• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD FX Sets Guinness Record for Clock Speed

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
According to you

1) saying meh is flaming
2) being unimpressed is bashing
3) pointing out there was no CPU-Z validation and saying your taking the 5ghz on air claim with no proof as hearsay is flaming and calling people a liar

According to me you and many others can't accept others having a view that is not your own. Just let it go, and quit playing the victim.

If you want a philosophical discussion on what is truth there is generalnonsense, for the rest of the world in the "know" certain businesses and people are "known" to be truthful, so we take it as such until proven wrong. Casting unbased doubt on their character causes ruffled feathers and can unfortunately cause certain said people to stop sharing their feats.

I also believe there is something about useful posting, and the lack thereof known as flame-baiting, or thread crapping.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
According to you

1) saying meh is flaming
2) being unimpressed is bashing
3) pointing out there was no CPU-Z validation and saying your taking the 5ghz on air claim with no proof as hearsay is flaming and calling people a liar

According to me you and many others can't accept others having a view that is not your own. Just let it go, and quit playing the victim.

Yeah because if they can validate 8ghz there is NO WAY they can do 5ghz! THATS MADNESS! Oh and those Guinness World Record guys are noobs. They never validate anything. :D

If you want a philosophical discussion on what is truth there is generalnonsense, for the rest of the world in the "know" certain businesses and people are "known" to be truthful, so we take it as such until proven wrong. Casting unbased doubt on their character causes ruffled feathers and can unfortunately cause certain said people to stop sharing their feats.

I also believe there is something about useful posting, and the lack thereof known as flame-baiting, or thread crapping.

I don't normally agree with Steevo. But when I do, I agree.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Yeah because if they can validate 8ghz there is NO WAY they can do 5ghz! THATS MADNESS! Oh and those Guinness World Record guys are noobs. They never validate anything. :D

I don't normally agree with Steevo. But when I do, I agree.

To epic to understand, :toast::toast:

Stares at Avatar >.>

trickson

OH, I have such a headache
System Name Ryzen TUF.
Processor AMD Ryzen7 3700X
Motherboard Asus TUF X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua
Memory Gskill RipJaws 3466MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TUF 1650 Super Clocked.
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Audio Device(s) Denon AVR-S750H
Power Supply Corsair TX750
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
Software Windows 10 64 bit Home OEM
I have read some good posts, and some others where people just flame on AMD for doing something. Now we know something.

1) We know it has higher IPC
2) We know it has more cores.
3) We know it clocks like a mother.

Beyond all that there was flaming, accusing AMD of lying, accusing chew* of being a faker, and general asshattery.

Ok lets start this then .
1. Higher IPC + We do not know how this performs in real world applications .
2. More cores , Ok it has 8 cores ( That is a start . ) .
3. It clocks like a mother Trucker . On One core ( or was it 2 cores ) Never the less NOT on ALL 8 cores for sure !
4. Just how is this going to help me in making a logical sensible buy on a product ?
5. They broke the world record . That is awesome ! Great job .

Am I flame baiting or thread crapping ? Or are you being a tad bit too over the top ? I want more information but it just ekks out of AMD . And I think that all the Fluff is not going to make me change my mind about this BD chip . I want more than a world record holding over clock chip .

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
3. It clocks like a mother Trucker . On One core ( or was it 2 cores ) Never the less NOT on ALL 8 cores for sure !
4. Just how is this going to help me in making a logical sensible buy on a product ?

Am I flame baiting or thread crapping ? Or are you being a tad bit too over the top ? I want more information but it just ekks out of AMD . And I think that all the Fluff is not going to make me change my mind about this BD chip . I want more than a world record holding over clock chip .

hey I know exactly what will help you make a logical sensible buy on a product!!!

*epic echo voice* "Patience patience" and a positive attitude.
Best answer I can give.

I want to see bulldozer to, but in the mean time I have work and responsibility's :)

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
hey I know exactly what will help you make a logical sensible buy on a product!!!

*epic echo voice* "Patience patience" and a positive attitude.
Best answer I can give.

I want to see bulldozer to, but in the mean time I have work and responsibility's :)

Yeah I have been patient for some time now . I am getting annoyed at AMD's Fluff fest ! Give me some meat not just the veggies !

System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

1. I think you don't fully understand the meaning of IPC, good read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instructions_per_cycle Good line:
A given level of instructions per second can be achieved with a high IPC and a low clock speed (like the AMD Athlon and Intel Core 2), or from a low IPC and high clock speed (like the Intel Pentium 4).
Higher IPC + high clock translates in high performance
2. It has 4-6-8 cores, don't know why people get hooked on the 8 core and say it sucks for games (I don't mean you).
Brian and Sami mentioned doing 5Ghz on air running fully multi-threaded benchmarks.
So my guess is it does quite well.
4. ...
5. .

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.

1) IPC, Instructions Per Clock. A defacto standard meaning if we compare A to B and both have the same frequency and A is faster or slower than B the resulting difference is a direct result of IPC efficiency. So, if we know that a competitive model has a 30% higher IPC on average than the previous Phenom II, and this has a roughly 15-20% increase in IPC we can guesstimate its clock performance.

2) Yep, 8 cores. Good job on locating that information. :p

3) Yep on two cores, and considering Intel did it with celerons, the lowest of the low dank and dirty chips they make, almost no cache to slow it down, and cherry picking. The equivlilant would be a athlon X2 or a single core under LN. But it is not, their premiere line clocks this high.

4) If you can't figure it out, again, this hardware is not the hardware you are looking for.

5) Exactly the point of the thread!!!!!!!! AMAZING!!!! On topic posting!!!!!!:rockout:

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
I guess I'll just stop reading anything past the initial news post from now on.

Christ.

Edit:

Also, I'll be building a Bulldozer rig because AMD pulled off the most epic troll I have ever seen on TPU.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
If you can't figure it out, again, this hardware is not the hardware you are looking for.

I guess you are right . :toast:

I haven't seen anybody try to explain why the Bulldozer chip was only running 2 cores. Easy! Less cores means higher clocks. They were going for maximum clock speed on any amount of cores, not just a ridiculous overclock on all 8 cores.

I had an i7 860 for a while but it ran too hot to keep on for more than a couple hours in my little hot bedroom. On 2 cores without hyperthreading, it would hit 4.5 GHz with chilled air without a problem. Stock with all 4 cores and HT, it would top out at about 4.1 GHz. Same thing applies to the FX overclock.

If these things are hitting 5+ easy on water, that's definitely nice. Something to look forwards to. Hitting 6 on water in 6 months? that'd be REAL nice even if it's only 5-10% faster per clock than current Phenom II's.

All we know is that it's quicker per clock cycle than Phenom II, has more cores, clocks better and this is all from silicon that isn't even up to par with retail silicon, just an engineering sample...so the clock speeds should get better once it releases, as well as us finally having performance numbers.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)
It was explained in this thread, and in the other thread that was stealth closed and not merged with this one. ;)

WHoever said no proof (Steevo?)...been up since the release.

http://www.hwbot.org/submission/2206528_macci_cpu_frequency_fx_8150_8429.38_mhz

Yeah I have been patient for some time now . I am getting annoyed at AMD's Fluff fest ! Give me some meat not just the veggies !
If I send you $20, can you go buy a thesaurus and look up a different word for fluff? :nutkick: :p

Last edited:

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
If I send you $20, can you go buy a thesaurus and look up a different word for fluff? :nutkick: :p

How about useless bullshit just to get your face out there ? This is like looking at a great stake , You look at it , It looks great it smells great but you can not have a taste so all you have is an empty hole that drools ! When you finally get to taste it it will be stale and unappealing . Why you are all so jacked up on some thing like this is beyond me other than the fact that the AMD fanboy ego got a stroking , All I see smoke and mirrors ! Fluff all over the internet of AMD this AMD that , not interesting to me .

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
How about useless bullshit just to get your face out there ? This is like looking at a great stake , You look at it , It looks great it smells great but you can not have a taste so all you have is an empty hole that drools ! When you finally get to taste it it will be stale and unappealing . Why you are all so jacked up on some thing like this is beyond me other than the fact that the AMD fanboy ego got a stroking , All I see smoke and mirrors ! Fluff all over the internet of AMD this AMD that , not interesting to me .

It must be of some interest to you, you've made more posts in this thread than I have.

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
It must be of some interest to you, you've made more posts in this thread than I have.

Yes you are right . I am done now good luck with your Chip !

System Name Epsilon
Processor A12-9800E 35watts
Motherboard MSI Grenade AM4
Cooling Stock
Memory 2x4GB DDR4 2400 Kingston Hyper X
Video Card(s) Radeon R7 (IGP / APU)
Storage Samsung Spinpoint F1
Display(s) AOC 29" Ultra wide
Case Generic
Power Supply Antec Earthwatts 380w
Software Windows 10
Guys why so much stress on this thread
Its a world record... if you can break it, why not breaking it? its just good news. Intel breaks superpi records and its equally useless because its not a benchmark that represents general performance, but again, if you can break the record, why not?

some people may be unimpressed with this record because bulldozer was delayed so much, and because it doens't mean stability or performance, or a real product you can buy in a shop. But its ok to feel unimpressed. While its perfect to break a record. It depends in each soul out there how to take this news.

I mean, a guy could drive his testarrossa, and I wouldn't be impressed because I'm just not into cars.

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
I would have liked to see some results from the 5GHz benching they did but nooooooooo all we get is a whopping great 2 of 8 core suicide run OC result mmmmmm big deal doesn't mean squat to me...

notice not much was said at all about how it did at 5+GHz no temps no results from benchies way to peak interest AMD

trickson

System Name Ryzen TUF.
Cooling Noctua
Storage CB 1T M.2 Drive.
Display(s) 73" Soney 4K.
Case Antech LanAir Pro.
Mouse Optical
Keyboard K120 Logitech
I would have liked to see some results from the 5GHz benching they did but nooooooooo all we get is a whopping great 2 of 8 core suicide run OC result mmmmmm big deal doesn't mean squat to me...

notice not much was said at all about how it did at 5+GHz no temps no results from benchies way to peak interest AMD

LOL ! Another one ! :banghead:

System Name Cumquat 2021
Processor AMD RyZen R7 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus Strix X670E - E Gaming WIFI
Cooling Deep Cool LT720 + CM MasterGel Pro TP + Lian Li Uni Fan V2
Memory 32GB GSkill Trident Z5 Neo 6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ OC RX6800 16GB DDR6 2270Cclk / 2010Mclk
Storage 1x Adata SX8200PRO NVMe 1TB gen3 x4 1X Samsung 980 Pro NVMe Gen 4 x4 1TB, 12TB of HDD Storage
Display(s) AOC 24G2 IPS 144Hz FreeSync Premium 1920x1080p
Case Lian Li O11D XL ROG edition
Audio Device(s) RX6800 via HDMI + Pioneer VSX-531 amp Technics 100W 5.1 Speaker set
Power Supply EVGA 1000W G5 Gold
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core Wired
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless
Software Windows 11 X64 PRO (build 23H2)
Benchmark Scores it sucks even more less now ;)
yeah so what good O they got a WR OC still doesn't mean squat to the majority on here when they said they did multi threaded bench runs at 5+ GHz but fail to show us any of it... That is what we want to see

System Name Main PC
Processor PII 925 x4 @3.724GHz (266x14) 1.525v NB 2660 1.425v
Motherboard Gigabyte AM3 GA-890XA-UD3 (790x+SB850)
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B
Memory Hyperx 8GB (2x4) 1600@1418 8-7-7-20-27-1t
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD
Display(s) LCD Samsung 24" 16:9
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Audio Device(s) On-Board HD
Power Supply CM 750w GX |3.3v@25a|5v@25a|12v@60a
Software Kubuntu dual boot /Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores later...
I look around the web to find the highest overclock speed score for Intel CPU (other than the Celeron score at 8.308) & find one on Youtube Intel 990X at 7.146ghz with all the six (6) cores enable
I guess if they use only 2 cores on the 990X like they did on Bulldozer they may have a good chance of beating the new WR of Bulldozer?

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ioJVxvb3s&feature=related

I can see lots of people busy (on the Intel side) trying to beat the WR , it should prove interesting in the weeks or months to come...:rockout:

EDIT: Found all the highest scores on this link-->http://hwbot.org/benchmark/cpu_frequency/
Looks like Celeron & P4 are/was really good at overclocking....lol!

Last edited:

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
Why all this fussing? The damn thing reached 8.429GHz:toast: I don't care how many cores it was utilizing. That is some fast shit:)

System Name Main PC
Processor PII 925 x4 @3.724GHz (266x14) 1.525v NB 2660 1.425v
Motherboard Gigabyte AM3 GA-890XA-UD3 (790x+SB850)
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B
Memory Hyperx 8GB (2x4) 1600@1418 8-7-7-20-27-1t
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD
Display(s) LCD Samsung 24" 16:9
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Audio Device(s) On-Board HD
Power Supply CM 750w GX |3.3v@25a|5v@25a|12v@60a
Software Kubuntu dual boot /Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores later...
Well now that you don't have to have all cores enable to get the WR...
Maybe all the guys that do heavy overclocking should go back to it & use only one core on the cpu (mostly on AMD side)...

Me think i could probably do 5ghz on air with only 1 core enable , hmmm!... :rolleyes:

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
Well now that you don't have to have all cores enable to get the WR...
Maybe all the guys that do heavy overclocking should go back to it & use only one core on the cpu (mostly on AMD side)...

Me think i could probably do 5ghz on air with only 1 core enable , hmmm!... :rolleyes:

Don't think. Do.