• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Emerges Victorious Against Psystar, But Have They Really Triumphed? (UPDATED)

Is Mac for you?

• I'm happy with Windows

Votes: 67 91.8%
  • Apple has great notebooks

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • I want a Mac but I'm poor

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I'm a Mac user

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Processor Intel Core i7-4820K Ivy Bridge-E
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4
Cooling Thermaltake Extreme 2.0
Memory G.SKILL 8x4GB RAM
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA Geforce GTX 770 Superclocked
Storage (2) OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, (2) Western Digital Black 1TB
Display(s) Dell U3014 Ultrasharp Monitor
Case Cooler Master Cosmos 2
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Software Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Operating System
Re: Apple Sucks!!!!

That's why I never ever bought Apple in my lifetime. I F-CkIn HATE APPLE!!!!!!!!!

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Stop with the hating.

Let there be Apple Macs. Let there be Armani Jeans. Let there be choice. Let there be freedoms to choose what you want.

IMO Macs are great. Blxxdy brilliant. They have brought people and generations to the internet and email that would never have made it past a CTRL+DEL sequence. They have their place, they have a role to play.

But Macs are NOT FOR ME. ;)

Except for one thing. Apple brings 2560x1440 and IPS to the masses. The PC Goliath has FAILED to do that. Apple 1, PC 0.

System Name White Boy
Processor Core i7 3770k @4.6 Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB @ 2177
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 680 CLASSIEFIED @ 1250 Core
Storage 2 Samsung 830 256 GB (Raid 0) 1 Hitachi 4 TB
Display(s) 1 Dell 30U11 30"
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Power Supply SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W Modular
Software Windows Pro 7 64 bit || Ubuntu 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 2017 Unigine Heaven :: P37239 3D Mark Vantage
Poll needs option "Linux is better and cheaper".

I really don't see how they can make the case that products they sell on the open market belong to them after purchase. What Psystar should have done is sell the computers minus an OS, and sell people a copy of the OS or point them to apple. I really fail to see how apple could stop a company from making a product, fark apple and their gangster legal tactics.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Stop with the hating.

Let there be Apple Macs. Let there be Armani Jeans. Let there be choice. Let there be freedoms to choose what you want.

IMO Macs are great. Blxxdy brilliant. They have brought people and generations to the internet and email that would never have made it past a CTRL+DEL sequence. They have their place, they have a role to play.

But Macs are NOT FOR ME. ;)

Except for one thing. Apple brings 2560x1440 and IPS to the masses. The PC Goliath has FAILED to do that. Apple 1, PC 0.
+1 I despise their control freakery business practices and will never buy one of their products, but I don't shout hate messages and attack people who like or have Macs (ok, Mac owners are sad! lol). This only inspires flames and trolling.

I found a forum a while back, dedicated to the one task of slagging off Apple. Thread after thread of nothing but hate. Shit, I've got better things to do in my life than increase my blood pressure with impotent rants like that.

System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
+1 I despise their control freakery business practices and will never buy one of their products, but I don't shout hate messages and attack people who like or have Macs (ok, Mac owners are sad! lol). This only inspires flames and trolling.

I found a forum a while back, dedicated to the one task of slagging off Apple. Thread after thread of nothing but hate. Shit, I've got better things to do in my life than increase my blood pressure with impotent rants like that.

I agree apple has their place, if I had the money I would quite possibly buy a mac book air and put BT5 on it, but I don't have $1,750 to spend on what is essentially an over priced slightly higher powered netbook. That said there are those who do, I have a box that runs OS X (lion), but I never boot into it, as Linux does all the same things and is free, and supports ARM.

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
That's why I never ever bought Apple in my lifetime. I F-CkIn HATE APPLE!!!!!!!!!

Apple protects their OS. They should be sentenced to death! Logical.

Let me start by saying I do not like Apple in general. I don't hate them, but I dislike them.

I feel some of you are being unfair to Apple. Recently, Apple has become better in prices, and their computers range from not over priced to mildly/moderately overpriced. If you try to compare Mac computers to a Windows computer, don't compare whales to monster trucks (ie: 2 completely different things).

1Kurgan1, I respect you, but your comparison was flawed and unfair. If you wanted to have a 1080p screen and an SFF desktop, why would you compare a PREBUILT All-in-one 27" IPS 2560x1440 with a CUSTOM BUILT SFF desktop with 1080p screen? Doesn't make sense. If you compare Apple's computer to other PREBUILT computers, then Apple has somewhat of a higher standard and a more controlled environment, whilst keeping the prices not too far from the competition. Note also that Apple has niche products like the iMac 27", and yes it looks expensive, but not only is it an AWESOME screen, it is All-in-One and prebuilt. The performance is OK/good compared to other All-in-ones. If you want an awesome screen, that iMac already looks like an OK buy, if you want it pre-built or All-in-one, then it is a GOOD buy, if you want it stylish as well, then it is a GREAT buy. Just because it isn't made for you, doesn't mean it sucks and is overpriced!

I don't get how you can even THINK of blaming Apple for this. A company sells their own computers, and makes an OS just for their computers. This OS is popular and a major reason why their computers sell well. They obviously intended the Apple OS to stay on the computers that are their's and for which the OS was designed for. Another company is enabling people to use this OS on their computers and are making a profit off of Apple's OS, simultaneously making Apple lose sells. What? Is Apple supposed to give them all their money and bow down to them?

Please, if you hate Apple, that's OK I understand, but do so for the right reason, don't just blame shit on them for no reason.

EDIT: lol slow at typing other "Don't hate" posts have come before me :p
TL;DR version: Stop the non-logical hate. If you want to argue about Apple being inferior, do so in the right manner. Stop blaming the for Global warming!

System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Apple protects their OS. They should be sentenced to death! Logical.

I don't get how you can even THINK of blaming Apple for this. A company sells their own computers, and makes an OS just for their computers. This OS is popular and a major reason why their computers sell well. They obviously intended the Apple OS to stay on the computers that are their's and for which the OS was designed for. Another company is enabling people to use this OS on their computers and are making a profit off of Apple's OS, simultaneously making Apple lose sells. What? Is Apple supposed to give them all their money and bow down to them?

Please, if you hate Apple, that's OK I understand, but do so for the right reason, don't just blame shit on them for no reason.

EDIT: lol slow at typing other "Don't hate" posts have come before me :p
TL;DR version: Stop the non-logical hate. If you want to argue about Apple being inferior, do so in the right manner. Stop blaming the for Global warming!

When a company sells a product to the public they loose the right to dictate who can and can't use it. I can walk into fry's and purchase a copy of their OS, but according to apple I have no right to install it on a machine that is not an apple, well try and stop me. It's mine I bought it therefore I have the right to do with it what I wish. People are upset because Apple was allowed to shut down a company that was competition to them, which is INSANE You can't compete because of your own price fixing, so you get a company shut down . . . that's totally fair in every way . . .:shadedshu

As I said before if they had just begun selling machines minus an OS then Apple wouldn't have had any legal recourse. What apple would have likely have done is stopped selling retail copy's of the OS, and then the company would have no choice but to fold. But I doubt even that would have made apple happy. Apple seems to only be happy with victories achieved through shady legal means and horrible business practices.

Memory G.SKILL 8x4GB RAM
Re: Apple is scared and jealous!!!

When a company sells a product to the public they loose the right to dictate who can and can't use it. I can walk into fry's and purchase a copy of their OS, but according to apple I have no right to install it on a machine that is not an apple, well try and stop me. It's mine I bought it therefore I have the right to do with it what I wish. People are upset because Apple was allowed to shut down a company that was competition to them, which is INSANE You can't compete because of your own price fixing, so you get a company shut down . . . that's totally fair in every way . . .:shadedshu

As I said before if they had just begun selling machines minus an OS then Apple wouldn't have had any legal recourse. What apple would have likely have done is stopped selling retail copy's of the OS, and then the company would have no choice but to fold. But I doubt even that would have made apple happy. Apple seems to only be happy with victories achieved through shady legal means and horrible business practices.

I agree with you totally!!!!

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)

I understand where you are coming from, and thanks for the explanation...

However, they sell the OS just so that Mac users can upgrade if they'd like. If they would not be selling their OS, your argument wouldn't matter anymore.

Thing is you guys compare it to the only other OS for sale, which is Windows. Just because Microsoft does something this way, doesn't mean Apple has to do it Microsoft's way!

Perhaps a more tech related example will help illustrate my point. You have MSDN. Do you think it is right for you to be giving all the Windows licences that you don't use? If I have MSDN and my Uncle's business or my friend's friend or wtv needs a Windows key, I would not give it to them, as Microsoft says I can't. MSDN was made for personal use, OS X was made for use on Apple computers.

Just because you have something doesn't give you the right to do whatever with it.

EDIT: Just came up with another example... It's not very good but I'll share it anyways.

If the Sony suddenly makes this awesome OS for their consoles (PS2/PS3), and it brings lots of great features and becomes a great multi-media experience and is much lighter etc, and they decide to sell the OS to the public so they can upgrade if they would like... And people find a way to make it work on a computer or X360. Does it give these people the right to install and use this OS without even owning a Sony console?

Last edited:
System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Does it give these people the right to install and use this OS without even owning a Sony console?

If you purchase it legally yes, it gives you every right to do with it as you wish, the courts have reaffirmed this time and time again, company's can not dictate how you use a product one they sell it to you.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
If you purchase it legally yes, it gives you every right to do with it as you wish, the courts have reaffirmed this time and time again, company's can not dictate how you use a product one they sell it to you.

True, but unfortunately, the operative word here is licenced. With a licence, they can impose all sorts of restrictions on your use, even though you have paid them good money for it. It sucks for sure. :ohwell:

Memory G.SKILL 8x4GB RAM
Re: Sony's OS

If the Sony suddenly makes this awesome OS for their consoles (PS2/PS3), and it brings lots of great features and becomes a great multi-media experience and is much lighter etc, and they decide to sell the OS to the public so they can upgrade if they would like... And people find a way to make it work on a computer or X360. Does it give these people the right to install and use this OS without even owning a Sony console?

The answer is YES!!!!!

System Name Homelabs

As qubit said... You are buying a licence to use it on a Playstation 2 or 3. They are not selling a licence for PC or Xbox 360 so you simply can't. You are not buying the software, you are buying the right to use the software in a specific way. If you wanna buy the rights to do wtv you want with the software, prepare to pay billions.

CyberDruid

System Name Shop Dog
Processor E8400
Motherboard Asus Blitz Formula SE
Cooling d-Tek FuZion
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 G Skill
Video Card(s) EVGA 7900 GTX
Storage 150GB VelociRaptor
Display(s) Acer 21.5 1080p LED Back Lit Monitor
Case Working on it
Audio Device(s) PCI SoundMax
Power Supply Silverstone 750 Modular
Software XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 11.56s 1M at 4050mhz
Apple sells over priced hardware, full stop. They don't want to offer anything actual worth what they charge and that's their business model. Maybe things will change later, but for now apple sells what they sell. And premium doesn't always mean absolute peak performance, the software, design, aesthetics, and so forth are all part of the equation.

There. I fixed it for you.:banghead:

System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
True, but unfortunately, the operative word here is licenced. With a licence, they can impose all sorts of restrictions on your use, even though you have paid them good money for it. It sucks for sure. :ohwell:

where is my linux option in the poll ?

As qubit said... You are buying a licence to use it on a Playstation 2 or 3. They are not selling a licence for PC or Xbox 360 so you simply can't. You are not buying the software, you are buying the right to use the software in a specific way. If you wanna buy the rights to do wtv you want with the software, prepare to pay billions.

No, they can try, but I payed for it, and I am free to do with it what I wish, and that means installing it on w/e I wish, they can try to force me to not use it in that manner but there is a serious difference between a company doing such things, and a private citizen that has constitutional rights.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Unfortunately, I can't add polls to news posts. This poll was added by a mod and is a surprise (a pleasant one) to me too.

If you want to ask a mod to change the poll, feel free. :toast:

System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Unfortunately, I can't add polls to news posts. This poll was added by a mod and is a surprise (a pleasant one) to me too.

If you want to ask a mod to change the poll, feel free. :toast:

Done and done.

System Name Homelabs

No, they can try, but I payed for it, and I am free to do with it what I wish, and that means installing it on w/e I wish, they can try to force me to not use it in that manner but there is a serious difference between a company doing such things, and a private citizen that has constitutional rights.

Again, you never BOUGHT THE SOFTWARE, only the RIGHT TO USE IT.

You are renting the software for a specific use.

System Name White Boy
Cooling CORSAIR H100
Case BIT FENIX Prodigy
Audio Device(s) none
Again, you never BOUGHT THE SOFTWARE, only the RIGHT TO USE IT.

You are renting the software for a specific use.

I understand what your saying but I own a disc with the software, thus I won the software, or am I just renting the disc too ?

Memory G.SKILL 8x4GB RAM
Re:

I understand what your saying but I own a disc with the software, thus I won the software, or am I just renting the disc too ?

Good one mate!

Completely Bonkers

Processor Mysterious Engineering Prototype
Motherboard Intel 865
Cooling Custom block made in workshop
Memory Corsair XMS 2GB
Video Card(s) FireGL X3-256
Display(s) 1600x1200 SyncMaster x 2 = 3200x1200
Software Windows 2003
Language Declension Guru, forever at your service ;-)

Nominative Pronoun / Dative Objective / Genitive Possessive Adjective / Possessive Pronoun
I / Me / My / Mine
You / You / Your / Yours
He / Him / His / His
She / Her / Her / Hers
It / It / Its (His) / Its (His)

We / Us / Our / Ours
You / You / Your / Yours
They / Them / Their / Theirs

Olde 2nd person (Personal You)
Thou / Thee / Thy / Thine

Indefinite personal pronoun (Impersonal You)
One / One / One's / -

Remember: There are no apostrophes in possessive declensions except for one situation, when one shouldn't forget one's apostrophe! LOL ;-)

ENOUGHT! No more grammar. I promise. (But this post was to help people whose first language isn't English!)

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
I use windows, wouldn't really say I'm happy with it. Basically forced to use it so I can play my favorite games.

Apple is a terrible, anti-competitive and monopolistic company. If they had more market share, they would get hit with some big-time lawsuits like Microsoft has in the past. They are currently being shielded by their low install base.

They sell overpriced budget hardware made in chinese sweatshops and package them as ultra high-end premium goods.
The only thing high grade is the monitors. Everything else is budget grade to maximize profits.

At least that's how it was last time I decided to look. It's been a while since I googled apple hardware teardowns, though.

If people are stupid enough to buy Apple and think they are getting the absolute best hardware, then let them. I will hapilly pay 1/4 the proce for something that will blow their computers out of the water.

Their OS is nice, though. Can't argue that.Sorry if I'm wandering off topic. Been watching football, hockey, baseball and soon : MMA. Full day of boozing for old Techtard.
:D

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Unfortunately, while you own the physical disc, you don't get the right to do with the software as you please. It's an awkward legal situation that seriously disadvantages the buyer, but is unfortunately true.

Language Declension Guru, forever at your service ;-)

Nominative Pronoun / Dative Objective / Genitive Possessive Adjective / Possessive Pronoun
I / Me / My / Mine
You / You / Your / Yours
He / Him / His / His
She / Her / Her / Hers
It / It / Its (His) / Its (His)

We / Us / Our / Ours
You / You / Your / Yours
They / Them / Their / Theirs

Olde 2nd person (Personal You)
Thou / Thee / Thy / Thine

Indefinite personal pronoun (Impersonal You)
One / One / One's / -

Remember: There are no apostrophes in possessive declensions except for one situation, when one shouldn't forget one's apostrophe! LOL ;-)

ENOUGHT! No more grammar. I promise. (But this post was to help people whose first language isn't English!)

Thiss gramar nazi approvs! o god, my english is reely good but this leeves me standin!

System Name Homelabs

Only way to install the software on the disc is to enter a licence code. Without it, you can have the software, but not use it or use it in the demo/trial mode if it has one. ie: If you have a Windows disc and you don't activate Windows, it limits you on what you can do or something like that. If you download some program and after 15 days it asks for a licence code else you can't use it as it was a trial, just because you have the program doesn't mean you are allowed to use it. Many programs are free to download, but they make you pay for the licence.

Just because you bought Norton, doesn't mean you can install it on 20 PCs. You need a 20 PC licence... Just because you have the Norton disc doesn't mean you are allowed install it on many different computers at once.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License

P.S: I mistakenly use the spelling licence (UK) instead of license (US), but I don't feel like correcting myself

TLDR version, You got 3 choices:
1. Buy the right to use this software in a specific way and use it in that specified matter
2. Buy the whole software for a few billion and use it however you like or as specified in the buyer/seller agreement you guys agree to.
3. Don't buy it. Go buy another OS, use Linux, or make your own

Unfortunately, while you own the physical disc, you don't get the right to do with the software as you please. It's an awkward legal situation that seriously disadvantages the buyer, but is unfortunately true.

I disagree. It is NOT an awkard legal situation, it is clear and defined and defines the rules. It does not disadvantage the buyer. If the buyer wants the software, he can put an offer... But you'd have to pay billions as I said. If you want a free OS, linux is there, but there is a price tag if you want an easy to use OS, and if you want to use the OS for cheap, than ya gotta follow the rules. Don't like it? DON'T BUY IT, simple as that.

Just FYI, making an OS is HARD and COSTLY and time-consuming.

Good one mate!

Your posts are kind of ridiculous... Press the thanks button on his post instead of posting useless posts

Last edited:
System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
I'd buy OSX if it ran on non-Apple hardware. For real.