• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

First Build Complete, What's next? Need some Help.

Truquitos

Hi!
yesterday I put together my first new build and everything seems to be working fine.
I then proceed to install my Crucial M4 218GB SSD, Windows 7 and drivers on it.
Now i would like to know what its next to do? besides installing programs.
I want to know what test or things I should do with my new system to know if everything
is working at its best.
Also, i would like to overclock my system to about 4.5GHz - 4.8GHz, as well as my video card, but in a range that will give me a few year with no problems of span life of components.
right now i dont know the temperature of nothing because i dont know how to. if you can help me with that i will really appreciate.

system specs:
Corsair Obsidian Series 800D
ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3
Core i7-2700K
Corsair H100
Shin-Etsu X23-7783D Thermal Compound
Corsair HX850 850W
CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz
SSD crusial M4
2X MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon
LITE-ON Black 12X BD-R
SAMSUNG Black 12X BD-ROM
Scythe Kaze Master Pro 5.25 Fan Controller

The Corsair H100 i connected the fans to the Fan controller? is that OK?
also the fan controller comes with some temp readers, but i dont know where to place them.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
cpuz,gpuz,realtemp,furmark etc.

fan is ok

stargazer7

psu runs a little on hot side

"Something else test five has brought us is a very high exhaust temperature reading. This is far from the highest I've ever seen, but it's getting up there... no doubt about it. And with an intake temperature of only forty five degrees, too. Now, let me be clear - I do believe this unit can handle the fifty degree ambient rating given by Corsair. I've seen units survive temperatures of over ninety degrees, and this unit is no doubt better built than some of them. But I have to tell you, I'd like to see that number get a bit lower, if only to save Corsair from the inevitable flood of "my power supply is running really hot - is that bad?" e-mails that are likely to follow. Once again, this isn't something that really worries me, it just bothers me a bit."

if you want to refund, send it back for an ax750 or tx750v2. they're both better and enough for your setup. i'm not sure if you still can save money by sending back that 2600k for a 2500k. but if you wanted to get the best of best and ensure it, you should have ordered a 2700k

Things are a little slow around here, due to the recent release of BF3. As far as hardware monitoring goes, I like to use CPUID Hardward Monitor, which can be found here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor-pro.html

For your GPUs, I use MSI Afterburner, which is found here: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
This has an add on, Kombuster, which does a good job of stressing your gpus, to clarify their temps at full load, as well as their stability.

For CPU, you could use Intel Burn Test, or good old Prime 95 to test temperatures at full load as well as overclocking stability. http://www.overclock.net/downloads/137251-prime95.html

If you really want to see how your system is performing, join us in Battlefield 3:) http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/platoon/2832655391301170011/listmembers/

stargazer7

sorry for that 2600k part.... i saw it wrong. why did you buy a board with an nvidia nf200? you dont want it to crossfire :slap:

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
sorry for that 2600k part.... i saw it wrong. why did you buy a board with an nvidia nf200? you dont want it to crossfire :slap:

Board supports both CF and SLi, non issue :slap:

Yup. Works fine for Crossfire. I think it's fair to point out the OP wants suggestions, not nit picking. Oh well, you have to get 18 posts a day somehow:laugh:

System Name Mace Windu
Processor Intel i7 2600K @ 4.8GHz Vcore @ 1.4
Motherboard ASUS WS Revolution P67
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900 MAX
Memory 4x2GB GSkill RipJaw DDR3 1600MHz @ 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 280X TRI-X
Storage 128GB Crucial C300 SSD (system), 600GB WD Velociraptor (Games), 250GB External (Everything Else)
Display(s) ASUS 24" LED LCD 2ms
Case Corsair 650D
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence XTS w/ Astro A40 5.8 wireless
Power Supply Corsair AX850 850W >90% EFF@300w-650w ~89%@Full Load
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Meh. The 2700k is practically the same exact chip and revision as the 2600k. The only difference being the 2700k has a base multiplier of 35 instead of 34. If you were going to end up overclocking it anyway, the 2700k was a waste of the 2600k difference in money.

google "guide to overclocking the 2600k" (or 2700k) there are lots, just look for the one that seems the most thought out in your opinion and follow it. They'll usually start you out with a core voltage of ~1.32V and have you set your multiplier to which ever highest clock you're most comfortable with, i.e. 4.8GHz being 48 multiplier x 100MHz bus speed. If the computer doesn't post, reset the the cmos and try again with ever increasing Vcore readings in .05V increments while keeping the multiplier the same until you find a stable post. Run Prime 95 and test the stress of the clock to see if it continues to work out for you.

All of this should be in whatever guide you end up finding on the internet. Happy overclocking!:rockout:

stargazer7

Board supports both CF and SLi, non issue :slap:

yes its an issue. i had a 780i that lasted 8 months, and it was non ref too. chip ran hot, died then shot the slots. the op has ZERO reason to get an nf200 for cfing two radeons. he could just have bought a regular board and it'd have worked the best. you dont need a bridge chip for two cards. it drops down performance to a non bridge situation from latency. and if you do, get a Lucid for cf. but non bridge is the best for amd setups.

Meh. The 2700k is practically the same exact chip and revision as the 2600k. The only difference being the 2700k has a base multiplier of 35 instead of 34. If you were going to end up overclocking it anyway, the 2700k was a waste of the 2600k difference in money.

google "guide to overclocking the 2600k" (or 2700k) there are lots, just look for the one that seems the most thought out in your opinion and follow it. They'll usually start you out with a core voltage of ~1.32V and have you set your multiplier to which ever highest clock you're most comfortable with, i.e. 4.8GHz being 48 multiplier x 100MHz bus speed. If the computer doesn't post, reset the the cmos and try again with ever increasing Vcore readings in .05V increments while keeping the multiplier the same until you find a stable post. Run Prime 95 and test the stress of the clock to see if it continues to work out for you.

maingear's pre builts come oc'ed at 5.2. take a read, they dont seem to be same thing anymore. reviews have been ocing beyond 5ghz on aio. also its $10 more expensive than 2600k....

http://www.eteknix.com/reviews/processors/intel-core-i7-2700k-flagship-showdown-review/3/

Last edited:

Truquitos

Thank you guys. Well i went with the corsair HX850 because is a excellent PSU and it performs like an 80 gold standard psu. Also, a lot of people recommend it. So 1 last question. For the corsair h100 it coma with 2 fans, but I didn't connect those fans to the pump, I connected them to my fan controller, so I can control them easier, is that OK? Or what do you suggest? Thanks

stargazer7

corsair link had a bug that stopped powering fans. it's fixed now but you're doing it better in fact by taking load off that pump. fan controllers are the best to power fans. they have regulators to push seperate power than mobo or h100

Fourstaff

Staff member
Cooling Stock // Stock
yes its an issue. i had a 780i that lasted 8 months, and it was non ref too. chip ran hot, died then shot the slots. the op has ZERO reason to get an nf200 for cfing two radeons. he could just have bought a regular board and it'd have worked the best. you dont need a bridge chip for two cards. it drops down performance to a non bridge situation from latency. and if you do, get a Lucid for cf. but non bridge is the best for amd setups.

Of course there will be reliability penalty for using an additional component, but given that the board has been purchased we can do little about it.

Connecting a fan to the fan header(s) onboard is fine, but keep an eye on the temp if you are planning to keep fans running at very low rpm. No need to get fancy fan controllers, unless you plan to run enough fans for a typhoon in your case.

As for 2700K, personally I wouldn't be bothered, because usually you don't want to max out the oc on SB i7's just yet, they offer plenty of power at stock already. A few multi bump is more than enough for now. In the future, maybe, but currently money is better spent elsewhere.

stargazer7

Of course there will be reliability penalty for using an additional component, but given that the board has been purchased we can do little about it.

Connecting a fan to the fan header(s) onboard is fine, but keep an eye on the temp if you are planning to keep fans running at very low rpm. No need to get fancy fan controllers, unless you plan to run enough fans for a typhoon in your case.

As for 2700K, personally I wouldn't be bothered, because usually you don't want to max out the oc on SB i7's just yet, they offer plenty of power at stock already. A few multi bump is more than enough for now. In the future, maybe, but currently money is better spent elsewhere.

yeah, i know. just saying..

yes, onboard headers are just fine. but he has a Kaze Master so it's better off offloading them there

and i totally agree on 2700k. he should have gone 2500k, though we cant do something at this point. well hey, he got the fastest one at least. they seem to be doing 5.2 and above. i also thought it'd be the same as 2600k. i think they improved their process.

Truquitos

Well I went with that board because you guys recommend me that board. But now I see a few littl issues with it. Do you think this will be an issue now? I haven't notice nothing yet. I went with the 2700K because I have the money and because I'm not planning to upgrade my machine for a good 2 years at least. Also I have the kaze master pro and it comes with temp readers, so where you think I can place them? Thanks

Truquitos

On the OC part, I just want to bumb my i7 a little and learn how to do it correctly. This is like and experimental machine in some part lol. Also I'm aiming at a decent OC around 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz, dO you think a OC like that will short the life span of my i7?

stargazer7

lol well, shouldnt be that big of an issue. my 780i did suck. those Asrock are some of the strongest options. but i still wouldnt have gotten a board with an nvidia pci expander for CF.

Kaze master is put in a 5.25 inch cd&dvd slot. :)

on OC, it wouldnt shorten the lifespan of your chip. they last for years and you wont push it any hard. you may be able to OC 5ghz+

System Name TheBruise
Processor i7-960
Motherboard Gigabyte x58A -Ud5
Cooling Vantage ALC push pull/2x180mm fans/1x120mm silverstone
Memory 12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) 2 Sapphire Vapor-X 5870's in Xfire
Storage Ocz Vertex 3 Max Iops (OS) 300GB Velociraptor, 750 GB WD Black
Display(s) Asus 23" VS238H-P
Case Silverstone Ft01-BW Fortress
Audio Device(s) Creative X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair HX-850
Software W7pro SP1
Kaze master is put in a 5.25 inch cd&dvd slot.

I think he meant where to put the temp leads, not the unit itself...:rolleyes: I kinda have the samequestion, as i am unsure how to mount the temp probes in my build..otherwise I would have answered. No threadjack here though! Subbed

Truquitos

I think he meant where to put the temp leads, not the unit itself...:rolleyes: I kinda have the samequestion, as i am unsure how to mount the temp probes in my build..otherwise I would have answered. No threadjack here though! Subbed

yes, that is correct!