• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How to build an external 5.25" floppy drive

T

twilyth

As you may have noticed, most new m/b's don't have FDD connectors, so if for some bizarre reason you want to access a pile of old 1.2meg floppies, you're SOL. There is no such thing as an external 5.25" drive. Go ahead, look. They don't exist. The only exception is some funky contraption sold by Apple that requires it's own adapter card.

But since you can still get external 3.5" FDD's that connect via USB, you'd think it would a pretty straight forward swap. You would be wrong.

When you crack open a 3.5" drive, and I do mean crack open since they are welded (sonic welding) shut, you find a weird 26 pin connection going from the USB interface to the drive electronics. And they don't even have the decency to make it a standard pin and socket connection. Oh no, they use a ribbon cable that goes into some sort of pressure connector.

Fortunately, there is an adapter which I assume is made for this purpose. If not, please let me know since this is my plan at the moment. Here's a link and a pic.

The guts of the USB interface terminate in a 26 conductor ribbon cable. But what I can't tell from this pic or any other I've been able to find is if the smaller connector takes a ribbon cable. It looks like it doesn't since it has a socket for accepting pins, but I don't know.

In the worst case though, I have no problem wiping out the soldering iron. What I'm interested in are opinions as to the best way to go about this. thanks.

T

twilyth

OK, I need some help here. Below are pix first of the USB interface and then the header on the controller board for the floppy. The ribbon cable on the interface goes into the header. The cable is single row, not double row and the header is the press-in kind but with the addition of a gate that you press down to lock the cable in place.

I can't find any connectors like that online mainly because I don't know what it's called. I've found connectors that are purely press-in, friction type with no locking latch. And even those don't seem to go by any standard name that I've been able to find.

Does anyone know what I should be looking for here?

I think what I need is a connector that has the press-in type connector on one side going to a double row of 26 pins (13 x 13). If I find that, I can plug that into the 26 pin female connector on the adapter shown in my first post.

Thanks.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I don't know what they're called either, but I think i've seen them in older laptops and such.

System Name Dell Vostro 5630 | PHaS3-XXI
Processor Intel Core i7 1360P | AMD Ryzen 7 5700X PBO
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming
Cooling Corsair H105 (AM4 Retention yay!)
Memory 16GB Quad Channel LPDDR5 4800 | Crucial 64GB DDR4 Pro 3200 C16
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX 2050 | Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 Stock Cooler @ XT BIOS
Storage Kioxia 512GB NVMe |Crucial MX200 SSD + Samsung 980 1TB + 870QVO 1TB + 12TB HDDs
Display(s) Dell Laptop Display 1920x1200 | Dell UltraSharp U2719D
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403 | Logitech G Pro
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores @_@
Pretty sure its called a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) Ribbon or something similar. Not sure where you can get a connector for it though...

T

twilyth

Pretty sure its called a ZIF (Zero Insertion Force) Ribbon or something similar. Not sure where you can get a connector for it though...

As far as I can tell, it looks like they're called FFC/FPC ZIF/LIF connectors. FFC = flat flexible cable. FPC = flexible printed circuit. LIF = low insertion force.

Here is a good pdf that gives you the background behind these cables and connectors - http://www.avx.com/docs/catalogs/ffchist.pdf

I ordered an adapter today which is like the one below, but that one seems to be a better design. Plus it clearly has an FFC connector for the ribbon cable coming off of the USB interface. I think the one I ordered did, but I'm not sure.

FYI, sometimes less is more. I've been searching for several hours total. Finally tonight I decide to just put "floppy adapter" into google and bam, good hits on the first page. I can't believe that I forgot this basic rule of searching yet again.

System Name Dell m6600
Processor i5 2520
Memory 16gb
Video Card(s) ATI 6970m
Storage 128gb agility 3
Power Supply 240w
Software win 7 pro
Wouldn't it be cheaper/faster to build a desktop with free/cheap parts and put everything on a USB flash drive?

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
Wouldn't it be cheaper/faster to build a desktop with free/cheap parts and put everything on a USB flash drive?

not really. plus then you'd need to use an old cheap computer.

T

twilyth

I've had to go that route for getting stuff off of old Travan 4 and 5 archive tapes. But then I found a way to access the tapes using VMPlayer and accessing an IDE tape controller as a SCSI device in the VM. This was much, much better than having an extra rig lying around.

Plus, as I've been researching this and bouncing around the web, I've found that there are quite a few people who are interested in something like this. So if/when I'm able to build this, I can lay out clear instructions with sources for parts so that anyone can grab a cheap usb 3.5" floppy and for an additonal $30-50, depending on how ghetto they're willing to go (i.e., with or without an external case) can convert that plus a 5.25" floppy into an external, USB based drive.

T

twilyth

Well, the vendor (CWC group) sent me the wrong part. It looks like it's an IDE adapter for a CD ROM rather than a floppy adapter. Now I have to hope they don't give me a hard time about sending me the correct part and it will probably be at least another week until I get it. Fuuuuuuuuu...... :cry: :confused: :shadedshu :mad:

Processor AMD Phenom II 555BE unlocked X4 @3.8GHz
Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Cooling Thermaltake Blue Orb + open case in cold room = low temps lol
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Storage 64GB SSD Super Talent
Display(s) 22" Chimei, 17" Philips
Case POS!
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W
Intriguing. Reminds me of the problems I had with getting my Sega keyboard converted to PS/2, fiddling around with ribbon cables and adapters to floppy cables (see link in sig if interested)

Don't think I'll be much help here but I'll keep an eye on proceedings. Good luck, and by all means break out the soldering iron! More fun that way.

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
Have fun finding the drivers for this. No motherboard after 1998 will support 5.25" disk drives. At least the operating systems don't. I have personally used a 5.25" disk drive to flash bios, however, Win XP, 2000, 7, don't work with floppies. They will recognize they went in the drive, but will not write or read.

T

twilyth

This will be USB based and I've had no problems reading and writing to a USB floppy in W7

PVTCaboose1337

Graphical Hacker
System Name Whim
Processor Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V LX
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, WD 2TB Black
Display(s) Shimian QH270 (1440p), Asus VE228 (1080p)
Case Cooler Master 430 Elite
Audio Device(s) Onboard > PA2V2 Amp > Senn 595's
Power Supply Corsair 750w
Software Windows 8.1 (Tweaked)
A 3.5" floppy? Sure. Drivers are still working for those. For 5.25" I would love to have a working one again, but it seems not to be possible. I need more software for my 5150!

T

twilyth

A 3.5" floppy? Sure. Drivers are still working for those. For 5.25" I would love to have a working one again, but it seems not to be possible. I need more software for my 5150!
It doesn't matter. The drivers are for the USB device not the floppy. Low-level addressability should be handled by the onboard electronics, not the host OS.

Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Case POS!
That's what I thought. But then what makes you sure the USB interface will talk to the 5.25" drive?

T

twilyth

That's what I thought. But then what makes you sure the USB interface will talk to the 5.25" drive?

It should be able to talk to any device that uses the same protocols. For example, I hooked up an IDE tape drive to a USB interface made for an IDE HDD and it worked fine since it was also an IDE device.

The 5.25" uses the same protocols as the 3.5". If anything, it is probably a subset since the 5.25" was a much earlier version of the same kind of device. It's also the exact same cable - once I convert it from 26 pin to 34 pin. But that's not an issue either if you look at the pin-out diagrams - http://www.martinruss.com/sy99adapter.html

Now if I were trying to hook a floppy up to a USB interface for an IDE drive, that would be something else entirely.

Motherboard GA-78LMT-S2P
Memory 8Gb DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) GTX580
Case POS!
oh sweet. You have been digging up some obscure web pages!

T

twilyth

Thanks. There's not a lot of stuff out there anymore on 5.25 floppies. Which makes sense since they were being phased out when the internet was still a baby. Although anything on 3.5" would also apply to 5.25 as far as pin-outs.

Anyway, I got the new part yesterday. CWC Group was very prompt about resolving the issue and got the new part out to me in a couple of days. For anyone who wants to try this at home, the part you want is the Intel 26 Pin to 34 Pin Converter, P/N: C74972-202

This will re-route the pins from the 26 conductor connector to the proper pins on the 34 pin connector. It also provides an power source since the 26 conductor connection has a 5v line built-in but the 34 pin does not.

edit: I think the power connector also provides the grounding point for the 34 pin connector.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

twilyth

After getting the wrong part twice from one vendor, I decided to get a somewhat different solution from another - Alan Computech

I liked the other converter better since it rewired the pins in the PCB. This one does it the old fashioned way of re-routing the individuals strands of the ribbon cable. But whatever. Same thing really.

My problem now is the fact that the drive I have to test with requires a card-edge or slot connector. Those are seriously old school and trying to find anything exotic is basically impossible. I'm trying to think of a work around for that. I have old cables with that type of connector but then the problem is mating one to the assembly above. IDK. I'm going to have to give this some thought. Suggestions are always appreciated. :toast:

comtech

Connecting 5.25" Floppy Drive to Laptop USB

Have appreciated reading threads below. I have Teac FD-55GFR 5.25" Floppy Drive 1.2M which I am trying to connect to laptop in some way. It seems to have a 'ribbon thread' connector, maybe similar to the below; I count 17 copper strips in this connector, so if it is assumed that both sides need to be counted (17 x 2 = 34), this may be the 34 pin ribbon connector discussed below. Photos are attached.

Has anyone found a way, or know of a way, to get this 5.25" floppy connected to a laptop with USB or 25 pin connector?

Comtech

Attachments

• IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 1,852
  • IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0316.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1,431

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
There is no such thing as an external 5.25" drive. Go ahead, look. They don't exist.

Maybe not now, but to be pedantic they certainly did: I had one in 1985. :D It was housed in a beige case and had a 12v/5v power connector and the ribbon cable going to it. Zippy thing it was, too. I had it connected to a BBC Master 128 (that's 128 kilobytes, lol).

I wrote a floppy duplicator program on that computer that used all the RAM. It took six swaps to do it!

It's been like four years, but I had once seen a 3.5+5.25 external floppy USB drive in the retail chains for a short time. Just can't remember the brand or who made it. This way, you would only need one USB and the drive can read/write to either floppy.

ValuedClient

Great Idea, I'll build one

I've followed your work and think you really got a great idea. I joined this forum just to ask a question. Do you have yours working? Thanks and keep thinking outside the box.

T

twilyth

It's still on the back burner I'm afraid. I keep putting it off because I can't think of any other solution that soldering leads from the ribbon cable directly to card edge connector.

lparsons

twilyth said:
It's still on the back burner I'm afraid. I keep putting it off because I can't think of any other solution that soldering leads from the ribbon cable directly to card edge connector.

I was directed to this thread from a discussion elsewhere, and thought I'd add in my thoughts as I am trying for something similar. I thank you in advance for the work you've already done towards this.

First off, I may have an edge -> 34pin MFM adapter. They were fairly common back in the day and might not be terribly hard to find if you poke around a bit. I think there was a time when they were given away at no cost with motherboards.

Second, have you looked at the TEAC (there were probably other vendors as well) combo drives? 5.25 and 3.5 in the same drive; by my understanding they used only one cable connector which was the same as a 3.5 floppy drive; they essentially had internal circuitry to connect the two drives to each other. I'm in the process of picking one up and will start my project with it. Apparently you can jumper them to put either the 5.25 or 3.5 inch drive as the first drive.

Third, do you remember the manufacturer of the USB floppy that you dissected? I figure older drives are better donors for parts for this, and am just starting to look for a drive for that purpose. I happen to have a USB CDROM enclosure, so I have the power requirement met through that. I just need the important bits to adapt the floppy to USB.

thanks again!