• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Steam Hack More Severe Than Thought: Change Your Password NOW

J

John Doe

I'm curious... for what reason would they want people to make new accounts?

Erm, bucks? New games bought = more money for them.

But WHO would make new accounts? noone... Who in the world would abandon their Steam account for this and not just change their password etc?

There will always be some. If someone can't access his account, he might think his account in hacked in this period. Before he can login back, he might just open a new account and buy a few games.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

There will always be some. If someone can't access his account, he might think his account in hacked in this period. Before he can login back, he might just open a new account and buy a few games.

Yeah, there will be some, but they'd be real dumbasses to do that. :laugh: I don't think there would be very many who would do this.

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
i highly doubt enough people to be noticeable would just create new accounts and buy new games. that's a thin theory with nothing really backing it. sorry.

J

John Doe

i highly doubt enough people to be noticeable would just create new accounts and buy new games. that's a thin theory with nothing really backing it. sorry.

It's not. Say you can't login for a few days, and want to play your favourite game. You'd think your account may be hacked, then open a new one to just buy that game and play it. Afterwards, it wouldn't matter you login back to your old account or not. There you bought it, and you don't have to be stupid to do that either. On an online system like this, these kind of things happen. So why not write off a paragraph that will be forgotten if it'll land you more money? (regardless of it's amount)

Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
but to say it's an elaborate scheme for that reason is far fetched. i'm not saying it never happens, i'm saying there is no way it happens as much as you are implying, and i in no way believe Valve is doing this on purpose. and i am the conspiracy guy among friends, i just don't see it. there is no way i would just accept my account is gone and start a new one, and anyone with more than 3 games i'd bet would be the same.

J

John Doe

Steam is a huge network, so I wouldn't just think of myself. Not everyone buys everything off Steam. I don't integrate my games to it (after my past experiences) like having to wait for an update or it not booting. I buy games outside of Steam, and just because you keep them all under one account, doesn't mean everyone else does. In fact, most people I see on the community have a few games tied to their account. It's not wrong to think of it that way.

right but that still says nothing about the likelihood of gabe newell lying to everyone to create a few accounts and sell a few games. it's just ridiculously unlikely in my mind. i'll leave it there as this won't head anywhere good i don't think.

J

John Doe

He lied about HL2's code being stolen (notting came out of it) to delay the game. They messed up TF2, worked on other games and didn't care for HL2: DM/CS:S updates etc. for years. They're a company, and companies aren't after you, they're after your money. So it's not unlikely to think he may slip this near the hacking of forum. VALVe screwed up a lot of stuff in past, and they did on purpose.

It shouldn't even be legal for a website to store your credit card information once an order has been processed.

System Name Old Fart / Young Dude
Processor 2500K / 6600K
Motherboard ASRock P67Extreme4 / Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 DDR3
Cooling CM Hyper TX3 / CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 16 GB Kingston HyperX / 16 GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti / INNO3D RTX 2060
Storage SSD, some WD and lots of Samsungs
Display(s) BenQ GW2470 / LG UHD 43" TV
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced / Thermaltake Core v31
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1/Denon PMA500AE/Wharfedale D 10.1/ FiiO D03K/ JBL LSR 305
Power Supply Corsair TX650 / Corsair TX650M
Mouse Steelseries Rival 100 / Rival 110
Keyboard Sidewinder/ Steelseries Apex 150
Software Windows 10 / Windows 10 Pro
No message from Gabe for me. I don't plan to change my password, got my account hacked once and got it back to work in a few days thanks to Gabe's boys so I'm not too worried. Oh, and my card is debit and most of the time the account is empty.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
VALVe screwed up a lot of stuff in past, and they did on purpose.

Oh PLEASE. :shadedshu

I think you need a new tin foil hat.

J

John Doe

Oh PLEASE. :shadedshu

I think you need a new tin foil hat.

They knew AVP was going to break CS:S, regardless, they did it. They knew porting the game to new engine would disable some console commands and bhopping, still, they did it. Then they fixed what they broke after what has happened.

I think you need to posses some brain before you resort to a cheap attack, but at this rate I've no reason to believe you do. ;)

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
If you honestly think Valve-the shining example of how to be a great game developer, have a revolutionary business model, provide fantastic and honest customer service, give cool little gifts and do cool favors for many people that have emailed them with problems and such (Gabe and others) AND make a shit ton of money to boot-did this on purpose then you are the one who needs to "posses some brain".

And the reason you state above doesn't even make any sense offhand (at least as related to allowing a hack or whatever it is you are claiming exactly) though regardless it's laughable if that's the best you can do with the likes of Activision, EA and Ubisoft in the industry. You know, publishers/devs who actually DO screw over their customers and deserve such ire...

Last edited:
J

John Doe

If you honestly think Valve-the shining example of how to be a great game developer, have a revolutionary business model, provide fantastic and honest customer service, give cool little gifts and do cool favors for many people that have emailed them (Gabe and others) AND make a shit ton of money to boot-did this on purpose then you are the one who needs to "posses some brain".

I'd call you a name but anyway, you certainly haven't used Steam as long as I did. Haven't gotten nailed on unworking software, messed up games and so on. But then again, those are mostly a thing of past. However I'll let those "fantastic and honest" customer service slip through. Good day sir.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Video Card(s) Powercolor PCS+ 5870
Storage Samsung SpinPoint F3 1 TB
Display(s) Samsung LE-B530 37" TV
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Thermaltake Toughpower 700w
Software Windows 7 64-bit
They knew AVP was going to break CS:S, regardless, they did it. They knew porting the game to new engine would disable some console commands and bhopping, still, they did it. Then they fixed what they broke after what has happened.

I think you need to posses some brain before you resort to a cheap attack, but at this rate I've no reason to believe you do. ;)

John, as a firm advocate of conspiracy theories, a harsh critic of DRM and someone who was reticent when it came to using Steam for the first time, simply this: no.

J

John Doe

John, as a firm advocate of conspiracy theories, a harsh critic of DRM and someone who was reticent when it came to using Steam for the first time, simply this: no.

There's no "yes" or "no" to any of the statements made here. The situation is closed, so all we can do is to speculate over it.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
There's no "yes" or "no" to any of the statements made here. The situation is closed, so all we can do is to speculate over it.

That's merely speculation.

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Software Windows 8.1 x64
I'd call you a name but anyway, you certainly haven't used Steam as long as I did. Haven't gotten nailed on unworking software, messed up games and so on. But then again, those are mostly a thing of past. However I'll let those "fantastic and honest" customer service slip through. Good day sir.

Since Day ONE. When it sucked. Sounds like you just need some better computer skills.

J

John Doe

Since Day ONE. When it sucked. Sounds like you just need some better computer skills.

Says the guy who calls Automatic Weapon Pricing and bunnyhops "hacks or whatever". Oh well.

That's merely speculation.

Did I call YOUR post speculation? I said WE can only speculate over this. Since we don't have access to VALVe's content/master server, right? All you said was "no". So yes, your post wasn't speculation. It was just "opinion".

Coreinsanity

Steam is a huge network, so I wouldn't just think of myself. Not everyone buys everything off Steam. I don't integrate my games to it (after my past experiences) like having to wait for an update or it not booting. I buy games outside of Steam, and just because you keep them all under one account, doesn't mean everyone else does. In fact, most people I see on the community have a few games tied to their account. It's not wrong to think of it that way.

That's still a pretty lacking reason.

First off, the number of people who would remake their account and purchase all of their stuff again is small, if not non-existant. It's much more likely those people will go to steam and get their account sorted out if they can't access it. Furthermore, they said the hackers had access to the database that contained your credit card information. Though encrypted, It's much more likely more people will delete their CC off of steam and leave steam because their CC information was exposed than it is for people to buy all their games again. "Hey, this company screwed up and got my CC information exposed, I'm going to buy crap from them again. They obviously deserve my money still" - Yeah, I'm not seeing it.

This isn't a publicity thing to get people, if anything this is a deterrent to using steam. I know what encryption is, and how their service works. I'm not worried, my information is one of millions and millions of users. But the less computer-savvy people out there might look at this and leave because they don't understand what's going on.

The fact that this information was exposed at all is bad and shouldn't be taken lightly. While I wouldn't up and cancel your CC just yet (Though I can't blame you if you do), I would watch your statement and news on this event to keep up to date.

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit

Who would open a new account based on the press that someone just hacked into the company you're considering buying from?? :wtf:

I think it's a pretty far stretch to think that the company was hacked, so the leaders decided to issue a press release saying that the hacking was WORSE than it really was, on the possibility that some user somewhere might be inclined to open a new account to replace his (money spent!!!) games, instead of just trying his password again, or resetting it with the provided tool, or even contacting Steam.... It could happen.... And Bobby Kotick could sell Blizz back to the employees, and Blizz and Bethesda could merge to form a Mega-ultra-Gaming Monolith called "Blizzthesda".... hmmm... liking the sound of that more and more...

:slap:

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
Did I call YOUR post speculation?

You did not.

I said WE can only speculate over this.

This appears to be correct, certainly in relation to the "we", but again, it may be just speculation on your part.

Since we don't have access to VALVe's content/master server, right?

There may be employees amongst us, it isn't safe here, I think it's Wrigley.

All you said was "no".

Ah, but it was a poignant no, a call to haul you back from the very precipice of collapse.

So yes, your post wasn't speculation. It was just "opinion".

in your opinion.

J

John Doe

First off, the number of people who would remake their account and purchase all of their stuff again is small, if not non-existant. It's much more likely those people will go to steam and get their account sorted out if they can't access it. Furthermore, they said the hackers had access to the database that contained your credit card information. Though encrypted, It's much more likely more people will delete their CC off of steam and leave steam because their CC information was exposed than it is for people to buy all their games again. "Hey, this company screwed up and got my CC information exposed, I'm going to buy crap from them again. They obviously deserve my money still" - Yeah, I'm not seeing it.

The fact that this information was exposed at all is bad and shouldn't be taken lightly. While I wouldn't up and cancel your CC just yet (Though I can't blame you if you do), I would watch your statement and news on this event to keep up to date.

First off, I know the so called "hacker"s. They're a bunch of kids that write off CS:S cheat packs (aimbots etc.) that get you VAC banned. The only thing they clearly got into is SPUF. Probably via an exploit. The forum, not Steam. No one has far managed to get into Steam itself, let alone these kids.

As for buying the game again, you don't have to use your CC. You can just buy it off the store and use the key. I'm not concerned about any of this. Even the way Gabe's message is written is cheesy. Like how he's "hacked and truly sorry" about it.

You did not.

This appears to be correct, certainly in relation to the "we", but again, it may be just speculation on your part.

No, it's not. Read back the thread, this has been hashed out endlessly. People speculated like "it must be Anon" and such. Again, I repeat, WE can only speculate since we don't have info from the inside.

There may be employees amongst us, it isn't safe here, I think it's Wrigley.

I think

Ah, but it was a poignant no, a call to haul you back from the very precipice of collapse.

in your opinion.

you're spouting off nonsense to make yourself look right, fatty. You're being silly. Grow up.

Processor Core i7 920
Motherboard Asus P6T v2
Cooling Noctua D-14
Memory OCZ Gold 1600
Case Lian Li PC-B25F
Audio Device(s) N/A
you're coming up with nonsense to make yourself look right, fatty. You're being silly. Grow up.

I am not coming up with nonsense to make myself look right, nor am I fat, although I have no objection to the term fatty. Insofar as being silly, I stand guilty as charged and will spare no effort in endeavouring to grow up. I extend my apologies.

Coreinsanity

First off, I know the so called "hacker"s. They're a bunch of kids that write off CS:S cheat packs (aimbots etc.) that get you VAC banned. The only thing they clearly got into is SPUF. Probably via an exploit. The forum, not Steam. No one has far managed to get into Steam itself, let alone these kids.

As for buying the game again, you don't have to use your CC. You can just buy it off the store and use the key. I'm not concerned about any of this. Even the way Gabe's message is written is cheesy. Like how he's "hacked and truly sorry" about it.

Oh please. It doesn't matter who hacked the forum and whatever other database they managed to get in to. If they got to the CC information, which Valve said they could at least see (note, see, not download), Valve screwed up as far as security goes. That seems like a poor security design on their part if it was tied in any way to the forum or steam profile database directly.

As far as knowing who did it, prove it. Because their advertisement was on the forums? That doesn't mean anything. Some one else could have done it to draw attention to those people as a distraction. You don't know what happened, nor who hacked their database or what they really had access to. Unless, of course, you personally know these hackers? In which case I hope some one comes to question you soon.

I'm not concerned about them getting into "steam", however I think you need to define that term if you're going to continue to use it. The fact is none of us really has any idea how their network is laid out, for all we know they merged the tables containing the forum user data with the account data for some kind of "convenience". We don't know. It seems to me the CC/billing information should be on an internal server that is accessed only when purchasing a game or adding another payment method, and is only accessed through the/an internal steam server acting as a layer to separate the CC information from being directly accessible to the internet (Not some web application tied to a forum created by a third party). Until we know how it's laid out and what layers were broken into, we can't say they didn't get access to it. And to say otherwise is just foolish and and flies in the face of any good consumer security practice. You should be cautious, always. If it turns out to be some false alarm, great, some kids hacked the forum and I don't care. Otherwise, some one at Valve should have their butt on the line for dropping the ball. These companies shouldn't be lacking in security, anywhere.

As for what the CEO says, I have no reason to believe you over him. If he says the encrypted CC information was exposed, why do I have any reason not to believe him? All this does it make negative hype for steam and create a deterrent for using it. Furthermore he didn't say sorry to us because he was hacked, he said sorry because HIS COMPANY (according to his own letter) caused our CC information to be exposed to an unauthorized third party. He was saying sorry to the community for the company failing to do part of it's job, keeping our information secure.

No, you don't have to use a CC to buy a game off of steam. That's not what you said, though. If I went to the store and bought a CD key it kind of defeats your theory of "They are hyping it so valve gets more money from people buying all their games again". Furthermore, I can't think of anyone who would purchase all of their stuff again from a company who screwed up. Seriously, that's some backwards logic. "Oh, their insecure and won't help me get my account back? Sure! I'll buy all my stuff off of your service again" - totally.

Last edited: