• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

x79 motherboard power phases

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
I am trying to understand these boards power managment.

Asus P9 Deluxe - 16+4+2+2
Asus RampageIVExtreme - 8+3+2+2
Asus TUF sabretooth - 8+2+2+2
Gigabyte UD5 - 14+4+2+2
gigabyte AssassinG1 - 8+??
Gigabyte UD7 - 16+4+2+2

Maybe I have the numbers wrong above so please offer corrections.

Why is it the the two mainstream offerings (Deluxe and UD5) seem to have better VRM than the gaming models?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Number of phases does does NOT = better. IF they use the same components, then maybe.

Anyway, I have the P9X79 Deluxe and the X79-UD5. I'll have reviews up in a few weeks, maybe. What I can say about the Assasin board is that it is NOT the top-teir product; The UD7, on the other hand, IS the top-teir.

Also, most of these boards have VRM on the back side of the board. Is there a picture of the back of the Assassin online somewheres?

System Name Prometheus
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
Cooling EKWB EK-240 AIO D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 4070Ti Ventus 3X OC 12GB
Storage WD Black SN850 1TB + 1 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Display(s) DELL U4320Q 4K + Wacom Cintiq Pro 16 4K
Case Jonsbo A4 ver1.1 SFF
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum SFX
Mouse Logitech Pro Wireless
Keyboard Vortex Race 3 75% MX Brown
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
If the X58 line is of any inspiration, they might even come out with an UD9 later on. Also what cadaveca said is true, the number of phases should not be taken as an indication of a strong VRM setup.

As it is quite often the case, motherboad design falls victim to the marketing "wars" between these desktop motherboard top-tier companies like Asus and Gigabyte. You should check out some server motherboards where you will see true digi-VRMs that are quite compact, strong and durable (also expensive).

On the desktop side I can only remember a couple of motherboards that had real digi-VRMs, the rest are mostly hybrid versions.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Number of phases does does NOT = better. IF they use the same components, then maybe.

I suspected as much. Unfortunately I can't find a way though all the marketing guf to be able to make a clear choice. The UD7 is physically too big for my case or I would have purchased it already. I don't want to bench the board but I do want to do some hard OC (I'm in the mood).]

If the X58 line is of any inspiration, they might even come out with an UD9 later on. Also what cadaveca said is true, the number of phases should not be taken as an indication of a strong VRM setup.

As it is quite often the case, motherboad design falls victim to the marketing "wars" between these desktop motherboard top-tier companies like Asus and Gigabyte. You should check out some server motherboards where you will see true digi-VRMs that are quite compact, strong and durable (also expensive).

On the desktop side I can only remember a couple of motherboards that had real digi-VRMs, the rest are mostly hybrid versions.

How can I compare, for example, the p9 deluxe and the rampage? On paper, the p9 "appears" superior. In pictures, the ramapge has a small cooling fan. This might be an advantage - or might be because the load is being spread amonst less VRM.

I am not looking for a board that can last a long time but I want one that can sutain high workloads at moderately high ambient temperatures.