• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TRENDnet Demonstrates First 500 Mbps Powerline Adapter with Four Integrated GbE Ports

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
TRENDnet, a best-in-class wired and wireless networking hardware brand, demonstrates today from IFA Berlin the first 4-Port 500Mbps Powerline AV Adapter, model TPL-405E, which features four Gigabit ports to connect all media center devices to a high speed 500Mbps Powerline network.

New media center devices such as Internet televisions, NVRs, Receivers, and game consoles are now network ready-meaning that each device is capable of streaming large HD files directly from the Internet. TRENDnet's ground breaking 4-Port 500Mbps Powerline AV Adapter connects up to four media center devices to the Internet at the same time using existing electrical lines.

Network one adapter to a router and plug another adapter into any outlet on the same electrical system for instant high speed network access. TRENDnet adapters connect automatically to each other over a secure encrypted signal with no CD installation required. For additional security, press the Sync button to change existing encryption keys.

LED displays convey device status for easy power management and troubleshooting. Embedded power saving technology lowers power consumption by up to 70% in standby mode-resulting in measurable power savings, given that the device is always on.

"Network ready Internet televisions now make up to 50% of total television sales in select markets," stated Sonny Su, Director of Technology for TRENDnet. "The need to connect multiple media center devices to the Internet is already here and we are excited to be able to bring compelling Powerline solutions to market."

The 4-Port 500Mbps Powerline AV Adapter, model TPL-405E, comes with a three year limited warranty and will be available from TRENDnet's online and retail partners this coming December.

The MSRP for the TPL-405E is US $109.99

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

System Name Tiger1-Workstation
Processor Intel XEON E3-1275V2 / E3-1230V3
Motherboard ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 / AsRock H87 Performance
Cooling Corsair H80i Watercooling
Memory 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400
Video Card(s) Inno3D GTX 780 Ti
Storage 2TB SSD(4X OCZ vertex 4 256GB LSI RAID0 + Crucial M550 1TB)
Display(s) 2x Dell U3011 30" IPS
Case Silverstone Raven 03
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Power Supply Corsair AX860i Platinum
Software Windows 8.1 Enterprise
PUH-LEASE. I'm tired with these so-called "claims".
show me one review where these gimmick power-line adapter reach anywhere near their advertise speed(and not a measly 10mbps). ok SHOW me one review where these gimmick power-line adapter actually beat an equivalent wireless router in that regard, so far, all i've seen has been nothing but disappointment.

PUH-LEASE. I'm tired with these so-called "claims".
show me one review where these gimmick power-line adapter reach anywhere near their advertise speed(and not a measly 10mbps). ok SHOW me one review where these gimmick power-line adapter actually beat an equivalent wireless router in that regard, so far, all i've seen has been nothing but disappointment.

I thought the same when I read it, but not in those words. The idea behind those powerline adapters is nice, but unfortunately they don't always work that well and performance is worse than Wi-Fi.

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Progress in powerline adapters is welcome. Agreed, they are not suitable for the enthusiasts desktop connection, but they are a great way to provide access to clients that don't demand high bandwidth, eg. media centres, webcam, "mum's PC" etc.

Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX--> Xonar Essence One --> SPL Auditor -->Hivi X6
Progress in powerline adapters is welcome. Agreed, they are not suitable for the enthusiasts desktop connection, but they are a great way to provide access to clients that don't demand high bandwidth, eg. media centres, webcam, "mum's PC" etc.

I'm all for progress - on the technology front that is, however, not in snake oil marketing.

if these adapters are only capable of 10mps in common scenarios, then they should really advertise them as 10mps, uneducated buyers would be completely fooled thinking they could get something close to a gigabit Ethernet connection only to find out that they are copying files at 2MB/s and scratching their head on what went wrong.

these adapters are not cheap, and must be used in combination with a router(probably wireless to begin with), overall it will cost WAY more than a decent wireless setup, but nowhere near the latest wireless-N speeds. for this reason, i must speak out - this technology is far from maturity.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
I thought the same when I read it, but not in those words. The idea behind those powerline adapters is nice, but unfortunately they don't always work that well and performance is worse than Wi-Fi.

It would really depend on the situation, as I have an area in home theater where I run one of the EOP's and I get around 80mbs of throughput, but the total distance is less than 10 feet, but it is still faster than wifi.

It really is all about the details involved, like the distance the signal is traveling and on what kind of power line, copper or aluminum, and the current in the line when the data is sent. It can beat Wifi, but it's all about the details, in general and in most applications WiFi will be faster, but to say wifi is always faster is just not a true statement.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

I have to disagree, performance definitely isn't worse than wireless.

When I tested my 200Mbps kit it gave me ~48Mb/s(~6MB/s) transfer speeds going from the router/server in my basement to the bedroom on the second floor. The wireless G was only able to sustain ~2Mb/s(~256KB/s), Wireless n was only capable of ~8Mb/s(~1MB/s).

if these adapters are only capable of 10mps in common scenarios, then they should really advertise them as 10mps, uneducated buyers would be completely fooled thinking they could get something close to a gigabit Ethernet connection only to find out that they are copying files at 2MB/s and scratching their head on what went wrong

A few things. First, they are definitely capable of more than 10mbps, so get off that idea. My 200Mbps kit gave ~48Mbps in a common usage scenario with a fair bit of distance between them, so a 500Mbps kit would likely do even better. Secondly, the ports are Gigabit, they aren't advertising the devices as being able communicate between eachother at gigabit, in fact they clearly state this. What they have done is taken a normal power line device and integrated a 4-port gigabit switch into it. Which is great because it allows the devices connected to the power line box to communicate with eachother at gigabit speeds. It is only when network traffic need to travel across the power lines that it is slowed down to 500Mbps(or whatever it gets in the given situation). This is great if you are in a situation like me, where the comcast drop is in the basement, but you have 2 PCs an Xbox360 and a PS3 in a bedroom upstairs. The 2 PCs, Xbox, and PS3 can all talk to eachother at gigabit speeds and when they have to use the internet they use the powerline which is faster than the internet connection anyway so it doesn't matter that is it slower than gigabit. Your argument is the same as saying routers should be able to advertise their gigabit ports because the internet connection isn't Gigabit, so people are being "tricked" into thinking if they buy a gigabit router, they will get gigabit internet speeds.

Last edited:
.First, they are definitely capable of more than 10mbps, so get off that idea..
you need to let go of that number(10) to be honest, in your entire argument, you repeatedly promote that [the] adapter is capable of of more than 10mbps, yet you never once mentioned it is not able to hit the advertise 500mbps speed. this sort of zeal almost makes you sound like you work for their marketing team.

allow me to make a better comparison, its like a mass murderer being accused of killing about 30 people, then you, as his lawyer, steps out and say, 'sir you are wrong, he only killed 27 people, so he is innocent.'

I never said it was IMPOSSIBLE to achieve more than 10mbps, I merely put down a subjective number for argument's sake, it could be 15 or 20 on a good day for all I care but you gonna need to link me some reviews that says otherwise. the reviews i've read says it hugely depends on variables such as location, distance, interference, powerline conditions, weather, your neighbor' dog etc. not to mention the possibility of having your next door neighbor accidentally jump into your network if you share the same transformer. most of the times tho, an upstairs/downstairs/basement connection in an 20-30 year old house it is not any better than a good wifi connection. (eg. Cisco routers).

Your argument is the same as saying routers should be able to advertise their gigabit ports because the internet connection isn't Gigabit, so people are being "tricked" into thinking if they buy a gigabit router, they will get gigabit internet speeds.
that is possibly one of the the worst arguments I've ever seen. you are comparing apples to watermelons.
I have no idea where you get the idea that people would think they would be "tricked" into get gigabit internet speeds when they shop for gigabit routers. clearly i'm talking about LAN speed, not ISP speed. anyone dumb enough to be confused with LAN speed = DSL speed probably deserves getting their money jipped the living shiet out of them. im comparing a wired LAN connection vs power-line LAN connection here. which is a perfectly valid comparison.

however you blatantly ignored my main point in general (which is not limited to just this powerline adapter)- deceitful marketing, why market something it's not? if its only capable of 50mbps, then market is as 50mbps, why multiple that number by 10? why defend it? WHY? YOU WORK FOR THIS COMPANY?!

Last edited:

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Let's summarise

1./ Improvement and progress is good, we all like that. And this is a better product offering than their previous model
2./ Original powerline devices were pretty poor, and gave it a bad name. Current powerline options are far better now
3./ This is a HUB and Powerline in one package. That's great! A one-socket solution to feed multiple clients in one room. How silly to have multiple powerline adapters to feed an xbox, media centre, PC, and webcam or VOIP phone all sitting in the same corner of the room
4./ NOBODY should talk about aluminium wiring in their house. That is illegal under all wiring standards that I know and trying to expect top speeds over old house wiring from 80 years ago is like comparing a car with a horse and cart
5./ Wired transfer speeds are never as good as their "spec". Wireless is far worse. Powerline is in between, and certainly better than wireless for the same distance.
6./ Powerline can reach where other methods can't (or would be expensive or disruptive to implement)
7./ Thick walls and metal objects spoil wireless connectivity. Separately fused electric circuits spoil powerline connectivity
8./ It is still "wired", and wireless is better for any mobile device. Don't confuse our need and satisfaction with wireless as a reason to reject the usage scenario where powerline would be better
9./ Powerline is faster than consumer internet. Therefore, depending on how powerline is implemented, there is no reason for it to be a "bottleneck"
10./ Powerline is a consumer product. Don't compare it with enterprise or server network topology
11./ Marketing and advertising to "consumers" is always "best case scenario" and never "real life average performance" (Unfortunately)

NAVI_Z

System Name Gamer Rig
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE
Motherboard ASUS M4A78T-E
Cooling Corsair H-50 cpu cooler.Kingston Hyper X ram cooler
Memory Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) XFX HD 5870 XXX Edition
Storage WD Velociraptor 300gig ; SAmsung Spinpoint 250gig
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2494 24 inch full 1080p
Case NZXT TEMPEST AIRFLOW KING
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply Kingwin 800w modular
Software Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
been reading some reviews in general on some powerline networking and all the reviews

show that powerline networking is better than wireless in "some" applications. I.M.H.O.

i'd rather use two or three of these adapters than running lan cable all over the house.

Besides, how much speed do you really need? A PS3 for example only needs 50 or so mbs

of speed for online gaming or for streaming movies from a networked pc. Powerline

networking has both pros and cons. It depends on the application.:) :toast:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
you need to let go of that number(10) to be honest, in your entire argument, you repeatedly promote that [the] adapter is capable of of more than 10mbps, yet you never once mentioned it is not able to hit the advertise 500mbps speed. this sort of zeal almost makes you sound like you work for their marketing team.

allow me to make a better comparison, its like a mass murderer being accused of killing about 30 people, then you, as his lawyer, steps out and say, 'sir you are wrong, he only killed 27 people, so he is innocent.'

I never said it was IMPOSSIBLE to achieve more than 10mbps, I merely put down a subjective number for argument's sake, it could be 15 or 20 on a good day for all I care but you gonna need to link me some reviews that says otherwise. the reviews i've read says it hugely depends on variables such as location, distance, interference, powerline conditions, weather, your neighbor' dog etc. not to mention the possibility of having your next door neighbor accidentally jump into your network if you share the same transformer. most of the times tho, an upstairs/downstairs/basement connection in an 20-30 year old house it is not any better than a good wifi connection. (eg. Cisco routers).

Actually you pretty much did say they weren't capable of more than 10Mbps. In your own words:

show me one review where these gimmick power-line adapter reach anywhere near their advertise speed(and not a measly 10mbps).

If 10Mbps is just a random number you picked out, why don't you do a little research before making a statement that makes it sound like they are only capable of 10Mbps.

that is possibly one of the the worst arguments I've ever seen. you are comparing apples to watermelons.
I have no idea where you get the idea that people would think they would be "tricked" into get gigabit internet speeds when they shop for gigabit routers. clearly i'm talking about LAN speed, not ISP speed. anyone dumb enough to be confused with LAN speed = DSL speed probably deserves getting their money jipped the living shiet out of them. im comparing a wired LAN connection vs power-line LAN connection here. which is a perfectly valid comparison.

however you blatantly ignored my main point in general (which is not limited to just this powerline adapter)- deceitful marketing, why market something it's not? if its only capable of 50mbps, then market is as 50mbps, why multiple that number by 10? why defend it? WHY? YOU WORK FOR THIS COMPANY?!

Yes, you are aruging that someone will think they will get Gigabit LAN speeds because it says Gigabit on the box. Go back and read your own posts why don't you.

Again you said:

uneducated buyers would be completely fooled thinking they could get something close to a gigabit Ethernet connection

The same why they fool people why saying Gigabit router and people think they will get Gigabit internet speeds because the router has gigabit port on it. These are essentially the game devices. They convert a powerline connection into an ethernet connection, just as a router converts an internet connection(DSL/Cable/Satellite) into an ethernet connection.

The same people you think will be "fooled thinking they could get something close to gigabit Ethernet connection" are the same people that will fooled by the gigabit router claim.

These powerline adapters do give a gigabit connection, and the 4 devices connected to the single device will have gigabit connections between eachother, it is only when data is sent over the powerline that the slower speed is shown. And they clearly tell you the speed these devices are capable of.

As for the issues of marketting. Welcome to the world. Gigabit doesn't give you gigabit most of the time, 100Mbps doesn't give you 100Mbps most of the time. 300Mbps Wireless N barely managed 10Mbps often times. Advertised claims, regardless of product, are always just best case scenario in a lab. However, the point is they are capable of 500Mbps, it just isn't likely to happen. They can't market it based on what you are going to get because they don't know that. You might plug it in to outlets in the same room and get 400Mbps+ out of them because the outlets are on the same run of electic lines. Or you could plug it into the outlets in different buildings and get 5Mbps. So should they advertise it based on what the minimum you are going to get, is that better marketting in your opinion? Should they just put on the box 0Mbps Powerline Adapter? Because sometimes it just won't work. What do you purpose they do? Put what they really are capable of, or just randomly pick out a number lower than that that they might run at? Wildly guessing?

Oh and as for the issue of neighbors jumping on your network, it is less likely than with wireless due to the ways these devices work, but you wouldn't know what because you would rather argue about how bad they are instead of actually trying them yourself and getting some real experience.

Last edited: