• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte X79-UD3 and Core i7-3930K Set Records with New F7 BIOS

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
It's been a tough week or so for Gigabyte marketing. It had to admit that quite a few people had burned their motherboards, to which it offered free replacements, and isolated the problem to faulty firmware. There has been talk that this firmware cripples overclocking by throttling CPU clock speed under extreme stress. Gigabyte set out to do some myth-busting. Renowned overclocker and Gigabyte PR guy HiCookie set up a test-bench using Core i7-3930K, an "infamous" X79-UD3 motherboard running the latest version F7 BIOS, and a typical extreme-cooling bench.

HiCookie achieved 5643.2 MHz clock speed, using a base clock of 99 MHz, 57.0x multiplier, and CPU voltage of 1.584V. The rest of the test-bench consisted of Kingston HyperX Genesis memory, and Corsair AX1200W PSU. To demonstrate that this isn't a hit-and-run feat, HiCookie put the overclocked bench through Super Pi 1M and 32M and PiFast benchmarks, with record-setting scores. The CPU-Z validation can be found here. Details of the HWBot record scores can be accessed here.

A video of the benchmarks follows.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

No paid famous overclocker would convince me that those motherboards are just isn't as good as ASRock or Asus when it comes to overclocking

Nice try Gigabyte, Im not buying it

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
I'm impressed he did it on a UD3 but he also has a fan blowing hard on the VRM. A bit difficult for people with cases.

It would be great if GB released a hybrid WC/air heatsink like they had a little way back, might just be what is needed.

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
2 core 2 threads wow :laugh:

System Name beast
Processor 3930K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-X79-UD3
Cooling Noctua NH-U12P SE2011
Memory 16GB Kingston Value DDR3 1333Mhz CL9
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Aorus Elite RTX3060 12GB
Storage 1x 120GB Intel 520 and some spinny bois
Display(s) 3x DELL S2721DGF
Case Antec P182
Power Supply Corsair 750w
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10
yeah who cares about out of spec nonstandard circumstances.
sure yay its a great OC, but it still pails in comparison of the 'plug and play' style maturity and stability that Asrock and Asus UEFI patsburg boards have... I could go on for hours but cbf. so ill stop here

No paid famous overclocker would convince me that those motherboards are just isn't as good as ASRock or Asus when it comes to overclocking

Nice try Gigabyte, Im not buying it

Shamino works for ASUS and so does Andre Yang and then more, they all work for ASUS
Kingpin works for EVGA
Hicookie works for GIGABYTE

You would believe in any of the rest, but you wouldn't believe in the GB one? Seriously?

BTW there is no use in having a fan point over the VRM B/C LN2 cools the VRm from the inside out, and the circumstances aren't irregular, go over to HWBot and take a look at some of the resources these non-paid but heavily sponsored OC teams and users have.

nINJAkECIL

Processor i7 3770K@4.7ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77A-GD65
Cooling Thermalright Venomous X black
Memory V-GEN 4x4GB DDR3
Video Card(s) Zotac GTX-560Ti
Storage Crucial M4 64GB | WD Green 1TB | Seagate 1TB | Seagate 500GB
Display(s) Viewsonic VA2013WM
Case Corsair Carbide 400R
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2ZS Platinum
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win7 x64
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=371985
Still not gonna buy it :D

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm not really impressed. The VRM has been popping on people with water cooling with rather tame overclocks. I'm not surprised that the board survived when it has an LN2 pot on it, which cools the entire board around the socket, including the VRM, and he has a fan blowing right on the VRM.

But mainly, this doesn't address the throttling issue, it just kind of sidesteps it. Yes, he got records for clock speed and SuperPi, but was the CPU still throttling? What happens with all the cores enabled? Does the CPU throttle itself to the point that the overclock settings you set in the BIOS are pointless? That is what people are concerned about. It isn't about being able to set the settings in the BIOS and have them kind of work in Windows with 4 cores disabled long enough for a SuperPi run to finish, it is about achieving 24/7 clocks that aren't just numbers on the screen that aren't accurate because the board is throttling the CPU in the background under load.

I'm impressed he did it on a UD3 but he also has a fan blowing hard on the VRM. A bit difficult for people with cases.

And using LN2 is easy for people with cases?

Pretty much all the records are set by disabling as many cores as possible, standard practice for a world record run.

why would it throttle? Throttling occurs on every board at a certain point, UD3 and R4E included, loko at the forums. I have had users ask about why their R4E or UD7 or UD3 or P9P is throttling, and i tell them to put a fan over the VRM and it wont throttle, and it doesn't.

FYI fan blowing in that video is required for Ln2 OCing, not to cool anything but rather keep air moving so it doesn't condense as fast and turn into water droplets.

Benchmark Scores Faster than yours... I'd bet on it. :)

It would be great if GB released a hybrid WC/air heatsink like they had a little way back, might just be what is needed.

I'm not really impressed. The VRM has been popping on people with water cooling with rather tame overclocks. I'm not surprised that the board survived when it has an LN2 pot on it, which cools the entire board around the socket, including the VRM, and he has a fan blowing right on the VRM.

But mainly, this doesn't address the throttling issue, it just kind of sidesteps it. Yes, he got records for clock speed and SuperPi, but was the CPU still throttling? What happens with all the cores enabled? Does the CPU throttle itself to the point that the overclock settings you set in the BIOS are pointless? That is what people are concerned about. It isn't about being able to set the settings in the BIOS and have them kind of work in Windows with 4 cores disabled long enough for a SuperPi run to finish, it is about achieving 24/7 clocks that aren't just numbers on the screen that aren't accurate because the board is throttling the CPU in the background under load.

And using LN2 is easy for people with cases?

Pretty much all the records are set by disabling as many cores as possible, standard practice for a world record run.
I keep forgetting where I lay my head... people here just dont get it with extreme overclocking and benchmarking (and thats ok). +1 to you for answering those that arent privy to the world of extreme overclocking. :toast:

lol its ok, I mean people have to open their eyes some time right? A trip to HWbot might enlighten some people lol.

I mean I do understand where they are coming from. I mean if you goto OCN it is the same 90% are practical and 10% are extreme, for them it isn't an OC unless it is on all cores and all threads and prime95 or IBT stable, but that stability has to run for days, and they want to check your temps too just be sure. lol. Sometimes it is so different how different overclockers are, and what they deem to actually be an overclock. Of course then you can goto the benching sections and cooling sections of the same forum and 90% will be privy benchers and 10% will be those who want to learn. Personally I didn't really care for the extreme stuff, I mean yea i had a phase change until years back, but when i started doing LN2 that is when the real fun starts, you get a sense of satisfaction that someone who hasn't done it doesn't understand. You also begin to realize how much more this sport has to offer. Then you gotta learn OS optimization and software tweaks, and then you gotta learn what benchmarks like what OS and what hardware levels. Highest clock isn't always best, and that is hard to understand for many, someone with 100mhz less could kick your ass easily if you don't know what you are doing. Don't forget it isn't easy to control a CPU with a Cold Bug and a Cold boot bug, you have to pour so easily, you have to use different pots for different CPUs. You also gotta learn the secrets, like what thermal paste really works best, and it isn't artic ceramique.

After you have lost a few CPUs, and you don't know why, you thought it might have been voltage or it might have been the board, then you learn oh you aren't supposed to screw down the pot that hard. Then you are like damn i just messed up a lot of money, but you come out a bit smarter. Of course you had some fun too.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Benching the GA-X79-UD5 with F7 right NAOW!!!! ;)

Even for those not extreme, seems pretty good. Getting baseline benches, seems faster than F4.:eek:

Gonna be OC testing soon.

Very few "extreme" clockers here. Personally, it's a lot of work, and I got a decent amount of respect for the guys that do it. But in the end, I'll leave that to them. I don't have hardware to burn at all. IF I did...:roll:

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Cooling water
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
why would it throttle? Throttling occurs on every board at a certain point, UD3 and R4E included, loko at the forums. I have had users ask about why their R4E or UD7 or UD3 or P9P is throttling, and i tell them to put a fan over the VRM and it wont throttle, and it doesn't.

FYI fan blowing in that video is required for Ln2 OCing, not to cool anything but rather keep air moving so it doesn't condense as fast and turn into water droplets.

lol its ok, I mean people have to open their eyes some time right? A trip to HWbot might enlighten some people lol.

I mean I do understand where they are coming from. I mean if you goto OCN it is the same 90% are practical and 10% are extreme, for them it isn't an OC unless it is on all cores and all threads and prime95 or IBT stable, but that stability has to run for days, and they want to check your temps too just be sure. lol. Sometimes it is so different how different overclockers are, and what they deem to actually be an overclock. Of course then you can goto the benching sections and cooling sections of the same forum and 90% will be privy benchers and 10% will be those who want to learn. Personally I didn't really care for the extreme stuff, I mean yea i had a phase change until years back, but when i started doing LN2 that is when the real fun starts, you get a sense of satisfaction that someone who hasn't done it doesn't understand. You also begin to realize how much more this sport has to offer. Then you gotta learn OS optimization and software tweaks, and then you gotta learn what benchmarks like what OS and what hardware levels. Highest clock isn't always best, and that is hard to understand for many, someone with 100mhz less could kick your ass easily if you don't know what you are doing. Don't forget it isn't easy to control a CPU with a Cold Bug and a Cold boot bug, you have to pour so easily, you have to use different pots for different CPUs. You also gotta learn the secrets, like what thermal paste really works best, and it isn't artic ceramique.

After you have lost a few CPUs, and you don't know why, you thought it might have been voltage or it might have been the board, then you learn oh you aren't supposed to screw down the pot that hard. Then you are like damn i just messed up a lot of money, but you come out a bit smarter. Of course you had some fun too.

Hey thanks for the info on the LN run, I agree that I was off the mark about the fan.

I think you are off the mark by implying our complaints about this being a poor demonstration of a 'fix' are misinformed. A quick read over the source shows that it was Gigabyte who provided this info to Toms Hardware in response to the VRM troubles, so why would we not be critical that the 'proof' is not sufficient? What does a LN run prove to us?

Processor Xeon E5 1650 V4
Motherboard MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Cooling HYPER 212 EVO
Memory 64gb DDR4 2133
Video Card(s) XFX RADEON RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung PM951 512GB NVMe SSD
Display(s) LG 34" Ultrawide + AOC 27"
Power Supply EVGA 750 Watt
Mouse Logitech M280
Keyboard Dell SK-8135
+1 to those who noticed, 4 cores disabled with hyperthreading turned off is o big whoop, you are supposed to be testing the cpu power delivery and delivering 1/3 of the power is no big whoop

cadaveca

My name is Dave
+1 to those who noticed, 4 cores disabled with hyperthreading turned off is o big whoop, you are supposed to be testing the cpu power delivery and delivering 1/3 of the power is no big whoop

Well, I tested this new BIOS. Power consumption on my board via the 8-pin has gone UP nearly 20%, and my CPU clocks 100 MHz higher than it did before.

So, this BIOS made the board consume MORE power...kinda contrary to the idea there are issues with the VRM, isn't it?

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
idc what people say. I like mah Gigabytes

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Cooling water
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
idc what people say. I like mah Gigabytes

So do I. I'm a bit disapponted in the x79 release though. The UD7 is too big to fit in my case :shadedshu so I'm lookng at a UD5. To be honest, I'm also considering an ASUS RIVE, because of good reviews and waterblock availability (and it fits in my case).

Waiting on a couple more things, a) Cadaveca's review and b) the new stepping chips in February. Then I'll decide.