• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Why BD failed? AMD Ex-Employee speaks out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
OMG what a f* disaster. :shadedshu I've just seen a block diagram and explanation for the Bulldozer architecture: it's not an 8-core chip at all. The two 'cores' are siamesed into one building block and share lots of resources and lose lots of performance. This thing is actually merely a quad core processor with a souped-up version of HyperThreading or whatever the AMD equivalent is.

Here's the block diagram taken from Hexus' review:

http://img.techpowerup.org/111013/BDS.jpg

See what I mean? The only thing it seems to be good at is overclocking and that only brings it within reach of Intel's top parts at stock, it doesn't even beat them, all the while using a huge amount of power and requiring expensive cooling. This chip is a lemon like Vista was for Microsoft, or perhaps even worse.

I'll soon be upgrading my aging E8500 to an i5-2500K. No point in waiting any more.

8 integer cores = HT? I'm not that knowledgeble about this, but that is a simplification.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Seriously you've only just realised this?

It's literally the main selling point for bulldozer.

It means instead of building a whole entire core they use 25% of one and still get MOST of the performance of an extra core. ( In theory a shit ton better than hyper threading )

To put it simply, AMD may of had an underwelming release but they've just started a core race with Intel ( I imagine it's due to silicone not going to go much further IPC and clock speed wise) Piledriver will be 10 cores and the chips after that will be 20 core monsters. ( I suspect AMD are going to try and push OPEN CL big time in order for the cores to be taken advantage of easily)

They've a plan, they may not pull it off but if they do they'll become server CPU kings and if they can increase IPC a wee bit to bring it into line with competing processors then it will be a beast.

I'm aware it doesn't seem like they're pulling that off at the moment but I'm fairly certain something is wrong either with software or hardware ( rather than design) as a chip with twice the transistors of phenom x6 should be smashing it.

I've only just looked at the architecture in any detail, yes. Taken together with the benches, it's not hard to see why performance falls short. Also, the memory bandwidth is not especially high in the benches, which leads to bottlenecks. The Intel chips have higher bandwidth with less cores, so they're gonna be able to breath better.

This is definitely a 4 core chip with two threads per core, not a true 8 core chip, end of story.

I think having AMD say that the software isn't optimized for it is a bit of an excuse. Hexus said it was a dangerous argument to base a purchasing decision on, too.

I definitely don't think AMD should be marketing this as an 8 core chip.

8 integer cores = HT? I'm not that knowledgeble about this, but that is a simplification.

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/4955/BDArch.png

Yes, the integer units are separate, but most of the core is all shared resources, so it's just one core that's able to handle two threads. Just look at a block diagram for something like a Phenom or my E8500. You'll see that everything is separate, apart from the cache and glue logic.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
I definitely don't think AMD should be marketing this as an 8 core chip.

That's what I thought when I first read about the architecure :laugh: Knew it would bite them in the arse as people would expect you know, the whole performance of a core :laugh:

From a definition POV though it does count as a "core" as it's actually scheduling and excuting two threads at the same time.

( hyper threading is more like smart HW based thread scheduling from my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong folks!)

What I'd like to know is, what was the BD release supposed to coincide with?

Generally AMD try and get their launch dates close a launch of something else so help boost sales.

So what was it? lol

Last edited:
System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
the whole idea behind bulldozer was to decrease the size of a core from X transistors to 50-75% of X while still keeping a similar level of performance. The bad thing is that at the last moment someone decided to add all these other "useful" things like a humongous L2 cache, AES hardware decription and new instruction sets and the whole thing quickly grew out of proportions.

See once again AMD tried to do too much at once and ended up with a botch job just like with the original phenom. Be aware of your abilities and don't overstate them - that simple :/

$ntel found out long ago that a smaller but faster cache beats a bloated large cache every time yet if you look at the picture above roughly 1/3 of the die is L2 cache - it's almost as big as the module itself :/

AMD are trying to blame Glo Fo but imagine how much leaner the original phenom could have been if they had decided to keep the L3 for the next process node or if BD had "only" 512kb L2 per module and didn't require a 2 billion die...

Last edited:
System Name 9th Level
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard MSI X570 Carbon wifi
Cooling EK Basic 360, x2 250mm, x1 140mm, x1 120mm fans.
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200mhz.
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 12GB FTW3
Storage 500gb ssd, 2tb ssd, 6tb HD.
Display(s) MSI 27" Curved 1440p@165hz
Case HAF 932
Power Supply Corsair HX850W
Software Windows 10 64bit
If the price on the 8150 drops to 200$ or less it will be my next processor.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
OMG what a f* disaster. :shadedshu I've just seen a block diagram and explanation for the Bulldozer architecture: it's not an 8-core chip at all. The two 'cores' are siamesed into one building block and share lots of resources and lose lots of performance. This thing is actually merely a quad core processor with a souped-up version of HyperThreading or whatever the AMD equivalent is.

Here's the block diagram taken from Hexus' review:

http://img.techpowerup.org/111013/BDS.jpg

See what I mean? The only thing it seems to be good at is overclocking and that only brings it within reach of Intel's top parts at stock, it doesn't even beat them, all the while using a huge amount of power and requiring expensive cooling. This chip is a lemon like Vista was for Microsoft, or perhaps even worse.

I'll soon be upgrading my aging E8500 to an i5-2500K. No point in waiting any more.

Hey NEWS guy.. Each Bulldozer core has 2 threads... This has been know for quite some time now... :p I don't see what all the fuss is over? Nobody in this thread has a BD.. Wait till the actual chip gets released, before passing judgment.. Use common sense.. if the best BD Stock chip only performs on par with a 2500k... Then they would not set the price higher than a stock 2500k. There is a lot more people that buy pc's and leave them stock then OCing them. Those people will buy a faster AMD pc.. What ground will amd lose by staying where people expect them to be? None... Does everyone in here think that the few OCer's in these forums keep AMD alive? Well no.. they do not pay there bills..

Last edited:

Benetanegia

Seriously you've only just realised this?

It's literally the main selling point for bulldozer.

It means instead of building a whole entire core they use 25% of one and still get MOST of the performance of an extra core. ( In theory a shit ton better than hyper threading )

It was obvious for me from the start, when I first saw the diagrams, that all those claims were complete bull. Or in other words it was taking the whole thing with 100% optimism and wishful thinking. The key of the matter is that each module has a single scheduler capable of issuing 4 instructions. The fact that the entire module can execute 8 instructions (4 per "core"), which is what AMD marketing department has been selling all the time is almost completely irrelevant. 99% of the time Zambezi is capable of only 4 instructions per module, that is 4 x 4 = 16 instructions for the entire chip. For comparison Thuban is capable of issuing and executing 3 instructions per core, so 3 x 6 = 18. Of course this only accounts for the maximum capacity and in a sense this is where BD was going to excell. If the software only requires 2 instructions, then BD can still execute 16 (2 per core) and Thuban is left with only 12. This was the logic behind the BD concept and this is what any kind of multi-threading tries to maximize the use of the resources. After all has been said and done and benchmarks have been performed, the bad thing for AMD is that Intel's SMT more than suffices for this task and has proven to be a lot more efficient.

And come on AMD's claims about 25% more area for 80% more performance was complete bull. I mean 2 billion transistors for 4 modules (8 non real cores), when Thuban is only 900 million or 750 million for Deneb. How is that a 25% increase at all? They could have made a real 8, hell probably even a 12 core Thuban-based chip on the same transistor budget and it would have been 100x times better, even if core scaling kind of sucked in comparison.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
This is definitely a 4 core chip with two threads per core, not a true 8 core chip, end of story.

This has been the talk for quite some time now, so yeah.

And remember that it only fails in single threaded performance. When increasing load there it is on par with SB.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Could W1zz or someone else try and kept a statement from AMD asking them what's up?

Or have AMD just pulled of a GTX480 and packed to much into one die?

I'm still just shocked something with twice the transistor count can do so badly.( well not badly, I'd say performance was acceptable)

naoan

System Name AMD?
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software 7 X64
They could have made a real 8, hell probably even a 12 core Thuban-based chip on the same transistor budget and it would have been 100x times better, even if core scaling kind of sucked in comparison.

I wish they would just do this :(

There are some early suggestions that it could be a bug with BD working with Asus Crosshair V and GTX580 which most benchamarks have been run with. See this thread on Toms:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/315775-10-asus-crosshair-giving-biased-results-bulldozer

To sum up, benchmarks run on ASRock 990FX Extreme4 with a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Toxic Edition and 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 seem much closer to i7 2600k.

Not sure what to believe but could the poor performance really be just a bios bug...?

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
There are some early suggestions that it could be a bug with BD working with Asus Crosshair V and GTX580 which most benchamarks have been run with. See this thread on Toms:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/315775-10-asus-crosshair-giving-biased-results-bulldozer

To sum up, benchmarks run on ASRock 990FX Extreme4 with a Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB Toxic Edition and 2x 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 seem much closer to i7 2600k.

Not sure what to believe but could the poor performance really be just a bios bug...?

I would imagine since they are using a weaker GPU, the bottleneck is there instead of at the CPU which would result in a more "level" outcome.

System Name Gaming rig
Processor AMD FX-8120
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Pro 2.0
Cooling Antec A40 Pro
Memory 4x 4gb Corsair Vengeance 1600ddr 3
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 280X 3gb
Storage Kingston Hyper-X 120gb SSD, Western DIgital 1tb hdd, Seagate 250gb hdd
Display(s) LG 25UM58 25" Ultra wide
Case Corsair Carbide 500R white
Power Supply Corsair TX850 modular
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Logitech G413 Silver
Software Windows 10 64-bit
despite all the issues i will still buy amd. just bought another phenom today to get my pc up and running again

will buy a 8150 later on once my finances recover after i get a job again.

regardless in high end games bd's performance is acceptable to me :)

System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
If the price on the 8150 drops to 200$ or less it will be my next processor.
Me too. At $200 it's a deal and a half. Use the included AMD software to optimise it for further gain.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Yeah if Benchmarks show that BD is an improvement orver my Phenom II 965 I'll be upgrading to it as well.

Maybe I'll wait for a price drop.

Perhaps this is why the Chip has been delayed? I mean if they are so crappy you'd think they would have released before all this trash got washed up on the beach.

Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-F
Cooling Ek 240 Aio
Memory Gskill Trident Neo 4000 18-22-22-42 @3800 fclk 1900
Video Card(s) 2080ti
Storage 1 TB Nvme
Power Supply Seasonic 750w
Software Win 11
This thing is actually merely a quad core processor with a souped-up version of HyperThreading or whatever the AMD equivalent is.

wait, people still didn't know this??
In Anand's 2010 analysis of the bulldozer arch, thats pretty much what he said.

I'm aware it doesn't seem like they're pulling that off at the moment but I'm fairly certain something is wrong either with software or hardware ( rather than design) as a chip with twice the transistors of phenom x6 should be smashing it.

half the bloody BD chip is cache... they really needed to shave at least half the l2 cache, at least. also the cache has really, really high latencies, something in the order of 2x or 3x intels cache.

Last edited:
System Name Gamers PC
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE @ 3.80 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 AM3
Cooling Corsair H50 Cooler
Memory Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1333
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
Storage 2 x WD Caviar Green 1TB SATA300 w/64MB Buffer (RAID 0)
Display(s) Samsung 2494SW 1080p 24" WS LCD HD
Case CM HAF 932 Full Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-FI TITANIUM -PCIE x 1
Power Supply Corsair TX Series CMPSU-650TX (650W)
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
What a bios bug? Well I know for a fact ASUS is working day & night on a new bios update to resolve some known Bulldozer issues via it's AM3+ mobo's. I wonder if this will help BD perform better....

System Name RyZen FX
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling DeepCool AK400 Zero Dark Plus
Memory Corsair CMK32GX4M2E3200C16 X2 32gig dual channel
Video Card(s) ASUS RX 7700XT TUF OC
Storage x2 Lexar SSD NM710 2TB 2XSeagate 1Terrabyte 1x Seagate 2 Terrabyte
Display(s) 40 Inch Samsung HDTV (monitor)
Case HAF-X:)
Audio Device(s) AMD/HDMI to Onkyo HT-R508 Receiver
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Power Supply
Software Windows 10 Pro X64
I think we are watching a CPU manufacture turn into a graphics card one...Just my own opinion.Next year they will push the A FM2 sockets to us with built in 7000 gpu`s just to laugh at us further,AMD as a cpu company died 5 years ago after the x2 64 FX chips.Why do you think they put ATI logo out the backdoor and killed it so fast.And if the 10 core -16 core cpus desktop refresh of BD are good they will kill AM3+ mobos and make the FM2 a multi purpose to have A and Fx in it.

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...ults-bulldozer

I know that some sites are preforming reviews with 1600MHz RAM, instead of 1866MHz, which seems to be the ideal RAM speed for BD. Also, RAM timmings always contributed to improve the performance results with AMD processors, so this one should be no different.
As for board specific issues, didn't notice it.
For once, though, I think the usual PR crap about pairing and AMD CPU with an AMD GPU actually means something, but I'll have to look further into that before having any conclusions.

System Name Bang4Buck
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard MSI PRESTIGE x570 CREATION
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S36
Memory 32Gb 4400Mhz Patriot Viper Steel(Samsung B-die) @ 3800Mhz 16-16-16-32-48-1T @ 1.38v
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3080 Ti Suprim X
Storage Adata SX8200Pro 512Gb/2x Crucial P1 1Tb/Samsung 840 EVO/6Tb Raid -HGST Enterprise/2x IronWolf 8Tb/
Display(s) Samsung UE49KS8002 4K HDR TV (US - 9 series)
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black Usb-C
Audio Device(s) HDMI out to Denon X4400H reciever, 2x Dali Zensor 7, Dali Zensor Vokal, 2x Dali Zensor 1, Yamaha Sub
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra 750W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed
Keyboard Logitech K520
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores https://www.3dmark.com/spy/26216445
I know that some sites are preforming reviews with 1600MHz RAM, instead of 1866MHz, which seems to be the ideal RAM speed for BD. Also, RAM timmings always contributed to improve the performance results with AMD processors, so this one should be no different.

Really, and the Intel SB chips were tested with 1333 ram and they still beat faildozer. Stop looking for excuses and admit to yourself the chip was over-hyped and fails to deliver.

de.das.dude

Pro Indian Modder
System Name Monke | Work Thinkpad| Old Monke
Processor Ryzen 5600X | Ryzen 5500U | FX8320
Motherboard ASRock B550 Extreme4 | ? | Asrock 990FX Extreme 4
Cooling 240mm Rad | Not needed | hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 Corsair RGB | 16 GB DDR4 3600 | 16GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX6700XT 12GB | Vega 8 | Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB
Storage Samsung 980 nvme (Primary) | some samsung SSD
Display(s) Dell 2723DS | Some 14" 1080p 98%sRGB IPS | Dell 2240L
Case Ant Esports Tempered case | Thinkpad | Antec
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z333 | Jabra corpo stuff
Power Supply Corsair RM750e | not needed | Corsair GS 600
Mouse Logitech G400 | nipple
Keyboard Logitech G213 | stock kb is awesome | Logitech K230
VR HMD ;_;
Software Windows 10 Professional x3
Benchmark Scores There are no marks on my bench
Read this on OCN. Main source: Click

amd needs a new head. amds policies and strategies sucks ass.

hint hint, i am unemployed talented and i am an INDIAN.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I think we are watching a CPU manufacture turn into a graphics card one...

Well, hey, the graphics cards are still quite up to par, at least, time after time at the same price point with their primary competitor, now aren't they?

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Really, and the Intel SB chips were tested with 1333 ram and they still beat faildozer. Stop looking for excuses and admit to yourself the chip was over-hyped and fails to deliver.
What a productive comment. :rolleyes:
Uhm...if you had read any of my posts/replies, you would know I never said the chip was not over-hyped.
It's only obvious that, if bulldozer is optimized for 1866MHz RAM and has mediocre results with 1600MHz, with 1333MHz sticks it would be even worse.
Also, it's no big news that Intel's memory controllers are very good and AMD has yet to come up with something to counter that.
Bulldozer is not FAIL, it just needs some tweaks. Maybe this generation of CPU will not be able to do something remarkable, but there's always piledriver.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
What you call the main source doesn't say anything more than what you posted though. And that site, Insideris.com references a thread in the Macrumors forum from 2010 concerning Apple possibly switching to AMD...
The forum member who made those comments seems to be rather bitter, here's a message from right before the first part of the snippet above:

That was April 2010. Actually, he didn't state facts, only claims, since we don't have any way to verify without AMD's permission to do so... but there must be some truth in some of them, outside of the obvious extreme bitterness about the design path and methodology taken.

Its true, because basically what he said is coming true, how is it not?

8 cores at 3.6Ghz is barley competing with the same architecture revision's of previous generations? Its a simple fact that they started doing what this ex amd guy said, about bulldozer specifically. They might keep it that way to.

There is no more to be said, bulldozer has bigger number's on paper then anything around it, but it's got low efficiency, getting low number's, and not performing like marketed. You couldnt get any more suck out of that?

Unless you hear about these FX core's failing because of ET migration within 2 years or less. He also stated that no?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.