• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

SPDTool: Read, Edit and Flash your Memory's SPD

System Name Box of Distraction
Processor Ryzen 7 1800X
Motherboard Crosshair VI Hero
Cooling Custom watercooling
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB @ 3466MHz CL14 1T
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080Ti FE. WC'd & TDP limit increased to 360W.
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500GB & WD Black 2TB storage drive.
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" 1440P 165hz Gsync
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
Audio Device(s) Phillips Fidelio X2 headphones / basic Bose speakers
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750W G3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 6.0 (mx red switches)
Software Win 10 & Linux Mint
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/infrared
Did you mean that it can help with flashing?
Or you mean that I could damage the memory module by ripping it out and putting it back while the PC was on?

Please explain. Thanks in advance.

He was just joking about an earlier post, take no notice! :laugh:

firejet

He was just joking about an earlier post, take no notice! :laugh:

You would joke less, аnd have offered that that efficient !!!:cool:
You think easily here to write,if you from Russia (Moscow), also are used by the on-line translator:nutkick: ?

I do not think, that at me not flashing SPD on 100%, because of application WinXP.
Now actively I study idea that the manufacturer has blocked an opportunity flashing factory data SPD.
My modules of memory - are the last models, and most likely so it and is.
If to appear the information, that the established chip SPD flashRAM - is the reason of all problems, I shall inform.
It tried to be started yesterday from one module of memory, and then, by the included machine, has sharply inserted the second module.
Has then started SPD_Tool_055, and has flashing the inserted second module of memory.
Result - old. Flashing only 128 bytes from 256 possible.:mad:

firejet

Hi All!
In Moscow behind a window temperature - 15, but it does not prevent to work further :rockout:
Already there is a new information on my problem!
We have a good national saying: "The bad head - does not give hands of rest" :D
The used microchip SPDRAM in DIMM modules DDRII of memory - has protection against rewriting.
I have found in the Internet all data on this RAM chip.

CAT34C02
2-Kb I2C EEPROM for DDR2 DIMM Serial Presence Detect

FEATURES

■ Supports Standard and Fast I2C Protocol

■ 1.7 V to 5.5 V Supply Voltage Range

■ 16-Byte Page Write Buffer

■ Hardware Write Protection for entire memory

■ Software Write Protection for lower 128 Bytes

■ Schmitt Triggers and Noise Suppression Filters on I2C Bus Inputs (SCL and SDA).

■ Low power CMOS technology

■ 1,000,000 program/erase cycles

■ 100 year data retention
DEVICE DESCRIPTION

The CAT34C02 is a 2-Kb Serial CMOS EEPROM, internally organized as 16 pages of 16 bytes each, for
a total of 256 bytes of 8 bits each.

It features a 16-byte page write buffer and supports both the Standard (100 kHz) as well as Fast (400 kHz) I2C protocol.

Write operations can be inhibited by taking the WP pin High (this protects the entire memory) or by setting an internal Write Protect flag via Software command (this protects the lower half of the memory).

In addition to Permanent Software Write Protection, the CAT34C02 also features JEDEC compatible Reversible Software Write Protection for DDR2 Serial Presence Detect (SPD) applications operating over the 1.7 V to 3.6 V supply voltage range.
The CAT34C02 is fully backwards compatible with earlier DDR1 SPD applications operating over the
1.7 V to 5.5 V supply voltage range.

firejet

WRITE OPERATIONS

Byte Write
In Byte Write mode the Master sends a START, followed by Slave address, byte address and data to be written
(Figure 5). The Slave acknowledges all 3 bytes, and the Master then follows up with a STOP, which in turn starts the internal Write operation (Figure 6). During internal Write, the Slave will not acknowledge any Read or Write request from the Master.

Page Write
The CAT34C02 contains 256 bytes of data, arranged in 16 pages of 16 bytes each. A page is selected by the
4 most significant bits of the address byte following the Slave address, while the 4 least significant bits point to the byte within the page. Up to 16 bytes can be written in one Write cycle (Figure 7).

The internal byte address counter is automatically in- cremented after each data byte is loaded. If the Master transmits more than 16 data bytes, then earlier bytes will be overwritten by later bytes in a ‘wrap-around’ fashion
(within the selected page). The internal Write cycle starts immediately following the STOP.

Acknowledge Polling
Acknowledge polling can be used to determine if the CAT34C02 is busy writing or is ready to accept com- mands. Polling is implemented by interrogating the device with a ‘Selective Read’ command (see READ OPERATIONS).

The CAT34C02 will not acknowledge the Slave address, as long as internal Write is in progress.

Hardware Write Protection
With the WP pin held HIGH, the entire memory, as well as the SWP flags are protected against Write operations
(Figure 8). If the WP pin is left floating or is grounded, it has no impact on the operation of the CAT34C02

SOFTWARE WRITE PROTECTION
The lower half of memory (first 128 bytes) can be pro- tected against Write operations by setting one of two Software Write Protection (SWP) flags.

The Permanent Software Write Protection (PSWP) flag can be set, but not cleared, by the user. This flag can be set or queried ‘in-system’.

The Reversible Software Write Protection (RSWP) flag can be set or queried and cleared by the user during DDR2 DIMM testing. All RSWP related commands require the presence of a very high voltage - VHV - on address pin A0 and fixed CMOS logic levels on the other two address pins. Thus, for RSWP related commands, the address pins are used to decode the mode, rather than to ‘identify’ the device.

A detailed description of all SWP commands can be found in Table 1. All these commands are preceded by
a START and terminated with a STOP, following the ACK
or NoACK from the CAT34C02.

The first four bits of the Slave address byte must be
0110, in contrast to the regular 1010 ‘preamble’ used for memory Read or Write commands. The next three bits must match the logic state of the three physical address pins. For PSWP commands, the address pins are all at CMOS levels, and any one of the eight possible combinations is valid. For RSWP commands, the A0 pin must be at VHV and will be interpreted as a logic ‘1’. The other two address pins must be at fixed CMOS levels, A2 at GND and A1 at GND for Set RSWP commands and at VCC for Clear RSWP commands. The VHV level must be established on pin A0 before the START and maintained just beyond the STOP.

Commands where the last bit of the Slave address is
‘0’, are similar to a ‘Byte Write’, except that both byte address and data following the Slave address, are ‘don’t care’ (i.e. just place holders) (Figure 12).

Query type commands, where the last bit in the Slave address is ‘1’, are somewhat similar to an’‘Immediate Address Read’, except that no data byte is expected from the device; the ACK or NoACK itself is the response to the query. Therefore, the Master will immediately follow up this response with a STOP (Figure 13).

System Name Enslaver :)
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus
Cooling CPU: Noctua NH-D14 with LED fans, Case: 2 front in - 1 rear out
Memory 2x16GB Kingston Fury Beast RGB 6000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 4070Ti OC
Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Display(s) LG CX OLED 65"
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II Mesh C Performance
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G700
Keyboard ASUS Strix Tactic Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
Hi!

I got 2x 256Mb Mushkin LevelII PC3500 sticks. One of them had other SPD settings 2-2-2-6-(TRRD2)@200Mhz than it should have 2-3-3-7-(TRC12)@217MHz.
I think thats quite unlikely that this mistake with different SPDs happens Mushkin so maybe that is done on purpose for compability issues.
However I used SPDTool to program the right settings into the other sticks SPD and it seems like my PC is starting right away now (Had to boot several times before when cold starting the PC - that can kill systems)

yarasa112

almost dead rams

i tried that tool.guess what my 1 dim ram is dead.when i put modded dim system doest boot.i worked 3 hours and found solution .i boot with working 1 dim.then in windows when system is running i put dead ram to slot.then i flashed back to original.
I DON'T ADVICE TO USE IT.IF YOU NEED MORE SPEED USE BIOS.THERE IS NO NEED TO FLASH RAM.OR BUY NEW RAM.ITS SUICIDE FLASHING RAM.:banghead:

Storage Samsung Evo Plus 1TB NVMe , internal WD Red 4TB for storage, WD Book 8TB
Audio Device(s) HDMI audio powering Dolby Digital audio on 5.1 Z960 speaker system
Mouse Logitech G700
Whats next CPU hotfalshing?

Man your realy luck that you didn´t killed the motherboard, CPU or other stuff when doing it with powered PC - Howswapping rams or graphics cards is somehow popular - next they hotswapping CPUs lol
You could have installed the working ram in slot one - set the bios to its spd speeds - turned the pc off - installed the faulty ram in slot 2 and boot - it should have worked that way.

Last edited:

QNX

hello, i made problems for myself with this tool

dunno why, but i've flashed into 1 ram module A-DATA Vitesta DDR2-1000 timings from the A-DATA Vitesta DDR2-800 and now i can't boot wondows to reflash it again

i think it working before wothout loading desktop, dos i mean, cause even if i set very high timing, i get all boot sequence, windows boot logo, and freeze after trying to load desktop

i wonder, if there any dos utility for flashing sdp's of maybe linux? 10x

QNX

i don't want to try hot swapping ram, yet :D

Last edited:
You should be able to reflash the module by swapping it with another or by setting your BIOS to not use SPD. If that doesn't work perhaps you can boot into safe mode?

QNX

i've tried o set high timing valusses and boot into save mode, but no use, i'm geting green screen )

swapping you mean on hot?

QNX

No not hot, just put another module in the first slot and put the "damaged" one in another slot.
i've tried this, and i can't boot windows even in safe mode

i thing with dos it's possible to reflash, but i don't know any suitable utility

Mouse Logitech G700
As far as I know the quick boot option in bios is responsible than the bios takes the memory timings from the spd(s). Try to find out the right ones for the damaged module and set them in the bios with the working module in memory slot 1 and turn of quick boot option - then put the faulty one in slot 1 and try to boot to windows.

QNX

ok :)

again

i know what is the damage module, i've tried to put it into different slots, as single, and with other modules

in single (damage) mode PC hanging on the POST, no matter what timing i've set before with the working one

with other modules PC booting almost to the windows desktop and hangs

i'm trying to ask about any other solution to reflash right spd, without booting windows, cause i just can't do it with any configuration, any timings, any voltage

maybe there are Linux software or some dos flashers?

Can you underclock your system perhaps? Or set a memory divider so the memory runs far below it's stock settings?

Also, you seem unable to boot Windows, it could be that while the module was unstable some file got damaged due to it and the installation is damaged. Can you perhaps run memtest ,BartPE or other OS from CD/DVD to try it out?

QNX

omg :) i'm not so lame

i've sad already, i can boot system with optimal valuse almost to win desktop

this values is 533 for ram and from 5-5-518 to 5-6-6-23

bartpe also can't load graphics desktop

omg :) i'm not so lame

i've sad already, i can boot system with optimal valuse almost to win desktop

this values is 533 for ram and from 5-5-518 to 5-6-6-23

bartpe also can't load graphics desktop

Underclock the RAM?

Ah yes, it's DDR2 1000, so at 533 it should be able to work problem free. Since BartPE doesn't boot either I would say your Windows installation isn't the cause. Can you perhaps try it in another machine? Perhaps the board is just picky.

QNX

well, a don't habe another ddr2 mobo, so can't do anything atm

as far as i kno, the full access to hardware can be done from linux, but there are no one to help with this one

Mouse Logitech G700
A WinXp preinstallation CD maybe would be able to boot and from there some Win32 programs can be started - I have once started Spybot from it due to so heavy infection that the computer hung up at normal startup.

kgp700

Verify failed

(Im not good at English,please understand:) )

Im using hynix 4200 ECC 512MB two sticks

I tried to write hynix 5300 non-ECC 512MB SPD file but verify failed

why verify failed?

May be can not write on AW9D-MAX Board?

Last edited:
Mouse Logitech G700
Does sound like you try to put a 10cm cube through a 5cm round hole - not quite compatible