• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Anno 2070's Draconian DRM: Guru3D's Graphics Card Review Killed Off

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Anno 2070's Draconian DRM: Guru3D's Graphics Card Review Killed Off (UPDATED)

Hilbert Hagedoorn of well-known PC tech review site guru3d.com recently bought a copy of Ubisoft's Anno 2070 and wanted to use it in one of his graphics card reviews. However, he became badly unstuck. This game comes on the Steam platform and the store page states: "3rd-party DRM: Solidshield Tages SAS 3 machine activation limit". Unfortunately for Guru3D, they found out exactly what this means, which resulted in just one performance graph, an aborted review, an unplayable game - and bad publicity for Ubisoft once again. They have published an article about their experience, pledging not to use their titles again because of this DRM.

The DRM in this game works in a similar way to Microsoft's product activation, in that it creates a hash value from certain key hardware components such as the motherboard, CPU, HDD (including mere partition changes!) and graphics cards among others, then uses this information to decide if the hardware has changed sufficiently to require a reactivation. It's that last one which caused the problem: Guru3D ran out of activations when swapping out graphics cards. Ubisoft claim in their FAQ (for Anno 1404, none available for Anno 2070, should be the same) that an email to their support department will grant you a new activation, completely hassle-free. They say this twice, in fact:
Question: How often can I activate my game?
Answer: To start with, you can activate your game on three different PC configurations - if you have used up these activations, simply contact our Support team who will provide you with further activations free of charge and without hassle.
and:
Question: I have already used the activation for three different PC configurations - can I get further activations?
Answer: Yes, if you do require further activations, please contact the Support team. They will provide you with new activations free of charge and without hassle.
However, in practice, this is certainly not what happens. Hagerdoorn sent Ubisoft support an email requesting a reactivation, but still hasn't heard back from them. Then he contacted Ubisoft's marketing department, where he tells us:
When contacting Ubisoft marketing here in the Netherlands, their reply goes like this: 'Sorry to disappoint you - the game is indeed restricted to 3 hardware changes and there simply is no way to bypass that. We also do not have 7 copies of the game for you'.

I'm sorry, but I am not about to purchase the title seven times to make a review that by default benefits Ubisoft sales.

Welcome to PC gaming Anno 2012.

Please find the results of our massive VGA performance review below on the one chart. With one hand in the air I wave to Ubisoft, more puzzled about this then anything.
Given that what it says in the FAQ is at odds with what actually happens, since the customer gets significantly less than what was promised - getting stuck with an unplayable game - then Guru3D have a right to a refund, since the product isn't fit for purpose and we believe that they should pursue it.

Unsurprisingly, Guru3D's wonderful experience has been picked up elsewhere, among them Softpedia, who reported on it here and then an interesting follow-up here. In the second article, they point out four major problems with Ubisoft's super duper DRM that we believe are highly valid. We present a summary of their points here:

1 The reviewing community will be more than frustrated

The games won't be used for reviews, removing free publicity for them. In fact, there will be a notable absence of games employing this DRM, if it spreads. If the reviewer decides to jump through the reactivation hoops or buys extra copies (just sounds wrong, doesn't it?) they will voice their dissatisfaction. Loudly.

2 The new DRM can damage the consumer hardware market if other developers imitate it

The hardware lock-ins that these games impose will get more significant if this DRM is used by others such as EA, id Software etc, making the hardware market suffer. This will happen, because gamers won't want to change their hardware at all if they fear that they will lose their games. However, this doesn't seem that likely to happen in practice for a couple of reasons. The hardware manufacturers such as AMD won't be happy in getting caught in the crossfire and will likely have something to say about this. The other reason is that piracy will likely skyrocket and real sales this time will actually go down significantly.

3 Game piracy will actually gain a measure of justification

This one we feel is worth quoting in full:
The Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) was passed in the United States back in 1998 in order to impose criminal penalties on those who spread means meant to circumvent content protection technologies.

That was (arguably) all well and good, but game developers quickly found that piracy wasn't going anywhere, so they started inventing more and more ways to fight it.

Always-on DRM (which demands constant Internet connection for permission to play single-player games) was among the most controversial, though, fortunately, it is losing steam.

This new measure that Ubisoft cooked up may actually top it. In fact, this new DRM outright justifies piracy to a greater extent than some may realize.

As we have already mentioned, few people, if any, will actually feel that a game (and, by extension, a game developer) has the right to dictate how many times they are allowed to upgrade their PC.

As such, when they run out of activations, there will be no sort of moral qualms about going online and getting a cracked version, regardless of the supposed possibility to reset the activation limit.

Why bother calling support each time you buy a new hardware component, when you can just overwrite a couple of files and be spared the headache forever?

Yes, as absurd as it sounds, this DRM can actually make people who bought the game decide to get a cracked version even if the original already rests in their desk drawer.

We don't endorse piracy - if you like a game enough to play it, you should like it enough to buy it - but red lights start to blare when game developers practically encourage it themselves, unwittingly or otherwise.

The jump from there to getting the pirated game from the start is very small. Whether Ubisoft likes it or not, it is encouraging people to resort to piracy instead of discouraging this tendency.
Yes, game developers dictating if and when you're allowed to upgrade your PC! Indeed, talk about giving potential customers a strong motive to pirate your product.

4 Game developers would be better off just making their titles worth buying

Piracy will never really go away, so quit worrying about what DRM you want to infect your product with and just make it DRM-free and good, then the customers will come. If DRM must be used, then don't get so draconian over it and put in something creative, such as an invincible enemy to thrash copyists around, as was included in Serious Sam 3.

These are Softpedia's four points and we would like to add that it has been well and truly proven by the DRM-free gog.com site and the various DRM-free music sites such as Amazon, that you can run a successful business without imposing DRM and make it more successful than with it.

The four points above seem quite reasonable to us and we hope, our readers too. Also, when reading that Anno 1404 FAQ, note how many hoops the hapless honest customer has to jump through just to play their game. Quite an off-putting proposition, isn't it? Might as well just buy another game that doesn't impose this garbage on you... Of course, 'pirates' have no such problems and can run the game stripped of all its DRM. Mind you, they might get malware infected games this way, so this isn't so clever either, regardless of the morality of getting a dodgy copy.

As usual, we recommend to boycott purchasing the game over this issue, but just as importantly, don't download a dodgy copy, either. That way, Ubisoft go down in flames without being able to point the finger at 'pirates' and they'll be forced to remove this ridiculous DRM.

Well then, despite its graphical excellence, along with Guru3D, this looks like one game that certainly won't be used as a review benchmark on TechPowerUp, a significant review site on the PC enthusiast tech scene.

Ubisoft: well done in alienating your best possible promoters, all in the name of fighting 'piracy'. For shame.

Update:
Guru3D have now updated their article with the following:
Update monday Jan 16 - 2012:

We have been contacted by bluebyte over the weekend, the company that developed the Anno series. Our key has been pretty much unlocked allowing us to properly work on this article. To be continued ....
It would be nice to know a bit more detail, such as has the three machine limit been removed completely, etc. Still though, it seems unreasonable to have to jump through these bureaucratic hoops along with the wasted time and frustration just to play a game, or benchmark with it as in this case.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Thanks to treehouse for this great news tip! :toast:

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Their games suck anyway.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I'm ok with DRM when implemented and handled properly. Activation limits are fine as long as there is a quick and easy way for the consumer to re-activate when the need arises. It sounds like Ubisoft tried to do that, but didn't follow through, at least not if you try to email support for a response. Though the whole situation just started Thursday, so it has only been 48 hours that he has been waiting for a response to receive his extra activations. Also, why email them and sit and wait in the queue for a response? They give you a phone number in the manual for a reason, use it and get an instant response and instantly get re-activated, and I bet it isn't nearly as big of a deal if you do that.

Their games suck anyway.

Actually Anno 2070 is a pretty bad ass game, so is the Assassin's Creed series.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Also, why email them and sit and wait in the queue for a response? They give you a phone number in the manual for a reason, use it and get an instant response and instantly get re-activated, and I bet it isn't nearly as big of a deal if you do that.

Have you tried phoning them for a reactivation then? Did they reset you on the spot? That would help mitigate the problem somewhat, but is still a pain in the ass that I don't feel people should have to go through. The way Steam does it is way better. Period.

EDIT: I've just remembered that Ubisoft's marketing department told guru3d that it's three activations and that's it. A far cry from what the FAQ says, which makes all the difference.

Last edited:
System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
Pirating isn't always so appealing either. Looking this up on the bay it seems like it's one of those everyone is having a zillion problems releases, and no crack for the latest patch. Though maybe the increased attention from this will make it happen.

Actually Anno 2070 is a pretty bad ass game, so is the Assassin's Creed series.

Assassins creed is a terrible game. I could barely tolerate it for 5 minutes. It's the embodiment of dull and watered down you always get when you don't trust the intelligence of your audience. Though unfortunately they're usually right to doubt the consumers intelligence.

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
Anno 2070 is not a bad ass game, between the terrible DRM, and the fact that it runs on a single thread the game is just not fun to play. I was excited to try it out, but the more I read about it the more I heard it was just not worth the time, money, and frustration.

I have not bought a Ubistink game in years, even if its DRM free I refuse to give them as cent.
I upgrade hardware often and would like to use my games on my other computers.

If games like theme hosptial and the old medal of honor games, had this DRM I would had to chuck the discs years ago.

I don't care you can contact them about it, You should not have to.

(NOTE: Not buying it does not mean I pirate it. It is stupid to add the to statistic that only supports their use of this crap.)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
(NOTE: Not buying it does not mean I pirate it. It is stupid to add the to statistic that only supports their use of this crap.)

Exactly. I agree with your whole post, but this bit is especially important. Just vote with your wallet and they'll go down in flames.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000
I thought Ubisoft promised to stop with the overly excessive DRM bullshit not too long ago?

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
I thought Ubisoft promised to stop with the overly excessive DRM bullshit not too long ago?

That's the "always-online" DRM, which they did stop using.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

Also, weren't Ubisoft the ones that released some game DRM-free, saw it copied all over the place, yet still sold handsomely, yet they bitched about it and said never again?

If someone can google for an article on this (I'm feeling lazy after the effort of writing this article, lol) then that would help for future articles on them.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg

Never trust the french.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
Also, weren't Ubisoft the ones that released some game DRM-free, saw it copied all over the place, yet still sold handsomely, yet they bitched about it and said never again?

If someone can google for an article on this (I'm feeling lazy after the effort of writing this article, lol) then that would help for future articles on them.

Well, I got this one.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Well, I got this one.

Thanks, but it's not quite what I was thinking of. It was totally DRM-free with no catches and despite the sales, they still weren't happy. :rolleyes:

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
This is what cracks are for when crappy company's do this you turn to cracks

System Name Graphics Card Free...
Processor Ryzen 5 5600G
Motherboard MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX Wifi
Cooling Cryorig M9a w/ BeQuiet! PureWings 2 ~ 92mm
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 3200 ~ 16GB(2x8GB)
Storage Samsung EVO 870 SSD - 1TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2
Case Cardboard...
Power Supply eVGA SuperNova 550w G3
Mouse Logitech t400 Zone Touch Mouse
Keyboard IBM Model "M" Keyboard
Software Manjaro ~ KDE Plasma
Benchmark Scores She's a Runner!
UbiSoft? Is this the company that ruined Far Cry?

LC

mediasorcerer

System Name THE MEDIAMACHINE
Processor i5-3570k
Motherboard Asus gene v z-77 matx.
Cooling Antec h20 620
Memory 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws z 2400
Video Card(s) h.i.s radeon 7950 reference 3 gb- hooray!!!
Storage samsung 128gb~830 ssd. samsung 500gb hdrive.
Display(s) 22 inch tele.
Case circa 1996 grey rat box with no sides front.until my own is finished
Audio Device(s) inbuilt creative.supreme effects 3
Power Supply thermaltake tt-500w
Software win 7 x64-
Benchmark Scores Coming soon
Well done qubit great catch mate, thanks for staying on all this terrible corporate advantage taking of consumers who just want to pay the money and have a good time, not be utterly flabbergasted by malignant corporate whiplash policy that critically effects our ability to consume and enjoy, a privelege we PAY FOR .

It is not our fault there are pirates out there who copy, stop dumping it on us ubisoftcocks!!!:nutkick:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Have you tried phoning them for a reactivation then? Did they reset you on the spot? That would help mitigate the problem somewhat, but is still a pain in the ass that I don't feel people should have to go through. The way Steam does it is way better. Period.

EDIT: I've just remembered that Ubisoft's marketing department told guru3d that it's three activations and that's it. A far cry from what the FAQ says, which makes all the difference.

Most people won't go through it, and the rare instance they do phoning them up and resetting the activations isn't a big deal. I do it daily with Windows, it is a fine system.

And I really don't care what the marketing department says, they aren't tech support, they don't have the power to reset activations, and hence what they say doesn't matter. And because Hilbert Hagedoorn couldn't be bothered to call tech support and instead made a big write-up because they didn't return an email instantly we really don't know the real answer.

And since I don't own the game, I can't exactly call to have it re-activated. That should be an avenue the person writing the article bashing the system should have done before writing the article bashing they system...

Generally though when I see "Contact technical support" I don't think "I'll email them and should get an instant response."

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758

What happens to people in non-european countries or countries without a ubisoft office? International calls every time you want to re-activate? No thanks.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
And since I don't own the game, I can't exactly call to have it re-activated.

Ok, it seemed like you owned it, from your previous reply.

Yes, you have a point about the phone activation. However, if you go to the Ubisoft support page linked to in the English language FAQ, you notice two things:

1 It's in German! (well, it's not English, put it that way ;) )

2 There doesn't appear to be a phone number or email address

This is hardly hassle-free and this very much gives the impression of a company that doesn't care about its customers.

Also, silkstone makes a very good point:

What happens to people in non-european countries or countries without a ubisoft office? International calls every time you want to re-activate? No thanks.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 13900ks
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Man I really want to play this. it looks really sweet.

vrdublu

Processor i7 3930K @ 4.2Ghz 1.26V :)
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X79
Cooling WC Galore
Memory 16Gb Kingston 2133
Video Card(s) Dual GTX 580 SLI Watercooled
Storage OCZ Vertex 3 SSD/Raid 0 + 2x WD Black 640/Raid 0
Display(s) Asus 27" @ 1920 x 1080
Case Corsair 800D
Audio Device(s) On Board High Def. Sennheiser PC360
Power Supply Seasonic 850W
Software W7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Never trust the french.

The most idiotic statement of this entire post. Ohh and btw, " a lot" is not one word, genius. :slap: I know this and English is my second language.

System Name Frankenstein v7
Processor Intel i7 2600K (@ stock)
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB DDR3 @ 1866MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 7870 WindForce 2GB
Storage Samsung F3 1TB HDD
Display(s) Samsung S24C750
Case Antec P280
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Elite Pro
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Pro - 64-bit
Query..

Q.. with all due respect Sir, I cannot find anything you refer to in regards to Ubisoft's online support being as difficult as you state. In fact, all my searches have revealed everything easy to use (complete with tutorials on how to use Tech Support), perfectly fine in English, as well as their European Main office's site being in Dutch (which Mr Hagedoorn has no probs with, naturally), not German.
Perhaps you can provide a link to satisfy my curiosity if nothing else? :p

Piracy will always have more questions than answers associated with it in regards to getting around such an issue as you've mentioned. Even in Real Life™ one finds examples of blatant transgressions (I won't point and stare at China..), yet no progress seems to be stifled, as it can never be eradicated fully.

I do feel compelled to add: Guru3D is a great site that I've enjoyed for a great many years, but they also fall prey to being part of the 'sensationalism' crowd to boost or bolster their image, all for the sake of a few more potential hits on their site (which is heavily ad-sponsored, albeit for a good reason).
More exposure == more hits == more money from advertisers; et cetera, ad infinitum, ad nauseum :/
In my, obviously no so humble, opinion this is driven by oh-mighty-dollar, rather than truly having the end-user in mind - regardless of the camp you're part of.

Great awareness raiser though ;)