etc. It seems they heavily nested all the major settings so people would give up looking for them before they are found.

That's only the tip of the iceberg of UI issues that are a permanent staple of Windows 7 (no option to go back).

I've been using Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my main system for at least a year now. I still prefer the interface of Server 2003 R2 x64 Edition on my server with classic start menu enabled.

+1. Mojave Experiment, anyone?
That was an advertising campaign. It was unscientific (only compared people's opinion of the OS before and after viewing a video) and no one "reviewed" actually used the OS. Not to mention, they "cherry-picked" the positive reviews (namely, people that are easily impressed). As they say, "never judge a book by its cover."

Last edited:
Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster P2350 23in @ 1920x1080 + Dell E2013H 20 in @1600x900
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
Benchmark Scores Network: APs: Cisco Meraki MR32, Ubiquiti Unifi AP-AC-LR and Lite Router/Sw:Meraki MX64 MS220-8P
I love my server 2008 R1 UI. it's perfect for me. Even rockin the steelflash 100K final theme....

metro is the new xp luna UI.

I love my server 2008 R1 UI. it's perfect for me. Even rockin the steelflash 100K final theme....

metro is the new xp luna UI.

No. It's separate shell. It's not a theme. This is like Litestep and it will run along side explorer.exe.

Cooling Dell Standard
Memory 24GB ECC
Keyboard Logitech K740
Software Linux Mint 20
yeah I knew that. I just was saying how I love my interface the way it is LOL.