• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

New artificial lung, works on natural air!

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
current artificial lungs require pure oxygen to operate. that's why people need to carry the large heavy cylinders with them. this one works on natural air in our atmosphere!
source

Researchers have created an artificial lung that uses air as a ventilating gas instead of pure oxygen - as is the case with current man-made lungs, which require heavy tanks of oxygen that limit their portability. The prototype device was built following the natural lung's design and tiny dimensions and the researchers say it has reached efficiencies akin to the genuine organ. With a volume roughly the same as a human lung, the device could be implanted into a person and even be driven by the heart.

The artificial lung is filled with breathable silicone rubber versions of the blood vessels that branch down to a diameter less than one-fourth of human hair. It was created by first building a mould with miniature features and then layering on a liquid silicone rubber that solidified into artificial capillaries and alveoli. They air and blood channels were then separated with a gas diffusion membrane.

By making the parts of the artificial lung on the same scale as the natural lung, the researchers say they were able to create a very large surface-area-to-volume ratio and shrink the distances for gas diffusion compared to the current state-of-the-art. In comparison to current artificial lung systems that require pure oxygen due to their inefficient oxygen exchange, tests of the new artificial lung using pig blood showed a three to five times improvement in oxygen exchange efficiency over current devices. It is this efficiency that enables the new artificial lung to use plain air instead of pure oxygen as the ventilating gas. continues in source

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
i don't think i'd want to get in a fight with that thing in me, or trust it during exercise. Unless they can regulate how much of the fake "lung" is being used, it's oxygen supply will be constant and unchanged from idle time.

i have always told my older community when they say smoking is bad that eventually i'll be able to buy lungs at wal-mart lol course i was thinking actual like transplant lungs. It'll be interesting to see what this progresses to in 2-5 years.

"Buyer beware! if you purchase this fake lung and defy your government, it will shut down."

pretty soon we'll all just be robots controlled by Obama once he turns the US into a dictatorship and unleashes our forces that are stationed all around the world with only a few of them serving a purpose, like Korea.

Last edited:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Sweet. I'm probably gonna need one of these.

T

twilyth

i don't think i'd want to get in a fight with that thing in me, or trust it during exercise. Unless they can regulate how much of the fake "lung" is being used, it's oxygen supply will be constant and unchanged from idle time.

The mere fact that exercise is even a consideration for you means you'll probably never need one. :)

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
The mere fact that exercise is even a consideration for you means you'll probably never need one. :)

Boo ya! Roasted...

Sweet stuff. As time goes by we inch closer and closer to integrating humans with human technology. Cyborgs?

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64

weights are one of the most enjoyable things to work with, even better than people sometimes :laugh:. Though these cigarettes might catch up with me :rolleyes:

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Won't your heart take care of that by controlling the flow rate? Anyways why are they still making stuff like this rigid? It's going to tear blood vessels right at the connection point. You don't have that problem naturally because the organs and everything connecting to them are elastic, sharing any deformation load. This should be made out of some semi-rigid gel, plastic, or actual tissue grown in one of those lattice molds.

T

twilyth

I don't know about the connection points, but the artifical blood vessels are silicone rubber so that might not be a problem.

Good point about heart rate though.

System Name Felix777
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 10 x64
Won't your heart take care of that by controlling the flow rate? Anyways why are they still making stuff like this rigid? It's going to tear blood vessels right at the connection point. You don't have that problem naturally because the organs and everything connecting to them are elastic, sharing any deformation load. This should be made out of some semi-rigid gel, plastic, or actual tissue grown in one of those lattice molds.

i believe it is, if you look at the picture closesly, there is a slight bend, looks like slightly more pressure is on the right side. Semi-rigid gel-like substance would do something like that.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
i believe it is, if you look at the picture closesly, there is a slight bend, looks like slightly more pressure is on the right side. Semi-rigid gel-like substance would do something like that.

It looks to me like the whole thing is made out of silcone.

Thatguy

i have always told my older community when they say smoking is bad that eventually i'll be able to buy lungs at wal-mart lol course i was thinking actual like transplant lungs. It'll be interesting to see what this progresses to in 2-5 years.

"Buyer beware! if you purchase this fake lung and defy your government, it will shut down."

pretty soon we'll all just be robots controlled by Obama once he turns the US into a dictatorship and unleashes our forces that are stationed all around the world with only a few of them serving a purpose, like Korea.

Stem cell and cellular printing tech will make replacement organs a snap in the next 2 decades. However figuring out how to make a productive organ shape, was the real useful part. Now they know how to print the cells to grow on the dish.