• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need advice on what to do with ssd

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
I upgraded to a Vertex 3 ssd from a Vertex 2. I'm thinking of selling it but also thinking should I, or can I use this drive to utilize Intel's rapid storage software? and would it be worth it or not? The Vertex 3 is 6/gb's speed as the V2 is 3/GB's

If below helps....
all my games and such are on a WD 1TB 6GB's/sec Black Edition spin drive.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
Do you actually notice a difference in speed between them... im not talking about benchmarks here, actual real world useage.
I ask as I have an old (2008) kingston SSD drive thats slow according to benchmarks and the fastest SATA 6gb/s corsair SSD available and i cant tell the speed difference in actual real world computer useage.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Do you actually notice a difference in speed between them... im not talking about benchmarks here, actual real world useage.
I ask as I have an old (2008) kingston SSD drive thats slow according to benchmarks and the fastest SATA 6gb/s corsair SSD available and i cant tell the speed difference in actual real world computer useage.
Yes in daily things as an Example... I run Crap cleaner aka CCleaner and thumbnail is selected as being cleaned. The drive needs to get the info to display the Thumb nail pic when I open up the picture folder... and 6gb's vs 3gb's is really noticeable... plus WEI gives my ssd a score of 7.9 vs 7.6 to 7.7 depending on the day lol

Booting seems the same...

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
well if you can notice the diff's then thats good i guess... i weas a bit pissed spending £200 for my SATA 6gb/s drive when it was first launched not to notice any diffs with my old "slow" kingston sata II SSD :D

If I were you id use that drive as a scratch disk if you use photoshop, bideo editing software... or install games and some programs to it for quick loading off of the OS disk.

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Yeah I only really noticed a difference when running the latest drivers, and Im not talking about the ones from the Asus site.... Bloody hell mate! These guys need to get there act together already. Why do I need to go to Intel's site to get latest fixes.

Prime example... My new Asus Maximus Extreme IV Z-68 mobo!
All of a sudden I was getting USB 3.0 overvoltage warnings poping up all over the place... Asus tell me its the mobo thats buggered.... :slap: Umm NO!!! It's Asus not updating and letting there guys know of the fixes to post in there D/L section.... One was a driver update and the other was a Firmware update... It's been over 24hr's now and this mobo has been nothing except perfect :rockout:

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
Is this a whole new sandybridge system or just the new mobo?
I ask as you seem very excited just like i was when i upgraded to mine.. best system ive ever owned ;)

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Is this a whole new sandybridge system or just the new mobo?
I ask as you seem very excited just like i was when i upgraded to mine.. best system ive ever owned ;)
Yuuuup lol! Hole new SB system. I dumped the AMD rig after the huge Bulldozer Fail.... See the side for my spec's

I agree! Intel is the Bomb! Cant believe I supported them for so long ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I'm thinking of selling it but also thinking should I, or can I use this drive to utilize Intel's rapid storage software? and would it be worth it or not?

Yeah, you can give it a try.

You kinda need to have OS installed with controlelr in RAID mode, or you gotta do some registry hacks first. Also, the gains are not immediate, as it takes soem usage before commonly loaded apps are put on the SSD, so the best i can recommend is that you use it for a month or so before coming to any conclusions.

There are two modes, too, one is like full RAID, and if SSD dies, data on it is lost, while the other will have your data safe if SSD dies.

Also, you can only use one combo like that, drives must be on Intel ports, works with RAID, and single drives.

UH, hmm, if you have questions, I gots answers! ;)

fullinfusion

Vanguard Beta Tester
Yeah, you can give it a try.

You kinda need to have OS installed with controlelr in RAID mode, or you gotta do some registry hacks first. Also, the gains are not immediate, as it takes soem usage before commonly loaded apps are put on the SSD, so the best i can recommend is that you use it for a month or so before coming to any conclusions.

There are two modes, too, one is like full RAID, and if SSD dies, data on it is lost, while the other will have your data safe if SSD dies.

Also, you can only use one combo like that, drives must be on Intel ports, works with RAID, and single drives.

UH, hmm, if you have questions, I gots answers! ;)

Thanks Dave. I think I should just sell this drive... ya know keep it simple :rockout:

But im going to sit on the fence with this one for a bit and debate if its worth it or not.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
Thanks Dave. I think I should just sell this drive... ya know keep it simple :rockout:

But im going to sit on the fence with this one for a bit and debate if its worth it or not.

if i were you id sit on the fence and mass-debate over your drive :D

lol, sorry... yeah SB kicks ass! i cant see anything taxing my 2600K for many years!

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
Processor W3520 Xeon
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth X58
Cooling Cool it Vantage
Memory 6gb Dominators
Video Card(s) GTX 460
Storage 60Gb Vertex II 500Gb storage
Display(s) LG 42LH40 42" 1080P
Case 932 HAF
Audio Device(s) Voices in my head
Power Supply Raidmax730/
Software Win7Pro64
Benchmark Scores Pretty High one's. but it's not a contest/ I just read them for the articles.
intel rapid storage will stop the ocz toolbox from working fyi, i ran into this updating firmware