• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Advice on an upgrade from gtx 560 ti?

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
For clan matches, I would recommend:

1./ From the command console

render.perfoverlayvisible 1 - When set to 1, this command displays a small chart on the bottom left corner of the screen designed to provide you with key information about your system's performance during BF3. It shows your graphics card (GPU) usage as a green line, and your processor (CPU) usage as a yellow line. The aim is to ensure that during gameplay neither lines spike frequently to very high levels, as this indicates that the particular resource is being overtaxed, and possibly causing lag and instability. If necessary experiment with your in-game settings until you see a reduction in such spikes. Use render.perfoverlayvisible 0 to close the overlay.

2./ Play the troublesome area
3./ Reducing mesh and terrain quality. Also ambient occlusion. These cause slowdowns with complex buildings and dense map areas
4./ Play again. Any improvement on the detailed CPU and GPU stats?
5./ I would not recommend a downgrade to 1280x1024. Every pixel you lose it a headshot harder to find

ramraze

For clan matches, I would recommend:

3./ Reducing mesh and terrain quality. Also ambient occlusion. These cause slowdowns with complex buildings and dense map areas

Hey guys,

I would really need your or the testers' advice on what to do to get better performance!
I've OC-ed my graphics card, tweaked all the settings to max performance on nvidia control panel, play on all low settings with no AA or any eye-candy.

:nutkick:

System Name Black Box
Processor Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Extreme 6
Cooling Thermalright Venemous X
Memory 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 480
Storage A-Data 128GB SSD, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) HANNspree 25" 1080p 2ms
Case Lian Li PC-9F
Audio Device(s) Creative XFI
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 750w
Software Win 7 pro x64
Thanks for replying.
1) I don't have micro stutter since I'm at the moment running a single gtx 560 ti. They are natural fps drops.
2) I do casually, my gpu utilization in game ranges from 90-99% at stable temperatures. Cpu utilization ranges anywhere between 40-60 or 70 %, stable (if i remember correctly when i last checked it) depending on the map and whether it is actually in a loading pause or not. The CPU is running on stable clocks and has stable temps. I haven't actually checked for HDD activity. I haven´t ever encountered any particular HDD issues or long loading times (except for BF3 bug that occurs on every system, regardless if on HDD or SSD)
3) There are no actual skips/jumps or "stutters" per se, but only lowered fps that makes aiming harder (around 20% below refresh rate and below). It usually happens when there is a lot to render, like bigger areas with more depth of field. I haven't actually noticed BF3 pre-loading any new textures as the maps aren't as big for that, so no.
4) and no, I have memtested my ram and my loading times and ram activity seems to be fine. I don't want to overkill my ram, even 4 GB of 1333 mhz should be enough to run it. I don't think it is the issue.

There are no frame drops if i run the game in 60 hz though. Overall, by framedrops I don't mean random spikes but naturally lower fps. To be honest, I think what I'm getting on my gtx 560 ti is good enough, compared to other similarly priced and performing cards, but it just can't do 100-120 fps all of the time, which I understand.

Hope this answers your questions
4.) Actually 4GB is not enough to run your OS AND BF3. It's simply not. I know that when I had only 4GB installed, my computer was not nearly as responsive nor did it play well during games. It was erky jerky, whether it be on my old i7 rig or this AMD rig.

As for your other point, quite honestly, I'm not sure how you're NOT getting a solid 100FPS all the time with how low your settings are.
Regardless, adding a second card will help that. It'll bring up min framerates like crazy.
I was in your exact same situation 7 years ago with Counter Strike. Adding a second card helped a ton. Ironically enough, SLI doesn't scale very well with source based games because of the ancient game engine that it's using.

PS: I know what you're talking about with the monitors too. I had an old Dell CRT 19" that was 120Hz, and even though the thing was a monster, it gamed great. Still beats out most monitors for color quality, not to mention 0ms response time. Ooo yeah.

ramraze

PS: I know what you're talking about with the monitors too. I had an old Dell CRT 19" that was 120Hz, and even though the thing was a monster, it gamed great. Still beats out most monitors for color quality, not to mention 0ms response time. Ooo yeah.

NOOOOO. DOn't tell me. Don't tempt me :D

I used to play CS too, from 2001 to 2008 actually.

System Name RyzenGtEvo/ Asus strix scar II
Processor Amd R5 5900X/ Intel 8750H
Motherboard Crosshair hero8 impact/Asus
Cooling 360EK extreme rad+ 360$EK slim all push, cpu ek suprim Gpu full cover all EK
Memory Corsair Vengeance Rgb pro 3600cas14 16Gb in four sticks./16Gb/16GB
Video Card(s) Powercolour RX7900XT Reference/Rtx 2060
Storage Silicon power 2TB nvme/8Tb external/1Tb samsung Evo nvme 2Tb sata ssd/1Tb nvme
Display(s) Samsung UAE28"850R 4k freesync.dell shiter
Case Lianli 011 dynamic/strix scar2
Audio Device(s) Xfi creative 7.1 on board ,Yamaha dts av setup, corsair void pro headset
Power Supply corsair 1200Hxi/Asus stock
Mouse Roccat Kova/ Logitech G wireless
Keyboard Roccat Aimo 120
VR HMD Oculus rift
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 8726 vega 3dmark timespy/ laptop Timespy 6506
imho the issue your having could be due to texture and level load in from your hdd, ive had bf3 installed on a raid0 array and got ocasional stutters, put it onto an ssd and no slight frame drops ,

ramraze

How do i check how my hdd performs mid game ? or how can i tell

ramraze

2 random readings from my game in a 1000 ticket 64 player operation metro only

ramraze

Any input as to how to get the best minimum fps on a single card?

System Name YACS amd.
Processor 5800x, 5700g, i9-9900k
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite. or msi x570 gaming plus
Cooling bykski GPU, CPU. syscooling p93x, or sc-67f in series, or aquacomputer cpu
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 16,16,16, 36, or gskill
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx, or 6750xt watercooled. (alphacool)
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
of course, try lowering the visual detail... you know high, medium , low...

ramraze

Thanx, but read my post first. That's what I've done in the first place.

System Name YACS amd.
Processor 5800x, 5700g, i9-9900k
Motherboard gigabyte x570 aorus gaming elite. or msi x570 gaming plus
Cooling bykski GPU, CPU. syscooling p93x, or sc-67f in series, or aquacomputer cpu
Memory corsair vengeance pro rgb, 3600 ddr4 16,16,16, 36, or gskill
Video Card(s) xfx merc 310 7900xtx, or 6750xt watercooled. (alphacool)
Storage kingston kc3000 2TB, amongst others. Fanxiang s770 2TB
Display(s) benq ew3270u, or acer XB270hu, acer XB280hk, asus VG 278H,
Case lian li LANCOOL III
Audio Device(s) obs,
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti pro 1000w
Mouse logitech g703
Keyboard durogod keyboard. (cherry brown switches)
Software win 11, win10pro.
um, on second thought... reset everything to stock, install invidia's 280.26 driver so that you can see if your benchmark scores are comparable, (ie 3dmark)then, use driver sweeper to remove every last driver bit from your system, and installl the lastest nvidia driver...clean. then try the game again.

if this either to much trouble, or not going to help, then is upgrade time. since you are a "pro" gamer the fastest graphics card would make sense.

having two 560ti's in my system does improve the fps in benchmarks... it doesn't seem to help the minimum frame rate.

as a last resort, play the game for 100 hours on uber hard, at min/max detail, to train yourself at better gaming...sorry. of course for me personally, i'm SOL at gaming... not good at all, so what do i know?....