• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EKWB Halts Nickel-Plated Water Block Production

System Name Ivy Biatch
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard ASSRockzz z77TOTHEEXTREME!!!!
Cooling bleh
Memory 2x4gb crucial 1866
Video Card(s) HD7770, yes it does BF3
Storage 120gb Vertex
Display(s) 226BW
Case whats that, oh my table
Audio Device(s) stock onboard thing
Power Supply HX850W
Software 7
In EK's defence, the "massive damage" that most of use are reacting to was caused by soaking the block in a Sodium Cloride solution, not from real world use. The amount of corrosion that amounts to "massive" was artificially caused in 8 hours, but in reality isn't even close to what you would see after a year+ of real use.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem, because there is, I'm just saying that the "massive damage" isn't really that massive and the images that most people are freaking out about aren't anything that really happened to someone that was using the product normally.

read what i wrote ;)

it was to EK's reputation, not the blocks i was talking about :)

Thatguy

ground the waterblocks. we deal with this problem in the automotive world all the time with coatings and corrosion. It is almost exsclusively cuased by faulty grounds and excess current (static or others types)being carried around by water and conductive coolants.

System Name TheReactor / HTPC
Processor AMD 7800x3d 5050Mhz / Intel 10700kf (5.1ghz All Core)
Motherboard ASrock x670e Taichi / ROG Strix z490-e gaming
Cooling HeatKiller VI CPU/GPU Block -2xBlackIce GTX 360 Radiators - Swiftech MCP655 Pump
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz DDR5 / 32GB G.Skill 3400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) Nvidia 3090ti / Nvidia 2080ti
Storage Crucial T700 2TB Gen 5 / Samsung Evo 2Tb
Display(s) Acer Predator xb271hu - 2560x1440 @144hz
Case Corsiar 550
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Antec Quattro 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair Gaming k70
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
ground the waterblocks. we deal with this problem in the automotive world all the time with coatings and corrosion. It is almost exsclusively cuased by faulty grounds and excess current (static or others types)being carried around by water and conductive coolants.

Aren't they grounded as soon as you hook them to the motherboard? I do not think it would be ok to place a static charged chunk of copper on top of a CPU/GPU. I'm pretty sure the power -supply is responsible for grounding...

Update: My blocks looked great. Nice and Bright, nothing wrong with them. I did find a couple several nozzles that looked pretty rusted out and that must have been the cause. I replaced them with better quality ones and hope that is all that was wrong. Man, this thread had me worried. LOL.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
read what i wrote ;)

it was to EK's reputation, not the blocks i was talking about :)

Ah, yeah, I read it differently, but yeah I get what you meant.

Either way, the people are freaking out about what seems like really bad corrosion to the blocks that never happen under normal usage.

this is fairly old news.
and its not several complaints, it's more like hundreds.

theres a lot more information about this on ocau and xs forum.

to sum it up: it's a problem thats been known about for months, they say user error, users are saying its poor machining and impurities in the nickel.

also theres a lot of uproar about the duration they claim they'll honor RA because of this.. basically stipulating a date which is a breach of the trade practices act in a few countries.

information on ocau and xs-if you like it neutered and deleted:slap:
specific thread on trade practices right here
http://www.realredraider.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=48071
posted on june 7th and i personally have not seen that info posted anywhere else,
oddly enough rrtech has been getting a lot of traffic from slovenia:)

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Ah, yeah, I read it differently, but yeah I get what you meant.

Either way, the people are freaking out about what seems like really bad corrosion to the blocks that never happen under normal usage.

People wouldn't act that way if EK, Eddy, didn't go the route he went.. Yeah, that one thing can mess up a system... But, if Eddy lived up to it being a fault.. it would have went a totally different way.. No.. he says F.U to people and Sidewinders.. saying liars to everyone, then after weeks of "covering it up" he comes and changes the things that should of been done in the first place.. I guess if you get forums, sites and other companies to say there is something wrong, you listen.. But, after saying people are liars, and how he's went threw it.. My money will never go towards his greed.

Lol.. Ek is in constant look at RRtech.. Nice.. Oh, well.. RRtech showed where it's really at..

this is too funny.
joined this forum in 2004 and that post above was my 1st:laugh:
cya again in 7 years or so.

Thatguy

Aren't they grounded as soon as you hook them to the motherboard? I do not think it would be ok to place a static charged chunk of copper on top of a CPU/GPU. I'm pretty sure the power -supply is responsible for grounding...

Update: My blocks looked great. Nice and Bright, nothing wrong with them. I did find a couple several nozzles that looked pretty rusted out and that must have been the cause. I replaced them with better quality ones and hope that is all that was wrong. Man, this thread had me worried. LOL.

Um, no. Also the coolant is whats carrying the electricity, if it is truely the problematic a sacrificial zinc anode in the tank with a earth ground will take the corrosive abuse off of the waterblocks. Nickel coating is a pretty good choice in reality BTW.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Well I will be checking my EK Supreme HF Nickel when I get home. It has been running for about 7 months w/ distilled water and silver coil. Thank goodness it is in a separate loop from my motherboard water block and gpu blocks (which are all Koolance water blocks:))!

Anyways, reading through a couple threads over at XS I found this post to be very interesting:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...ating-Issues&p=4873956&viewfull=1#post4873956

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Elite RTX3060 12GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520 and some spinny bois
Display(s) 3x DELL S2721DGF
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Corsair 750w
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
posted on june 7th and i personally have not seen that info posted anywhere else,

ah well, I was following the threads as they were developing.

also, my comment about warranty was how it has been for weeks, I only read here and on ocau today that they're extending the RMA period. It's no suprise though, since if they didn't, they'd be looking at a law suit.

the rest of what i said stands. :shadedshu

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

People that throw bolt-ons on their cars should also know the Magnuson-Moss Act. I've had a couple dealers try to void a warranty because of a cat-back.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
Dissimilar metal based corrosion is a serious threat. Its not like we can remove the electrolyte path either. Solid news btarunr. Thanks again.

And thank you Cold storm for spreading the news.

If we ran mineral based hydraulic fluids like 5606 we might be able to solve that corrosion issue. It's also good to run in high pressure systems. I wonder if it could be run in current loops and if it transfers heat like the automotive coolant we are using in many loops today. Of course it couldn't work as well as the distilled water method but its anti corrosion properties would help if corrosion starts becoming a bigger issue.

You would think EK would have tested these nickel coatings(or plating) before selling them out on the market and having them corrode.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
People wouldn't act that way if EK, Eddy, didn't go the route he went.. Yeah, that one thing can mess up a system... But, if Eddy lived up to it being a fault.. it would have went a totally different way.. No.. he says F.U to people and Sidewinders.. saying liars to everyone, then after weeks of "covering it up" he comes and changes the things that should of been done in the first place.. I guess if you get forums, sites and other companies to say there is something wrong, you listen.. But, after saying people are liars, and how he's went threw it.. My money will never go towards his greed.

Lol.. Ek is in constant look at RRtech.. Nice.. Oh, well.. RRtech showed where it's really at..

I agree, I don't think it was handled properly, the moment a problem came up he should have looked into it.