• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX Sets Guinness Record for Clock Speed

cadaveca

My name is Dave
But, no arguing. Because I realized (havnt loged on in couple months) there is just talk bash talk of bulldozer vs i72xxx k's.

It's more that you took it personal. Rant and rave about whatever PRODUCT you like, leave people and their opinions out of it. you even stated you understand why people are posting that they don't particularily care..it's not that they don't care about Bulldozer, it's that people want PERFORMANCE metrics, so they can relate what they see to their own personal uses.

We do have a verified AMD rep here, so I am fairly confident those opinions were stated so that AMD would see it. I mean, this event proly cost a pretty penny..potentially money that could ahve been spent better elsewhere.

I think it's cool, but am very upset it didn't happen to coincide with launch. The fact it's ES, too, has me raise a few questions, as we know that early samples didn't exactly function correctly...nor will the same chips be out in the "wild".

But, Guinness did verify it, it seems, so it's all good, just poorly executed. I've called myself ATI's #1 fanboy for years, and now, ATi no longer exists, but AMD does.

In the end, as someone said, nearly every site is talking about htis, so it's as effective as AMD wanted it to be...we're talking MORE about Bulldozer!

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
Yep with all this talk and nothing but a supper over clock not much there really .

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
With all this "I want real world benchmarks so badly QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ"

"QQQQQQQQQ"

People are bashing because they dont have patience.

Of all the processors AMD has released, do you think this processor is going to be an absolute fail.

If you answer yes, im confused.

I think bulldozer might just rip a new asshole beyond any of your speculations. Just because.

"flame baby flame" "flame baby ffflllaaaammmeee"

I see your point, but everybody here has bitched about wanting performance numbers for a long time, myself included. How long is it going to take people to realize that we won't get any until AMD decides to give us some? And when will people quit crapping on threads with points we've all heard, and made, a million times?

+1,000,000,000,000. And thats what my first flame post was for, because after reading the entire thread, that's what it was. Even quoted what sounded like blatant fact posting and hard headed flame bate.

But hey Everybody's opinion counts (heavy heavy irony)

Last edited:
System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
It's more that you took it personal. Rant and rave about whatever PRODUCT you like, leave people and their opinions out of it. you even stated you understand why people are posting that they don't particularily care..it's not that they don't care about Bulldozer, it's that people want PERFORMANCE metrics, so they can relate what they see to their own personal uses.

We do have a verified AMD rep here, so I am fairly confident those opinions were stated so that AMD would see it. I mean, this event proly cost a pretty penny..potentially money that could ahve been spent better elsewhere.

I think it's cool, but am very upset it didn't happen to coincide with launch. The fact it's ES, too, has me raise a few questions, as we know that early samples didn't exactly function correctly...nor will the same chips be out in the "wild".

But, Guinness did verify it, it seems, so it's all good, just poorly executed. I've called myself ATI's #1 fanboy for years, and now, ATi no longer exists, but AMD does.

In the end, as someone said, nearly every site is talking about htis, so it's as effective as AMD wanted it to be...we're talking MORE about Bulldozer!

I see your point, but everybody here has bitched about wanting performance numbers for a long time, myself included. How long is it going to take people to realize that we won't get any until AMD decides to give us some? And when will people quit crapping on threads with points we've all heard, and made, a million times?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I dunno. I think some may be disappointed, no matter what happens. Me, I'm gonna buy regardless, and this "event" didn't affect that decision one bit.

What I find really interesting is how people cannot just accept other's opinions without having to knock them as being wrong, when really, it's a bit foolish to think that way.

Perhaps, if AMD actually confirmed a release date, people would stop being so impatient. there's nobody to blame here for that but AMD themselves, given the mixed messages they have been giving the last year or so.

So, great, they can set a Guinness record, but not set a public release date?

Am i impatient?

YES!!! I wanted to be reviewing AM3+ boards, but refuse to do so with phenom-based chip, as I do not feel using such a chip will give an accurate representation of the AM3+ socket based on how my reviews are done.

You all are asking me to review AM3+ boards...ain't gonna happen until bulldozer is out. I'm dealing with the impatience, too. ;)

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
That phrase needs to be banned from the internet. Everyone's heard it, it serves no purpose, it's not even close to being humorous anymore. Please, get new material or better yet, stick to the topic.

Can you run Crysis?

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Celeron. Intel Celeron family is a line of budget x86 processors based on Pentium designs. Thanks for telling me what I already new. It was made budget, features disabled, disabled cache.

I don't think they were trying to break any records with a celeron when it comes to clock vs clock ratio performance. They were promoting mobile versions also, but calling out a Celeron for its terrible competition against clock for clock vs AMD's 939 brethren is hilariousness. I can understand completely about the 939 Low budget processors for more performance per clock but at same estimated market values.

I understand when everybody says its irrelevant that fx bulldozer overclocked to 8.43Ghz, and its epicly ironically obvious no one's gonna be throwing liquid hydrogen on the CPU's 24/7 so ..

We all know that Bulldozer is going to perform decent, and its not going to be overpriced, and probably be a cheaper platform overall. But many people can argue, find deals, and speculate.

The threads title is about a Guinness Record clock speed, on how they achieved a record clock awesome, :rockout:. I did flame slightly because all I read in this thread was more speculation, free post about Ironic irrelevance about the clock speed, and 30% cheered on the OC feat itself. It is everybody's viable opinion to post what you want, but its just the plane statements about bulldozer and its worth as mostly bad compared to Intel Competetion. Where did Intel and Speculation come out of no where.

But, no arguing. Because I realized (havnt loged on in couple months) there is just talk bash talk of bulldozer vs i72xxx k's.

Again, people think this record is irrelevent because they know clock speed is irrelevent. Why hasn't that record been broken since the days of Netburst? Because no one has cared to do it, because performance records are important not clock speed records.

If you want to break some records, do it on records that the world actually cares about. Break a PCMark record, break a SuperPi record, break a GFLOP record, break a 3DMark CPU score record. Break a record that actually matters.

What scares me is that when Intel was behind, the started touting clock speed and breaking speed records. Now AMD is doing it, that is not a good sign for them IMO.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Again, people think this record is irrelevent because they know clock speed is irrelevent. Why hasn't that record been broken since the days of Netburst? Because no one has cared to do it, because performance records are important not clock speed records.

If you want to break some records, do it on records that the world actually cares about. Break a PCMark record, break a SuperPi record, break a GFLOP record, break a 3DMark CPU score record. Break a record that actually matters.

What scares me is that when Intel was behind, the started touting clock speed and breaking speed records. Now AMD is doing it, that is not a good sign for them IMO.

Yeah but AMD has been behind for so long I dont think its the same thing. Intel was more a knee jerk reaction IMO. Could be wrong.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!

Nobody gives a shit about SuperPi. I would like it to break some of those other records though.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
Lulz.. Nobody gives a hoot about ANY of those outside of benchers, which this place obviously has few people that understand what its about (information gathers via ad nauseum vomiting of 'fluff', and needs to be stable, and who cares it just broke a record that has stood on an architecture several years old). :p

Can someone just restrict my access to the Classies and news please? (joke)

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
Wow never seen so much news and info that says........ nothing. Total fanboy when it comes to amd gpus but man this bull...dozer thing starting to rub me the wrong way:banghead:

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
SuperPi can be a good indicator of single threaded performance. Plus, it's simple and quick to use. WPrime? Okay, it is multi threaded, however the CPU with the better single thread performance will still come out on top.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
SuperPi can be a good indicator of single threaded performance. Plus, it's simple and quick to use. WPrime? Okay, it is multi threaded, however the CPU with the better single thread performance will still come out on top.

Its no more important than max clockspeed is if we are going to question the ability of these chips with no reason. AMD has never done well with superpi and would be a stupid benchmark to show any form of initial AMD performance. It hasn't been a useful program since netburst days. The only way to show a good performance review is to do a full review. This isn't this is a good job AMD for setting a new WR. Its a good PR push for this product release.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
All we have is some BD chip over clocked to insane speed . Great job . How about some real news about you crap now AMD !

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
With all this "I want real world benchmarks so badly QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQ"

"QQQQQQQQQ"

People are bashing because they dont have patience.

Of all the processors AMD has released, do you think this processor is going to be an absolute fail.

If you answer yes, im confused.

I think bulldozer might just rip a new asshole beyond any of your speculations. Just because.

"flame baby flame" "flame baby ffflllaaaammmeee"

Do GTFO plz

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
And I have a gold plated toilet I really do but I can't be bothered to prove it, if your willing to believe spin go for but no proof = untrue.

I believe I have been pretty clear, some proof would be a step in the right direction. No CPU-Z validation, no benchmarks nothing, j
ust some random dude saying he clocked an engi sample. .. very trust worthy source.​
:shadedshu

If you don't understand that if you can't prove it, then it's not true I don't know what to say to you. I'm saying it's fud no matter who says it unless they have proof to back it up which they do NOT! Like AMD would admit anything negative, of course they will promise the moon, it's what they deliver that matters, and as of this moments they haven't even given a release date, only FUD!:nutkick:

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/search/

I can't find any relevant Guinness World Record that AMD has beaten.

And if I google I can find faster "processors".

So do they mean "the fastest overclocked x86 architecture"? And do they INTEND to make this a "Guinness world record" thing? Because there isn't one out there to beat! Amazing how "PR" goes viral.

No-one said it was a lie, they said it was irrelevant. Learn reading comprehension.

I'll get right on that boss.;)

System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Can we lock this thread already ? We have had 7 pages of AMD trolls QQ'ing, and flaming people, for not having the same opinion as them.:nutkick:

/thread

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Can we lock this thread already ? We have had 7 pages of AMD trolls QQ'ing, and flaming people, for not having the same opinion as them.:nutkick:

/thread

But this is news :slap: :laugh:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
I have read some good posts, and some others where people just flame on AMD for doing something. Now we know something.

1) We know it has higher IPC
2) We know it has more cores.
3) We know it clocks like a mother.

Beyond all that there was flaming, accusing AMD of lying, accusing chew* of being a faker, and general asshattery.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I have read some good posts, and some others where people just flame on AMD for doing something. Now we know something.

Beyond all that there was flaming, accusing AMD of lying, accusing chew* of being a faker, and general asshattery.

Yes we some thing this is for sure . But more Fluff than any thing really . ;)

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Yes we some thing this is for sure . But more Fluff than any thing really . ;)

If you can't understand that a 8 core, with a 15-20% IPC improvement, and 1Ghz boost in speed compared to current offerings is a better deal for the majority of users than the Intel priced equivillant....... I dunno what to tell you, other than perhaps this isnt the thread you are looking for.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
If you can't understand that a 8 core, with a 15-20% IPC improvement, and 1Ghz boost in speed compared to current offerings is a better deal for the majority of users than the Intel priced equivillant....... I dunno what to tell you, other than perhaps this isnt the thread you are looking for.

Oh no don't get me wrong I can see all this and it is great . I just haven't seen any thing concrete as of yet . It may blow Intel away but this is all just pure speculation right now and I want more than that . I am getting nervous waiting for news to trickle out of AMD . It some times is just annoying .

System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none

According to you

1) saying meh is flaming
2) being unimpressed is bashing
3) pointing out there was no CPU-Z validation and saying your taking the 5ghz on air claim with no proof as hearsay is flaming and calling people a liar

According to me you and many others can't accept others having a view that is not your own. Just let it go, and quit playing the victim.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
According to you

1) saying meh is flaming
2) being unimpressed is bashing
3) pointing out there was no CPU-Z validation and saying your taking the 5ghz on air claim with no proof as hearsay is flaming and calling people a liar

According to me you and many others can't accept others having a view that is not your own. Just let it go, and quit playing the victim.

Yeah I am sorry I am one of them too . :slap: