• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

AMD OC Record Broken, Still Powered by AMD FX-8150

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
but its a semi pentium 4 slow un efficient u may call it that way :D
i.e. desined to run at highest chocks possible without taking in mind the ipc :D that was the p 4 and now the bulldozer

Well this chip technically is not inefficient, it is not as efficient as the Intel offerings. It is however still a better CPU than the previous generations in certain aspects. IPC on these chips is still 4 the same as the intel offerings and up from 3 on the old chips and 2 on P4 "netburst".

It isn't a Bulldozer thread per se since we're talking about a 2-core, 2-threads CPU from AMD (which doesn't exist under the "Bulldozer" lineup).

No that little box still says "Bulldozer" the core is still a bulldozer core. This isn't any different than a rebadged Sargus core which is really just a Regor core tuned down.

And also don't forget this is on LN2 and not LHE ;) I think 9GHz is close :)

You would be surprised how little gains they get from LN2 to LHe we will see larger gains moving from stepping to stepping as fab techniques improve. The same way the last batches of Phenom 1 clocked better and the last batches of Phenom II clocked better.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
It's definitely skill. And there is a a lot more knowledge and experience involved than the uninitiated is like to think, starting with knowing how not to kill your hardware from any number of things from condensation to too much voltage.

I do not agree 100%. Current motherboard technology takes alot of the guesswork out of it.

You can kill chips on air easy enough. The biggest thing in the past was that you needed to know how to OCP mod most boards, and had to know how to recognize coldbug, and how to get even the memory contorller to work right, by adjusting drive strengths and such. That means that to get the best results, you needed not to have real knowledge, other than knowing what parts to buy. And there are literally only a few guys out there that gave out this info in the first place, and the rest simply did what they were told works. If you are not friends with someone in the know...you're wasting your time.

Insulation and such is a given. But I hardly see that as a skill.

The big thing for me, is that I cannot call something that people do not share with others as a skill. It's a SECRET...and there are many SECRETs in the Extreme scene. that closed community, and the secrets that surround it, is what has me think it's a waste of time, marketing-wise.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I do not agree 100%. Current motherboard technology takes alot of the guesswork out of it.

You can kill chips on air easy enough. The biggest thing in the past was that you needed to know how to OCP mod most boards, and had to know how to recognize coldbug, and how to get even the memory contorller to work right, by adjusting drive strengths and such. That means that to get the best results, you needed not to have real knowledge, other than knowing what parts to buy. And there are literally only a few guys out there that gave out this info in the first place, and the rest simply did what they were told works. If you are not friends with someone in the know...you're wasting your time.

Insulation and such is a given. But I hardly see that as a skill.

The big thing for me, is that I cannot call something that people do not share with others as a skill. It's a SECRET...and there are many SECRETs in the Extreme scene. that closed community, and the secrets that surround it, is what has me think it's a waste of time, marketing-wise.

While I have not played with BD yet I can still say there is some skill involved with extreme clocks. There is still a lot that plays into any of these chips regardless of Intel or AMD. Simple things like 45nm AMD chips had a 32nm memory controller that would fry the entire chip if you pumped its volts high and left the overall chip volts low. Same sort of thing applies to these there is only so much voltage you can push in certain spots to get them clocked up. A lot of the guesswork and trail and error might be gone with new highend boards, but there is a reason why any Joe Blow with LN2 cannot hit these clocks. Plenty of people with money buy the best of the best parts and can't break into the top 10 clocks done by guys who know what they are doing.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I agree, CDA, but the fact that it's always the same 10-15 guys is stupid. ALWAYS. Hasn't really changed at all in the past 10 years. Few new guys, sure.

And to me, figuring this stuff out isn't that hard. Most people, on the other hand, sure...don't even have any idea how to set secondary timings.

I'm not a smart guy, really. if I cna do it, so can near anyone else. Trail and error ain't all that hard, really.

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...
Skill is always apart of Overclocking. We are talking about NB, CPU and Memory OC's, if you can get them at a nice speed with stability, then that is called skill IMO. To achieve this, you take it slow and perform the OC step by step removing all possible limiting factors such as keep memory speed and NB speed at stock, take your CPU step by step as high as you can. Find the max or close to it. Then put the CPU back to stock, and try upping the NB speed until you can at least get close to your CPU speed. When you have that, then keep everythign on stock, and play around with your memory speed and find it's max, then drop it down a little to certify stability.

That said, if you find you run into stability issues, bump the voltage a little and continue.

What I noticed in my past with both AMD and Intel CPU's is if you rush with the OC too fast and you don't take her up slowly, for some reason you end up with a higher vCore and at a lower OC speed.

Sure today's hardware make it easy to OC, along with auto OC options, though I would be against this IMO unless AMD/Intel implimented something in the CPU hardware that will not mess up the true potencial for a good stable OC by moving too fast to achieve it.

JMOP :)

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
It's not skill that makes an OCer these days, it's knowledge.

Back when you had to mod and solder on your board to extreme clock there was skill involved. Not these days. Typing in the proper voltages and frequencies does not require skill at all. A trained monkey can do that. It does, however, require knowledge to choose the proper settings.

Am*

System Name 3D Vision & Sound Blaster
Processor Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz (stock voltage)
Motherboard Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3
Cooling Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E Special Edition (with 3x 140mm Black Thermalright fans)
Memory Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB (2x8GB 1600MHz CL8)
Video Card(s) Nvidia GTX TITAN X 12288MB Maxwell @1350MHz
Storage 6TB of Samsung SSDs + 12TB of HDDs
Display(s) LG C1 48 + LG 38UC99 + Samsung S34E790C + BenQ XL2420T + PHILIPS 231C5TJKFU
Case Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed with 6x 140mm Corsair AFs
Audio Device(s) Creative SoundBlaster Z SE + Z906 5.1 speakers/DT 990 PRO
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX 650W 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard CHERRY MX-Board 1.0 Backlit Silent Red Keyboard
Software Windows 7 Pro (RIP) + Winbloat 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 2fast4u,bro...
Invalid claim is invalid. Unless it's running all the cores of the 8150, it's not setting any records for the chip, which has serious trouble being bench-stable past 4.6GHz with all cores active. AMD's marketing department is taking the piss here once again. Also these records really aren't impressive, considering people were hitting 8GHz+ on inefficient Pentium 4 65nm/90nm architecture chips back in the day, without turning off any parts of the CPU.

In other news, performance records still powered by Intel CPUs...

Last edited:
System Name Desktop
Processor Intel Xeon E5-1680v2
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth X79
Cooling Intel AIO
Memory 8x4GB DDR3 1866MHz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 970 SC
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB + 2x WD RE 4TB HDD
Display(s) HP ZR24w
Case Fractal Define XL Black
Audio Device(s) Schiit Modi Uber/Sony CDP-XA20ES/Pioneer CT-656>Sony TA-F630ESD>Sennheiser HD600
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Invalid claim is invalid. Unless it's running all the cores of the 8150, it's not setting any records for the chip, which has serious trouble being bench-stable past 4.6GHz with all cores active. AMD's marketing department is taking the piss here once again. Also these records really aren't impressive, considering people were hitting 8GHz+ on inefficient Pentium 4 65nm/90nm architecture chips back in the day, without turning off any parts of the CPU.

In other news, performance records still powered by Intel CPUs...

This isn't really AMD marketing.
If those Pentiums had 2 cores they would disable them. In fact they did disable HT so you are incorrect. http://hwbot.org/submission/592402_theking_cpu_frequency_pentium_4_631_8179.89_mhz

And yes the FX can run all 8 with 8GHz:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...8-AMD-Bulldozer-FX-8150P-BE-8GHz-Super-PI-1M&

And also this is a FREQUENCY record where you are after highest frequency possible by any means necessary. It's not about how well does the CPU perform.
It's the same thing if you are after a memory speed record and you run it with a low budgte GPU and people would say, that doesn't prove anything because you can't do anything with it...

I see that people have serious problems understanding world records. They aren't set with normal stuff.
For example is the world land speed record set by a Renault Clio? Not really...

HTC

System Name HTC's System
Processor Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Asrock Taichi X370
Cooling NH-C14, with the AM4 mounting kit
Memory G.Skill Kit 16GB DDR4 F4 - 3200 C16D - 16 GTZB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 480 OC 4 GB
Storage 1 Samsung NVMe 960 EVO 250 GB + 1 3.5" Seagate IronWolf Pro 6TB 7200RPM 256MB SATA III
Display(s) LG 27UD58
Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair TX 850M 80+ Gold
Mouse Razer Deathadder Elite
Software Ubuntu 19.04 LTS
This isn't really AMD marketing.
If those Pentiums had 2 cores they would disable them. In fact they did disable HT so you are incorrect. http://hwbot.org/submission/592402_theking_cpu_frequency_pentium_4_631_8179.89_mhz

And yes the FX can run all 8 with 8GHz:

http://cfile7.uf.tistory.com/original/172E473A4E9661F42C0797

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...8-AMD-Bulldozer-FX-8150P-BE-8GHz-Super-PI-1M&

And also this is a FREQUENCY record where you are after highest frequency possible by any means necessary. It's not about how well does the CPU perform.
It's the same thing if you are after a memory speed record and you run it with a low budgte GPU and people would say, that doesn't prove anything because you can't do anything with it...

I see that people have serious problems understanding world records. They aren't set with normal stuff.
For example is the world land speed record set by a Renault Clio? Not really...

That's quite impressive, IMO.

For those that complain about how bad superpi is, look @ this:

And its more simillarz results-ussually big improvement in photoshop, 3DCAD, practice compression decompression, microsoft office working, megatasking
I thought, if we are at XS, we are not stupid live only in superpi benchmarks etc, but we know also something about real performance of new products....

Taken from here (modified a bit because it's a big post): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-Super-PI-1M&p=4974762&viewfull=1#post4974762

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL

Taken from here (modified a bit because it's a big post): http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-Super-PI-1M&p=4974762&viewfull=1#post4974762

An i7 920 seems to be as good as the bulldozer clock for clock. Also note that these comparisons are hardly fair, as many i5 2500K or i7 2600K are being rung at 4.8Ghz +, while Bulldozer is, AFAIK, ran at 4.4Ghz+. Even if it is 4.6Ghz +, the Bulldozer does not reach LGA 1155 in OCing on Aircooling, yet in the benchmarks the Bulldozer is clocked higher

Now bench again with typical OCs like i7 920 @ 4Ghz, and the result will be much better for intel, who usually leave a much greater room for OC

System Name RiseZEN Gaming PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ Auto
Motherboard Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i Elite Capellix AIO, 280mm Radiator, Dual RGB 140mm ML Series PWM Fans
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) ASUS DUAL RX 6700 XT DUAL-RX6700XT-12G
Storage Corsair Force MP500 480GB M.2 & MP510 480GB M.2 - 2 x WD_BLACK 1TB SN850X NVMe 1TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix 34” XG349C 180Hz 1440p + Asus ROG 27" MG278Q 144Hz WQHD 1440p
Case Corsair Obsidian Series 450D Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) SteelSeries 5Hv2 w/ Sound Blaster Z SE
Power Supply Corsair RM750x Power Supply
Mouse Razer Death-Adder + Viper 8K HZ Ambidextrous Gaming Mouse - Ergonomic Left Hand Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64-Bit Edition
Benchmark Scores I'm the Doctor, Doctor Who. The Definition of Gaming is PC Gaming...

Well this explains 3 issues one being Bulldozer requires minor modifications for better overall performance in both single and multi threaded. Two being current benchmarks are not properly optimised for Bulldozer's design structure. IMO it's like trying to ram a 454 big block into a super tiny electric car. Does not work this way. The third being 4P/4T greatly outperforms 2P/4T by a lot especially with the software not being properly optimized.

Looking at all these latest findings, AMD's upcoming B3 revision is going to really be interesting.