• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

What could have caused this? (PICS) MB DEATH

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
So if anyone payed attention to me in the BF3 Thread my Mother Board decided to crap out on me the day before I would get my key for the Beta...

Luckily since I had some funds saved up for the Asus Crosshair V I've gone ahead and purchased it and should be receiving it tomorrow.

Now I wasn't expecting to find out what went wrong with my MSI Board (Everything looked ok from the front) and was going to RMA it but when I took it out and looked at the back I'm not so sure if I can RMA it anymore.

The Back story is that I left my PC on and when I came home hours later I found it off and not turning on. There was this odd smell in my room but my cousin had also been painting in there so I thought it was still just the paint, probably O3 though.

So is an RMA still good? Worth me paying the shipping to try?

Cause: Was this the result of a short? But From what?

Should I get a new case? ( Was thinking about it anyways but now this pushes me toward getting a new one further more)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 24505

I don't see how it could short, on what? it cant just short itself can it? If it was working fine earlier how can it just short itself. It's very strange but it must have been a fault with the board imo.

It certainly looks like it went kerblam good style though.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Case HAF X
Yeah this is my first encounter of this nature. Never had this happen to me before.

I' shall do some more detective work to see if it was a bug or something.

So would this be covered in warranty for an RMA?

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
There isn't a problem ever with the word "try"... It doesn't seem to be something that could be caused after "time". Seems to be something that happened in an instant.. I say try and see what happens.. I know others will chime in on if there was a issue.

Also, Stacker is a nice aired case.. So, I don't think that it would be a problem.. But, if anything could of "gotten" into the case, it could of done so and I'd probably think about it in getting a new one..

my 2 cents

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
There isn't a problem ever with the word "try"... It doesn't seem to be something that could be caused after "time". Seems to be something that happened in an instant.. I say try and see what happens.. I know others will chime in on if there was a issue.

Also, Stacker is a nice aired case.. So, I don't think that it would be a problem.. But, if anything could of "gotten" into the case, it could of done so and I'd probably think about it in getting a new one..

my 2 cents

So regarding a new case, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks for the input.

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
So regarding a new case, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Thanks for the input.

It's never bad to "try new things"... lol.. Stacker is so.. 2007.. lol

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
It's never bad to "try new things"... lol.. Stacker is so.. 2007.. lol

Well noted lol. I was thinking about getting the Haf X or Antec DF-85 or was it 86...

Decent upgrades?

WarraWarra

That looks like a electrical short "manufacturers defect" right next to what looks like the default motherboard heatsink ?

Liquid shorts usually does not look like this and then will short and shut down not keep on cooking.
There must be something else that failed and pushed too much power to this part without working like it should.

Maybe lightning but likely not as many other things like psu tv etc. would fry as well not just this one area of your mboard.

If MSI is intelligent they would check on this before it becomes a Toyota failing brakes disaster for MSI.

PS> it looks like it arched / micro lightning from the heatsink to the thingy that burned dew to poor grounding or a electrical leak somewhere. Still is a manufacturers defect in design and in parts.

T

twilyth

I've given up on MSI since the Neo LGA755 boards. I had one that cooked itself in a similar manner. Not quite as dramatic, and since I had overclocked it I didn't even try to RMA it. Don't recall the exact location of the problem. IIRC it was in the general vicinity of the cpu socket.

System Name Red Giant
Processor Intel Core i7-12700K
Motherboard MSI Pro Z690
Cooling Corsair H100i elite
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI 4070TI Super
Storage 960 GB Sandisk SSD
Display(s) 27 inch Predator 144 hz 2k
Case CoolerMaster HAF X
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 11 Pro
If you are looking to upgrade your case then you can't go wrong with a HAF-X great space to run cables if they are long enough and it keeps my temperatures very constant with plenty of work room inside even with a massive cpu cooler and 2 large graphics cards :)

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
If you are looking to upgrade your case then you can't go wrong with a HAF-X great space to run cables if they are long enough and it keeps my temperatures very constant with plenty of work room inside even with a massive cpu cooler and 2 large graphics cards :)

I'll probably be picking up the HAF X at Frys before I get my MB from Newegg tomorrow.
I'll take a glance at a few other cases but I've mainly got my eyes on that one.

Night Rider

System Name my first
Processor AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition 3.3Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M4A89TD PRO/USB3
Cooling stock fan
Memory Crucial 8GB DDR3 1333MHz CL9 Kit (2x4GB)
Video Card(s) Integrated ATI Radeon HD 4290 GPU
Storage Western Digital Caviar Black WD7502AAEX 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb
Case CM Storm Enforcer
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series HX850
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
to me it look's like a ground short could it have got knocked over and the back plate bounced
just enough to touch the case panel..just my thought's..and after looking for some time i went with the coolmaster enforcer case i realy like it now that it's done plenty of room..just wish the front door opened the other way..i'll post pic's of it in a few day's..
still need camera..

Processor 2500k
Motherboard Asrock Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16G Corsair Vengence
Video Card(s) XFX 390 DD BE
Storage OCZ Agility3 / F1 1tb
Display(s) Hazro HZ27WC 2560x1440 / x3 BenQ G2222HDL Eyefinity - 5760x1080
Case Fractal Design Define XL
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Edifier RT1600
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 700W
Flynn lives!

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Well noted lol. I was thinking about getting the Haf X or Antec DF-85 or was it 86...

Decent upgrades?

Haf X is the way I'd go out of the two.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
to me it look's like a ground short could it have got knocked over and the back plate bounced
just enough to touch the case panel..just my thought's..and after looking for some time i went with the coolmaster enforcer case i realy like it now that it's done plenty of room..just wish the front door opened the other way..i'll post pic's of it in a few day's..
still need camera..
Maybe... and I'm looking for a full tower actually, thanks though.
Flynn lives!

And lol.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
You most certainly can RMA that board. It looks like a power plain shorted out and did this. How? Flexing caused by heat can do it, coupled by degraded insulation. The PC goes through a thermal cycle each time it goes on and then off and this degrades materials in various ways. Of course, lower quality products will suffer from this significantly more than good ones. Your mobo likely had a manufacturing fault and this was a ticking timebomb waiting to go off.

Or you could have shorted it against the case. :p Just don't tell MSI that. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
RMA. MOSFET blew up. probably becuase the heatsink has a poor design that didn't cover the entire surface. This is the EXACT reason I remove a board's MOSFET heatsink and show the impressions in the the thermal pads in my reviews.

You'll also note that while early P67 and Z68 products had issues with contact to all MOSFETs, and I did mention this fact on EVERY board i got as samples that had the problem, lately, this is NOT an issue, thanks to OEMs using thicker pads, and larger contact plates.

RMA!! RMA!!

I will say, that there is quite a bit of dust buildup there, and probably...probably..that's what caused teh short that made it blow, but whateva. Just my own opinion. Still RMA and let the OEM decide who is at fault.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I will say, that there is quite a bit of dust buildup there, and probably...probably..that's what caused teh short that made it blow, but whateva. Just my own opinion. Still RMA and let the OEM decide who is at fault.

That dust caused a short? I'm not so sure. It's not that much.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
That dust caused a short? I'm not so sure. It's not that much.

Yes/No. Depends on the type of dust.

look here:
dust.jpg

See how far OUTWARDS that dust has built up? you cannot say that is not a lot. It is a fair amount, far more than I would let my own PC get.

;)

I dunno. I play guitar, have quite a few Gibson guitars that cost far more than all the pc stuff I have in my house, and some that cost the same, and some that were far less. They ALL, no matter the cost, require care and maintenance to stay in good shape, and to function properly as the tools that they are. Likewise, I consider my PC a tool, and likewise, it deserves regular care as well. That there dust...man, I dunno that's OK...for the 15 seconds required to take a can of air and vacuum to clean out a case, it's totally worth it, at least once a month, no matter WHAT enviroment your home is.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
Yeah I'm usually good about taking care of my Rig. I must have missed that spot :p

Every time I get a new part though I clean everything thoroughly and this time since I've had my case for so long I'm going to get a new home for my new Board, likely the HAF X.

I also take the time to clean my PC about once a month if not once every two months.

So is an RMA still good? Worth me paying the shipping to try?

Cause: Was this the result of a short? But From what?

Should I get a new case? ( Was thinking about it anyways but now this pushes me toward getting a new one further more)

There is no definitive answer to your question. Paint pulled into the computer (IE volatolized hydrocarbon) could well have shorted the board. The more likely solution is that your board had a pregnant trace.

"What is a pregnant trace?" you ask. Whenever the motherboard is having the traces masking burned into it, via a light hardening epoxy, imperfections can cause traces to be thin or thick. Thin traces are generally impossible to detect, as they will not have an immediate impact on the board unless they are very thin. Over time, the heating and cooling cycles will make the traces on the board slightly more brittle. This generally has no noticeable influence, but a thin trace experiences a much higher amount of force during the heating/cooling cycle.

Eventually, the thin trace develops into a huge resistance, creating a point of intense heat dissipation until the metal (rather violently and unexpectedly) explodes. This creates singeing, bubbles in the motherboard pcb layers, and will generally screw up your day. This is what I can observe from your motherboard pictures, and the description of the odd burning smell.

The good news is that this kind of issue is covered in a manufacturers warranty. As long as you did not overvoltage the motherboard, or the VRM circuitry is entirely fried beyond discerning the root cause, you're golden. Go ahead with the RMA!

Edit: The RMA is viable no matter if there was overheating or a pregnant trace. Without knowing more about the board, and only seeing a destroyed segment, there is no reasonable way to tell exactly what caused this.

T

twilyth

look here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43761&stc=1&d=1317265921

See how far OUTWARDS that dust has built up? you cannot say that is not a lot. It is a fair amount, far more than I would let my own PC get.

;)

I'm sure you're correct but I just want to say that I have dust bunnies in my 4 rigs that are big enough to scare small children. The only thing I ever even look at is the heat sink, and even then, I usually prefer to cut back on the overclock so I don't have to worry about ambients and running right on the edge of stability.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

look here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43761&stc=1&d=1317265921

;)

I dunno. I play guitar, have quite a few Gibson guitars that cost far more than all the pc stuff I have in my house, and some that cost the same, and some that were far less. They ALL, no matter the cost, require care and maintenance to stay in good shape, and to function properly as the tools that they are. Likewise, I consider my PC a tool, and likewise, it deserves regular care as well. That there dust...man, I dunno that's OK...for the 15 seconds required to take a can of air and vacuum to clean out a case, it's totally worth it, at least once a month, no matter WHAT enviroment your home is.

It is probably worth it yeah, but I have actualy never seen dust short out something and I've fixed some BAD computers. Maybe that dust that was 50% smoke, 20% beer and 30% actual dust shorted something, but otherwise the danger is not very dangerous at all.

System Name Unknown
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Case HAF X
I did overclock and overvolt but nothing to crazy and my PC was stable...

I do live in Texas so it gets hot and I had my PC running practically 24/7 for Bitcoin generation (GPU) not CPU.

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Where's that one undercover MSI rep that was arguing with sneekypeet in the Gigabyte-PCIE 3.0 fiasco thread? We should get him in here and answer some questions.

You're likely in for a ride with MSI and the RMA process. They're going to deny this as a manufacturing fault to every extent.