• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What causes low level hum from audio chipset?

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
So you have two screens? Your 5850 should have 2 video outputs for that. I'm talking about using the onboard hdmi out and piping that to your receiver. Your onboard audio drivers might have provisioning to use that. You could also try using that onboard s/pdif header. The output on the expansion bracket would look like this (far left)

And this is the cable you would use to connect them: coaxial s/pdif cable (it does deceptively look like an analog RCA cable, but it isn't quite that)

T

twilyth

OK, I just had a flash of motivation and connected the stereo out from the tv to one of the AV inputs and there is now almost no hum.

I noticed that the tv also has optical audio out, so just for yuks, I might get a toslink cable and patch that to one of optical inputs.

However I am still intrigued by using the spdif header to an RCA jack and running a cable to one of the orange input jacks.

Thanks again to everyone for you help. I appreciate it. :toast: :toast:

hat

Enthusiast
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Benchmark Scores >9000
As long as you got it working how you want...

T

twilyth

So you have two screens? Your 5850 should have 2 video outputs for that. I'm talking about using the onboard hdmi out and piping that to your receiver. Your onboard audio drivers might have provisioning to use that. You could also try using that onboard s/pdif header. The output on the expansion bracket would look like this (far left)

http://www.techspot.com/reviews/hardware/revolution71/card.jpg

And this is the cable you would use to connect them: coaxial s/pdif cable (it does deceptively look like an analog RCA cable, but it isn't quite that)

http://209.236.66.94/shop/images/product/werr3.0-0125dff870a54e2b1c5727b3cf62b6d1.jpg

I was under the impression that you couldn't have 2 different video chipsets enabled at one time except for SLI/Crossfire.

Unless you're saying that I can somehow just enable the audio portion of the onboard chipset. IDK. I could be completely missing the point you're making. :toast:

streetfighter 2

However I am still intrigued by using the spdif header to an RCA jack and running a cable to one of the orange input jacks.
If you don't already have an RCA cable that would work lying around, then just buy a TOSLINK cable because it's optical and therefore not susceptible to interference like an electrical cable is.

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
I was under the impression that you couldn't have 2 different video chipsets enabled at one time except for SLI/Crossfire.

Unless you're saying that I can somehow just enable the audio portion of the onboard chipset. IDK. I could be completely missing the point you're making. :toast:

I really have no idea, it's just a long shot in the dark I'm playing with here. To use that onboard HDMI in the fashion I'm thinking of, you shouldn't need the onboard video enabled, just the audio. As long as the onboard audio has provisioning to use that (I'm not sure if it does), audio over that HDMI should work whether the onboard video is enabled or not.

T

twilyth

If you don't already have an RCA cable that would work lying around then just buy a TOSLINK cable because it's optical and therefore not susceptible to the kind of interference that any electrical cable is.

Yes. That makes more sense since the brackets seem to have both. It's just that I'll need a long cable - 4m about - due to the placement of the AV rack and the HTPC. :toast:

T

twilyth

I really have no idea, it's just a long shot in the dark I'm playing with here. To use that onboard HDMI in the fashion I'm thinking of, you shouldn't need the onboard video enabled, just the audio. As long as the onboard audio has provisioning to use that (I'm not sure if it does), audio over that HDMI should work whether the onboard video is enabled or not.

I think the audio and video on the HDMI output are a package. I think if you disable one part you disable everything. If you could still somehow access the audio even when disabled, then we might be on to something, but I'm pretty sure that's not an option.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
OK, I just had a flash of motivation and connected the stereo out from the tv to one of the AV inputs and there is now almost no hum.

I noticed that the tv also has optical audio out, so just for yuks, I might get a toslink cable and patch that to one of optical inputs.

Thanks again to everyone for you help. I appreciate it. :toast: :toast:

Thats how mine is toslink from tv to reciever. The only downside is its not True 5.1 as most TV wont passthru True 5.1. At least thats what the Audio Tech told me when I set mine up. So you end up with Dolby ProLogic 5.1

hat

Enthusiast
Benchmark Scores >9000
I think the audio and video on the HDMI output are a package. I think if you disable one part you disable everything. If you could still somehow access the audio even when disabled, then we might be on to something, but I'm pretty sure that's not an option.

Well, for this idea you'd have to try it yourself, or ask someone else at this point. I have no experience with this sort of thing, as I said it was a long shot in the dark idea.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
correct, HDMI can only transmit audio when video is also being transmitted.

if your TV doesn't like HDMI from your receiver then the solution is to split the HDMI.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110

• run HDMI cable from computer to splitter
  • run HDMI cable from splitter to receiver to decode audio
  • run HDMI cable from splitter to TV then disable TV internal speakers

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
correct, HDMI can only transmit audio when video is also being transmitted.

if your TV doesn't like HDMI from your receiver then the solution is to split the HDMI.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110

• run HDMI cable from computer to splitter
  • run HDMI cable from splitter to receiver to decode audio
  • run HDMI cable from splitter to TV then disable TV internal speakers

Most of those are one way splitters. Kind of a pricey way to do this.

Going to have to say, I would use optical out from the TV to the receiver at this point. Easiest and cheapest way to do it. Wide range of cheap Toslink cables here.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
what do you mean one way?

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
what do you mean one way?

One output, the cheaper dual output ones don't specify if they can do signals simultaneously. Also introducing a splitter can introduce increased latency.

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
the HDMI splitter needs to be active and HDCP compliant like this one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=5418&seq=1&format=2

these products are recommended all the time on Home Theater forums. read the customer reviews.

Toslink can only transmit DD 5.1, DTS and PCM. HDMI can transmit DD 5.1, DTS, LPCM, PCM, TrueHD and DTS-MA.

the option is there whether or not he wants to pay for it is up to him.

Thatguy

I have the HDMI out from my graphics card going to my HDTV. The other output goes to a monitor. The 2 are set up so the desktop spans the monitor and tv.

But that shouldn't really be important. For the audio, I have 1/8" extension cord with a 1/8" stereo to 2 RCA jack adapter. That goes to one of the receiver's audio inputs.

The PC is on a 3 prong outlet so as far as I can tell, everything should be grounded.

The chipset is by realtek (HD).

I tried a shorter cable and that seemed to be a little better so I'm thinking the cable might need to be shielded.

Any ideas? Thanks.

bad grounds

Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Case Corsair 550D
by the way Marantz, Panasonic, Oppo and Denon have Blu-ray players with Dual HDMI ports for the purpose of this topic.

this is what Oppo has to say about it.

Dual HDMI v1.4a Outputs - Two assignable HDMI v1.4a outputs are provided to capitalize on the optimum audio and video settings to all old, new, and future HDMI televisions and receivers. With the option of full audio and video output to 2 displays; or dedicate one HDMI for audio, the other for video, it promotes a high quality video and audio for both signal paths. The BDP-93 supports 3D and Deep Color modes on both HDMI output ports.

one of the customer reviews for the HDMI splitter I posted above mentioned he connected a 75 foot HDMI cable to the splitter then connected another splitter to that without problems.

T

twilyth

the HDMI splitter needs to be active and HDCP compliant like this one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011301&p_id=5418&seq=1&format=2

these products are recommended all the time on Home Theater forums. read the customer reviews.

Toslink can only transmit DD 5.1, DTS and PCM. HDMI can transmit DD 5.1, DTS, LPCM, PCM, TrueHD and DTS-MA.

the option is there whether or not he wants to pay for it is up to him.

by the way Marantz, Panasonic, Oppo and Denon have Blu-ray players with Dual HDMI ports for the purpose of this topic.

this is what Oppo has to say about it.

one of the customer reviews for the HDMI splitter I posted above mentioned he connected a 75 foot HDMI cable to the splitter then connected another splitter to that without problems.

Yeah, I like the idea of using HDMI. I was aware of the limitations of optical and that's why when I got a decent audio system, I went with HDMI rather than optical. But this is for a tv basically. I don't really listen to music in that room. That's why I've been open to pretty much any alternative that would work at eliminating the hum.

A splitter would actually be perfect as long as it doesn't interfer with using the HDTV as the second monitor. As I mentioned upstream, going from PC -> receiver -> tv would have been perfect except for the fact that the video card no longer recognized the tv when I did it this way.

I have my other system set up like this with 2 samsung monitors. The monitor that is connected to the receiver works fine (a few glitches). So I think I must have a very old HDMI standard on the tv - it's about 6 years old.

I'll try it again today to double check in case I only tried it with the original H67 graphics and not the new 5850.

If that doesn't work, then I'll try a splitter and see if that causes the same problems.

If it does, then I'll go with either the toslink cable from the tv to the receiver or i'll get the spdif bracket and go toslink to toslink.

T

twilyth

I feel really stupid. It turns out that I never tried to connect via HDMI using the 5850 video card. I did that today and it works perfectly. I had tried using the H67 video on my motherboard and that definitely didn't work. But when I installed the new card, it didn't occur to me to try that out as well.

I really appreciate the help everyone gave me in this thread and so that it doesn't go to waste, I'm going to try to consolidate everything I've learned, plus whatever else people thinks deserves mentioning, in a new thread dealing with digital audio generally - http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2318021

I don't really know shit from shinola, so if the new thread is going to be a resource for other members, I will need your contributions. :toast: :toast: :toast: :respect: :respect: