• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Pirate Bay Unveils "Portable Site", RIAA/MPAA's Worst Nightmare Weighs 90 Megabytes

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
@Mailman.. Might as well give up man. People will take/have/be entitled to whatever they want. Piracy is just a drop in the bucket in this case. I don't want to get too much further into it, but as you can see there's this "financial crisis" happening all over the world. Why? Entitlements to those that don't work for them. We have become a welfare world and it's too late to change that until eveything crashes and dies. So.. chin up little buddy, might as well get with the gettin' while the gettin' is good.

I get a lot of my television through the Pirate Bay. I have my usb stick ready.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
@MailMan.. Might as well give up man. People will take/have/be entitled to whatever they want. Piracy is just a drop in the bucket in this case. I don't want to get too much further into it, but as you can see there's this "financial crisis" happening all over the world. Why? Entitlements to those that don't work for them. We have become a welfare world and it's too late to change that until eveything crashes and dies. So.. chin up little buddy, might as well get with the gettin' while the gettin' is good.

I get a lot of my television through the Pirate Bay. I have my usb stick ready.

I must say, this is one of the best posts I have seen in a VERY long time here at TPU.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Its not a troll. Its a fact. Its a tool for junkies. Torrent junkies.

High horse? Because I believe in personal responsibility and hard work I'm on a high horse? Ill tell you what man. When the S#!t hits the fan people who subscribe to this "everything should be free" attitude are gonna have a rude awakening.

good information technology etc should be free. It isnt anyones problem that artists etc still blow 10k on photoshop and cant sell shit. didnt like gigabyte or something steal your logo for their black ops cards? that must have totally sucked. I cant wait for the global collapse of commerce for the free market. I doubt ill be alive to see it but i admit I love the build up.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
good information technology etc should be free.

There's nothing that says anything should be free, other than people's own opinion's of self-entitlement.

Because it's based on personal opinion, this discussion can go nowhere. I'm surprised you guys are still at it.

Anyway, if something is good, and helps(whether morally, or jsut helps pass the time), you should be more than willing to pony up some comphensation. Many do, many do not. The issue resolves around those that do pay, and those that do not.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
The media your software ships in is just a 'container'. If you bought a copy of Windows and happened to break its media (evil cat scratched the hell out of it), then it's not only ethical, but also legal to get an .iso from a torrent-site, burn it, and use the key your copy came with when installing the software.

Now if your cat was an evil reincarnation of Hitler that is plotting to kill you, and also happened to scratch off the key sticker, then I guess it's 'ethical' to download a crack, you know you paid for the software. And later deal with the cat.

Moot point. I don't own a cat, but I know not to leave things that have a large expense associated with them laying around for a cat (or whatever) to destroy.

I agree with MM in everything he says. It is only unfortunate that I have dabbled in the black arts, and so can not be as shiny as he is. I do not torrent now though.

You get what you work for.

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Moot point. I don't own a cat, but I know not to leave things that have a large expense associated with them laying around for a cat (or whatever) to destroy.

I agree with MM in everything he says. It is only unfortunate that I have dabbled in the black arts, and so can not be as shiny as he is. I do not torrent now though.

You do realise that the media the software ships in is called a "media" (something that facilitates the transfer of something else) in the first place, for the simple reason that that's what it's meant to do? It's a container. A nice shiny container. It's the right to use the software that you're paying for.

Last edited:
Reactions: w3b

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

MM has - shock! - downloaded illegally before, but also doesn't do this any more. He's confessed to this in several posts in other threads now, so he's not 100% shiny either. Don't feel too bad about it. ;)

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
I mostly download back ups of the stuff I own. cds/dvds get damaged, i'm lazy to rip my cds/dvds, i downloaded stuff while waiting for my orders to arrive via the post office. over 90% of my stuff is legal. too bad companies don't provide a way for customers to download legal back up copies of the stuff they legally own.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Then who will pay for "bad information technology etc"?

I just hear(read) a lot of "I don't want to pay for anything, so the economy can crash. Doesn't matter to me."

Of course, once it does crash, and you cannot go to the store to get a grain of rice or a sip of milk, they won't be happy either. It's a silly discussion that barely even deserves to be discussed.

You either contribute to society, and the economy, or you don't. It's pretty clear what side most are on, and the correllation between those that contribute to society, and those who are successful, tend to be the same group. I don't think I need to finish that thought, do I? Hmm, by some of the posts here, maybe I should.

But why bother?

Now, back to benching for a review. :laugh:

D

Deleted member 67555

There's nothing that says anything should be free, other than people's own opinion's of self-entitlement.

Because it's based on personal opinion, this discussion can go nowhere. I'm surprised you guys are still at it.

Anyway, if something is good, and helps(whether morally, or jsut helps pass the time), you should be more than willing to pony up some comphensation. Many do, many do not. The issue resolves around those that do pay, and those that do not.

I agree and disagree with this...I have no problem paying for what I want..I do have a problem with being forced to pay for a bunch of poo that I don't want in order to get it..

And I don't feel bad for these people either...I can't tell you how many times I bought a CD thinking it was good only to find out the only good song was the one that was free to hear on the radio...Or how many times I've bought software only to have it unusable because of bugs and it never got fixed and here I was thinking I was buying a reliable product.

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-13700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 32GB(2x16) DDR5@6600MHz G-Skill Trident Z5
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 AMP Holo
Storage 2TB SK Platinum P41 SSD + 4TB SanDisk Ultra SSD + 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 3440x1440@100Hz G-Sync
Case NZXT PHANTOM410-BK
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium PCIe
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech Hero G502 SE
Software Windows 11 Pro - 64bit
Benchmark Scores 30FPS in NFS:Rivals
I have never used a torrent in my life. I don't even know how. No joke.

Indeed. Before torrents, you "borrowed" a game from a friend on floppies or tape/music CDs, even a video tape with some movie?? If you say you didn't I call you a LIAR. Actually, everything is borrowing from the friends. The thing with torrents is I can borrow stuff from my friends across the oceans, continents, etc. Is not like I am going to sell their stuff. Watch and delete. Listen and delete. Play and delete. Just like borrowing stuff from by best friend. ;) Only in this case give back means delete.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Then who will pay for "bad information technology etc"?

probably the asians. dont they buy the shirts of the teams that lost the world cup super bowel etc?

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
You do realise that the media the software ships in is called a "media" (something that facilitates the transfer of something else) in the first place, for the simple reason that that's what it's meant to do? It's a container. A nice shiny container. It's the right to use the software that you're paying for.

My point is that I will keep things of value nice and safe, so I would not have to resort to pirating in the firs place.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
MM has - shock! - downloaded illegally before, but also doesn't do this any more. He's confessed to this in several posts in other threads now, so he's not 100% shiny either. Don't feel too bad about it. ;)

Sigh. Ignorance is bliss to you I guess.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I agree and disagree with this...I have no problem paying for what I want..I do have a problem with being forced to pay for a bunch of poo that I don't want in order to get it..

And I don't feel bad for these people either...I can't tell you how many times I bought a CD thinking it was good only to find out the only good song was the one that was free to hear on the radio...Or how many times I've bought software only to have it unusable because of bugs and it never got fixed and here I was thinking I was buying a reliable product.

Like BTA said..someone has to pay for the bad software, so that good softwre cn be developed, basedon the faults the bad has.

Really, I look at life in general with the attitude "You gotta have the bad to know what good is". Ying-Yang...all that. These thoughts centered around good vs. evil..all of it...it's an esotherical thought, but it's true.

I don't need to "pirate" anything to figure this out. However, the same thing keep me fomr being a "pirate".

Anyway, recently someone pirated some stuff of mine. Of course, most don't ahve this example, so don't have any perspective..they've never seen the bad side of it, so I don't find them entirely at fault, but it's kinda ignorant to ignore the big picture. Rather than treat the symptoms...you need to treat the source of the problem...and bad software just isn't the source of the problem.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Sigh. Ignorance is bliss to you I guess.

Oh yeah, so just how am I 'ignorant'? lol. Let's see if you can give a straight answer to this one. :laugh:

My post is quite clear for anyone to understand and sets the record straight...

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
we should let up on personal insults and attacks and stick to facts. like the missed comma in my post above and the foolish responses and retorts to that post which was unfortunetely taken out of context.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
My point is that I will keep things of value nice and safe, so I would not have to resort to pirating in the firs place.

And my point is if you've purchased software, and happened to merely break its media (accidents happen), then getting its .iso from a torrent-site and using your key is not illegal.

The media is not the product, your license to use the software is the product.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
And my point is if you've purchased software, and happened to merely break its media (accidents happen), then getting its .iso from a torrent-site and using your key is not illegal.

I love Fish and chips!

T

twilyth

No one is going to listen, but I'll say it anyway. If there were a little less absolutism and a little more flexibility, I think things would work out just fine.

I never thought I would hold Microsoft up as an example, but what they did with their Technet program was pure genius - especially in how they implemented it. They said, give us $150 per year and we'll give you license keys to most of our software - every OS, Office and huge pile of other stuff - not everything, but damn near everything.

Further, we'll justify that by pretending that you're a "developer" and you need all this shit for "testing." As long as we don't see software keyed to your account logging in from Somalia, Afghanistan and other lawless regions, like Belgium for example, we're cool. But most people who subscribe aren't developing jack - at least not on their home machines. I'm quite sure this comes as no surprise to folks in Redmond either.

It's a perfect example of 'you give me something I think is valuable and I'll return the favor.' They know that as long as they only go after egregious abusers of the licenses, they'll get paid and their user base will be happy. As long as you're willing to be fair and flexible, things will work out. It's when you start getting the damned lawyers involved that it all goes to shit.

cadaveca

My name is Dave

The media is not the product, your license to use the software is the product.

Most companies will replace broken media for a small fee, even. I've used such services from Microsoft, Apple, and gmae companies. Never paid more than $15, shipping included.

And the whole reason they replace the media is quite specifically as you state...tehy are selling a liscence to the software, not the software itself. The actual disc itself holds very little value, period, and having a physical copy of software DOES NOT entitle you to a liscence to use it.

And because of that, things like Ubisoft's always-online DRM doesn't bother me one bit. IF access to teh media wasn't so easy via place like Pirate Bay...there'd be no need for DRM. Having used software since long before torrents, I realize that the inception of pervasive DRM has grown along with torrenting and similar softwares. There's no real question of which was hte chicken, and which was the egg.

btarunr

Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Software Windows 11 Pro
Most companies will replace broken media for a small fee, even. I've used such services from Microsoft, Apple, and gmae companies. Never paid more than $15, shipping included.

And the whole reason they replace the media is quite specifically as you state...tehy are selling a liscence to the software, not the software itself. The actual disc itself holds very little value, period, and having a physical copy of software DOES NOT entitle you to a liscence to use it.

That kind of media-replacement is a scam on companies' part. What they're doing is making you pay for what is essentially part of the packaging of the software. Software is not a physical object. The disc the software ships in is not software, it's like the plastic jewel-case the disc ships in, which is like the paperboard cover the jewel-case ships in.

One exception would be software that's shipped on Sony DADC SecuROM discs, in such cases, the media is also a component in the software (part of its DRM), and so it would be fair to buy replacement media from companies for a nominal fee.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
No one is going to listen, but I'll say it anyway. If there were a little less absolutism and a little more flexibility, I think things would work out just fine.

I never thought I would hold Microsoft up as an example, but what they did with their Technet program was pure genius - especially in how they implemented it. They said, give us $150 per year and we'll give you license keys to most of our software - every OS, Office and huge pile of other stuff - not everything, but damn near everything.

Further, we'll justify that by pretending that you're a "developer" and you need all this shit for "testing." As long as we don't see software keyed to your account logging in from Somalia, Afghanistan and other lawless regions, like Belgium for example, we're cool. But most people who subscribe aren't developing jack - at least not on their home machines. I'm quite sure this comes as no surprise to folks in Redmond either.

It's a perfect example of 'you give me something I think is valuable and I'll return the favor.' They know that as long as they only go after egregious abusers of the licenses, they'll get paid and their user base will be happy. As long as you're willing to be fair and flexible, things will work out. It's when you start getting the damned lawyers involved that it all goes to shit.

Brilliant point. :) Show absolutism the door.

I've bought one TechNet sub so far and got thousands upon thousands of grand of software - and all legit. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate, Office 2003 (yes, I prefer it) and various server OSs, all from this one purchase. On top of that, you get multiple keys for each product. What a bargain! :rockout:

If Windows 8 isn't a total dog when it comes out, I'll renew my licence then specifically to get it.