• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

X800Pro Bad Flash / fully forced atiflash?

Donk23

i have got the same problem as Thaiman in this thread:http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=699&highlight=x800+dead

i missflashed my x800Pro and now the computer does not start with the card installed in AGP-slot, even if i use a PCI-card!
So i tried to "hot-flash" the card...boot up with matrox mystique and G400....

swapping the G400 with the x800 while computer was running works fine, but i just can not get into contact with the x800pro....
atiflash -i = computer locks up
atiflash -f -p 0 bios.bin = computer locks up

i tried the "hot-swap" with an old working 9600, and with this card, atiflash works fine...
so the swap is not the problem...

i think, the problem is, that atiflash trys to access the bios on the card, to read what flashtype to use e.g....
but since the bios is dead, atiflash locks up...

so is there any version or undocumented switch, that allows to brutally force writing the bios?

i have got the same problem as Thaiman in this thread:http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=699&highlight=x800+dead

i missflashed my x800Pro and now the computer does not start with the card installed in AGP-slot, even if i use a PCI-card!
So i tried to "hot-flash" the card...boot up with matrox mystique and G400....

swapping the G400 with the x800 while computer was running works fine, but i just can not get into contact with the x800pro....
atiflash -i = computer locks up
atiflash -f -p 0 bios.bin = computer locks up

i tried the "hot-swap" with an old working 9600, and with this card, atiflash works fine...
so the swap is not the problem...

i think, the problem is, that atiflash trys to access the bios on the card, to read what flashtype to use e.g....
but since the bios is dead, atiflash locks up...

so is there any version or undocumented switch, that allows to brutally force writing the bios?

Obviously that "flashing madness" will never ends ................

The BIOS isn't dead but most probably tries to initialize PCI-E card on AGP board/slot (because of the BIOS flashed in it ;) )
Try with flashrom and if that doesn't help just finally fix it using the only reliable method (re-programming of the card's EEPROM on external programmer).

Last edited:

Donk23

The BIOS isn't dead but most probably tries to initialize PCI-E card on AGP board/slot (because of the BIOS flashed in it )
I used 2.0ns ROM instead off 1.6ns ROM :banghead:
But ROM was for AGP cards....

Try with flashrom and if that doesn't help just finally fix it using the only reliable method (re-programming of the card's EEPROM on external programmer).

like i said, no connection with flashrom or atiflash....
always locks up computer.
i tried with "flashrom bios.bin -p -f 0 flash/yes", it will not lock up, but BIOS ist not flashed....
"flashrom -fhdh backup.bin" just prints "-fhdh" on screen...

and lacking an external programmer, i think i will count this card dead...

I used 2.0ns ROM instead off 1.6ns ROM :banghead:
But ROM was for AGP cards....

like i said, no connection with flashrom or atiflash....
always locks up computer.
i tried with "flashrom bios.bin -p -f 0 flash/yes", it will not lock up, but BIOS ist not flashed....
"flashrom -fhdh backup.bin" just prints "-fhdh" on screen...

and lacking an external programmer, i think i will count this card dead...

The other method is to use your old 9600 card for programmer. Find the EEPROM chip on the 9600 card and unsolder it. Do the same thing with the EEPROM from the X800PRO but remember which is from 9600 because it is important. Prepare some slot for the EEPROM's in which you can alternate them and solder that slot to the correct pins on the 9600 board using wires. Install the 9600 card in the PC (adjust to boot from AGP). Put the original 9600 EEPROM in that slot and boot the PC. When you are in DOS remove the 9600 EEPROM from the slot and put there the X800's EEPROM (without switching off the PC) and then reflash with X800PRO AGP BIOS.

Donk23

The other method is to use your old 9600 card for programmer. Find the EEPROM chip on the 9600 card and unsolder it. Do the same thing with the EEPROM from the X800PRO but remember which is from 9600 because it is important. Prepare some slot for the EEPROM's in which you can alternate them and solder that slot to the correct pins on the 9600 board using wires. Install the 9600 card in the PC (adjust to boot from AGP). Put the original 9600 EEPROM in that slot and boot the PC. When you are in DOS remove the 9600 EEPROM from the slot and put there the X800's EEPROM (without switching off the PC) and then reflash with X800PRO AGP BIOS.

did you ever try this?

i can not believe it will work...
when i boot up with G400+mystique and start flashrom -i it will find no ATI cards...
if i then hotswap to the working 9600, flashrom -i will find the 9600...
if i then hotswap to the x800, flashrom -i will lock up the system...
so everytime i use flashrom it will read the bios....
so it will try to read the damaged x800 bios that is wired to the 9600....and i suppose it will lock up again...

did you ever try this?

i can not believe it will work...
when i boot up with G400+mystique and start flashrom -i it will find no ATI cards...
if i then hotswap to the working 9600, flashrom -i will find the 9600...
if i then hotswap to the x800, flashrom -i will lock up the system...
so everytime i use flashrom it will read the bios....
so it will try to read the damaged x800 bios that is wired to the 9600....and i suppose it will lock up again...

It is not my problem if you don't believe me ;) . But I have never reached situation like that because I am always cheking the BIOS versions before to flash. That's why if you want your card back do the above if not just throw it. Sarch the forum and probably you will believe me :laugh: .

Probably you didn't understand what I am talking about but you don't have X800XT PCI-E in your AGP slot but you succeed to flash X800XT PCI-E BIOS on your AGP card :) you should ask why.

9600 is the tool which gives you chance to flash X800PRO AGP BIOS over the olready flashed with X800XT PCI-E one not over the 9600 one.

Last edited:

Donk23

Probably you didn't understand what I am talking about but you don't have X800XT PCI-E in your AGP slot but you succeed to flash X800XT PCI-E BIOS on your AGP card you should ask why.
*think**think**think* :confused: :ohwell: :eek:

you win....

oki...
than i only need to know, what are the bios chips...
i have a "dead" HIS X800Pro Icq Turbo ViVO (the one that was 99% modable to X800XT, and was allready working as X800XT....)
than i have a sapphire 9600 Atlantis Pro Fireblade (working)
and i have a MSI RX9600XT TD (with freaking slow 3,6ns RAM, but working too)

oki...it is the one labbled 25P05AV, right?
so i will try after work...

Last edited:
*think**think**think* :confused: :ohwell: :eek:

you win....

oki...
than i only need to know, what are the bios chips...
i have a "dead" HIS X800Pro Icq Turbo ViVO (the one that was 99% modable to X800XT, and was allready working as X800XT....)
than i have a sapphire 9600 Atlantis Pro Fireblade (working)
and i have a MSI RX9600XT TD (with freaking slow 3,6ns RAM, but working too)

oki...it is the one labbled 25P05AV, right?
so i will try after work...

Than you can directly solder the EEPROM form your dead card and everything will be OK. The chip should be M25P05 - 512Kbit serial flash memory.

Use that to locate it: http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/34 (it is on the front side of the PCB).