• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Battlefield 3 Clubhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
If AMD did that refresh though it would be a step backwards. Only time I have ever seen them do a "refresh" was 2900's to 3800's, and 5800's to 6800's.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well not so much a refesh more like 4890 vs 4870 situation is what we would see.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
I guess that was a refresh as well, but it didn't carry the nameplate of a generation jump. That was also an upgrade, a pretty good one. They have ran out of digits for this generations though, unless they jump backwards or use 5's, which I doubt they will use 5's.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
thats just it as i pointed out they do indeed have numbers left

6860 same as the 4860 ;)

6980 lol theres still room for AMD to go MWUAHAHAHA we will counter you Nvidia GTX 575 with are 6980 BWUAHAHAHAHAHA, then 2 months later both companies release the 600 series and 7000 series and everyone that bought the refresh looks like a twat.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
60's would make no sense, upgraded 6950, but still slower than 6970, usually just revamp top card, though I forgot 6980 could be in the cards. I personally still prefer the x2 naming scheme, they said it was confusing, what is so confusing about 4870x2, if I was running 2x 4870's, I would use 2x at front, x2 at end meant single card, so simple.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
meh eitherway dosent matter i want BF3 on steam so i can rape the Frostbite engine with my awesome hardware leetness.

System Name Wopper
Processor Intel i5 3570 @ 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Video Card(s) eVGA GTX 760 3Gb w/acx cooling
Storage 120Gb Evo SSD + 2 GB Games + 1.5 TB Data
Display(s) ViewSonic VX2268WM 22-Inch 120 Hz 3D-Ready
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Realtec onboard
Power Supply Antec TruePower New 550W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
Looks like Battlefield 3 Presentations happen early at GamesCon.

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
justpushstart.com -Battlefield 3: Unraveling the Mystery Surrounding the Recon Class

Wed, Aug 10, 2011

Battlefield 3′s release date is nearing fast and although we’ve been given copious amounts of information regarding numerous aspects of the game, there is one area of the game that we’re still mostly in the dark about — the Recon class.
Here’s what we know so far about Battlefield 3′s classes:
The Assault class has the ability to use a grenade launcher as well as taking over Support’s old role as Medic by using the defibrillators. Making sure to complete the exchange of duties, the Support class has access to the ammo kit, which makes sense given that I’m sure this class will need a constant supply of ammunition to continue suppressing enemies (another new mechanic). In addition, they’ll also have access to a bipod for their LMG to aid in accurate shooting. Due to their heavy weapon handling skills, it is also said that this class may wield assault rifles with several attachments such as the flashlight. Engineers have seen the least variation since they have retained their usual equipment which includes the following: RPG-7/AT4, tank mines, and the repair tool.
Now let’s focus on the mysterious Recon class. Let’s start with what has been revealed so far. Recon will have access to C4 once again. This compact explosive has proved useful in setting up intricate traps, bringing down structures, and taking out armored vehicles. Binoculars are expected to make a return (in some form) as well allowing snipers the ability to call in artillery on their enemies. Finally, the Recon class will be sharing a piece of equipment with the Support class. You may be thinking, “But snipers are precise one-shot-one-kill soldiers while LMG experts pepper their targets in fully automatic fire.” The answer should be obvious, however. Snipers can outfit their weapon with a bipod. This is a great addition that is sure to compliment the prone stance as well as eliminating the return of scope sway (don’t forget about the scope glint though!).

DICE has gone on the record as saying that the Recon class will be more of a “team player” this time around. How exactly are they going to go about achieving a more integrated sniper role? Well, I’ve put together a short list of possible uses the class can bring to the table. I’ll begin with the more obvious uses of a sniper’s talents.
1. Claymores: Claymore would be a useful tool for any sniper. Just to cover my bases, the inclusion of claymores AND C4 isn’t redundant. C4 have several uses as stated above, but they tend to be used offensively since they are usually placed on occupied buildings or vehicles. Claymores are more of a defensive weapon since they can be set up to protect yourself. If someone is sneaking up behind a sniper, chances are the unaware shooter won’t know that they need to set off their C4 to kill the approaching enemy. Claymores provide that added protection since they’ll be watching your back for you (in a way). Also, in terms of team play, claymores would be useful in protecting bases in Rush mode by setting them up in doorways and other major access points. In a game revolving around tactics and strategy, giving players the option between an offensive and defensive explosive is a good idea.
**This may have been confirmed through data files located in the Alpha build**
2. Spotting Scope: I know this isn’t anything new for this class, but its return hasn’t been confirmed or denied yet. A spotting scope is definitely a useful gadget for the entire team. Marking targets (without spamming your Select button) is advantageous to the team as they can follow and eliminate the enemies leaving the sniper’s effective kill area or ones that the sniper has unfortunately missed after taking a shot. Recent Alpha build information has revealed a weapon attachment that may very well take on this role, but I’ll get to that later.
3. Laser-Designated Strike: With Battlefield 3 seeing the return of jets, this gadget could help tie the new aircraft into team-based gameplay fairly easily. Picture using the binoculars to designate a target for a friendly in a jet. Then, when they fly by, they can drop down some explosive ordinance with precision. Without a designated target, jet users will be left to estimate the impact point of their explosives and this would leave them as somewhat lone wolves. By adding a laser-designator to the Recon class, DICE would be tying the jets directly into the team.

You may still be wondering about that side note I left on the Claymores section. Let’s address that now along with other rumors that have made their way out through Alpha testing.
Recent internet buzz has revealed some interesting information regarding further class alterations. If people who claim to be “in-the-know” are to be believed, then the Recon class may not be getting the C4 after all. Instead, it is said that C4 will be the Support’s responsibility and Recon will be left with Claymores to defend themselves. To some, and myself, this seems more fitting for each role.
Concerning the Spotting Scope, a weapon attachment has popped up in the Alpha build files labeled “Target Pointer.” Immediately, I was hoping that this would be a range finder. That would bring more depth to Recon as they looked at the target distance in meters and raised the scope to the appropriate notch on their crosshairs. Unfortunately, that seems unlikely and this attachment is most likely to be used in a similar fashion to Bad Company 2′s Spotting Scope.
The files also reveal Recon’s gadget named “Radio Beacon.” With binoculars no where in sight in the files, a radio beacon could be the replacement for the binoculars packing the artillery strike. Instead, recent forum chatter seems to state that the radio beacon will call in a mortar strike.
Lastly, a tripod is said to be another add-on for snipers to provide more stability and precision than the aforementioned bipod. While I agree that variety is the spice of life, I do not believe this would be too meaningful of an addition. Simply putting in a bipod is a smart move. I don’t think Recon should have to worry about upgrading to reduce sway and recoil. The class should instead be given a more meaningful gadget instead of the 2.0 version of an existing one.

That’s all we know (or think we know) for now regarding Battlefield 3′s Recon class. With the next beta well on its way, it seems we will be hearing more about this class and, hopefully, get to try sniping out ourselves in the coming month.

Last edited:
System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
New Battlefield Blog Post: Battleblog #6: Building the Game From the Gun Out

by HBrun
Posted Aug 11, 2011, 12:0AM

Every Battlefield game is built from the gun out. If persistance is what keeps you coming back for more, the gunplay is the essential foundation that the entire game hinges on. Read on for Senior Designer Alan Kertz' thought on what makes shooting in Battlefield 3 unique.

Tweaking, testing, and re-tweaking the weapons in Battlefield 3 is the short description of a normal work day for Senior Designer Alan Kertz at this stage in the production. Now that we are well into August, Alan's work has long since gone from overarching shooter vision to detailed fine-tuning. Walk down to his desk at any given day and you are likely going to find him poring over notes or some onscreen graphs, deep in discussion with his designer colleagues:

Is the exit smoke from this RPG large enough? Is the precision increase when adding a heavy barrel to this rifle noticeable enough in semi-burst fire mode? How does the addition of a foregrip to this rifle affect the stability when firing in fully automatic mode?

-- Authenticity is really important when you’re doing a modern day game like Battlefield 3. We know our players look critically at the guns in our games, so we brought in experts like Andy McNab. Our military advisors not only help us get it right, they help us understand why it’s right."

Compared to Battlefield 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2, there is a larger focus in Battlefield 3 on authenticity and real life handling. This comes down to details like reloads, mobility, bullet trajectories, and even how the caliber and the barrel length of a gun determines muzzle velocity and energy. For Alan, this approach clearly leads tio better gameplay.

-- With authenticity as a base, you get a natural balance because all real life guns are based on trade-offs. It really pulls out the personality of each weapon system to use the authentic stats and features. Each army selects a different weapon, for a different reason, and we pass those selections on to our players."

Varied weapons for all play styles
The arsenals of U.S. Marine Corps and the Russian Army are both featured prominently in the game, since those are the sides you play in both single and multiplayer. Building from that base, we selected a number of additional weapons that are returning classics, competing designs, and alternate combat roles. Each weapon choice means it gives the player an additional tactical choice: Get in close with a carbine, PDW, or shotgun. Hit from long range with a sniper rifle. Engage tanks with an RPG. Or lay down suppressive fire with a light machinegun.

We’re not just giving you weapon A or B, take it or leave it, though. Each main weapon will be heavily customizable to suit different roles. The majority of weapons in Battlefield 3 can be tailored by the player to fit anything from close quarter to long range combat, or something in between. But we’ll save that for a later Battleblog post, when we will go deep into weapons customization.

Stay tuned for Battlefield 3 Battleblog #7 soon

Last edited:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
No real surprise there, I'm assuming all of their games will be like that from now on to draw attraction to Origin.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.

That is nothing new. Origin is their connection server. You have to log into your EA account to play EA games. The EA account which is now called your Origin Account. Plus your buddy list and the news feed in the game has already been show to be information pulled from Origin.

Also they are completely wrong about memory use. Hard to trust people who don't do their research.

System Name Wopper
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8 GB
Case Antec P182
Software Windows 8.1 Pro
twitter.com/pragmatize: "@zh1nt0 Will the other preorder exclusives be available at a later date to everyone? The dogtags and outfits I'm referring to."

twitter.com/zh1nt0: "@pragmatize Not confirmed yet, but the PWP pack is available after 30 days :)"

System Name FumoffuFumoffu
Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z87X -UD3H
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB DDR3 1600 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 7970 OC
Storage 1- WD 500GB 1- Samsung F2 1.5TB 1- Crucial M4 128GB SSD 1-256GB ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3 SSD
Display(s) Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' 3ms Full HD 1920x1200 WideScreen LCD Monitor
Case Corsair Graphite Series 600T
Audio Device(s) Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 Pro x64

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
So it turns out I didn't pre-order already. Who's got the best bonuses?

That is nothing new. Origin is their connection server. You have to log into your EA account to play EA games. The EA account which is now called your Origin Account. Plus your buddy list and the news feed in the game has already been show to be information pulled from Origin.

Also they are completely wrong about memory use. Hard to trust people who don't do their research.

The different is that you need to download and install the Origin client.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
The different is that you need to download and install the Origin client.

I been figuring that was going to be required this entire time anyways. Forces people to have it, then those people might browse games. Service is much like Steam and Steam requires it for their games, just playing follow the leader.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
I'm not against having Origin, but if Steam and EA get along later, then I will use only Steam, cause that is the only way I buy my games unless I wanted a limited edition copy.

I been figuring that was going to be required this entire time anyways. Forces people to have it, then those people might browse games. Service is much like Steam and Steam requires it for their games, just playing follow the leader.

Imagine 3 or 4 years in the future... where every publishers have their own "client", and every games will be required to install those clients to play.. :laugh:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
yea ive made that point on a few other forums, once every Publisher has a client i will quit playing PC games, at that point the amount of time i have to spend dealing with all those clients will mean ill just hang it up,

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
I already pre-ordered, and The Gun Club just sent me a 25% off coupon code, almost a f*cking week later. If anyone's interested (must be an active forum member with let's say 1000 posts, and active in this thread in some way), let me know. Expires in 5 days, so may as well save somebody else some money!

System Name Dell inspiron 5570
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-7500U Processor
Motherboard Dell Inc.
Memory SK Hynix 4GB DDR4 SDRAM PC4-19200
Video Card(s) Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Storage Intel Optane+932GBHDD w/ External Crucial M500 240GB ssd
Display(s) 15.6" w/ Extended display Samsung 27"
Audio Device(s) Realtek Audio
Mouse ONN Wireless
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Home (x64)
Benchmark Scores HaHa yeah right :p
I already pre-ordered, and The Gun Club just sent me a 25% off coupon code, almost a f*cking week later. If anyone's interested (must be an active forum member with let's say 1000 posts, and active in this thread in some way), let me know. Expires in 5 days, so may as well save somebody else some money!

Total Posts: 637 and only read this thread = I flunk :laugh:

Thats a great deal though and very generous DanishDevil. A great TPU member. :toast:

Note- If you for some crazy reason cant find a taker I'm looking to buy BF3 any day. :D

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
i would use it... i really really would if it was on steam... god damn you EA your totally dicking me over here

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Hmm I joined Gun Club recently...just have a welcome email. I'd probably want that though I assume it's an Origin copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.