• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Editorial Wintel Alliance Slowly Crumbling, ARM To Eventually Rule The Desktop?

Processor Intel i9-9900k @ 5GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi
Cooling ThermalTake Riing 240
Memory 2x8GB G-Skill 3600 CL19 @ 16-19-19-20
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX 2060 Amp!
Storage 2x Samsung 860 Evo 512GB, 4x Seagate 8TB
Display(s) 2x Dell U2713H
Case CoolerMaster M500P
Power Supply ThermalTake Toughpower 730W
Software Windows 10 Pro
I don't really buy into the 'wintel' alliance. Microsoft never locked Windows into Intel only platforms.

Windows NT was available for Alpha and Sparc, Windows XP added x64 extensions even when it was primarily AMD's domain and Intel didn't have a 64bit x86 proc.

With ARM increasingly overlapping with netbooks and tablet PCs, it only makes sense for the next Windows version to support ARM.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
I don't really buy into the 'wintel' alliance. Microsoft never locked Windows into Intel only platforms.

Windows NT was available for Alpha and Sparc
, Windows XP added x64 extensions even when it was primarily AMD's domain and Intel didn't have a 64bit x86 proc.

With ARM increasingly overlapping with netbooks and tablet PCs, it only makes sense for the next Windows version to support ARM.

And yes, all those processor architectures have been discontinued, leaving x86/x64 as the only one. ARM's efficiency and performance could well be disruptive here and replace x86. Note what I said in the article, that if the advanced design and process technologies currently applied to x86 were to be applied to an ARM, it would blow x86 away. Take a look at that video, if you haven't seen it yet.

Finally, I'm talking in the time scale of a decade or so, as the whole world runs on x86.

System Name The Stone that the Builders Refused / iJayo
Processor R5 1600/ R7 3700X
Motherboard Asrock AB350 Pro4 / Asus Rog Strix B450-F gaming
Cooling Cryorig M9 / Noctua NH-D14
Memory G skill 16 Gigs ddr4 / 16 gigs PNY ddr4
Video Card(s) Nvdia GTX 660 / Nvidia RTX 2070 Super
Storage 120gig 840 evo, 120gig adata sp900 / 1tb Mushkin M.2 ssd 1 & 3 tb seagate hdd, 120 gig Hyper X ssd
Display(s) 42" Nec retail display monitor/ 34" Dell curved 165hz monitor
Case Pink Enermax Ostrog / Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Tempered Glass edition
Audio Device(s) Altec Lansing Expressionist Bass/ M-Audio monitors
Power Supply Corsair450 / Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 650
Mouse corsair vengence M65 / Zalman Knossos
Keyboard corsair k95 / Roccat Vulcan 121
Software Window 10 pro / Windows 10 pro
Benchmark Scores meh... feel me on the battle field!
just my 2 cents

Hardware development has far outpaced software development lately. Our cpus & gpus are way more powerful than what the average user will ever need. Were in the midst of a sidegrade so to say where the most important thing now is small form factor and low energy use. While i will still build and use POWER machines...the masses are headed toward potato powered dvd case sized desktops. There will always be business & engineering hardware but I believe there will be a radical change ahead. Imagine a dual 590, Sb-e powered system with the power usage/size of an ipad. Mobile when u need it, plug in a keyboard and 3 30inch monitors at home and game away. end rant

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
For $16 I could do the same test but with a graphics accelerator since my Galaxy S 2 has one built in.

My phone is OK to browse the web, but not even in the same ballpark as any modern CPU.

And yes, all those processor architectures have been discontinued, leaving x86/x64 as the only one. ARM's efficiency and performance could well be disruptive here and replace x86. Note what I said in the article, that if the advanced design and process technologies currently applied to x86 were to be applied to an ARM, it would blow x86 away. Take a look at that video, if you haven't seen it yet.

Finally, I'm talking in the time scale of a decade or so, as the whole world runs on x86.

A decent amount of the world is moving to X64, even our new Insite and other highly proprietary software is supported exclusively on X64 now. Almost half lf my work machines are X64 or are running hardware that is ready for it now that our software is capable.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
A decent amount of the world is moving to X64, even our new Insite and other highly proprietary software is supported exclusively on X64 now. Almost half lf my work machines are X64 or are running hardware that is ready for it now that our software is capable.

Yes of course. It was just cumbersome writing x86/x64 all the time. Those two are welded together, so it's just shorthand.

People here have made some good points. Intel can certainly compete on power efficiency so that old myth is busted. ARM has a huge uphill battle in desktops when it comes to interconnects though. The ARM platform itself is notoriously not standardized. Does ARM even have a PCIe chipset widely available? How do you get current manufacturers to jump ship from PC to ARM? What about drivers and software? Will they have to be custom coded for each ARM platform? That becomes unwieldy and you end up with PCs that are just like poorly updated cell phones thanks to unmanageable software.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
since everything is going mobile, and intel is way out ahead of ARM in regards to mobile technology, i see this whole windows vs intel thing as a dog and pony show. windows will continue to buy chips from intel, now at a lower price.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
People here have made some good points. Intel can certainly compete on power efficiency so that old myth is busted. ARM has a huge uphill battle in desktops when it comes to interconnects though. The ARM platform itself is notoriously not standardized. Does ARM even have a PCIe chipset widely available? How do you get current manufacturers to jump ship from PC to ARM? What about drivers and software? Will they have to be custom coded for each ARM platform? That becomes unwieldy and you end up with PCs that are just like poorly updated cell phones thanks to unmanageable software.

All very good points and something that the big boys will have to address properly if we're to see proper head-to-head competition. However, I don't think it's beyond them.

Note what I said in the article, that if the advanced design and process technologies currently applied to x86 were to be applied to an ARM, it would blow x86 away.

ARM will acquire that technology at some point but will it matter? Power usage can only go so low before it's not an advantage anymore? Think about it, which of the below would you choose?

1) ARM laptop/tablet that can run 24 hours under constant usage but not have x86 compatibility

2) x86 laptop/tablet that can run 8 hours under constant usage but can run all that long standing and mature desktop software and not have to deal with waiting for an OEM to update your laptop/tablet OS just like cell phone and tablet manufacturers do today.

Of course I also happen to think that Intel will be pushing out faster CPUs and GPUs than ARM systems can provide. ARM will not be able to keep up with the relentless consistent tick tock pace that Intel always delivers on.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
ARM will acquire that technology at some point but will it matter? Power usage can only go so low before it's not an advantage anymore? Think about it, which of the below would you choose?

1) ARM laptop/tablet that can run 24 hours under constant usage but not have x86 compatibility

2) x86 laptop/tablet that can run 8 hours under constant usage but can run all that long standing and mature desktop software and not have to deal with waiting for an OEM to update your laptop/tablet OS just like cell phone and tablet manufacturers do today.

Of course I also happen to think that Intel will be pushing out faster CPUs and GPUs than ARM systems can provide. ARM will not be able to keep up with the relentless consistent tick tock pace that Intel always delivers on.

Yes, point 2, obviously. That's why I said the likes of IBM would have to get behind it. Bridging the gap between legacy x86 apps and ARM is going to be vital too, as I've said. I couldn't agree more that they have a mountain to climb to oust the entrenched x86 architecture, but these are not small players and together, they might just be able to climb that mountain. Perhaps they could somehow even get Intel on-side (unlikely) but you never know what deals can come about with these things.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the only reason we're stuck with x86 today is because of that sodding exclusivity clause Intel made AMD sign 30 years ago. It's not clear to me why there's a couple of other companies with x86 licences too, such as VIA. I guess a quick google/wikipedia will answer that one, lol.

I couldn't agree more that they have a mountain to climb to oust the entrenched x86 architecture

Why would those companies bother to climb that mountain? Investing all that time, money, and manpower into solving a problem that has already been solved for them with x86 systems. In the boardroom I can only see that as being a bad investment decision in an economy where they need to squeeze every last penny of profit out of their income. As the open source people say "It's a duplication of effort."

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Why would those companies bother to climb that mountain? Investing all that time, money, and manpower into solving a problem that has already been solved for them with x86 systems. In the boardroom I can only see that as being a bad investment decision in an economy where they need to squeeze every last penny of profit out of their income. As the open source people say "It's a duplication of effort."

The evidence that they'd bother is there with the fact that Microsoft has written Windows 8 to run natively on ARM and a dual/multi CPU architecture market is unstable, since they have to maintain two development teams at all times to effectively service one product - there's your duplication of effort.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Sorry but it's simple as that: they can't. ARM is superior on very base level + dedicated processing units spread across SoC make the case even worse for x86.

"The Cortex-A9 has a TDP of 1.9w @2Ghz, the Atom Z550@2GHz is only at 2.5w."
This means that atom would be trashed by ARM performace wise, GPU is already way faster, not to talk about rest of SoC, oh, yeah, SoC, no slow buses etc.

The Cortex-A9 doesn't have a GPU, pay attention here.

But again, right now Sandybridge is absolutely destroying ARM in performance/watt. So taking that same architecture, and crippling it to the point that it performs like an old 486 to match the ARM performance should give power consumption the same or better than ARM.

Like I said, Sandybridge is already down to 17w, that is with two full cores and Hyperthreading, an integrated Northbridge, an integrated GPU, and integrated memory controller, integrated PCI-E lanes, and a huge L3 cache. A lot of stuff that isn't needed in a ARM competitor.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
The Cortex-A9 doesn't have a GPU, pay attention here.

But again, right now Sandybridge is absolutely destroying ARM in performance/watt. So taking that same architecture, and crippling it to the point that it performs like an old 486 to match the ARM performance should give power consumption the same or better than ARM.

Cortex-A9 doesnt have a GPU, but most of the people who use the Cortex-A9 also add a GPU component on die/on package, so its generally counted "as one".

S-B (and most of the x86 processors out there) destroys ARM only in FLOPs, and a few other benchmarks. Otherwise (watching videos, surfing the net etc) ARM is not bad, and can sometimes tilt the advantage over. I wouldn't call one better than the other, its too task dependent.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
All of you are getting your panties in a twist over tech specs.

Guess what - it doesn't matter.

I can Skype, Facebook, send emails and play Angry Birds with a small fraction of the power already available today.

The only relevant 'tech specs' are that Intel is currently incapable of competing with ARM on the all-important idle power consumption. If they are able to address that then they can enter the smartphone race (albeit very late to the party). Intel is currently working very hard at this.

And to Wile E, people use Wintel because that's what the market determined was popular from the 1980s. They didn't choose it because of any tech related specification or power consumption.

Dorks bought a 386sx33mhz w/ 2mb of ram, a 80mb HDD and a Trident video card sitting on an ISA bus. People bought IBM-compatible PCs.

That has no bearing on why it is being used today. Today it is simply the better chip for desktop usage.

Sorry, x86 is here to stay for a long, long time to come.

The evidence that they'd bother is there with the fact that Microsoft has written Windows 8 to run natively on ARM and a dual/multi CPU architecture market is unstable, since they have to maintain two development teams at all times to effectively service one product - there's your duplication of effort.

Yes indeed Microsoft is willing to make the effort but this will require all major OEMs and chipset manufacturers to also step in and do a whole lot of work on the hardware and drivers too. Microsoft can't do it alone!

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Cortex-A9 doesnt have a GPU, but most of the people who use the Cortex-A9 also add a GPU component on die/on package, so its generally counted "as one".

S-B (and most of the x86 processors out there) destroys ARM only in FLOPs, and a few other benchmarks. Otherwise (watching videos, surfing the net etc) ARM is not bad, and can sometimes tilt the advantage over. I wouldn't call one better than the other, its too task dependent.

S-B generally outperforms ARM in every aspect. ARM is capable of doing low end stuff, surfing the net and watching videos, but SB still is better at those things. To effectively move into the desktop market, ARM is going to have to be alot better than just "good enough to watch videos and surf the net", especially with it being noticeably slower at even managing to surf the web than an Atom, and Atoms are slow pieces of shit in the desktop world. Most business won't even bother to look at them for machines in their office.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
S-B generally outperforms ARM in every aspect. ARM is capable of doing low end stuff, surfing the net and watching videos, but SB still is better at those things. To effectively move into the desktop market, ARM is going to have to be alot better than just "good enough to watch videos and surf the net", especially with it being noticeably slower at even managing to surf the web than an Atom, and Atoms are slow pieces of shit in the desktop world. Most business won't even bother to look at them for machines in their office.

I don't know about that, but at least in practice I hear the laymen starting to acquire more iDevices and Tablets over Atom netbooks for general day to day internet and entertainment consumption. That is, to me at least, a clear indicator that Intel should be stepping up their efforts if they want to compete effectively against ARM. It wasn't the case last year, and with me living in a clearly more geeky environment (there are people still use Serial ports, Fortran and CUDA rather than newer alternatives), I think that is a sign that times are changing.

bostonbuddy

Intel must be planning to have 22nm Ivybridge based smartphone/tablet x86 cpu's. Only makes sense. They can't wait 2 years for the next die shrink to start competing in that market.

System Name Runs Smooth
Processor FX 8350
Motherboard Crosshair V Formula Z
Cooling Corsair H110 with AeroCool Shark 140mm fans
Memory 16GB G-skill Trident X 1866 Cl. 8
Video Card(s) HIS 7970 IceQ X² GHZ Edition
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB SSD & 1Tb piece of crap
Display(s) acer H243H
Case NZXT Phantom 820 matte black
Audio Device(s) Nada
Power Supply NZXT Hale90 V2 850 watt
Software Windows 7 Pro
Benchmark Scores Lesbians are hot!!!
This should be an editorial, there is a ton of opinion in this piece.

I can't believe we made it this far before somebody bitched.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
I don't visit the front page. I just assumed it was an editorial. It's blatantly obvious that this isn't a news story.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I don't visit the front page. I just assumed it was an editorial. It's blatantly obvious that this isn't a news story.

You know, this time I agree with you. It started out as a news story (see sources) but as I wrote it up, it developed into an editorial.

Note that editorials shouldn't be seen as any less than a straight news post though, as seems to often be implied in these sorts of discussions. Think about it, with a news post, you're basically just repeating something you've seen somewhere, perhaps gathering info from several sources. With an editorial, the news is analyzed and conclusions drawn from it, as I've done here. Also, to make life more interesting, the line between the two is often blurred.

I've clicked that button. ;) :toast:

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Never said editorials were bad. Only editorials that are intentionally passed off as news are viewed in a negative light by me. That's obviously not the case here.