• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RealTemp General Discussion

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Attached is a screen-shot of RT 3.60, 3.64, 3.67, and 3.691, they all display 3 cores.

v Read, please. v

RealTemp GT is designed to correctly read all 6 cores and organizes the data in the correct physical order. When you run the regular version of RealTemp on one of these CPUs, it will only read data from the first 3 cores because it considers the other 3 cores to be from a separate and second CPU.

This^

@rjflory > Use Realtemp GT, not the standard Realtemp.

That is why I linked it in my post above.

Please read GT! Realtemp GT 3.64

rjflory

Yes, I gathered there must be a difference when I first saw the "GT" version.

Please take a quick look at the last file attachment I sent, especially the directory listings of the .zipfiles...

You will notice the only *364* there is in fact the "GT" version. I did not rename the files.

302,840 RealTemp_GT_364.zip

Also, the second problem I tried to convey in the last message was that the "RealTemp_GT_364.zip" file actually contains "RealTemp 3.67" . Could there have been a packaging oops here???

ron

Attachments

• rt360_shows_6_core_as_3_05.png
    rt360_shows_6_core_as_3_05.png
    57.1 KB · Views: 516

rjflory

oh "darn"-

I just realized what is going on.

Your archive contains BOTH RT3.67 and RTGT3.64 .

I was launching these from a shell and using tab-completion, and the non-GT version alwars matched first. I didn't even notice the "GT" executable there. Did you intend to package both the GT and non-GT version in the archive?

Well, the GT version works fine on this system... ;)

ron

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Well, the GT version works fine on this system... ;)

I thought it would work! Sorry for making life so complicated. When the 6 core CPUs first came out, I had no access to one for development purposes so the easiest and quickest way to get RealTemp working correctly with them was to create a completely separate version of RealTemp just for them. I called it RealTemp GT since it is designed specifically for the Gulftown CPUs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulftown

In hindsight I should have added 6 core support directly to the regular version of RealTemp. Going the quick to release route has created an infinite amount of work for me trying to maintain two separate programs and confusion to users. I probably won't bother now combining them.

rogerlira: The C source code for RealTemp has never been released and I probably won't ever release it. RealTemp is free to use but it is not open source.

rogerlira

I thought it would work! Sorry for making life so complicated. When the 6 core CPUs first came out, I had no access to one for development purposes so the easiest and quickest way to get RealTemp working correctly with them was to create a completely separate version of RealTemp just for them. I called it RealTemp GT since it is designed specifically for the Gulftown CPUs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulftown

In hindsight I should have added 6 core support directly to the regular version of RealTemp. Going the quick to release route has created an infinite amount of work for me trying to maintain two separate programs and confusion to users. I probably won't bother now combining them.

rogerlira: The C source code for RealTemp has never been released and I probably won't ever release it. RealTemp is free to use but it is not open source.

Dear rjflory how can I use it?
There is a library or dll?
I am a Delphi developer, but I installed Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0
to work with Real Temp, I'm on the right track?
Sorry the questions, which to you are the day to day.
Thank you.

unclewebb

RealTemp was written using Visual C++ 6.0 so it will not compile with VS 9.0 without some modifications and the source code is not publicly available anyhow.

RealTemp does not have a separate dll available for developers. The Core Temp program has a dll available which you might be able to use with Delphi.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/developers.html

rogerlira

RealTemp was written using Visual C++ 6.0 so it will not compile with VS 9.0 without some modifications and the source code is not publicly available anyhow.

RealTemp does not have a separate dll available for developers. The Core Temp program has a dll available which you might be able to use with Delphi.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/developers.html

It worked perfectly in Delphi, just have to keep the program on Real Temp.
It is possible to obtain information from fans?
Thank you all:):)

Processor Intel Core i5 4570
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z87-HD3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Kingston ValueRAM CL9 1333MHz DDR3
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GeForce GTS450OC-1GL
Storage 1TB WD Black + 1.5TB WD Black + Kingston V300 120GB
Display(s) T200HD
Case Delux MZ401
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Enermax NAXN 500W
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
I don't think there is a thread about throttlestop or i just might not have found it. My problem is that my laptop cpu 2630QM is running really hot and i ran ThrottleStop 3.4 just fine and some older versions too. Today I downloaded 4.00 an my laptop as i was already using it on my pc Q9400 and noticed that the disable turbo cannot be ticked on the Sandy Bridge cpu. That feature was what i was using this program for, and i don't know what happened is just a bug on my pc or there is something that needs to be done before i can use that function.

unclewebb

I changed how this feature works in ThrottleStop recently but it should still work.

If the multiplier is set to the highest value, it will say Turbo, then you should be able to toggle the Disable Turbo option on and off. For Sandy Bridge CPUs like your 2630QM, ThrottleStop 4.00 lets you access a wider variety of Turbo multipliers so you are best off just selecting whatever Turbo multiplier works best to control your hot Sandy laptop CPU. The Disable Turbo option isn't necessary when you control your CPU this way.

Let me know if this works. Go in the About box and send me an email if you need any help or want to send me some screen shots.

ThrottleStop 4.00
http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

Last edited:
System Name Coming up in september
Is Throttlestop the new Realtemp? Sorry, havent researched it much.

Is there a reason why Realtemp doesn't recognize integrated GPU's?

Thanks in advance,
Jegergrim

unclewebb

ThrottleStop was just a little side project, originally intended to fix and document Dell's throttling laptops. Dell finally came to their senses when users became more aware of what speed their laptop was really running at internally. No matter what laptop you buy, old or new or from what manufacturer, it's a good idea to do some thorough testing for throttling issues. ThrottleStop is a great program to document exactly what your Intel CPU is doing.

My software doesn't recognize Intel integrated GPUs because I don't have any hardware or time to add this feature. Free software is great but it did not allow me to buy any new hardware so I had to end further development. :(

Working for a living sucks compared to working on RealTemp.

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Motherboard ASRock B450 PRO4
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory HyperX Predator Black 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce GTX 1060 GAMING X 6GB
Storage ADATA SX8200 PRO 512GB + Intel 535 Series 120GB + WD 6400AAKS
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Antec Signature 650
Software Win 10
System Name Coming up in september
ThrottleStop was just a little side project, originally intended to fix and document Dell's throttling laptops. Dell finally came to their senses when users became more aware of what speed their laptop was really running at internally. No matter what laptop you buy, old or new or from what manufacturer, it's a good idea to do some thorough testing for throttling issues. ThrottleStop is a great program to document exactly what your Intel CPU is doing.

My software doesn't recognize Intel integrated GPUs because I don't have any hardware or time to add this feature. Free software is great but it did not allow me to buy any new hardware so I had to end further development. :(

Working for a living sucks compared to working on RealTemp.

Much appreciated that you took the time to create this awesome software in the first place, and thanks for a detailed reply :)

rjflory

RealTemp application seems to disappear from screen and tray?

Hi-

I tend to leave RealTempGT (3.64) running continuously and have noticed two related odd behaviors that might occur if the the app is covered for some period of time.

RealTempGT disappears from the main screen(s), and I can't find any way to re-display it.

The RealTemp program tab disappears from the program tray even though the Task Manager indicates it is still running- its NOT present in running "Applications" but IS present in "Processes". The "Hidden Icons" sub-window on the bottom right on Win7 contains an invisible white icon that shows the current cpu temp if I hover the mouse over it.

Apparently I had been restarting new instances of RealTempGT to replace the ones that evaporated, so I had 5 or 6 of the invisible hidden icons, all would display the CPU temp if I hovered over them.

If I kill RealTempGT (Task manager "kill process tree") the hidden icon disappears as it should.

ron

Attachments

• rt364_01.jpg
    rt364_01.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 495
Last edited:

unclewebb

That's a RealTemp / Windows 7 incompatibility (aka. bug). The only fix for this issue is to use the Windows 7 "Show All Icons" option. When using a C++ compiler from the Windows 98 era, I am surprised that RealTemp works at all on Windows 7.

rjflory

OK- its not causing me any trouble- I just though I'd provide some feedback.

Thanks.

tr888

newb here, basic questions

I am a total newb and have two questions I'm almost embarrassed to ask. Is this program intended for really hard-core overclockers and require a Fluke thermometer in order to function? I'm not sure what to make of this statement from the program's description:

Program is based on temperature data gathered using a Fluke 62 IR Thermometer.

Also, is the user supposed to know the TJMax value for the particular CPU and enter it, or is this datum already in the program's built-in knowledge-base?

I would like to monitor the temperature of a 95W i5-2500 in a small MiniITX case with limited airflow, to make sure the stock fans and CPU cooler are sufficient or whether a better CPU cooler is required. I'm not overclocking.

Thanks

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Software Win 10
Is this program intended for really hard-core overclockers and require a Fluke thermometer in order to function?
Nope. In early days of Intel CPU's when TJmax value was just a wild guess Kevin and rge did a lot of testing with IR thermometers and naked CPU's (kinky :D) and from trial and error they build a database with (close to real) TJmax values for CPU's.
Also, is the user supposed to know the TJMax value for the particular CPU and enter it, or is this datum already in the program's built-in knowledge-base?
Latest Intel CPu's have TJmax value written into an CPU register so RealTemp is reading that value. No need for user to remember/change anything.
I would like to monitor the temperature of a 95W i5-2500
Just run latest RealTemp and let it doing his job.

ejme

I have quad core cpu and RealTemp only displays individual core temp readings, where is the cpu temp reading?

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Software Win 10
Well, RealTemp displays only core temperatures (the one that really matters).
Why would you need to know a meaningless value like CPU temp? :confused:

System Name Rocket
Processor Ryzen 3600X
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Display(s) Benq EW2420
Case Antec P182
Software Win 10
There isn't a generic CPU temperature reading in RealTemp. Only core temperatures.

ejme

Why not? Isn't it just as important as the GPU readout displayed on RealTemp. Then how do I calculate the CPU temp? Is there a mathematical equation to calculate the CPU temp base on the core temps displayed? Thank you for your time.