• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam is total crap

Are you satisfied with steam?

• Hell no!

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Its tolerable

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Steam is at least okay

Votes: 10 20.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 27 56.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Processor R9 5950x
Motherboard Asus x570 Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling EK 360mm AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16gb (CL16@3800MHz)
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce RTX 3090 24GB
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVMe | Intel 660p 2TB NVMe
Display(s) Acer Predator XB323QK 4K 144Hz
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Objective2 Amp/DAC | GoXLR | AKG K612PRO | Beyerdynamic DT880| Rode Pod Mic
Power Supply Corsair AX 850w
Mouse Razer DeathAdder Elite V2
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum RGB "Cherry MX Brown"
VR HMD Oculus Rift
Software Window 11 Pro
got 50+ games on steam no issues at all, sorry bout problems

and kurugan is right sup with 2008 article

Captain.Abrecan

System Name MHI 0000001
Processor Intel Pentium D 950 Presler
Motherboard Asus P5N-32 SLI
Cooling Stock Air
Memory 4x Corsair ValueRAM DDR2 667 1GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 9800 GTX
Storage 4x Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM
Display(s) HP 17" CRT 1600x1200
Case Thermaltake Armor Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 850
Software Microsoft Windows XP Professional

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Steam is what it is.
I have had few troubles, other than an occasional burp of acid reflux.(some software that did not co-exist well together).

You don't like it, use something else.

These rant threads are useless and do nothing; but, give a platform to trolls/post whores/flamers.:shadedshu

EDIT:

So which is it - Useless and do nothing? Or give us platform of hate and whoring?

Both...;)

Last edited:
Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
So which is it - Useless and do nothing? Or give us platform of hate and whoring? :)

jimmyme

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard ASUS Rampage II GENE
Cooling stock.air
Memory 6GB MUSHKIN HP3-12800
Video Card(s) 1xGAINWARD 4870 1Gb GS
Storage 1x WD Velociraptor 150Gb
Power Supply NEXUS Rx-8500
Software Vista64
I also dislike Steam very much.
Actually I only use it for 1 game.... damn Tripwire...

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
I actually like steam. It keeps my games updated and I can see who is online with my other friends. It's got cloud game saves for most of the games which is even better.
Now windows live, that is different. I hate windows live.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
The first two ("Breaks all UI conventions" and "Forced updates") I agree with. The UI is stupid and there's absolutely no reason to force updates on gaming software unless you are attempting to play online. It is definitely guilty of those things.

The second two ("The most error prone application" and "Valve U.S.A. developers are full of themselves"), I don't agree with. I can't recall ever seeing an error and about the US flag, that's nitpicking. Usually you use a USA flag when it is en-US, British flag when en-GB, and Australia flag when en-AU. Because most developers don't bother to localize English further than having English, you only see the one that used (e.g. color = en-US and colour = en-GB). Why would they call it en-GB when they use US grammar, spelling? Makes no sense. Valve is a US corp so it only makes sense that they would use en-US just as most European developers use en-GB.

March 2008, a good way to review software is to judge it by a 3 year old article.

Personally any issue I have had with Steam has been resolved very fast. And it has saved me a ton of money, so I am extremely happy with it.

If you don't like steam you're welcome to never buy anything from them. Am I missing something here? 1Kurgan1 cited quick responses on his issues, perhaps if you have issues you should confer with them on the proper way to raise complaints.

Whining and sniveling about how you hate the UI, have crashes, and citing a 3 year old article is like trumpetting the fact that Vista sucked. It's pissing into the sea. If you really want change get people to stop buying Steam games and products. If there wasn't any money in it, Valve would not be supporting it. Capitalism.

Hate aside, you say steam sucks because there are occasional crashes. Then go buy your games at a brick and mortar store. Wait, games on computers may cause crashes until they are properly patched, like steam forces you to do on start-up. How devious of them to try and make sure your software is stable, they must be the new software Nazis.

Moan about something worthwhile. Apple's walled garden, the US governments stupidity, or the fact that the newest technology is so much cooler than what you have now. Steam isn't forcing itself on you (unless you buy certain Steam requiring games), so walk away if you have misgivings.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
steam is shit and i hate steam
heres why

http://webdevsys.com/steamingPileOfShit.htm

i just started this thread because i am so pissed off at steam trying to tolerate this pile of total crap
crashed ****ing 2 times with in 30 minutes

alright guys whos with me

You strait up found a old ass website, that one person with enough time on there hands posted the most random "SAY no" shit i have ever seen
with 2008 tags on it :laugh:

The pictures of steam in those links, where a previous build of steam from i'm guessing 2008, this person, goes on to rant about these supposedly accusations, and complains about updates for software from the developers them selves, which may improve on the game (even counter strike). Steam was originally downloaded and meant for you to always be connected online(via steam cloud). That means its your dam decision to start up steam, and start gaming off there servers and clouds, regardless online or offline mode(which can be chosen in steam settings).

I hate people with no experience with a software, and start making the craziest accusations immediately, Enough to post a poll and thread.

Ill tell you strait up OP.

Ive used steam on over dozens of computers and i'm barly of legal age to buy dam tobacco, Steam is a great program, why do you think its still here, and enough of a deal for you to make a thread about it in mid 2011. It shows how much of a patience you have on researching and figuring out the problem.

But that's what the forums are here for, so we can help people out.

Steam is one bad-ass program, they fix it continually, update it continually, help everybody out continually.

It probably is a virus, reg conflict, driver conflict, or computer instability that causing your steam to crash. Its def not Steam crashing, because they update it, and bug test it way to much for you to even state steam is bad software.

Processor Phenom II 955 @ 3955Mhz 1.45v
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 push-pull /2x140mm + 2x230mm + 2x120mm = super noisy computer
Memory 4x2Gb Kingston DDR3-1333 8-8-8-22 @ 1527Mhz
Video Card(s) Crossfire 2x Sapphire Radeon 6850 @ 850/1200
Storage 320Gb Western Digital WD3200AAJS
Display(s) Samsung 23" 1920x1080
Case Azza Solano 1000R Full-Tower
Audio Device(s) VIA VT1708S (integrated) + quadraphonic speakers
Power Supply CoolerMaster Extreme Power Plus 700w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
i remember steam took up 80mb of ram on my old computer when playng games, which was frustrating since it only had 512mb

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
i remember steam took up 80mb of ram on my old computer when playng games, which was frustrating since it only had 512mb

no comment, you shouldnt game shit on 512mb of ram regardless.

only using 40-50mb on Windows XP.

Im downloading shit as I type from steams cloud, get with 2011 and stop bitching. Start troubleshooting, discovering, and learning.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i think steam is a great concept but still has a lot of issues.

• most of the time their servers are fast but when they have big sales then obviously you will have to wait a while to download your new shiney game.
  • also, they are usually late when releasing a brand new game due to technical problems.
  • ive also had issues with their servers not retrieving a game key for me after ive purchased it.
  • i also dont like how i cant sell the games i own but that was a decision i made when i decided to buy from steam.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
i think steam is a great concept but still has a lot of issues. most of the time their servers are fast but when they have big sales then obviously you will have to wait a while to download your new shiney game. also, they are usually late when releasing a brand new game due to technical problems. ive also had issues with their servers not retrieving a game key for me after ive purchased it. i dont like how i cant sell the games i own but that was a decision i made when i decided to buy from steam.

Yeh, ive had a bit of key bugs here and there from the servers, but they are guaranteed to assist you if you call real quick with those problems, and even bigger ones. Installing steam, is basically deciding all your software is going to be digitally saved(stored), and accessible of any machine, with heavy security features(but that's keeping your bank or investment safe.) We agree with the software's re-me info, probably stating that.

I really wonder how big there clouds are now, I believe that they have multiple server locations around the U.S.A.(even national) def serving as many people as possible. EA or Sony has worse technical problems with getting there servers or online service up smoothly. Sometimes taking a bit more time the expected :(

Also if you are like me and have used any of the windows live shit, steam totally wins over Windows Live, I mean you cant even install a game over 10 times on allot of titles, I've had some shitty as bug days and crashing days with Windows live, and some series red face moments trying to get service calling them for the most stupid log in problems, or CD keys not working out of no where, and ive never had my problem solved with Windows Live.

Grant you everybody accessing the steam clouds, For all Steam does for everybody at one time, I can understand the heavy server loads ect. There's only so much bandwidth achievable even in 2011, so a little wait isn't that bad. Torrents can be 10 times worse trying to get the same data.

Also yes, Sometimes I want to grab a new game off steam as soon as possible, but at least steam has the bawls to hold on a release so they can correct those technical problems, and ensure that steam users are getting what they deserve.

Last edited:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Yeah, that would be my only issue with Steam, not being able to resell your games. But its not easy to do that with PC games anyways, since you register them and junk. So I make sure to buy games at such a low price that selling them wouldn't benefit me much, or to buy games that I want to keep forever.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
The only real downside to steam IMO is not being able to sell/trade your games and not have phone verification to further stall hackers.

They could easily fix this if they wanted to (So I feel).

Like how they added gifting? They could allow users to trade games or name a price and sell it to their friends.

I realize this opens the door to a lot of other potential issues, like a hacker getting into your account and trading games, but he'd first have to have games to be able to trade. Then when you got your account back Steam could just revoke all trades made and have you get your stuff back.

I wouldn't be surprised if they have plans to implement a new steam system offering sell/trade in the future.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I love VAC system but would have been nice of them to reverse my ban since i was in iraq when the hacker stole it and hacked away in servers.

Also wished they had like a timeline of ban instead of PERM or like a 2 strike rule.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
steam is shit and i hate steam
heres why

http://webdevsys.com/steamingPileOfShit.htm

i just started this thread because i am so pissed off at steam trying to tolerate this pile of total crap
crashed ****ing 2 times with in 30 minutes

alright guys whos with me

Not the fault of Steam. Something is wrong on your end. If you want to start a thread to get actual help, please do so. Don't bother posting rant threads blaming something else for a problem that exists for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.