• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Antiproton (antimatter) ring found around Earth

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

ANTIPROTONS appear to ring the Earth, confined by the planet's magnetic field lines. The antimatter, which may persist for minutes or hours before annihilating with normal matter, could in theory be used to fuel ultra-efficient rockets of the future.

Charged particles called cosmic rays constantly rain in from space, creating a spray of new particles - including antiparticles - when they collide with particles in the atmosphere. Many of these become trapped inside the Van Allen radiation belts, two doughnut-shaped zones around the planet where charged particles spiral around the Earth's magnetic field lines.

Satellites had already discovered positrons - the antimatter partners of electrons - in the radiation belts. Now a spacecraft has detected antiprotons, which are nearly 2000 times as massive.

Heavier particles take wider paths when they spiral around the planet's magnetic lines, and weaker magnetic field lines also lead to wider spirals. So relatively heavy antiprotons travelling around the weak field lines in the outer radiation belt were expected to take loops so big they would quickly get pulled into the lower atmosphere, where they would annihilate with normal matter. The inner belt was thought to have fields strong enough to trap antiprotons, and indeed that is where they have been found.

Piergiorgio Picozza from the University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy, and colleagues detected the antiprotons using PAMELA, a cosmic-ray detector attached to a Russian Earth-observation satellite. The spacecraft flies through the Earth's inner radiation belt over the south Atlantic.

Between July 2006 and December 2008, PAMELA detected 28 antiprotons trapped in spiralling orbits around the magnetic field lines sprouting from the Earth's south pole (Astrophysical Journal Letters, DOI: 10.1088/2041-8205/737/2/l29). PAMELA samples only a small part of the inner radiation belt, but antiprotons are probably trapped throughout it. "We are talking about of billions of particles," says team member Francesco Cafagna from the University of Bari in Italy.

"I find it very interesting to note that the Earth's magnetic field works a little bit like the magnetic traps that we are using in the lab," says Rolf Landua at the CERN particle physics laboratory near Geneva, Switzerland. There, researchers have been trying to trap antimatter for ever longer periods to compare its behaviour with that of normal matter.

Alessandro Bruno, another team member from Bari, says antimatter in the Earth's radiation belts might one day be useful for fuelling spacecraft. Future rockets could be powered by the reaction between matter and antimatter, a reaction that produces energy even more efficiently than nuclear fusion in the sun's core.

"This is the most abundant source of antiprotons near the Earth," says Bruno. "Who knows, one day a spacecraft could launch then refuel in the inner radiation belt before travelling further."

Millions or billions of times as many antiprotons probably ring the giant planets.

As these annihilate on contact with normal matter, I'm surprised that spacecraft and satellites flying through it don't get damaged or eventually destroyed.

New Scientist

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Why aren't we noticing the annihilation? Is it some invisible battle?

And I don't just mean with our bear eyes.

Also

"I find it very interesting to note that the Earth's magnetic field works a little bit like the magnetic traps that we are using in the lab"

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Aren't their magnetic traps working a little like the Earth's Magnetic field...

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
No, you wouldn't notice the annihilation, as these are individual particles, so the explosions are truly tiny. If one happened right in front of your nose you wouldn't see it. However, these are most powerful explosions possible - way more than a nuclear fission explosion, so it wouldn't take that much to make it visible. I reckon a 1000 or so particles should do it.

Also, space is pretty empty, even near earth so collisions don't happen all that often.

Last edited:
Future rockets could be powered by the reaction between matter and antimatter, a reaction that produces energy even more efficiently than nuclear fusion in the sun's core.

Lol it ain't amount of energy that matters. It's how you use it. It's rather a good weapon.

Anyway now I wonder where antineutrons are partying

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Make sure the shiny end of your tin foil hat is pointed outwards!!!!

T

twilyth

The diameter of a proton is 10^-15 meters. A nanometer is 10^-9 meters.

The tracings (conductive pathways) on current cpu's are 32nm.

So a proton is more than 1 million times smaller than a trace on a cpu die.

What I think is interesting is that they're finding antiprotons and not anti-hydrogen. You would think that with all of the cosmic radiation we get these lonely antiprotons would have found a willing positron by now. IDK. Seems very strange.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
Dammit man, you had me excited that I was gonna get some sort of awesome super-villainy ring to wear that lets me destroy things at will.

System Name Ultima
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard MSI Mag B550M Mortar
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 rev4 w/ Ryzen offset mount
Memory G.SKill Ripjaws V 2x16GB DDR4 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB Gen4, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500GB , 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD sata,
Display(s) ASUS TUF VG249Q3A 24" 1080p 165-180Hz VRR
Case DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC1200 Audio/Nvidia HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Mouse Steelseries Rival 3 Wireless | Wacom Intuos CTH-480
Keyboard A4Tech B314 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Pro
Dammit man, you had me excited that I was gonna get some sort of awesome super-villainy ring to wear that lets me destroy things at will.

Antimatter Ring:
Level 25 required
Causes utter destruction to 100ft radius (consumes 120 mana)
additional bonuses;
+ 10 to Magic
+ 75 to Mana
+ 5 to Fire Damage
-15 to HP
Stackable

The diameter of a proton is 10^-15 meters
10^-15 is called femto. This short range is the best for strong interaction - a force carried by little sexy gluons.

What I think is interesting is that they're finding antiprotons and not anti-hydrogen. You would think that with all of the cosmic radiation we get these lonely antiprotons would have found a willing positron by now. IDK. Seems very strange.

Mmm the strangest thing ever is called Protonium

Mixing antimatter and matter usually has predictably violent consequences - the two annihilate one another in a fierce burst of energy. But physicists in Geneva have found a new way to make the two combine, at least briefly, into a single substance. This exceptionally unstable stuff, made of protons and antiprotons, is called protonium.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10302-antimatter-and-matter-combine-in-chemical-reaction.html

T

twilyth

It's definitely strange that it lasted even that long. When I first saw the name I figured it would be something like anti-helium. Never would have guessed a hybrid. I guess I filtered out that part of quote. It just didn't register.

I think I might subscribe. The cover story looks good. I always thought space-time was a bogus concept. It's just that it seems to work so damned well.

And I liked the list of articles and news briefs. Plus, unlike SciAm, they don't try to charge you twice for a subscription. :shadedshu

edit: oh, I think maybe the reason there was no anti-hydrogen has to do with the polarity of the field. Just a guess.

edit: oh, I think maybe the reason there was no anti-hydrogen has to do with the polarity of the field. Just a guess.

Anti-hydrogen is extremely rare in the universe. I remember an article it was published in May how scientists managed to trap anti-hydrogen for about 10 minutes.

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26709/

Most important of these is whether ordinary gravity attracts or repels antimatter. In other words, does anti-hydrogen fall up or down? The ALPHA team now plans to cool a small lump of anti-hydrogen and then watch it as it falls (or rises).

ROFL I won't be surprised if anti-hydrogen falls up!

T

twilyth

Yeah. Kinda highlights how little we actually know.

What I was thinking was wrong anyway. Now that I look at the diagram more carefully I see it's a sphere that looks homogenous. So I guess my original question still stands.

Ah, wait a minute. Anti-hydrogen would be electrically neutral. It would drift off and be annihilated.

D'oh!

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U