• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Google Android users clubhouse

Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
In my opinion, rooting is done so you have full control over what is on your phone. Remove crap you don't use and stuff :)

The term rooting is new to me... I am just starting to learn about the droids... I just loaded some songs and pics on my phone and did notice a slow down. I also put a movie on it and it won't play for some reason? I have the Milestone X with the latest updates. Is there a basic outline of what you can do to the phone and the effects of the changes? My concern is that I will brick the phone which is one day old and be f*cked.

Edit: also what are some of the essential apps that you guys can't live without and please explain what they do if it isn't obvious.

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
The term rooting is new to me... I am just starting to learn about the droids... I just loaded some songs and pics on my phone and did notice a slow down. I also put a movie on it and it won't play for some reason? I have the Milestone X with the latest updates. Is there a basic outline of what you can do to the phone and the effects of the changes? My concern is that I will brick the phone which is one day old and be f*cked.

Edit: also what are some of the essential apps that you guys can't live without and please explain what they do if it isn't obvious.

Well, Rooting is basically (if you know Linux) gaining "root" access (or in Windows terms, Administrator rights) on your phone.
All phones come with preinstalled software, and much of it you're probably never going to use. With root access, those things can be deleted.

I'm not familiar with the Droid X, though for lots of Android phones, there are surefire ways of unlocking them. UnrEVOked for the HTC Desire was an absolute walk in the park :)

About the movies: that might be a codec/player problem. Try some other players from the Market like MoboPlayer (that plays a lot for me).

As I have noticed, Apps are very much up to personal preference.
I would mark Flash as essential, if only to improve browsing compatibility.
I use Google Maps Navigation as my primary way of navigating, and besides that I have the Facebook app, plus some games. The rest is as clean as possible.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
Not bad brandon, not bad at all. Quite smooth.

@human

Let me know your thoughts after a couple days. Im interested.

Ok so I've only had the phone for a few hours, so these are my first impressions.

• Dat screen
  • Very fast and smooth
  • Browser is very fast (no flash until December though)
  • Plays 720p files fine, except 1 4.1 high profile mkv with the default player. Will try with 3rd party players later.
  • Faster than my asus transformer - which is a honeycomb with tegra 2 tablet
  • Call quality is excellent
  • It's a tad lighter than my nexus one
  • It's a tad thinner than my nexus one
  • Feels about the same as a Galaxy S2 size wise
  • Face unlock is brilliant. Really. I love this.
  • Android feels very grown up now. It's all intuitive and smooth. I have only seen stutter once, which was on the home screens with a very complex live wallpaper (using an openGl renderer to render a 3D background). Less complex live wallpapers allow the phone to be super smooth again.
  • Keyboard is much easier for typing with.
  • Tons of developer options for any devs out there - seriously I've never seen so many options (CPU usage overlay, highlight areas where the screen updates are the best 2 options for me).

This is the first android phone I've ever seen/used where I know I can go up to my non-techie iPhone using friends and they will think it is as good as, if not better than an iPhone.

If anyone wants me to test anything let me know and I'll get back to you.

**EDIT**

Ok so I have got a big problem now. If you are on a GSM network using the 900mhz band it seems there is an issue which can causes the volume button to go a bit mental. This means that the phone acts as if the volume button is held down(and/or up) if you accidentally touch (not press) the volume buttons. It isn't every time you touch the button, but the majority. Not sure if this can be fixed in software or if a hardware change is needed but in the UK O2 and vodafone use the 850/900mhz band for slow 2G signals, and this is a widespread issue (there's a thread on XDA reporting the issue). Samsung will have to fix this, and there is already speculation that a little tin foil in the battery compartment fixes it.

Fortunately I live in a 3G area so I only see the issue if I force it to use the 2G 900mhz frequencies (until I go out to the countryside, when suddenly it's 2G everywhere).

Last edited:

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
What's your thoughts on battery life so far?

@gary

If you know linux, root is just that , gives you superuser access and allows tweaking of anything on the phone.

Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
What's your thoughts on battery life so far?

Only just unplugged it, so afraid I can't say just yet. I'll post back in a few hours once I've got a better feel for it (although as it's a Lithium battery it will take a few cycles to reach peak performance).

One thing I will say - if I have concerns about the battery there's a ton of OS level options to limit the usage of the phone such as limiting the number of background threads (you can even tell it to kill all apps once you leave them).

**EDIT**

I've found a significant issue. See my above post for more info.

**EDIT 2**

Battery life looks to be ~10 hours of solid usage (downloading and playing videos constantly for 2 hours has used ~20% battery, so 10% an hour) so isn't too bad. If it were in my pocket and not in front of me it will last me all day on a charge (just like my nexus one).

Last edited:
Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
I understand what it can do, but once you dump the bloatware I don't see much to do with it since I don't want to OC my phone? Any more tips for apps.

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
Any more tips for apps.

Amazon Appstore, Handcent SMS(If you don't like the stock SMS Inbox), iHeartRadio, Orb Live, GasBuddy & Facebook(if that's your thing).

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Android Comic Viewer for those that like reading comics on their phone.

:D

Last edited:

JrRacinFan

Storage 20+ TB
Software Windows 10
@gary

Another use would be modifying your build.prop, you can gain quite a few tweaks and battery life there. Including using GPU over CPU for UI, SD card boosts, and optimizing TCP stack. Editing minfree values, to allow better memory management IE no slowdown/lag, no launcher redraws. Can get a swap partition running as well.

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
@gary

Another use would be modifying your build.prop, you can gain quite a few tweaks and battery life there. Including using GPU over CPU for UI, SD card boosts, and optimizing TCP stack. Editing minfree values, to allow better memory management IE no slowdown/lag, no launcher redraws. Can get a swap partition running as well.
Your saying after it's rooted? I'm having a hard time finding how to even root it. it's a motorola milestone x. & yes I've tried google lol plus once it's rooted will that affect the app store?& this may sound really dumb but if you root it wouldn't not buying apps be part of it?

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
most of the good apps are free gary. sometimes rooting does affect the app store but there is a fix for it most of the time.Motorola milestone X same as droid X on verizon now google it

and then....

GingerBreak 1.2

Last edited:
Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
and then I don't know how to tell you I love you

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Any opinions on the HTC Rezound vs Google Nexus?

System Name Big Devil
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Memory 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic White 1600MHz CL9
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 780 ACX SC
Storage Intel 520 Series 180GB + WD 1TB Blue
Display(s) HP ZR30W 30" 2650x1600 IPS
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Power Supply ABS SL 1050W (Enermax Revolution Rebadge)
Software Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/ Media Center
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
I have been looking for a LONG time for a direct comparison of these two phones.

I decided that since VZW is taking their SWEET TIME to announce a release date for the Galaxy Nexus, I bought the HTC Rezound today, and will pay $35 to swap to a Galaxy Nexus if it comes out before the end of the year and I like it. Their holiday return policy is in effect, and any phone purchased now through something like the end of the year (online or in a VZW corporate store) can be returned/exchanged through January 15th.

I will be posting impressions of the Rezound on here for anybody who wants them. Feel free to ask any questions as well.

Here are some quick impressions so far: The phone is stinking FAST. Sense 3.5 is a tad on the flashy side, the headphones are retartedly bass-heavy (probably great if you're into rap/R&B/etc. but not if you're the kinda guy who has two Senheisser cans). The screen is the most gorgeous non-OLED screen I've ever seen (really wish it was AMOLED). That's about it for now :)

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
I have been looking for a LONG time for a direct comparison of these two phones.

I decided that since VZW is taking their SWEET TIME to announce a release date for the Galaxy Nexus, I bought the HTC Rezound today, and will pay $35 to swap to a Galaxy Nexus if it comes out before the end of the year and I like it. Their holiday return policy is in effect, and any phone purchased now through something like the end of the year (online or in a VZW corporate store) can be returned/exchanged through January 15th.

I will be posting impressions of the Rezound on here for anybody who wants them. Feel free to ask any questions as well.

Here are some quick impressions so far: The phone is stinking FAST. Sense 3.5 is a tad on the flashy side, the headphones are retartedly bass-heavy (probably great if you're into rap/R&B/etc. but not if you're the kinda guy who has two Senheisser cans). The screen is the most gorgeous non-OLED screen I've ever seen (really wish it was AMOLED). That's about it for now :)

Screen is what interests me most... Compared to say, a Galaxy SII, how is the screen? sunlight performance? Go as much in depth as possible on that side :p It does have the highest number of subpixels, subpixel density AND pixel density. Unless the SII HD comes out soon, the HTC Rezound seems pretty damn good

and I listen to a little Rap and mostly R&B so the headphones aren't that much of a problem :D

Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
most of the good apps are free gary. sometimes rooting does affect the app store but there is a fix for it most of the time.Motorola milestone X same as droid X on verizon now google it

and then....

GingerBreak 1.2

There are distinct differences between Motorola Droids and Milestones, I would NOT use a tool for one on the other. Though that might be different for the X, I would certainly look it up first

Also gary: http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=687

xda is THE place for phone hackers and developers.

System Name Big Devil
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Cooling XSPC Rasa | Black Ice GT Stealth 240 | XSPC X2O 750 | 2x ACF12PWM | PrimoChill White 7/16"
Case Corsair 600T SE
Audio Device(s) Xonar Essence STX | Sennheisser PC350 "Hero" Modded | Corsair SP2500
Benchmark Scores Ducky Year of the Snake w/ Cherry MX Browns & Year of the Tiger PBT Keycaps | Razer Deathadder Black
Screen is what interests me most... Compared to say, a Galaxy SII, how is the screen? sunlight performance? Go as much in depth as possible on that side :p It does have the highest number of subpixels, subpixel density AND pixel density. Unless the SII HD comes out soon, the HTC Rezound seems pretty damn good

and I listen to a little Rap and mostly R&B so the headphones aren't that much of a problem :D

Unfortunately, I haven't seen a GSII before. Compared to my Incredible, I miss the deep blacks of the AMOLED (the TFT LCD is no slouch, but obviously can't compare to AMOLED) and I will have to comment on the sunlight performance later.

System Name Homelabs
Unfortunately, I haven't seen a GSII before. Compared to my Incredible, I miss the deep blacks of the AMOLED (the TFT LCD is no slouch, but obviously can't compare to AMOLED) and I will have to comment on the sunlight performance later.

How about the colors? Is the AMOLED really superior there too?

System Name Big Devil
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Case Corsair 600T SE
I'll have to comment on that a little later. Time for bed for me :)

I think under low brightness, AMOLED can get a little washed out compared to TFT LCD, but under brighter conditions it looks better.

T

twilyth

I just got an Optimus V from Virgin. There weren't a lot of choices. There were about 3 phones I think that cost more, but I checked the reviews on phonescoop and each had it's set of problems. the V seemed like the most reliable with good signal strength.

So I spent the better part of a day reading the manual and getting pretty comfortable with the OS (Android 2.2 I think).

I'd like to get deeper into this but need to go at my own pace. So here are a couple questions. Can I root this phone safely. Can I do a full backup that will reliably restore if I bork it? Basically, where should I start?

I like the phone the way it is but there were a couple things I wanted to tweak and couldn't see a way.

Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
I just got an Optimus V from Virgin. There weren't a lot of choices. There were about 3 phones I think that cost more, but I checked the reviews on phonescoop and each had it's set of problems. the V seemed like the most reliable with good signal strength.

So I spent the better part of a day reading the manual and getting pretty comfortable with the OS (Android 2.2 I think).

I'd like to get deeper into this but need to go at my own pace. So here are a couple questions. Can I root this phone safely. Can I do a full backup that will reliably restore if I bork it? Basically, where should I start?

I like the phone the way it is but there were a couple things I wanted to tweak and couldn't see a way.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=836

This would be your starting point for information.

There should be a sticky there about how to root if possible. Also, full backups can be made after root is achieved using Nandroid or whatever the root unlockers prefer to put in your bootloader.

Case Corsair 760T
Keyboard Logitech G910
Software Windows 10 Pro
Battery life update on my Galaxy Nexus.

It seems to last about as long as my Nexus One did. I gave it quite a bit of usage at work today, and where I work signal is very poor so most of the time it's hunting for reception so that kills battery life. It lasted 13 hours from when I left home to when I had 15% left and as I said that's with poor reception and heavy usage, so not bad.

It should last all day with no problems if in an area with signal...

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'll have to comment on that a little later. Time for bed for me :)

I think under low brightness, AMOLED can get a little washed out compared to TFT LCD, but under brighter conditions it looks better.

I'm on 2.3.4 with my Droid Incredible. Do you know of a good guide for rooting this phone with 2.3.4?

Processor W3520 Xeon
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Case 932 HAF
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
System Name Big Devil
Motherboard ECS P67H2-A2
Case Corsair 600T SE
I used unrevoked3 to unlock my incredible. It was pretty simple.