• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

From PCWorld: Is Open Source Up to Par? Just Ask the DoD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thatguy

Some would care. For example because everyone can read PDF files on his or her pc, without the need for an office suite (MS Office viewer is not available for every platform).

blah blah blah

For companies it can be a cost saver, and I have heard once from someone doing PDF exports at his job, that exporting multi-tab spreadsheets into PDF still goes the most flawlessly with OpenOffice, not with the Adobe software. Guess what the company he works for did? Exactly, ditch the Adobe license for most people, except the very few employees that might still need it.

So people should work for free as in beer ? I don't care if software is free. I don't care if its open source. I just want it to work. As for cost, well beer isn;t free either. I do like having the document formats being open source however. Thats one thing that should be mandatory. Its my data.
Actually a lot of major Linux distros ditched OpenOffice and install LibreOffice by default:

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/mandriva-2011-beta-libreoffice.html
http://lawyerist.com/openoffice-org-libreoffice/

OpenOffice Libreoffice, same god damned thing isn't it ? except libreoffice is a fork of openoffice, though I forget when specifically this occured. You can't give me a copy of openoffice and libre office won't do my books.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
I am ashamed to admit that after getting an Office students pack I have been almost exclusively using Microsoft Windows rather than LibreOffice. That said though, I think its a personal preference thing, and I would be just as comfortable using LibreOffice if I didn't buy the Office.

I understand both sides of the argument, because I am actually using Gimp over Adobe Photoshop (mainly because I can't afford the £150+ license fee, and the 7/14/whatever day trial was not long enough for me to acclimatise). That and Chrome over IE9, and trying to use Mozilla Thunderbird to play nice (it doesn't, I probably need to spend more time to actually attempt it properly).

I like PDF, I use LaTeX for it.

Thatguy

I am ashamed to admit that after getting an Office students pack I have been almost exclusively using Microsoft Windows rather than LibreOffice. That said though, I think its a personal preference thing, and I would be just as comfortable using LibreOffice if I didn't buy the Office.

I understand both sides of the argument, because I am actually using Gimp over Adobe Photoshop (mainly because I can't afford the £150+ license fee, and the 7/14/whatever day trial was not long enough for me to acclimatise). That and Chrome over IE9, and trying to use Mozilla Thunderbird to play nice (it doesn't, I probably need to spend more time to actually attempt it properly).

I like PDF, I use LaTeX for it.

Actually pegasus mails works nice and is free. One of the better pieces of freeware out there.Gimp has to many problems and to difficult a workflow for most professionals and they are acting like fixing the multwindow view is some sort of monumental task, that tells me the application is full of spaghetti code workarounds. Rediculous.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Actually pegasus mails works nice and is free. One of the better pieces of freeware out there.Gimp has to many problems and to difficult a workflow for most professionals and they are acting like fixing the multwindow view is some sort of monumental task, that tells me the application is full of spaghetti code workarounds. Rediculous.

Gimp might have its problems, but its obviously not enough for me to consider getting a Photoshop for my occasional image manipulation.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Gimp might have its problems, but its obviously not enough for me to consider getting a Photoshop for my occasional image manipulation.

Which is the core of the entire discussion imo, at least at a consumer level.

Thatguy

would be nice if you could get wonderbrush from the beos/zeta for windows and linux. But sadly the author is not porting that program to anything but the haiku os which is a beos clone. I find it VERY easy to use, it has real 32b color depth etc. Not as many features as gimp but for the bulk of folks just retouching a photo etc or doing some art work, its very very good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUqPyGvrLwY

System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
blah blah blah

If you can't give mature comments to something, than better don't comment it.

So people should work for free as in beer ? I don't care if software is free. I don't care if its open source. I just want it to work. As for cost, well beer isn;t free either.

I never said that someone must work unpaid. You're bending my words dude. I was mentioning cost savings on software, not on people.
And in fact companies often pay for open source software, only less because they pay a certain amount ("flat rate") instead of paying per install.

OpenOffice Libreoffice, same god damned thing isn't it ? except libreoffice is a fork of openoffice, though I forget when specifically this occured.

The fork occured soon after Oracle purchased Sun. Oracle was rumoured to be planning to quit the OpenOffice project (or whatever), hence the fork. And if you had read what I've linked to, you would have known how things have ended up to.

You can't give me a copy of openoffice and libre office won't do my books.

If it doesn't meet your requirements, this doesn't mean it sucks generally. It only implies it's not suitable for your specific use.

In my case it depends, which of the two I use. If I need to exchange documents with Office 2007 users, while those docs still need to be edited then I choose Office 2010, or if read-only files are fine I make the docs in LibreOffice and export them to PDF. Except when needing to use pictures (which is seldomly the case), in that case I use MS Office 2010 too, no matter with who I need to exchange.
If I will exchange with fellow LibreOffice users or if it is for private use, I prefer to use LibreOffice.

Let's not forget that Portage/APT make it quite easy on Linux installs to add plugins to GIMP; so I guess that even if it is not "the same" as PS it comes very close. Those plugins should be available for the Windows/Mac versions of GIMP, but I guess you need to DL them separately from the www.
In case of Mozilla TB, let me know what you are struggling with, and I may be able to help you out. It's in minor things, often. E.g. when the sending/receiving e-mails has its flaws, a manual set-up me solve the problem (the automagic stuff seems to select wrong ports and such, in certain cases).

Gimp has to many problems and to difficult a workflow for most professionals and they are acting like fixing the multwindow view is some sort of monumental task, that tells me the application is full of spaghetti code workarounds.

"Fixing" is not the right word here, dude. The multiwindow thing has been there with a purpose. That GUI design allows the user to spread the program across several virtual desktops and/or monitors.
Because there are people who don't like it, the developers are adding a all-in-one interface to the program without ditching the other (because some would still prefer the old design).
The fact that they wish to offer 2 GUIs at once (offering choice), combined with all the tools etc. makes it hard for them. And possibly the GIMP core development team is rather small, increasing dev time even more.

Thatguy

If you can't give mature comments to something, than better don't comment it.

dude, you aren't owed a ounce a civility, and genrally given the attitude of linux evngalists, you've yet to earn coutersy from me on the subject manner.

I never said that someone must work unpaid. You're bending my words dude. I was mentioning cost savings on software, not on people.
And in fact companies often pay for open source software, only less because they pay a certain amount ("flat rate") instead of paying per install.

First off Free software can't ever pay a developer unless it finds a corporate sponsor or some form of ad revenue to fund itself, outside of donations. So yes the paid developer scenario is really problematic, I figured the basic tennant of the statement was fiarly self evident. Obviously not. ;)

The fork occured soon after Oracle purchased Sun. Oracle was rumoured to be planning to quit the OpenOffice project (or whatever), hence the fork. And if you had read what I've linked to, you would have known how things have ended up to.

I really don'tcare, at this point I will use a paid solution. My time is worth more then screwing around with a poorly written application.

If it doesn't meet your requirements, this doesn't mean it sucks generally. It only implies it's not suitable for your specific use.

considering I don't have much demanding use for a office suite, yeah it sucks. The amount of people using MSoffice vrs Libreoffice is pretty much a testament to this fact. You might not like facts, but they exist regardless of your attempt to spin the conversation.

In my case it depends, which of the two I use. If I need to exchange documents with Office 2007 users, while those docs still need to be edited then I choose Office 2010, or if read-only files are fine I make the docs in LibreOffice and export them to PDF. Except when needing to use pictures (which is seldomly the case), in that case I use MS Office 2010 too, no matter with who I need to exchange.
If I will exchange with fellow LibreOffice users or if it is for private use, I prefer to use LibreOffice.

Ever use Gobe 3.0???. Might wanna try it. Shame its dead though. Great application that made document editing a snap. Want a picture in between two paragraphs, its super easy. Wanna combine spreadsheets,text,pictures,art and do all of it in one program including drawing, yep no problem.

Let's not forget that Portage/APT make it quite easy on Linux installs to add plugins to GIMP; so I guess that even if it is not "the same" as PS it comes very close. Those plugins should be available for the Windows/Mac versions of GIMP, but I guess you need to DL them separately from the www.

I just can't stand the ui, its like having a labotomy and everything is so difficult to find. The workflow is horrific.

In case of Mozilla TB, let me know what you are struggling with, and I may be able to help you out. It's in minor things, often. E.g. when the sending/receiving e-mails has its flaws, a manual set-up me solve the problem (the automagic stuff seems to select wrong ports and such, in certain cases).

I am totally fine with pegasus mail, it works great for my needs.

"Fixing" is not the right word here, dude. The multiwindow thing has been there with a purpose. That GUI design allows the user to spread the program across several virtual desktops and/or monitors.
Because there are people who don't like it, the developers are adding a all-in-one interface to the program without ditching the other (because some would still prefer the old design).
The fact that they wish to offer 2 GUIs at once (offering choice), combined with all the tools etc. makes it hard for them. And possibly the GIMP core development team is rather small, increasing dev time even more.

the GUI decision was a bad thing and likely done to make the program more modular, Who the fuck uses x11 to work on a art project arcoss multiple computers ? What a stupid useage scenario. Its just poorly design, counter intuative, and clumsy. It works poorly on every type of OS I have tried it on. Its just a total Pain in the ass to use and its got color problems as well. After all this time the fact that GIMP is in the shape its in and 2 guys can write a program like wonderbrush in what appears to be the span of about 1 year and its easily more useably functional and has alot of capability, tells me the guys at gimp are just not capable of developing good software.

the best thing to do with gimp now, is just rewrite it completely and toss the old design in the can. Likely would be better as a QT app anyways. Far more portable.

streetfighter 2

The amount of people using MSoffice vrs Libreoffice is pretty much a testament to this fact. You might not like facts, but they exist regardless of your attempt to spin the conversation.
Argumentum ad populum
logical fallacies are a hell of a drug.
I'm fond of both Thatguy and Chevalr1c so I don't want them to think I'm being an arse. I may have overstepped my bounds a bit but I felt as if Thatguy's jab at Chevalr1c was unjustified. Furthermore being a person infatuated with "facts", it makes me sad whenever I see the word used to describe something that is clearly arbitrary.

Oh and for the record:
MS Office sucks.
LibreOffice sucks.
OpenOffice sucks.
Being in an actual office sucks.
Open source rules.

That is all. :D

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
System Name desktop | Odroid N2+ |
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Amlogic S922X |
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M DS3H |Odroid N2+ |
Cooling Inter-Tech Argus SU-200, 3x Arctic P12 case fans | stock heatsink + fan |
Memory Gskill Aegis DDR4 32GB | 4 GB DDR4 |
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 (8GB) | Arm Mali G52 |
Storage SK Hynix SSD 240GB, Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1T | Samsung 850 Evo 500GB |
Display(s) AOC G2260VWQ6 | LG 24MT57D |
Case Asus Prime 201 | Stock case (black version) |
Audio Device(s) integrated
Power Supply BeQuiet! Pure Power 11 400W | 12v barrel jack |
Mouse Logitech G500 |Steelseries Rival 300
Keyboard Qpad MK-50 (Cherry MX brown)| Blaze Keyboard
Software Windows 10, Various Linux distros | Gentoo Linux
dude, you aren't owed a ounce a civility, and genrally given the attitude of linux evngalists, you've yet to earn coutersy from me on the subject manner.

:confused:

First off Free software can't ever pay a developer unless it finds a corporate sponsor or some form of ad revenue to fund itself, outside of donations. So yes the paid developer scenario is really problematic, I figured the basic tennant of the statement was fiarly self evident. Obviously not. ;)

The term "Free software" does not refer to the price. So what you say about the financial stuff is not always the case.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gratis_versus_libre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hasty_generalization
Yes, some projects primarily live of things like sponsorship and this can be problematic but others are doing well, while getting paid by their clients (in form of yearly contracts for a wholesale solution of software and support, AFAIK). Think of the revenue Red Hat is making.... http://www.redhat.com/about/news/prarchive/2010/Q4FY10.html

Ever use Gobe 3.0???. Might wanna try it. Shame its dead though. Great application that made document editing a snap. Want a picture in between two paragraphs, its super easy. Wanna combine spreadsheets,text,pictures,art and do all of it in one program including drawing, yep no problem.

My only reason for not using LibreOffice for documents that need to contain images, is that LibreOffice screws the images quality wise. There are no further problems with it for me, except the latter and the interoperability with e.g. MS Office.

I am totally fine with pegasus mail, it works great for my needs.

As you could have seen, I did reply to something Fourstaff said. It seemed he had some issues with TB he would like to overcome, so I offered my help to him. I was not talking to you at that moment.

the GUI decision was a bad thing and likely done to make the program more modular, Who the fuck uses x11 to work on a art project arcoss multiple computers ? What a stupid useage scenario. Its just poorly design, counter intuative, and clumsy. It works poorly on every type of OS I have tried it on. Its just a total Pain in the ass to use and its got color problems as well. After all this time the fact that GIMP is in the shape its in and 2 guys can write a program like wonderbrush in what appears to be the span of about 1 year and its easily more useably functional and has alot of capability, tells me the guys at gimp are just not capable of developing good software.
the best thing to do with gimp now, is just rewrite it completely and toss the old design in the can. Likely would be better as a QT app anyways. Far more portable.

Using QT would indeed be a good idea, instead of the GTK toolkit they use now. :)
But how come "across multiple computers"? As you probably know, both multimonitor and the multiple virtual desktop setups are usage scenarios with only one ("1") computer.
And in fact I like the way GIMP works, I am used to it now and would probably find PS a pain in the ass because it's design is different to what I am used to.

Man, this thread seems to go on and on forever, basically in the same silly way as the "Fahrenheit or Celsius" topic.
And we are of course far off topic now, because the OP discussed a decision of the US DoD, not the quality of applications.

Thatguy

:confused:

Man, this thread seems to go on and on forever, basically in the same silly way as the "Fahrenheit or Celsius" topic.
And we are of course far off topic now, because the OP discussed a decision of the US DoD, not the quality of applications.

I have almost ZERO intention of fixing bugs in software and so do most users, Freedom doesn't mean shit. I want FREEDOM and RESPECT of my data. It is afterall MY data.

I don't give a shit how you want to measure tempature, I can easily off the top of my head convert between F or C. you know what the differences is between 104.4c and 220F. Nothing. Its still fthe same tempature. Get it ?

Typically open source software is crap. some isn't it. I'd like to see a much more diverse less windows and linux specific OS market. Maybe 10-20 os's all have small fractional amounts of market share, it'd be good for everybody.

But to claim GIMP is a good program ? BTW I can multimonitor just fine in PS. But multimonitor photo editing is at best a edge useage case. the GUI is aweful.

YES gimp should become a QT program, it'll give it more portability.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
blah blah shit blah.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
he's just mad because nobody took him serious on the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.