• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is the kindle 3 worth it?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
so I read alot of books and manga and when I read ebooks and whatnot I read from my pc(or just a book) but am looking to go digital to save some money, I have seen alot of review for the kindle but has anyone used it.

is it worth 100 bucks

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
Abolutely, yes. For reading traditional books, I've never attempted manga or anything like that.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Depends on how much the DRM bothers you. Amazon has been known to take books away from you long after you've bought them, due to licensing issues. I find this unacceptable, so I boycott the device.

I've played with the Kindle 2 and it was a nice device, so I think you'll like it.

EDIT

The electronic ink display is really nice to look at and looks nothing like an LCD display. It also takes a visible amount of time to transition from one display to another.

Re the DRM: I do buy loads of games on Steam, which is a similar type of DRM and they have the same type of control, but Valve have never pulled a game that someone's paid for, to my knowledge. If they started doing this, I'd be really pissed.

Last edited:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Qubit is right on the factor of DRM.. But, in a issue of a few bucks here and there... I really don't see a issue on the factor. Reason being.. If you had the hard copy, you spent XX.XX or X.XX on the book.. Then you ether throw it away or even lose it.. So, you gotta then buy the item again.. So..

Who's to say you're the type that sells off the hard copies? There is the weight of the factor.. Is the kindle 3 a good item. Yes. Is there draw backs? yes.. But, with everything you buy, there is a draw back. Even if DRM is attached to it or not..

IMPO of the matter.. But, I do respect Qubit's views on it and just throwing out another..

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
As a collector of books since I was about 11 years old, I prefer holding a bound hard copy in my hand and paging through the contents.
Enjoying the aroma of a good leather bound volume and being able to see my collection on the shelves in my library (and all over the house).
Being able to pull a book and showing someone the orginal cover art work in 3D (real life) and having the copy for as long as I want to keep it, or being able to sell it on the open market if I want to do so.
To be able to jot notes in the margins of books when something really impresses me, and to read the notes that people have written in old books they have owned who have done the same.
To see a handwritten note and signature by the author of the book to the person who originally bought it, and in some cases the handwritten notes for all the co-authors and illustrators or to see a family message from one family member to another when the book was passed down to the next generation.
To marvel at the original illustrated prints that were included between every chapter, not as a scanned image, but in the way they were originally meant to be seen by the reader.
To be able to lend the book to a young person who loves the genre to pass on the experience and joyfull immersion of reading real books.

But, hey, if you like the convenience of an electronic device for reading and storing hundreds of books, then yes, the Kindle 3 and other "book readers" are a worthy investment.

As always, Just the opinion of yer Old Uncle Kreij. :toast:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
can you import DRM free books onto the kindles? i've got a large EPUB collection of free stuff.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Qubit is right on the factor of DRM.. But, in a issue of a few bucks here and there... I really don't see a issue on the factor. Reason being.. If you had the hard copy, you spent XX.XX or X.XX on the book.. Then you ether throw it away or even lose it.. So, you gotta then buy the item again.. So..

Who's to say you're the type that sells off the hard copies? There is the weight of the factor.. Is the kindle 3 a good item. Yes. Is there draw backs? yes.. But, with everything you buy, there is a draw back. Even if DRM is attached to it or not..

IMPO of the matter.. But, I do respect Qubit's views on it and just throwing out another..

Damn, you're making sense again. :shadedshu :D

The space-saving aspect and having everything with you is of course an enormous game-changing benefit - the sort of thing only computers can bring. There's a few others too, like the annotation functions. I don't have a Kindle, so I'm not an expert in its operation to really do it justice. I only know from the 10 minutes I spent with one from a friend who has it, who showed me round it. It is very good, make no mistake.

@Kreij: Ahhh, holding a book in your hands and reading... the familiar blur of illegible text due to these 40-something myopic eyes. :cry: I'm still in denial, so refuse to get bifocals or reading glasses. For now.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
I like the kindle ive tried out a buddies works great for reading manga i use the app on my phone to read allot of stuff

can you import DRM free books onto the kindles? i've got a large EPUB collection of free stuff.

calibre - E-book management is your friend it will convert anything to anything

ive used it for the kindle app for android ive converted allot of different formats with almost, no issue 1 book had margin issues which i was able to fix by playing with calibre's options.

i don't see why the actual kindle would be different

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
calibre - E-book management is your friend it will convert anything to anything

i use calibre for my iphone, so if that works on the kindle all is well.

i've been tempted to get one since they're selling the wifi models (not specified which model kindle in the ad) for ~$180 here now.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
i use calibre for my iphone, so if that works on the kindle all is well.

i've been tempted to get one since they're selling the wifi models (not specified which model kindle in the ad) for ~$180 here now.

Just set it to convert to .mobi format for kindle

watch it some kindles are cheaper but they have built in advertizing crap

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
watch it some kindles are cheaper but they have built in advertizing crap

No shit. I can just imagine annoying and distracting flashing animated ads while I'm trying to read. :shadedshu It's not that bad, is it?

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
"Special Offers - Special offers and sponsored screensavers display on the Kindle screensaver and on the bottom of the home screen—they don't interrupt reading "
Whats bad is the price difference is like 30 bucks, I bet someone on XDA already has something to block it.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
just block the ad server in your router (or dont let it go online :p)

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Damn, you're making sense again. :shadedshu :D

The space-saving aspect and having everything with you is of course an enormous game-changing benefit - the sort of thing only computers can bring. There's a few others too, like the annotation functions. I don't have a Kindle, so I'm not an expert in its operation to really do it justice. I only know from the 10 minutes I spent with one from a friend who has it, who showed me round it. It is very good, make no mistake.

@Kreij: Ahhh, holding a book in your hands and reading... the familiar blur of illegible text due to these 40-something myopic eyes. :cry: I'm still in denial, so refuse to get bifocals or reading glasses. For now.

lol.. Not making sense, just making thought on your view of the factor.. Don't get me wrong on the Boycotting effect.. I haven't went to Burger King in 5y due to a woman needing to use a calculator to give me $5.25 back for my meal.. There is reasons behind everyone's madness. Even if it isn't madness that drives them to the factor.

I have quite a few kindle books. I love to read them on my phone when I have a long visit to the library.. But, I just don't see the need, for myself, to spend the money.. I'm not that high on the factor of "books" to need it.. Quite yet.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I'm just going to add one more thing for any who will listen to my rambling.
Tech is great.
The advances in tech that we've seen in even the last 5 years is awesome and sometimes astounding.
That being said, tech is no substitute for reality.
Reading a book is better that reading it on the screen.
Sitting wth a friend or loved on a couch with a real photo album is better than doing it on a computer.
Talking with someone face to face is far superior to social online sites.

All the tech (as in reading books) is fine when you must have it in that form to make it possible (on a plane or whatever), but get off the computer, get out of the chair, get outside of the house and learn that reality is way more interesting and gratifying than anything virtual space can offer you.

Forgive me for adding personal thoughts to what would normally be a pure tech thread, but sometimes people need to be reminded of a few things.

Carry on.

streetfighter 2

Reading a book is better than reading it on the screen.
Sure, we can all agree to that . . . But --

I used to carry all my textbooks and reference material around with me on my laptop, actually I still do, and when I need to find something I can literally grep my books. I always found it amusing to see students use their textbook glossary/index; how old skool. Also I can open several pages from one textbook simultaneously, good luck doing that without a photocopier and/or ruining your binding.

I wish I could say that I read novels all the time, but the fact is I read technical specifications much more often. Once again, storing a few hundred tech docs on an ereader is better than hard copies. I even jot down digital notes, insert digital bookmarks and email important information while I'm reading, all of which can be searched/indexed later for quick reference.

My mom is getting old and she can't see so well anymore. The fact that she can't read regular books anymore has made her pretty depressed. Unfortunately it's not the type of vision loss that can be fixed with reading glasses. In a typical week she used to go through four or five novels (seriously :eek:). The only solution I've found for her is an ereader that allows her to zoom in.

I haven't been endowed with a great deal of empathy or sentimentality, so much of what you mentioned is abstract to me. I'm more impressed with the utility of a book vs an ereader. Books don't need batteries and they work even if you drop them (or get drunk and fall to sleep on them). Also no one steals your book when you leave it next to your towel at the beach.

Back on subject . . . I see tons of people using kindle 3s on the train every morning. They sure seem to enjoy it.

Last edited:

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
Case Fractal Design R6
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
is it true that kindle batteries last for ages? as in, they dont go flat leaving them open on a page?

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
is it true that kindle batteries last for ages? as in, they dont go flat leaving them open on a page?

They last a week to week and half with out charging. The screensaver is just like a regular page, so there's no difference in power usage when reading and when sleeping.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
My mother uses the Kindle 2 and she just told me it's been great for her and batteries last weeks for her.

I must admit if i was a reader like my mother is i be happy with it my self too as they are very easy to read.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
I jumped on one

like it so far, and is pretty easy on the eyes

thanks people

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes