• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Duke Nukem Forever

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Just read Joystiqs Duke Nukem Forever review, they gave it a 2/5. The entire review was complaining that the game felt stuck in the 90's and that ''his quips lifted from countless '80s and '90s era action films and his objectification of women equaled only by older Arnold Schwarzenegger roles -- is stuck in a bygone era.''

But i have to say as MailMan said, that's the point. He's supposed to be an over the top action loving, silly, swearing, egotistical badass type of guy. What exactly are people trying to look for from a Duke Nukem game?,

Last edited:
System Name Eldritch
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF X570 Pro Wifi
Cooling Satan's butthole after going to Taco Bell
Memory 64 GB G.Skill TridentZ
Video Card(s) Vega 56
Storage 6*8TB Western Digital Blues in RAID 6, 2*512 GB Samsung 960 Pros
Display(s) Acer CB281HK
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro PH-ES614P_BK
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2
Mouse Razer Viper 8K
Software Debian Bullseye
System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Just read Joystiqs Duke Nukem Forever review, they gave it a 2/5. The entire review was complaining that the game felt stuck in the 90's and that ''his quips lifted from countless '80s and '90s era action films and his objectification of women equaled only by older Arnold Schwarzenegger roles -- is stuck in a bygone era.''

But i have to say as MailMan said, that's the point. He's supposed to be an over the top action loving, silly, swearing, egotistical badass type of guy. What exactly are people trying to look for from a Duke Nukem game?,

My thoughts exactly.

In other news, goddamn computer store in the neighborhood sneakily moved to a different city, so I had to order a new SSD. Meh, its gonna be like Tuesday or Wednesday when I finally can play it. Funny, I own it and can't play, and USA doesn't own it and want to play.

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
key point oh look its console lol seems every console reviewer has bashed on Duke Nukem then again most of these ass hats didnt start gaming till the PS2 / Xbox / Gamecube came out, there use to super easy Call Of Duty shooters. which Duke obviously is not lolz. I fail to understand reviewers that pick apart a game and all the aspects the game is SUPPOSE TO BE ABOUT, its like buying nothing buy FPS games even tho you Hate the Genre, god reviewers never cease to amaze me on how stupid they tend to be these days.

Platibus

Processor Intel Core i3 2100
Motherboard H67MA-E35
Cooling Hyper 212+
Memory XSM3 dual channel 4GB
Storage Barracuda 500GB SATA 6Gb/s
Display(s) Dell 17"
Case Brooks True Basic
Power Supply CX430
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
I find it irritating that these game reviewers (an absurd way to make a living, by the way) criticize in a negative manner a game that "feels old". There's nothing wrong with it; I think it's worse to blindly follow the trends to please the new generations, that's plain disgusting to me.

System Name White Theme
Processor Intel 12700K CPU
Motherboard ASUS STRIX Z690-A D4
Cooling Lian Li Galahad Uni w/ AL120 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aero 4080 Super 16GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 980 Pro PCIE 4.0
Display(s) Alienware 38" 3840x1600 (165Hz)
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO White
Audio Device(s) 2i2 Scarlett Solo + Schiit Magni 3 AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX 1000 Platinum
I am experiencing the same motion sickness I got when I played Duke Nukem 3D back in the day, anyway to fix this? FOV setting perhaps? I can barely play the game without feeling the need to throw up >.< ...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I am experiencing the same motion sickness I got when I played Duke Nukem 3D back in the day, anyway to fix this? FOV setting perhaps? I can barely play the game without feeling the need to throw up >.< ...

Sorry to hear about that. See if there's an .ini file in there somewhere that can be tweaked perhaps, or try googling for it.

System Name White Theme
Sorry to hear about that. See if there's an .ini file in there somewhere that can be tweaked perhaps, or try googling for it.

Yeah found it, but man I thought I was over this problem, this game brought so many memories back and all but I didn't expect the motion sickness to return and haunt me lol.

FOV Fix here by widescreen gaming forums:
If anybody wants a FOV fix without downloading a program, it's easy to do it from the game's console (although the change isn't permanent which is a little annoying). To do it:

Start the game with the console option '-log'. The game starts with a separate desktop window which is the console. Once the game is started, ALT+TAB out of the game to get to the console. In the console, type:

Code:
set Engine.PlayerPawn DefaultFOV 90

90 looks pretty good to me, but I'm a bit new at this. You can change 90 to whatever you want, of course.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
I've just played this some more and you know what? It really does remind me of Half-Life 2. Not sure quite what it is about it though. It obviously looks and sounds very different, but I think the gameplay mechanics must be similar. Certainly the alien invasion theme is common to many games like this.

I'm still enjoying this game and I find the constant stream of negative reviews from "professional" reviewers irritatiing. :slap: If it has one flaw it's intermittent framerate issues, but they are not all that serious and I hope they'll be fixed with a patch - it needed the latest nvidia driver just to work at all in full screen mode. Perhaps the next driver version will sort it out?

How does this play on AMD graphics cards, people?

System Name White Theme
If it has one flaw it's intermittent framerate issues, but they are not all that serious and I hope they'll be fixed with a patch - it needed the latest nvidia driver just to work at all in full screen mode. Perhaps the next driver version will sort it out?

How does this play on AMD graphics cards, people?

Same experience here might be the game itself.

I dont mind Duke himself but the other NPCs are cringe worthy with their jokes.

The level design is still sucky so from what ive played up to. The crane section was clearly just there to add length to the game. Its far too linear and even then ive had a few parts where for a minute i had no idea wtf i was doing. Another thing i hate is the shooting mechanics are like an early PS2 game it doesn't feel fluid and the hit detection is just meh. The statue section and the RC car at the start of the game are fun but the game makes you go back all the way you came on the RC car when you become big again and they just do this to add length to the game, it doesn't enhance the game or anything it feels repetitive. I already mentioned the dodgy AI and scripted events in another post.

The game is nothing like Half Life 2, the level design in that game was infinitely better even though they are both very linear games and even though that was a 2004 game its puzzles are much better. Just coming of the back of completing BC2 and Duke looks very shitty in comparison. Ima try finish this game but it feel like a chore.

You can troll or hate on me but i dont care, i dont think its that good a game and im saying that from an experience of having played it. If you can debunk any of the reasons i gave fair play but i bet most people just moan a bit.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Kind of a disappointment for a game 12 years in the making.

Either they made this in the past 2 years or they spent 2 months each year for the past 12 years actually developing the game.

It just doesn't seem like they put to much effort into.

A few parts thus far have made me laugh pretty hard but most other parts in the game seem to take that back. A few creative gameplay mechanics but for the most part meh. And the FPS aspect of this FPS game is somewhat disappointing.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I dont mind Duke himself but the other NPCs are cringe worthy with their jokes.

The level design is still sucky so from what ive played up to. The crane section was clearly just there to add length to the game. Its far too linear and even then ive had a few parts where for a minute i had no idea wtf i was doing. Another thing i hate is the shooting mechanics are like an early PS2 game it doesn't feel fluid and the hit detection is just meh. The statue section and the RC car at the start of the game are fun but the game makes you go back all the way you came on the RC car when you become big again and they just do this to add length to the game, it doesn't enhance the game or anything it feels repetitive. I already mentioned the dodgy AI and scripted events in another post.

The game is nothing like Half Life 2, the level design in that game was infinitely better even though they are both very linear games and even though that was a 2004 game its puzzles are much better. Just coming of the back of completing BC2 and Duke looks very shitty in comparison. Ima try finish this game but it feel like a chore.

You can troll or hate on me but i dont care, i dont think its that good a game and im saying that from an experience of having played it. If you can debunk any of the reasons i gave fair play but i bet most people just moan a bit.

It looks like you've played a bit further than I have.

I thought I had to repeat the same section after the RC car, now you said it, that's confirmed it. I can't see any point to it either, so yes, it does feel like they've cheated there. :shadedshu

HL2 similarity: it's funny how people's perception is different. I can only say again that it feels a bit similar, but can't quite put my finger on why. And oh yeah, HL2 is most certainly better - I actually played it all the way through three times! :rockout: That won't be happening here.

I can hate and troll you? Oh goodie! :toast: j/k I can't see anything wrong in posting that you don't like the game very much. Heck, everyone's different.

Why the game isn't more after 12 years of development? Well, it's not that surprising really. Beyond a certain point, having more development time doesn't bring any improvements and can actually retard the game.

The technology has improved enormously and continuously in that 12 years, which means that the developers have to keep going back to the drawing board to redesign the graphics and such to keep it current - and that's a real drag. The story won't really change all that much in that time though, hence all those negative comments from reviewers about it being stuck in the 90s. Yes, it is a 90s product rendered with modern technology. And no, I don't see that as a "major failing". Think how many classic games people like playing today? Think about www.gog.com who specialize in these old games and sell them cheaply DRM-free. The original Unreal Tournament from 1999 still kicks ass with it's gameplay, cool (DX7!) graphics and excellent electronica/trance soundtracks. And of course it runs smooth as silk on today's hardware. Heck, it still has a significant online multiplayer presence! :rockout: Buy it there for a tiny amount of money: www.gog.com/en/gamecard/unreal_tournament_goty

A while back, I read the full history of DNF and I can see why 2k just wanted to get it out the door. The previous developers wanted to make a totally kickass game, perfect in every possible way and way better than the competition. Trouble was they were too perfectionist and so their efforts were never enough to ever call it "done", therefore it wasn't. The story is obviously more complicated than that, but that's the essence of it.

Now, 2k Games got the rights a year or two ago and I bet they told their developers "Just get the damned thing done!" So you can see how they just grabbed a standard engine (UE3) designed some (reasonably) modern graphics and just chucked it out the door. I think they were right not to "update" the story to modern values. That would have sucked the life out Duke Nukem, as un-PC is what he's all about - making it politically correct would have been like making dehydrated water...

Finally, I hope that sales don't tank, despite the negative reviews as I would like to see a sequel to this. Perhaps, like Vista and Windows 7, that will be the game that "this should have been?"

Last edited by a moderator:

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.

Either they made this in the past 2 years or they spent 2 months each year for the past 12 years actually developing the game.

A few parts thus far have made me laugh pretty hard but most other parts in the game seem to take that back. A few creative gameplay mechanics but for the most part meh. And the FPS aspect of this FPS game is somewhat disappointing.
Over those 12 years, it probably never got more than 10% done (get some where with it, then change engine or something else so they started over and over and over). Gearbox bought the property because it is valuable (virtually all early 90's gamers know of it) but they weren't going to pour a ton of resources into it because they don't know how much the "Did Not Finish" mentality of it will effect sales. If it sales well, it is likely to get another Gearbox developed sequel that is substantially more polished. If it does not, they took a risk and we, as gamers, at least owe them gratitude for finishing something that was started over a decade ago.

As MM said, Duke Nukem is all about guns, monsters, and attitude. The original games mostly stood out because of the attitude. The games were practically gushing with excellent 1-liners that have been recycled often.

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold

You're playing it on a console aren't you........AREN'T YOU!

Spectrum

personally i think the game is brilliant.
nobody makes old style linear games where you go round blowing up aliens anymore
nothing more satisfying than running through a game blowing aliens up with shotguns and rpgs

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
nobody makes old style linear games where you go round blowing up aliens anymore
nothing more satisfying than running through a game blowing aliens up with shotguns and rpgs

I agree!! I am more into the game play than the eye candy:rockout:

TheMailMan78

Big Member

I agree!! I am more into the game play than the eye candy:rockout:

These guys "get it".

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
I bought it yesterday and pre loaded it. I can't wait for some crazy good fun. I don't know what everybody is say the graphics look bad or dated.. I walked around in the locker room for 20mins before i even start to actually play the demo.. hehehe

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
From the trailer, the titty physics look impressive.

3D Realms probably went bust working on those :laugh:

Well then, that just says to me, the game set out to achieve a goal, and it did it, can't wait till Tuesday!