• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows XP Home Licence...

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let me see if I am understanding your post correctly and please feel free to correct any mis-understanding I may have.

Correct, i have a XP key off my dads old dell laptop that has been used many times on many different machines with out issue, just gotta take your time and spread out the activations as they only give you 3 times to do it in 3 months. It doesn't matter if its OEM or what it will activate on any hardware.

If it is a retail copy it is ok, but not an OEM copy. See the license info in my post above.
Activating it and being legal are to different things. It may activate, but are you using it legally per the license, should be the question.

I hate to tell ya but it isnt, ive already rang MS about this with another computer i had here long ago about changing the mobo as it died and they said NO the serial is locked to that mobo so there for it is now canceled. and they did If i was to change ram or CPU etc it be fine, but soon as i said mobo they said NO.

Now, you are going to tell someone they are wrong... and, you stated previously you may be doing the same.:wtf:
You are right in that it may not be transfered to a new machine per the (OEM) license, but you may replace the board per the license and replace any or all of the other parts and components, as it is tied to the MB.

As people have said before go to a junk yard or something and find an old case with a sticker on it, then ya good to go. Or go to your local shops/store whatever that run XP and have the computer on the desk, get ya camera phone set it near the sticker, distract the lady at the counter, take a pic, to easy lol < i dont recommend that one but:laugh:

And, you are going to hint at something, even in jest, that may be illegal and at the very least unethical.:shadedshu

This thread needs closing. It is bordering on illegal activities.

From the Guidelines:Threads that should/will be closed
Threads that request forums to participate in something illegal. For example, we will not tolerate threads requesting how to pirate Windows, where to buy marijuana, how to compromise a PC, etc.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I hate to tell ya but it isnt, ive already rang MS about this with another computer i had here long ago about changing the mobo as it died and they said NO the serial is locked to that mobo so there for it is now canceled. and they did :ohwell: If i was to change ram or CPU etc it be fine, but soon as i said mobo they said NO.

As people have said before go to a junk yard or something and find an old case with a sticker on it, then ya good to go. Or go to your local shops/store whatever that run XP and have the computer on the desk, get ya camera phone set it near the sticker, distract the lady at the counter, take a pic, to easy lol < i dont recommend that one but :laugh:

I hate to tell you this, but I actually read the EULA, as Viper already posted before you posted, the EULA and Microsoft both say that you can replace the motherboard. Now I'm not exactly replacing the motherboard with an equivalent model, so it might be slightly out of the license, but I think it is close enough for the OP's needs. Especially since the license hasn't been active in years.

System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
Let me see if I am understanding your post correctly and please feel free to correct any mis-understanding I may have.

If it is a retail copy it is ok, but not an OEM copy. See the license info in my post above.
Activating it and being legal are to different things. It may activate, but are you using it legally per the license, should be the question.

This is for my own personal use, and im just stating the fact it can be used on any machine regardless if its a OEM or not, thats all im saying.

Now, you are going to tell someone they are wrong... and, you stated previously you may be doing the same.:wtf:
You are right in that it may not be transfered to a new machine per the (OEM) license, but you may replace the board per the license and replace any or all of the other parts and components, as it is tied to the MB.

Like i said before im just saying it "can" be done and the key will work thats all, but like i also said when i rang up Microsoft and said im replacing the board (for a customers computer) they said NO straight away. So i dont know why they would post that on there site and say different on the phone? can anyone explain that to me?

And, you are going to hint at something, even in jest, that may be illegal and at the very least unethical.:shadedshu

Threads that request forums to participate in something illegal. For example, we will not tolerate threads requesting how to pirate Windows, where to buy marijuana, how to compromise a PC, etc.

Once again im only giving an example regardless what it means, and if you read it i said its not a good idea. This is what ive heard others have done, not me personally.

If you work at a computer store then you will know that the amount of illegal stuff that's done behind the counter you would shit ya self.

I hate to tell you this, but I actually read the EULA, as Viper already posted before you posted, the EULA and Microsoft both say that you can replace the motherboard. Now I'm not exactly replacing the motherboard with an equivalent model, so it might be slightly out of the license, but I think it is close enough for the OP's needs. Especially since the license hasn't been active in years.

Well i don't know why they would have 2 different answers for that as i said i rang them on the phone and said im replacing the board on this computer its got a legit serial etc and she said NO and canceled it there and then, so if you can explain why they did it that be great?

System Name Akame
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.5Ghz /// (Stock)
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VI HERO Intel Z87 Socket 1150
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Memory 16Gb (4x4Gb) /// G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC GAMING ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 Gen1
Power Supply Corsair AX760W Full Modular 80+ Platinum
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Keyboard AFX MK0217 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit

95Viper, as much as I appreciate your help and input on this thread aswell, since you don't have to reply to any given person, I think you're jumping the gun abit here mate... No one here, especially myself, are that far into illegal activities. I certainly haven't requested that anyone participates in something illegal. As this thread is concerning Windows, I definitely don't want to endorse piracy. From the first post I made here, I made that part clear. So for you to wave that flag is a little bit unfair, don't you think?

I'd like a moderator to answer this and let me know if it is worth closing? I personally don't think it is but I could be wrong, I just think that you, 95Viper, are a little too trigger happy on this thread maybe? I will appologise now though if I am wrong and the moderators state this thread should be closed.

As for the debate with Melvis, he was merely confirming that OEM licenses can be reactivated on different setups, as Frick asked for confirmation on this.

Would be nice if someone else could comment on that, as confirmation.

--Lee

System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
Last edited:

stinger608

Dedicated TPU Cruncher & Folder
System Name Dean Machine/2020 Ryzenfall
Processor Intel 4790K/AMD Ryzen 3700X
Motherboard MSI 1150 Gaming mATX/Gigabyte AORUS ELITE B550
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED/SilverStone AH240 AIO
Memory 16 gigs Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer/16 gigs G.Skill TridentZ NEO DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 1660 Super/Gigabyte GTX 1660
Storage Crucial SSD 256 and 2TB spinner/Dual Samsung 980 Pro M2 NVME 4.0
Display(s) Overlord 27" 2560 x 1440
Case Corsair Air 540
Audio Device(s) On board
Power Supply Seasonic modular 850 watt Platinum/EVGA T2-850 Titanium
Software Windows 10 Pro/Windows 10 Pro
Something to also keep in mind on this subject is that a retail key will not work using a OEM install disk. In order to make a retail key work, one has to have a copy of the retail disk.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Well i don't know why they would have 2 different answers for that as i said i rang them on the phone and said im replacing the board on this computer its got a legit serial etc and she said NO and canceled it there and then, so if you can explain why they did it that be great?

More than likely because the people working for them don't even know the rules, at least not the first level of support. So they just say whatever they want.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
95Viper, as much as I appreciate your help and input on this thread aswell, since you don't have to reply to any given person, I think you're jumping the gun abit here mate... No one here, especially myself, are that far into illegal activities. I certainly haven't requested that anyone participates in something illegal. As this thread is concerning Windows, I definitely don't want to endorse piracy. From the first post I made here, I made that part clear. So for you to wave that flag is a little bit unfair, don't you think?

I'd like a moderator to answer this and let me know if it is worth closing? I personally don't think it is but I could be wrong, I just think that you, 95Viper, are a little too trigger happy on this thread maybe? I will appologise now though if I am wrong and the moderators state this thread should be closed.

As for the debate with Melvis, he was merely confirming that OEM licenses can be reactivated on different setups, as Frick asked for confirmation on this.

--Lee

Israar, my post was not directed at you.

If, you read through the thread and my post, here, and comments made in the other post... references to license/eula violations and/or activities that could be illegal were mentioned.

TPU forum guidelines cover that problem. And, I am assuming, it is, probably, for a very good reason.

I stated my opinion, and, that is, when someone posts something that, may be or is, illegal then the thread needs closing (if it is getting that far off into those, possibly, illegal areas) or the person/persons need to be warned not to go there.

I hope a mod does make the decision... As I stated, I gave my opinion.
It was not a finger pointing or flag waving at anyone in particular, just an expression of a thread going off direction. I could have, at the time of the post, just hit the report button, I did not. I was hoping the thread would get back on track by itself.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
I'd like a moderator to answer this and let me know if it is worth closing?

i'll allow it.

not enough people understand microsoft's terms of use, even microsoft.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
i'll allow it.

Yep, and I'll give s simple summary for anyone that is still confused.

Retail License:

• Supported by Microsoft
  • Can only be running on 1 machine per license
  • Can be transferred from one machine to another as long as it is removed from the old machine first

OEM License:

• Supported by the whoever installs it
  • Bound to the motherboard it is originally installed on
  • The motherboard can only be changed in the event of a motherboard failure, and then the replacement motherboard must be the same model or an equivalent model

Upgrade License:

• Support is bound by the license of the version you are upgrading from
  • Can be transferred from one PC to another as long as it is uninstalled from the previous computer first
  • When transferred support is bound by the license of the version you are upgrading from on the new machine

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Upgrade License:

• Bound by the license of the version you are upgraded from

I'm not sure about this, when I was at MS support everyone there said that an upgrade equals retails. That's what we told customers as well, and we helped people with installing upgrades from scratch as well.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
I think i have a couple of old Technet Vista Keys bashing about somewhere. PM me if u want one, i have no idea how well it would work tho, i upgraded to windows 7 a while ago

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I'm not sure about this, when I was at MS support everyone there said that an upgrade equals retails. That's what we told customers as well, and we helped people with installing upgrades from scratch as well.

Yeah, I clarified that a little. I meant that the previous license applies for who supports it. If you upgrade from an OEM version, Microsoft won't provide support for the upgrade(though they often do).

However, it can be transferred like a retail copy.

D

Deleted member 67555

OEM License:
[*]Bound to the motherboard it is originally installed on
That isn't true for every version of Windows, such as XP Vista and 7 *Except for OEM's such as DELL, HP etc...etc... as their license is a Bulk order Purchase*
**Unless it is for repair reason and is being transferred to another Motherboard of the same model**

OEM versions purchased by the end user can transfer their copy to another PC as long as it has been disarmed by calling the Microsoft Activation Service while activating it on another PC...

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
First, thanks 'Viper for posting the licensing information. It's always nice to have it in a thread such as this as many people do not know where they stand when it comes to MS licensing.

Second, I've NEVER had a problem getting an OEM license (which I purchased) reactivated by Microsoft for any reason as long as I assured them it was only being used on a single computer. When I completely upgraded my system (everything but the case and PS) I simply told them that the old computer no longer exists (which technically is true). They happily reactivated it, a phone call which took all of about 2 minutes.

Third, I'm good with this thread too. I honestly don't think that MS is so concerned about the OEM builders who want to reactivate a license or two. They can easily check to see if you are trying to reactivate a license from a MEGA-OEM™ for use on another computer and that they don't want.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
That isn't true for every version of Windows, such as XP Vista and 7 *Except for OEM's such as DELL, HP etc...etc... as their license is a Bulk order Purchase*
**Unless it is for repair reason and is being transferred to another Motherboard of the same model**

OEM versions purchased by the end user can transfer their copy to another PC as long as it has been disarmed by calling the Microsoft Activation Service while activating it on another PC...

Yes it is true, even if Microsoft doesn't abide by it, that is how it is. If the end user is buying OEM licenses, they are still bound by the OEM requirement to be bound to the motherboard they are installed with originally. The EULA is the same for everyone.

First, thanks 'Viper for posting the licensing information. It's always nice to have it in a thread such as this as many people do not know where they stand when it comes to MS licensing.

Second, I've NEVER had a problem getting an OEM license (which I purchased) reactivated by Microsoft for any reason as long as I assured them it was only being used on a single computer. When I completely upgraded my system (everything but the case and PS) I simply told them that the old computer no longer exists (which technically is true). They happily reactivated it, a phone call which took all of about 2 minutes.

Third, I'm good with this thread too. I honestly don't think that MS is so concerned about the OEM builders who want to reactivate a license or two. They can easily check to see if you are trying to reactivate a license from a MEGA-OEM™ for use on another computer and that they don't want.

Yeah, I just stated the technical rules, as I said earlier they are really lax on the issue.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
System Name Juliette // HTPC
Processor Intel i7 9700K // AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard ASUS Prime Z390X-A // ASRock B550 ITX-AC
Cooling Noctua NH-U12 Black // Stock
Memory Corsair DDR4 3600 32gb //G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3600
Video Card(s) ASUS RTX4070 OC// GTX 1650
Storage Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1Tb, Intel 665p Series M.2 2280 1TB // Samsung 1Tb SSD
Display(s) ASUS VP348QGL 34" Quad HD 3440 x 1440 // 55" LG 4K SK8000 Series
Case Seasonic SYNCRO Q7// Silverstone Granada GD05
Audio Device(s) Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 // HDMI to Samsung HW-R650 sound bar
Power Supply Seasonic SYNCRO 750 W // CORSAIR Vengeance 650M
Mouse Cooler Master MM710 53G
Keyboard Logitech 920-009300 G512 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro // Windows 10 Pro
System Name Night Rider | Mini LAN PC | Workhorse
Processor AMD R7 5800X3D | Ryzen 1600X | i7 970
Motherboard MSi AM4 Pro Carbon | GA- | Gigabyte EX58-UD5
Cooling Noctua U9S Twin Fan| Stock Cooler, Copper Core)| Big shairkan B
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 G.Skill Ripjaws 3600MHz| 2x8GB Corsair 3000 | 6x2GB DDR3 1300 Corsair
Video Card(s) MSI AMD 6750XT | 6500XT | MSI RX 580 8GB
Storage 1TB WD Black NVME / 250GB SSD /2TB WD Black | 500GB SSD WD, 2x1TB, 1x750 | WD 500 SSD/Seagate 320
Display(s) LG 27" 1440P| Samsung 20" S20C300L/DELL 15" | 22" DELL/19"DELL
Case LIAN LI PC-18 | Mini ATX Case (custom) | Atrix C4 9001
Audio Device(s) Onboard | Onbaord | Onboard
Power Supply Silverstone 850 | Silverstone Mini 450W | Corsair CX-750
Mouse Coolermaster Pro | Rapoo V900 | Gigabyte 6850X
Keyboard MAX Keyboard Nighthawk X8 | Creative Fatal1ty eluminx | Some POS Logitech
Software Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 10 Pro 64 | Windows 7 Pro 64/Windows 10 Home
More than likely because the people working for them don't even know the rules, at least not the first level of support. So they just say whatever they want.

Morons, Next time ill just send them the bill :shadedshu

System Name Akame
Processor Intel® Core™ i7-4770K 3.5Ghz /// (Stock)
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus VI HERO Intel Z87 Socket 1150
Cooling Stock Air Cooler
Memory 16Gb (4x4Gb) /// G Skill PC3-19200 DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC GAMING ACX 2.0
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB (OS) /// Samsung 840 EVO 250GB /// Western Digital Caviar 1TB Green SATAIII
Display(s) Asus 22-inch VH226H Widescreen LCD Monitor (2ms, 3000:1, 1920x1080) Full HD
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Astro A50 Gen1
Power Supply Corsair AX760W Full Modular 80+ Platinum
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO
Keyboard AFX MK0217 Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Thanks for clarifying that 95Viper :)

Again thank you for all the help and information given in this thread, as always I appreciate any help given to me, due to the fact that everyone deserves to know that their input is always valued by myself :)

Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to try anything, due to the fact that when I got chance to start on it, the motherboard turned out to be faulty, so my brothers friend needs to buy a new motherboard, although he said to save himself some trouble he will go and buy himself a better PC, gives him a reason to "upgrade" :)

All who PM'd me will be replied to as always, I don't leave anyone out! :)

:toast: for all the help and information! Big smiles to the lot of you! :)

--Lee

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I've NEVER had a problem getting an OEM license (which I purchased) reactivated by Microsoft for any reason as long as I assured them it was only being used on a single computer. When I completely upgraded my system (everything but the case and PS) I simply told them that the old computer no longer exists (which technically is true). They happily reactivated it, a phone call which took all of about 2 minutes.

THIS!^

I have Windows XP COA licenses from some of my dead laptops and a couple of Windows 7's and all have been activated more times I can count by MS themselves with no hassle. If they did not want them to be reactivated on other hardware then it should show when you activate it again or call them to reactivate.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
THIS!^

I have Windows XP COA licenses from some of my dead laptops and a couple of Windows 7's and all have been activated more times I can count by MS themselves with no hassle. If they did not want them to be reactivated on other hardware then it should show when you activate it again or call them to reactivate.

That is faulty logic. If they wanted it to be ok for you to reactivate on different hardware they wouldn't put the wording in the EULA forbidding it.

It is against the law to speed, but I drive by cops speeding all the time, many times they are doing radar watching me speed. The cops are just to lazy to enforce the law, that doesn't mean the lawmakers didn't mind me speeding.

In this Microsoft has built in a leeway to make the process smoother for the end user. But trust me, you re-activate the key enough times on enough different computers in short enough time, and they will black-list your key. I've had it done.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Hmm I have not had a key black listed yet but I dont activate it often and ONLY on 1 hardware at a time.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
i'll allow it.

LOL, it's totally a grey area.

My story: An OEM COA from a dead Dell laptop moved to a PC. Couldn't activate and called M$. After being asked a few questions, they said I was all set and sure enough, I was good to go. I simply explained that I had upgraded the PC.

You can also buy COA tags on eBay (at least you could), as long as it was attached to a peice of hardware. For instance, the battery cover that it was originally stuck to :laugh:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
That is faulty logic. If they wanted it to be ok for you to reactivate on different hardware they wouldn't put the wording in the EULA forbidding it.

It is against the law to speed, but I drive by cops speeding all the time, many times they are doing radar watching me speed. The cops are just to lazy to enforce the law, that doesn't mean the lawmakers didn't mind me speeding.

In this Microsoft has built in a leeway to make the process smoother for the end user. But trust me, you re-activate the key enough times on enough different computers in short enough time, and they will black-list your key. I've had it done.

I wonder what their threshold criteria is? lol

I'm sure that they look at the disparity of IP addresses too. Imagine if it gets activated in the UK, then 2 hours later in the USA and then 10 minutes later in Italy, that's a sure sign of a warezed key.