• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

DLC and $, why pay more and more?

$$$ On DLC??

• I support DLC and the charges that apply for DLC.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I do not support DLC and it should be all one package.

Votes: 38 62.3%
  • DLC is a iffy topic, leave it as is.

Votes: 13 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
Hello TPU,

I'm a bit worn from playing a couple of games, NFS:Hotpursuit(2010) and Black ops ect ect..

The point of this thread, is more of a opinion sided reflection of basically the quality of games and the re-occurring trends that are copied as we progress further in this day of age. One thing that stand's out more and more is everything involving Downloadable Content, starting to edge its way into everything. Downloadable Content is great, but why is there a price tag after buying a Hard/Digital License of your software? Second of all, I believe sense this trend has caught on that many games are developed with less quality in-mind and end up not being so great in the first place.

I remember 10 year's ago when any and all games that where released were complete and more or less quality insured, because Developers and licensing company's did not want there only possible sale being refunded back to Best Buy or Circuit City(rip).

Now in this day of age, more and more games are starting to show trend's almost like utility company's where you know there's going to be an added charge in the future to hit your wallet.

I'm concerned because I only see this getting worse and worse with future game titles almost like "Moore's Law" with electronics. Also this almost set's a LIMITING bar on the quality of game a developer can TRULY! make, for the simple fact that they could make that extra "commission" for the future.

In my opinion, we could have more 8-10*Star titles if a game had everything it could possible have all in 1 package, with no extra 5-15$ charge's to unlock an available option. If anything were going to command a price tag in the first place, it should be "EXPANSION PACKS" that really give an extra 35-50% extra content to a video game.

How long will people keep dishing out Money, after dishing out more Money, after paying Money originally for a title!?

The economy is getting tuff for some people(me/fellows), and more and more this trend is catching on?

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
It's simple. If it wasn't profitable for them they wouldn't do it. I don't care if the trend is concerning or otherwise. A business will capitolize on what they can and there's nothing you can do about it other than not purchasing the product.

Kwod

System Name Crysis 3
Processor i3570+CM 212
Motherboard ASUS P8Z77 V
Cooling Antec 1100+3 fans
Memory 2x8gig 1600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Saphire 7950 Vapour X
Storage Samsung 250g 840
Display(s) 26in LCD 1920x1200 8 bit+37in 1080p HDTV
Case Antec 1100
Audio Device(s) Xonar DG+Z5500D
Power Supply Antec 650 Hi current
Software W7 64
It's simple. If it wasn't profitable for them they wouldn't do it. I don't care if the trend is concerning or otherwise. A business will capitolize on what they can and there's nothing you can do about it other than not purchasing the product.

This is the problem, wombats keep buying crappy games and their crappy DLC, so companies maintain this trend....but me, I've witheld buying Rage and DEHR, and will only buy Skyrim after a few days to ensure there's no show stopping bugs.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
This is the problem, wombats keep buying crappy games and their crappy DLC, so companies maintain this trend....but me, I've witheld buying Rage and DEHR, and will only buy Skyrim after a few days to ensure there's no show stopping bugs.

The world is run by wombats.

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I wait for the DLC to go on sale at Steam and then pick it all up for the price of one. That's how I did it with Borderlands and Civ V.

I'm not going to pay full price other wise.

edit: I should add that when I say I'm not going to pay full price, I mean I do not need it.

I almost solely buy my games based on MP gameplay. Do not care enough about SP, though Borderlands has changed my mind to a degree. If Steam wants to do a sale on it that makes it 3 for the price of 1, then I'll probably jump. Otherwise the motivation is not there for me to buy it. It's not really a morality view (in my opinion....yet), I just do not see the need when I'll either a) never use it or 2) it will go on sale anyway. (see what I did there? :D)

Last edited:

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
I personally say, there is always a chance that in the future it could turn around. There could be such a gathering, probably beyond the scope anybody would figure that would stand up against what I perceive as immoral business.

"Just purchased a nice corvette!,"

"Comes to find out that theirs a wheel or two missing,"

"run's back to the dealership, only to find out theirs another extra charge."

But, if the wombats are supplying, and they dev's continue profiting theirs nothing in there way, its there freedom.

Processor Intel Core i5-3570K
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V Pro
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 8GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 670
Storage Intel 520 60GB, Seagate Barracuda XT 2TB
Display(s) BenQ 24" XL2420T
Case Corsair 550D
Audio Device(s) Sennheiser HD600, Audeze LCD-3F, Mytek Stereo 192 DSD, La Figaro 339, Burson HA-160, Geek Pulse X
Power Supply Corsair AX650
Mouse steelseries Sensei MLG edition
Keyboard Cooler Master QuickFire Pro
Software Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
expansion packs take a year to make and cost $29.99+ you may not want to wait or like all the content. games like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 2 have a lot of DLC but only 1 or 2 pieces are worth playing.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
expansion packs take a year to make and cost $29.99+ you may not want to wait or like all the content. games like Fallout 3 or Mass Effect 2 have a lot of DLC but only 1 or 2 pieces are worth playing.

The thing is, you never necessarily know if they already had those expansion packs in there mind's and maybe already in development, how long it really took to develop them.

There is room for developers to release a title, and consecutively plan all add-on's for that title for profit, and its very plausible now sense there are trends that have been proven to work.
I wont doubt it took a year of development to create some expansion packs for those title's, but how long could it have really taken when they have already mastered the building blocks of development for that title?

But that's skeptics after that, I still believe personally that this trend of DLC's occurring could be the evil spice for many game developers to really take advantage of now, there's no stopping. Only proven number's of success for them.

Last edited:
J

John Doe

If for making new maps/modifiying current guns to make new ones and such, it definately shouldn't take a year. A few months or so...

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
I personally say, there is always a chance that in the future it could turn around. There could be such a gathering, probably beyond the scope anybody would figure that would stand up against what I perceive as immoral business.

But, if the wombats are supplying, and they dev's continue profiting theirs nothing in there way, its there freedom.

Well I guess it would be easier to say it is like how car companies say 40MPG for a certain vehicle and then give you the higher horsepower quote of the performance engine option as well and say starts at X price when all the features you mention were premium trim in different ways and you can't even get all those features on one vehicle. :laugh:

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
Simple, wait for the games price to drop to show them how we really feel about their gouging on first release, and with DLC unable to be resold to help fund the next game......

Being able to download patches and DLC is a gift and a curse. Back in the day once a game was released that was it no patches or fixes and you had to deal with whatever bugs and glitches came with the game. Now with the internet it allows devs to release unfinished products and games severely lacking content knowing that they can just patch it up and throw DLC at you and still make money.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Well I guess it would be easier to say it is like how car companies say 40MPG for a certain vehicle and then give you the higher horsepower quote of the performance engine option as well and say starts at X price when all the features you mention were premium trim in different ways and you can't even get all those features on one vehicle. :laugh:

Yea that's a better example, like getting the SE without power lock door's instead of that limited edition :laugh:

But, to a person's ear with a good sense of mind it just does not sound right, but apply vise versa to the gaming world, and lower the stakes(cash) a bit, its perfectly fine :eek:

System Name Money Hole
Processor Core i7 970
Motherboard Asus P6T6 WS Revolution
Cooling Noctua UH-D14
Memory 2133Mhz 12GB (3x4GB) Mushkin 998991
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290X
Storage Samsung 1TB 850 Evo
Display(s) 3x Acer KG240A 144hz
Case CM HAF 932
Audio Device(s) ADI (onboard)
Power Supply Enermax Revolution 85+ 1050w
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G710+
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Being able to download patches and DLC is a gift and a curse. Back in the day once a game was released that was it no patches or fixes and you had to deal with whatever bugs and glitches came with the game. Now with the internet it allows devs to release unfinished products and games severely lacking content knowing that they can just patch it up and throw DLC at you and still make money.

Too true. Some of the stuff that gets released today is just sloppy. ATI (apparently as I've heard/read this but don't remember it) even released a "new" video card that was nothing but an old one with the buggy drivers fixed.

Just thinking about the DLC after reading that BF3 will have 3x as much as BC2 (so what? 3 instead of 1? :laugh: ), I wouldn't mind that over the rehash that has turned in to the COD series. Pay $10-15 for BF3 DLC or pay $60 for a COD rehash that could have been a $10-15 DLC? Not trying to persuade anyone one way or the other (or that DLC is good at all), just a thought I had when reading the article.

~Sigh~

Another nostalgic look back at what was once, and never shall be again.

In the days before internet connectivity was assumed, games were less complex and it was easier to not have bugs. There were still games that released with bugs, but they were few and far between. Developers completed a games, pushed it out, and began working on what may be a sequel or a whole new franchise.

Today there are a billion different hardware configurations, multitudes of software, and executives at the top pushing for profit rather than quality (I'm looking at you EA).

The reality is, software can be pushed out the door with glaring bugs. This is justified by the business side, and the gutted development team is told to "fix it with a patch." This pisses off your customer base, but the games are already sold. Having experienced all of the issues possible in Crysis 2, I can honestly say that if I knew what I was getting into I wouldn't have purchased it for several weeks (if at all).

Publishers realized this, and the financial side pushed for pre-order bonuses. When pre-order bonuses lost their appeal the publishers pushed out day-1 DLC to address the "problem" of used game sales.

This is to say nothing of DLC in general. Everyone remembers horse armor... Then you've got Bioware (at the behest of EA) releasing character clothing packs (that do nothing) for Mass Effect 2.

Honestly, publishers are attempting to capitalize on every penny of the market. Origin has made it clear that EA doesn't want to share a penny. EA saying that "consumers wouldn't be able to user our development tools for BF3" to justify not releasing community dev tools smacks everyone in the community. It says "You're stupid, and we can charge whatever we want for the three hours of development time that went into making this new map. Screw it, we don't even need to quality test it."

I will be glad to purchase a new game. If I know it will have DLC then I'm waiting for the game of the year edition. 50 dollars for the game and all the DLC, or 100 dollars for the "privledge" of being a guinea pig to find flaws and pay individually for what can range from useless to shaved off gameplay bits that can be found in DLC.

In short, DLC gets more money for the publisher. It is a short sighted way to nickle and dime consumers. With budgets being tighter, I hope publishers see that shitty DLC will do more to hurt sales than the couple of delays that it may take for a publisher to polish up the games they sell.

System Name Grond
Processor Ryen 5 3600x PBO ~ 4.4GHz / fabric at 1900
Motherboard MSI b550 Tomahawk
Cooling XSPC Raystorm CPU w/ am4 mounting bracket+ 2 RX360 radiator + xspc Razor R9-290 w/ backplate
Memory 32gb Crucial Ballistix @ 3800
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290 w/ XSPC Razor full cover block and backplate
Storage WD SN850 1tb-OS, SN750 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo 1tb, WD blue hdd 4tb
Display(s) Samsung 23" 120hz 3d LCD w/ 3d glasses, using 'lightboost' trick
Case NZXT H630 white watercooling case
Audio Device(s) Onboard realtek ALC 1200+ Sennheiser HD 598
Power Supply XFX Pro 850 XXX semi-modular
Mouse Logitech G703 Wireless
Keyboard Steelseries 6 v2
Software Windows 10 Pro (Had some mystery error on Win7 and decided to go W10)
It's simple, people are consumer whores programmed to buy, buy, buy!
As long as the DLC system is buying executive X a new yacht this year, we will keep getting half games with the rest of the content chopped into affordable, bite sized chunks.

Processor faster at instructions than yours
Motherboard more nurturing than yours
Cooling frostier than yours
Memory superior scheduling & haphazardly entry than yours
Video Card(s) better rasterization than yours
Storage more ample than yours
Display(s) increased pixels than yours
Case fancier than yours
Audio Device(s) further audible than yours
Power Supply additional amps x volts than yours
Mouse without as much gnawing as yours
Keyboard less clicky than yours
VR HMD not as odd looking as yours
Software extra mushier than yours
Benchmark Scores up yours
one thing i don't like is same day DLC because it obviously been stripped from the game. Bioware has been doing this mostly to have people purchase new games since the DLC is free for new game purchases but costs money to purchase if the game is bought used. I'm fine with that "practice" but you are starting to see other companies charge you even if you purchase a new game. I know it is my choice as a consumer to purchase the $49...$59..or $69 or the $10 DLC but don't tell me the content costs more because it was developed independently when it's obviously been stripped off the game.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64

This is a horrible analogy, because you can't drive the Corvette without wheels. If you bought the Corvette, then wanted to put on aftermarket parts, you'd expect to pay for it right? Games are sold as a complete entity without DLC. If you don't want the DLC, just like if you don't want aftermarket parts, don't buy it.

Abe504

System Name Abe504
Processor i5 2400
Motherboard ASRock H61M/U3S3
Memory 6gb DDR3 ram
Video Card(s) Galaxy 56NGH6HS4IXZ GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Storage Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Blue SATA 3 Gb/s
Display(s) Acer A221HQV
Case Cooler Master Elite 310
Power Supply Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W
Its always optional, nobody ever has to buy it. It's all about choice, if you enjoy the game and they have dlc, go ahead and buy it if you want to extend the experience past the core one. Nobody is ever forced to buy dlc, the core games always work without the dlc. If publishers want to make a few extra bucks by selling add ons, it's their perogative. I think the main issue is just price with people. Gaming isn't a cheap hobby

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Its always optional, nobody ever has to buy it. It's all about choice, if you enjoy the game and they have dlc, go ahead and buy it if you want to extend the experience past the core one. Nobody is ever forced to buy dlc, the core games always work without the dlc. If publishers want to make a few extra bucks by selling add ons, it's their perogative.

Agreed.

I always consider free dlc as a special bonus. After all, dlc aren't patches to the game or something without which the base game won't run. They're just extra content.

I'd prefer a low-priced game without dlc anytime over a hefty-priced game including everything. At least with dlc they give you a choice on whether you want the extra stuff or not.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
the bitching about dlc has to stop, are you people children?

i thought it was worth 99c to add a few cool guns to just cause 2. I didn't think it was worth $5 to add horse armor to oblivion. i bought one and not the other. i bought rage, and i won't buy any dlc for it. i bought deus ex and all the dlc, and will continue to buy all the dlc for it.

i am discerning and specific, i don't like day 1 dlc but am willing to buy it the same if what it adds is worth the price they ask. whether it's removed content or not is case by case, and the timing and price of the dlc don't reflect. and if an extra $5-$10 over the life of the game supports the devs i like and gives me more to experience in a world i enjoy- I'm. all. for. it.

generalizing dlc is like generalizing anything else - you're stupid if you do it. it's subjective and relative, and thinking you can sum up in one sentence every dlc available for every game shows the limit of your powers of reasoning.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-9900K Direct Die
Motherboard eVGA Z390 Dark
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.Skill F4-4500C19D-16GTZKKE or G.Skill F4-3600C16D-16GTZ or G.Skill F4-4000C19D-32GTZSW
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 EVO M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Its always optional, nobody ever has to buy it. It's all about choice, if you enjoy the game and they have dlc, go ahead and buy it if you want to extend the experience past the core one. Nobody is ever forced to buy dlc, the core games always work without the dlc. If publishers want to make a few extra bucks by selling add ons, it's their perogative. I think the main issue is just price with people. Gaming isn't a cheap hobby

Succinctly put, I agree.

Except, I believe some companies will see the popularity (for lack of a better word) as an opportunity to deliberately cripple games and then say "Oh, you mean you wanted the full game experience? Well, here are the missing parts, just give us more money."

If the base game was $10-$15, then buying 'add-ons' for $5 apiece would not be so bad, but $60, and then they want another $10 or $20? No thanks!

As a matter of fact, some of the user created mods for Oblivion were better than the 'official' DLC, in my opinion.

EDIT: I did not vote, because I did not like any of the choices.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
created mods for Oblivion were better than the 'official' DLC, in my opinion.

IMO, User created content will always be better then official DLC content. but most of the games today dont come with SDK tools, and thats the major thorn in this whole arguement as it forces us to run the game as is and only buy whatever DLCs they have to offer instead of being able to download community made content.

Not all games are like this. but there are a lot of games out there that lock the game down.

Does anyone remember the later days of CoD1, CoD2 and CoD4???? we had some AMAZING custom maps and mods. Hell... BF1942 and BF2 had some great mods too!! but if the dev dont release SDK tools theres little the community can do about it.

In rare cases modders were able to overcome this and still make custom content. but times have changed.

They dev studios dont seem to understand that by 'locking' the game they reduce the games overall longevity as long as people carry on making custom content for games. people will go and play them. there are LOADs of UT99 and CoD1 servers still running and packed with players.

Dont lock the game down. charge community modders royalties everytime their DLC is downloaded.

Its all give and take. but Devs dont want to give. I garantee that if they allowed the community to come up with their own custom content and charged royalties per-download. they will get more money then just selling re-skinned map packs for £5-8.

No long winded moaning here.

...most of the games today dont come with SDK tools, and thats the major thorn in this whole arguement as it forces us to run the game as is and only buy whatever DLCs they have to offer instead of being able to download community made content....
The dev studios dont seem to understand that by 'locking' the game they reduce the games overall longevity as long as people carry on making custom content for games...

I think they understand perfectly well. A game that makes money is one that can be reworked every year, and get people to pay full price for.

Where exactly would EA be if they couldn't pump out a new Football game every year. Where would they be if they couldn't pump out a FIFA game?

EA knows that if they released one good game and an SDK then people in the community would create new rosters every year. The 60 dollar game is sold once, and EA cannot sell it again the next year. The sensible business decision is to pump out an endless stream of slightly rehashed games, which amount to little more than a roster change, to minimize development costs and maximize profits.

It doesn't take a genious to see that longevity in a game is bad for a publisher. SDKs increase longevity (yes, unreal tournament and fallout 3 are still frequently used on my computer), so it counter to business good to release them.

Reality=sad

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Base game costs $50
Exp. Pack 1 costs $15
Exp. Pack 2 costs $15
Exp. Pack 3 costs $15

Would you prefer to buy the entire game for $95 and get the expansion packs for 'free'?

Or would you prefer to pay just the $50 and not buy that dlc2 you so much dislike forced on you? And pay a total of $80 by choosing the dlc rather than the full $95 and you get what you don't want?