• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Apple Founders: The Third Man

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
It's common knowledge that Apple was founded by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak in 1976, as is often parroted in news stories, history articles and documentaries about Apple. However, what isn't such common knowledge, is that there was actually a third man who founded Apple, one Ronald Wayne. This fact has now become very apparent, because the original contract to found the company and signed by the three men, has just been sold at upmarket auction house, Sotheby's, for a cool $1.35 million. Yes, seriously, $1.35 million. There's much better things to spend that kind of money on, we think. On top of that, the winning bidder, Eduardo Cisneros, chief executive officer of Miami-based Cisneros Corporation, had to pay Sotheby's a 12% commission, making the total amount spent $1.6 million, which caused his credit card to catch fire and explode (we made that last bit up). Anyway, the document was expected to sell for a maximum of around $150K, but somehow did much better. Perhaps this is because of Jobs's fame and the fact that he has sadly passed away recently.

The contract reveals that the original partnership for the Apple Computer Company gave Wayne a 10% stake in the company and the two Steves 45% each. However, in what must have been the biggest business blunder of his life, Wayne wanted out and was therefore paid just $2300 for his part in founding the company. Apple's market cap shot past Microsoft some time ago to make them the number one technology company, they are now a market leader in various gadgets such as the iPhone and have a very loyal following for their Macintosh computers. Due to this incredible success, his contract would have been worth a staggering $2 billion! Ouch. However, today, Wayne is retired and sells stamps and rare coins from his home in Nevada. Oh, what could have been...

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel i7 970 // Intel i7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Rampage III Formula // Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Cooling Zalman CNPS9900MaxB // Zalman CNPS11X
Memory GSkill 2133 12GB // Corsair V 2400 32GB
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX1080 // MSI GTX1070
Storage Samsung 860EVO // Samsung840P
Display(s) HP w2207h
Case CoolerMaster Stacker 830se // Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Seasonic X 850w Gold // EVGA 850w G2
Mouse Logitech G502SE HERO, G9
Keyboard Dell
Software W10 Pro 22H2
Charity anyone

The 1.6 Million is a Colossal waste of anyone's money for this document.

I hope it gets eaten by paper mites or gets coffee spilled all over it.

Better to give someone a job or give it to charity.

Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit

Ok, I wanted to say this a couple times before, but is there even a point in comparing MS to Apple?

As I see it:
MS mostly designs software for other hardware.
Apple mostly designs hardware and gadgets , then puts their software on it.

MS is in the big market, working and coexisting with other companies to deliver the final product the user (at which point, most of the work is done by companies other than MS). While Apple lives in their own market with their proprietary designs and own shops. If anything, Apple is more like Dell, than MS, back in the days, when they used to have Dell stores all across US.

This is not a critique, but just a thought.

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
I kinda feel sorry for wayne. Apple have become such a big name and they are EVERYWHERE. He probably crys himself to sleep every night knowing that he still could have been rolling in money despite only owning 10% of the business.

He has to live with it for the rest of his life and seeing Apple products being advertised all over the place will probably drive him to insanity or suicide even if he hasnt already made peace with the decision he made back then.

If that was me, id definitely be kicking myself

Marv

Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
Cooling Custom Watercooling
Memory Corsair 8GB XMS3 1600MHz CAS9
Video Card(s) VTX3D HD7970 @1250MHz/1450MHz
Storage Crucial C300 64GB, Kingston SSDNow 128GB, Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB
Display(s) Dell 3007WFP-HC, Dell 2001FP
Case Lan Gear Da Box 100
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Xense
Power Supply Silverstone Strider 750W Gold
Software Windows 7 64-bit
He may well regret having done so, but if he's had a good life, why is money a massive draw? Money can't buy happiness, as you see all the time with various celebrity drug stories. I suspect that he could have certainly led a different life, but who says that it would be better with all that cash, it doesn't sound like he's badly off anyway.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
He may well regret having done so, but if he's had a good life, why is money a massive draw? Money can't buy happiness, as you see all the time with various celebrity drug stories. I suspect that he could have certainly led a different life, but who says that it would be better with all that cash, it doesn't sound like he's badly off anyway.

Money certainly can and does buy happiness. It lifts people out of the drudgery of having to work 9-5 for somebody else or whatever job they've got, especially if it's a difficult and low grade job. They're free from money worries and can buy whatever they want. They can improve their health by getting medical treatment they need, or perhaps just taking time out to go the gym more often. There's so many ways that having money improves one's lot in life. Bliss. No wonder most people want as much of it as they can get.

Also, happiness can come from being able to help others, animals or other causes with it, perhaps by running charities. It's not all about benefitting personally from it. Take a look at Bill Gates and his charity and how much of his money he just gives away.

The fact that some people and it seems especially celebrities, abuse it and/or can't make the best of it, is no reason to say that money doesn't buy happiness. It damned well does!

Ok, I wanted to say this a couple times before, but is there even a point in comparing MS to Apple?

As I see it:
MS mostly designs software for other hardware.
Apple mostly designs hardware and gadgets , then puts their software on it.

MS is in the big market, working and coexisting with other companies to deliver the final product the user (at which point, most of the work is done by companies other than MS). While Apple lives in their own market with their proprietary designs and own shops. If anything, Apple is more like Dell, than MS, back in the days, when they used to have Dell stores all across US.

This is not a critique, but just a thought.

Yes, MS & Apple get compared quite a lot. They're both technology companies with a huge influence over people's lives, so they're in the same broad category. I remembered something about Apple overtaking MS, so I googled it and came up with that handy NY Times article. I'm sure there are better explanations of why they should be compared, but this is what I can think of at the moment.

Last edited:
Processor Intel Q9400
Motherboard asus p5q-pro
Cooling Ultra120
Memory 6GB ddr2
Video Card(s) NVS 290
Storage 3TB + 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung F2380
Case Silverstone Fortress FT02B
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply 750W PC P&C
Software win 7 ultimate 64bit
sorry, but this article made me think of this image:
Ritchie didn’t wear enough turtlenecks :laugh:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
sorry, but this article made me think of this image:
Ritchie didn’t wear enough turtlenecks :laugh:
http://mthruf.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/job-fails-ritchie-didnt-wear-enough-turtlenecks.jpg

Great point. Jobs was a showman (and used some dodgy tactics in his presentations to whip the stupid Apple faithful into a religious frenzy) and was only interested in his bottom line. Ritchie obviously wasn't about the money and gave much more to the world. Dennis Ritchie is the one I respect far more. RIP Dennis. :(

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Give me 1.35mil and I WILL start building not just MY future but the future of OTHERS.

Id start investing in properties. stockmarket and local business which will lead to bigger things like schools, hospitals and possibly goverment run projects....

right after i have a massive orgy with some hookers.

with careful investment, I will have more money then i started off with in year one if I play it correctly.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Give me 1.35mil and I WILL start building not just MY future but the future of OTHERS.

Id start investing in properties. stockmarket and local business which will lead to bigger things like schools, hospitals and possibly goverment run projects....

right after i have a massive orgy with some hookers.

with careful investment, I will have more money then i started off with in year one if I play it correctly.

Now, that's what I call being smart with your money. :rockout:

Those hookers especially, sound like an excellent idea...

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
qubit - you crack me up... writing style, content, humor and all.

Here's another tidbit:

"Wayne received a 10% stake in Apple but relinquished his stock for US$800 less than two weeks later, on April 12, 1976." Oops.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Wayne

System Name Bandit 2: Ryzen Boogaloo
Processor AMD R5 3600X
Motherboard MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Stock
Memory G.SKILL TridentZ 16GB @ 3200
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 5700XT
Storage Samsung 960 EVO m.2 500GB; Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Display(s) Viotek GN32Q
Case Fractal Design Define C
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 750
Mouse Cougar Revenger S
Keyboard ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 10 Professional
Now, that's what I call being smart with your money. :rockout:

Those hookers especially, sound like an excellent idea...

Except for the VD... :laugh: