• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Always-on internet DRM: will you be boycotting Ubisoft?

Always-on internet DRM: will you be boycotting Ubisoft?

• Total voters

cadaveca

My name is Dave
acheivements that give you more content..they are the only one that do THAT part of it. At least they give ya something for those acheivements.

But yeah, it is poorly done.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
OK, so, for the single player, U-Play, via acheivements, offers additional singleplayer content. get acheivements, get points for U-Play, redeem them for content in ANY U-Play activated game. PC or console, your choice how you spend the "credits".

This Single Player "Content" you speak of, is mostly aesthetic crap they cut from the game. It's like when a developer hacks off some side quests from a game and sells them as DLC. It doesn't really cost them any extra, but they can make money off selling it. I have not seen any real content that you can buy via Achievement Points. I saw that you can get new outfits in Assassin's Creed, but that was about it.

Think of it this way. You buy the Sims, a strictly single player game. But to play it you need to make an online profile and be connected to the internet the whole time. Then to justify it, EA says they will give you extra items to buy using achievement points you can unlock. All the items you can buy are mostly Aesthetic things like little paintings or some flowers for your house. They don't actually add anything to the story, gameplay, or mechanics or the game, but they are just extra junk you can unlock.

acheivements that give you more content..they are the only one that do THAT part of it. At least they give ya something for those acheivements.

But yeah, it is poorly done.

Stolen from WoW and SC2, which I believe took the concept from games dating back to EQ1\2 where you could collect stuff for rewards. They have done nothing original but take an MMO Concept and staple it to Single Player games in entirety.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
MMO Concept and staple it to Single Player games in entirety.

Good point, right there.

But you know, what's gonna happen when things go "CLOUD-Only"?(making singleplayer games MMO) I mean, there are several companies offering subscription-based access to any game...over the internet. To me, that's what UPlay is the prologue to...to a fully online-only platform, with no retailer-based sales, at all. Game downloads as you play, little-to-no local content.

I mean, poorly executed, you bet. Worth boycotting? Not to me.

You brought it up perfectly...Ubi is trying to take thier service into an MMO-like experience.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Good point, right there.

But you know, what's gonna happen when things go "CLOUD-Only"?(making singleplayer games MMO) I mean, there are several companies offering subscription-based access to any game...over the internet. To me, that's what UPlay is the prologue to...to a fully online-only platform, with no retailer-based sales, at all. Game downloads as you play, little-to-no local content.

I mean, poorly executed, you bet. Worth boycotting? Not to me.

You brought it up perfectly...Ubi is trying to take thier service into an MMO-like experience.

The cloud will never take off in the current state of internet infrastructure. We are many years away from that.

And it is absolutely worth boycotting to me.

System Name Crukins
Processor Intel i7 8700k @ 5GHz
Motherboard ASUS Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H100i
Memory 16GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS RX480 Strix 8GB @1345MHz
Storage Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB + 5.25TB HDDs
Display(s) Samsung SE790C 34" Ultra-wide/Curved 3440x1440p 60hz
Case Corsair 750D Obsidian
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speaker System/Roccat Kave XTD 5.1 Headphones
Power Supply Corsair HX850i Modular
Mouse Corsair - Dark Core SE + MM1000 Mousepad
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX - Blue Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I'm an avid Steam user so I've got no problem with staying online, but at least I get something out of that(I don't really need to list the reasons after all this time, do I?).
With Ubi's DRM, it's nothing but a burden that constantly sits at the back of your mind, taunting you, saying "remember to save you twat, or I'll cut ya!".

So these days, if I see a new release on Steam that looks interesting, I'll go have a look. "Oh wow, this game looks quite goo- oh wait, it's a Ubi game 'YOU MUST BE ONLINE KENT'..." and then I'll completely forget about the game. So yeah, I don't bother with Ubi.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
The cloud will never take off in the current state of internet infrastructure. We are many years away from that.

And it is absolutely worth boycotting to me.

and thats just america, imagine how bad the experience is for those of us in countries with less developed internet.

you're one of a lucky few to get a basic ping of under 50 in australia, and i know a few americans who think internet is shit/unplayable if its above 30

T

twilyth

Just to provide some perspective, less than 30% of people in the US have a broadband subscription. That's per capita not per household.

http://www.oecd.org/document/54/0,3746,en_2649_34225_38690102_1_1_1_1,00.html

You want chart 1d (updated Dec 2010)

The highest number of subscriptions is basically a tie between the Netherlands and Switzerland and even both of those are under 40%.

Edit: This is for fixed broadband. Wireless broadband is on the second workbook sheet. For the US, it is a little over 50 subscriptions per 100 inhabitants. However that is split about evenly between dedicated data subscriptions and standard mobile broadband. Not sure this is relevant to the issue at hand but I figured I should mention this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deja vu?

As I stated before, other single player games that tried this got the kibosh (Bioshock, Mass Effect).

The argument that there are people who play multiplayer only games (WOW, etc...), so there logically should be a base of consumers with stable internet connections, is flawed. This is like saying everyone in a country has a car, because there is traffic in the morning; therefore everyone should pay a percentage of their income tax to carbon sequestering initiatives. Once you say something that stupid every electric car owner, non owner, and everyone in the automotive industry will be up in arms.

Once you change the situation from a tax, to a service, you invite people to opt out. Angry people don't purchase a service, which kills a company. Ubisoft is shooting itself in the foot.

This aside, you should never allow DRM unless you have to. DRM is not surveillance to prove you are not a thief, it is an officer sitting on your computer that could be logging anything. Years ago I would have said that I have nothing to hide, so allow them to check. I now say that you should have to provide some substantial proof that I am doing wrong, then you are welcome to search me. There's a little thing in the US (for those elsewhere fill in your own blank), to the effect of "to prevent unlawful search and seizure." Perhaps you have forgotten about it?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Perhaps you have forgotten about it?

I'm Canadian, eh?(Ninja editting FTW;))

:laugh:

We used to be #2 for broadband penetration, i think we are @ about 95% or something now, with the complete country looking to have reliable service by 2014, as it has been court-ordered that construction complete by then.

I spend probably 99.9% of my waking hours connected. Most of what I do is web-based. that said, most internet providers have access to basically all that info..I mean, if you got an IP, technically, your data is tracked, so whatever you do online is known, even with a proxy in place.

I look at it like walking on the street...everyoen can see what I'm doing, and people looking at me, just doesn't affect me at all. Likewise, what I do with my PC...doesn't matter.

Just a differnet perspective. I mean, it's been long enough now, that clearly UBISoft isn't concerned with a;; the uproar, or this would be something new.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Deja vu?

As I stated before, other single player games that tried this got the kibosh (Bioshock, Mass Effect).

The argument that there are people who play multiplayer only games (WOW, etc...), so there logically should be a base of consumers with stable internet connections, is flawed. This is like saying everyone in a country has a car, because there is traffic in the morning; therefore everyone should pay a percentage of their income tax to carbon sequestering initiatives. Once you say something that stupid every electric car owner, non owner, and everyone in the automotive industry will be up in arms.

Once you change the situation from a tax, to a service, you invite people to opt out. Angry people don't purchase a service, which kills a company. Ubisoft is shooting itself in the foot.

This aside, you should never allow DRM unless you have to. DRM is not surveillance to prove you are not a thief, it is an officer sitting on your computer that could be logging anything. Years ago I would have said that I have nothing to hide, so allow them to check. I now say that you should have to provide some substantial proof that I am doing wrong, then you are welcome to search me. There's a little thing in the US (for those elsewhere fill in your own blank), to the effect of "to prevent unlawful search and seizure." Perhaps you have forgotten about it?

I don't think that applies in this case. Even if it did, it doesn't apply to cadaveca. He's one of those dirty hoser canadians.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
He's one of those dirty hoser canadians.

Yep. Didn't the patriot act or something basically take away that right, anyway? I technicqally, you're open to anything, given the right paperwork is filed, no? I mean, I know I am, so whatever.

I mean, maybe that's part of it, for me. I know full well how the law can be manipulated, so care little.

T

twilyth

I'm Canadian, eh?(Ninja editting FTW;))

We used to be #2 for broadband penetration, i think we are @ about 95% or something now, with the complete country looking to have reliable service by 2014, as it has been court-ordered that construction complete by then.

I spend probably 99.9% of my waking hours connected. Most of what I do is web-based. that said, most internet providers have access to basically all that info..I mean, if you got an IP, technically, your data is tracked, so whatever you do online is known, even with a proxy in place.

I look at it like walking on the street...everyoen can see what I'm doing, and people looking at me, just doesn't affect me at all. Likewise, what I do with my PC...doesn't matter.

Just a differnet perspective. I mean, it's been long enough now, that clearly UBISoft isn't concerned with a;; the uproar, or this would be something new.
I edited my previous post - so no one thinks it was a ninja edit.

You're talking about penetration. What matters is actual subscriptions. I don't know precisely how those numbers are calculated. For example if they include everyone in a household as having a subscription if there is a hard wire to the house. I assume so. If that's true, that means that a lot of people who have access don't want to pay for it - or probably more accurately, can't afford it. I guess we don't care about them either?

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz

Yep. Didn't the patriot act or something basically take away that right, anyway? I technicqally, you're open to anything, given the right paperwork is filed, no? I mean, I know I am, so whatever.

I mean, maybe that's part of it, for me. I know full well how the law can be manipulated, so care little.

Essentially.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I guess we don't care about them either?

Actually, to me, the games are the enticement for them to get online. So quite the opposite. Besides, most new to being online, even if having used a PC for YEARS, just won't have any idea of how screwed up the internet is, really.

I mean, you want privacy, ya gotta disconnect, 100%.

U-Play is just another thing to keep people online, and monitored. I think that's cool, beucase I wanna know what you're doing.;):laugh:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Actually, to me, the games are the enticement for them to get online. So quite the opposite. Besides, most new to being online, even if having used a PC for YEARS, just won't have any idea of how screwed up the internet is, really.

U-Play is just another thing to keep people online, and monitored. I think that's cool, beucase I wanna know what you're doing.;):laugh:

I disagree with this. It seems to me it is more a way to control their customers.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I disagree with this. It seems to me it is more a way to control their customers.

I won't argue that. But control what? You really gonna try telling me that UBI is some deep dark empire or something?

I mean, that's why I saw it's borderline FUD...I don't think it's FUD, but c'mon. What are they gonna do?

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
I mean control what we do with things we already purchased, is already in our possession, and is our right to play.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Well, but then that brings to the EULA, where technically, you never had those rights to begin with. I mean, with some games, much older sure, but very few titles give you very much other than the right to use the content, for a limited time, and how the developer sees fit. I mean, that's how they are able to push automatic updates in the first place, anyway.

And if you are not OK with that, then I guess, your only option is to not purchase. But then, that'd include many more titles than just UBI's.

T

twilyth

I guess we have different assumptions. I would have thought the people without broadband would probably have dial-up. I'm sure a lot have no internet at all, but regardless of the split, I would bet that the main reason is the cost as opposed to not having the incentive. But even if that's true, I don't think anyone who hasn't gotten some form of internet already would be enticed by any sort of video game.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Well, but then that brings to the EULA, where technically, you never had those rights to begin with. I mean, with some games, much older sure, but very few titles give you very much other than the right to use the content, for a limited time, and how the developer sees fit. I mean, that's how they are able to push automatic updates in the first place, anyway.

And if you are not OK with that, then I guess, your only option is to not purchase. But then, that'd include many more titles than just UBI's.

Again, we're back to what I said earlier about EULA's. I don't care what they say. Most of them just step on our rights as consumers. Games that don't require a constant online connection generally can't prevent me from playing what I paid for in the event of internet outages. I don't buy those that do, plain and simple.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I guess you don't buy console games, either.

I mean, they kinda offer the same problem for you, right?

For console gamers, I don't think this is really any issue. And at least enough PC gamers to keep UBISoft releasing titles on the PC platform.

I mean, I respect that you want to be able to do what you like with the software liscences you buy.

But you've never ever actually bought the software itself. OpenSource stuff, sure.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
I guess you don't buy console games, either.

I mean, they kinda offer the same problem for you, right?

For console gamers, I don't think this is really any issue. And at least enough PC gamers to keep UBISoft releasing titles on the PC platform.

I mean, I respect that you want to be able to do what you like with the software liscences you buy.

But you've never ever actually bought the software itself. OpenSource stuff, sure.

Console games don't require a constant online connection. Neither my ps3 or my 360 are online most of the time and play games fine.

And again, if I feel the EULA is unfair, I have absolutely zero remorse in breaking it. I just don't give a damn what it says. Anything that prevents me from using software that I legally paid for, am not copying and giving away for free, or am not using unreasonably is unacceptable to me.

System Name Thakk
Processor i7 6700k @ 4.5Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte G1 Z170N ITX
Cooling H55 AIO
Memory 32GB DDR4 3100 c16
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX3080 Trinity
Storage Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD / Intel 250GB SSD / Samsung Pro 512 SSD / 3TB Seagate SV32
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 100hz IPS Gsync / HTC Vive
Case QBX
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 > Creative Gigaworks T40 > AKG Q701
Power Supply Corsair SF600
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Ducky Shine TKL MX Blue + Vortex PBT Doubleshots
Software Windows 10 64bit
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/12108888
lousy cpu cycle consuming DRMs :mad:

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
Console games don't require a constant online connection. Neither my ps3 or my 360 are online most of the time and play games fine.

And again, if I feel the EULA is unfair, I have absolutely zero remorse in breaking it. I just don't give a damn what it says. Anything that prevents me from using software that I legally paid for, am not copying and giving away for free, or am not using unreasonably is unacceptable to me.

Not to mention that quite a few times, when a EULA was brought up in court, it was thrown the heck out of there. I have been boycotting Ubisoft since Silent Hunter V and I will never purchase a game (by Ubisoft, or anyone else) the Single Player elements of which are not accessible when I am not online. I might consider buying the game out of a bargain bin after I know that a reliable cracking tool exists for it, but that's about it.

I buy *all* my games. But they won't see a single cent of my money.

Lebowski

Processor Intel I5 2500K @4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus P8P67
Cooling CPU - Akasa Venom, GPU - Zalman ZF3000A
Memory 4GB(2x2) G-Skill Ripsaw CL7
Video Card(s) HiS IceQ Turbo 6950 2GB
Display(s) Dell 20.1" 207wfp
Case Casecom 6788
Power Supply Antec Truepower New 650w
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Like I said..how do people deal with WoW being only playable online?

There is a bit of a difference though. WoW requires an internet connection for gameplay. Ubisoft DRM requires an internet connection for gameplay that dosen't require it.