• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Blizzard Sues Valve over DOTA name

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Can't say I didn't expect this, though I was wondering if it would really happen since DOTa is just a mod. But with Kotick at the helm, I guess it was a matter of when, not if.

1. By this Opposition, Blizzard seeks to prevent registration by its competitor Valve Corporation ("Valve") of a trademark, DOTA, that for more than seven years has been used exclusively by Blizzard and its fan community, under license from Blizzard. By virtue of that use, the DOTA mark has become firmly associated in the mind of consumers with Blizzard, including to signify a highly popular scenario or variant of one of Blizzard's best-selling computer games, Warcraft III. Over the past seven years, the mark DOTA has been used exclusively in connection with Blizzard and its products, namely Warcraft III. Most notably, DOTA has been used as the popular name of a Warcraft III software "mod" file that has been distributed, marketed, and promoted by Blizzard and its fans (under license from Blizzard)

2. In contrast to Blizzard, Applicant Valve Corporation ("Valve") has never used the mark DOTA in connection with any product or service that currently is available to the public. By attempting to register the mark DOTA, Valve seeks to appropriate the more than seven years of goodwill that Blizzard has developed in the mark DOTA and in its Warcraft III computer game and take for itself a name that has come to signify the product of years of time and energy expended by Blizzard and by fans of Warcraft III. Valve has no right to the registration it seeks. If such registration is issued, it not only will damage Blizzard, but also the legions of Blizzard fans that have worked for years with Blizzard and its products, including by causing consumers to falsely believe that Valve's products are affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by Blizzard and are related or connected to Warcraft III. Blizzard and Warcraft III

3. Blizzard is one of the world's most respected and popular makers of entertainment software. Blizzard is engaged in the business of developing, financing, producing, marketing and distributing high-quality computer software games and related products, including the Warcraft®, World of Warcraft®, StarCraft® and Diablo® gaming franchises. Blizzard and its brands are known throughout the United States and the world as a source of high-quality, challenging and immersive video games and related products.

4. Since 1994, Blizzard has, in conjunction with its licensed partners, created and developed the Warcraft® franchise of computer games, novels and other media. The Warcraft® franchise includes three real-time strategy computer games (each of which has sold millions of copies), several add-on expansions to these games, the world's best selling online role-playing game "World of Warcraft," tabletop board games, collectible card games, novels, comics, action figures, posters, and other media. Blizzard is the owner of numerous registered trademarks in the mark Warcraft® and owns copyrights in each of the Warcraft® games, including "Warcraft," "Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness," "Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal," "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos," and "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" (collectively, the "Warcraft Games"). The Warcraft Games are widely considered among the most popular in their genres.

5. The Warcraft Games are known for their deep and detailed mythology, which is present in each of the games. All of the Warcraft Games take place in the mythical world of Azeroth, which is populated by an enormous variety of distinctive mythical creatures, including a race of sentient, god-like trees known as the "Ancients." The "Ancients" are prominent and recurring characters in the Warcraft Games and the Warcraft "universe" as a whole.

6. "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos" was released by Blizzard in 2002. The following year, Blizzard released an expansion to "Reign of Chaos" entitled "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" (collectively, "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos" and "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" are referred to as "Warcraft III"). The release of Blizzard's Warcraft III was one of the most anticipated and commercially successful computer game releases of all time. Tens of millions of copies of Warcraft III have been sold around the world. Warcraft III has enjoyed long-lasting success due to its robust and cutting-edge online multiplayer component (which may be accessed and enjoyed through Blizzard's well-known Battle.net online multiplayer network), its detailed and richly populated world, and its multitude of custom maps (created both by Blizzard and its community).

Blizzard And The Warcraft World Editor
7. Blizzard provides to every purchaser of Warcraft III a powerful and fullfeatured software program known as the "World Editor." The World Editor enables members of the public to use Warcraft III's underlying software and graphical art assets, including the character art, sounds and terrain models of the underlying game to create custom items, maps, characters, environments and campaigns (also known as a "modification" or "mod"). A user also can use the World Editor to create custom artificial intelligence scripts for computer-controlled units, change the placement of the camera, and modify the strength or abilities of individual units. Once a Warcraft III mod is complete, the World Editor permits users to save the mod as a small computer file that can be shared with other players to allow them to play the mod using their own Warcraft III software. Mod files made with the World Editor cannot be played without first installing and loading a copy of Blizzard's Warcraft III game software.

8. Use of the World Editor (and Warcraft III) is subject to the terms of an End User License Agreement ("EULA") between Blizzard and users of Warcraft III. The EULA sets forth the relative rights and responsibilities of the parties regarding their use of Warcraft III and the World Editor. The EULA is displayed to users during the installation of Warcraft III and the World Editor. All users of Warcraft III and the World Editor must consent to the EULA by clicking on a button labeled "Accept." If the user declines to assent, he or she may click a button labeled "Decline," at which point the installation will terminate, denying access to the user. If a user declines to accept the EULA, he or she may request and obtain a full refund from Blizzard of the purchase
price.

Source

The Jargon goes on and on if you want to read it all in the link, but reading just a few of these will give you the jist of it.

Last edited:
Processor Core i5 4460
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97-D3H
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Memory 1x 8GB DDR3 @ 900Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1660 6GB OC
Storage Patriot Blast 240GB SSD; Caviar Black 500 GB; Caviar Green 1 TB
Display(s) Dell U2311H (23'' IPS)
Power Supply FSP Hyper 700
Mouse Sharkoon Fireglider
Software Win 10 Pro 64-bit
As much as I hate stuff like this, this time Blizzard is not the main bad guy.
Valve tried to trademark the Dota name, and that's just BS

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
As much as I hate stuff like this, this time Blizzard is not the main bad guy.
Valve tried to trademark the Dota name, and that's just BS

According to their claim Valve is trying to cash in on Blizzard's hard work, it says right there they spent 7 years developing DotA!!!

Remind me when a single Blizzard developer EVER touched the code for DotA. Icefrog picked up where others left off and has spent the past couple years turning DotA from a very niche Custom Game to one of the most competative games\mods in E-Sports. I think Icefrog has more rights to the name than Blizzard, since anyone who's followed DotA extensively will tell you he's put more time and effort into DotA than any single person.

Processor Core i5 4460
Oh, Blizzard is a bad guy, of course, I did not say otherwise. But Valve is trying to trademark something they have no right to, imho.

As for Blizzard's hard work - their hard work was making a good Warcraft 3 editor. If they are really claiming to have made dota in any way, than that's probably even worse than what Valve's doing.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Blizzard doesn't own the name of DotA. Valve didn't try to trademark DotA, they trademarked Dota 2. Notice Blizzard didn't sue until well after they announced Blizzard DOTA.

As a fan of both companies, I think Blizzards claim is without merit. DotA had little to do with Blizzard as a developer and is derived from their work on Warcraft III.

Personally, I would prefer Valve to call it something else, but I'm sure they want fans of the genre and the mod to recognize that Dota 2 is a fully-backed continuation of the mod they love. Call it VotA or something.

System Name Chachamaru-IV | Retro Battlestation
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X | Intel Pentium II 450MHz
Motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX X570-F Gaming | MSI MS-6116 (Intel 440BX chipset)
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
Memory 32GB Corsair DDR4-3000 (16-20-20-38) | 512MB PC133 SDRAM
Video Card(s) nVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 FE | 3dfx Voodoo3 3000
Storage 1TB WD_Black SN850 NVME SSD (OS), Toshiba 3TB (Storage), Toshiba 3TB (Steam)
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G5 27" @ 1440p144 & Dell P2312H @ 1080p60
Case SilverStone Seta A1 | Beige box
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Speakers), Creative Zen Hybrid headset | Sound Blaster AWE64
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 750 G2 | 250W ASETEC
Mouse Roccat Kone Air| Microsoft Serial Mouse v2.0A
Keyboard Vortex Race3 | Dell AT102W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Pro | Microsoft Windows 98SE
Blizzard has no right to the name as it is not one of their franchises, it is merely a community mod for one of their games. The wording of the complaint gives the impression that Blizzard has a hand in development, which is like saying Bethesda had a hand in the Morroblivion mod.

Granted, it may not be appropriate for Valve to try to trademark it as it is a pre-existing entity, but Blizzard has no legal recourse for suing them over it.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Oh, Blizzard is a bad guy, of course, I did not say otherwise. But Valve is trying to trademark something they have no right to, imho.

As for Blizzard's hard work - their hard work was making a good Warcraft 3 editor. If they are really claiming to have made dota in any way, than that's probably even worse than what Valve's doing.

Actually Valve hired Icefrog, and since he's the guy with the most time tweaking DOTA, I think they would have the most right. Rather than Valve just using their own devs to make a sequel (which they easily could have done) they went out and hired a well known member of the community to direct how the game is made, I do like it when companies go out of their way to do things like that.

System Name Multiple - Win7, Win10, Kubuntu
Processor Intel Core i7 3820 OC@ 4.0 GHz
Motherboard Asus P9X79
Cooling Noctua NH-L12
Memory Corsair Vengeance 32GB 1333MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire ATI Radeon RX 480 8GB
Storage Samsung SSD: 970 EVO 1TB, 2x870 EVO 250GB,860 Evo 250GB,850 Evo 250GB, WD 4x1TB, 2x2TB, 4x4TB
Display(s) Asus PB328Q 32' 1440p@75hz
Case Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper
Power Supply Corsair HX750, HX550, Galaxy 520W
Mouse Multiple, Razer Mamba Elite, Logitech M500
Keyboard Multiple - Lenovo, HP, Dell, Logitech
Valve is out of their mind imo

System Name Norfree
Processor i5 3570k @4.4
Motherboard Gigabyte UD5H
Cooling 212 Evo
Memory 4x4GB Kingston 1600 @ 1833 9cl
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro Fury
Storage Corsair SSD, WD Black
Display(s) 1080p TV
Case Corsair 300-R
Audio Device(s) Auzentech Prelude > Fidelio X2s and AD-700s
Power Supply PCP&C Silent 950w
Software Win 10 Pro 64
well there's another point of respect loss for Blizzard. What's going on with that company? greedy bastards

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
If it was Ice Frog which sued Valve, that would be understandable. But Ice Frog was never a part of Blizzard. He was the only one left from the original team who made DoTA.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Blizzard did say that whatever content we create in their games belong to them.

I personally don't care what they name their games, as long as its good. I don't mind playing Big Rigs 2: under the legends if the gameplay is completely the same as DotA.

Processor Core i5 4460
Actually Valve hired Icefrog, and since he's the guy with the most time tweaking DOTA, I think they would have the most right. Rather than Valve just using their own devs to make a sequel (which they easily could have done) they went out and hired a well known member of the community to direct how the game is made, I do like it when companies go out of their way to do things like that.
You make it sound like Icefrog owns DotA Intellectual Property, which he does not.

When Icefrog started working on DotA, he agreed to the terms of use for War3 editor, and by doing that he waived all rights to owning the product he made.

Also, why are you guys so aggressive and protective of Valve/Icefrog? Both Valve and Blizzard are playing dirty to make as much money as they can - that's why they are both called business companies.

Last edited:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
You make it sound like Icefrog owns DotA Intellectual Property, which he does not.

When Icefrog started working on DotA, he agreed to the terms of use for War3 editor, and by doing that he wavered all rights to owning the product he made.

Also, why are you guys so aggressive and protective of Valve/Icefrog? Both Valve and Blizzard are playing dirty to make as much money as they can - that's why they are both called business companies.

I didn't make it sound like he had any legal right at all. In this day in age we have legal right to squat, but that doesn't mean thats right. I'm just saying he's the guy who invested the time into the mod, Blizzard just as easily could have hired him as well. But instead they just decided to work off the ideas of his many hours and not offer him a job, Valve stepped up, and I give them credit for that. I always think it's cool to see when a modder gets a real job in the industry.

And the reason we have a strong opinion is because of Kotick himself, I don't even want to start pasting his quotes. It's all about business, but Kotick has made it plain and simple, even if the product is bad, as long as it sells he will milk it for all it's worth. And this just seems like another thing he wants to milk, don't know why the decisions to sue took so long to be honest.

Also I don't care to look through all of the right he signed off when using the Editor, but I would be surprised if signing off on a mod name would be one of those, after all you don't need a game editor to come up with a name... And thats all they are suing about is the name.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
Blizzard needs to STFU and make a new The Lost Vikings game already. Hell I would even take Blackthorne at this point.

Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
When was Ice Frog hired by Blizzard? I never knew that. :laugh:

Last ver. I played was 6.39 iirc

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name Titan
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" (25XV2Q), Dough Spectrum One 27" (Glossy), LG C4 42" (OLED42C4PUA)
Case ASUS Prime AP201 33L White
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75 v2
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 23H2 Build 22631.3447
IceFrog was hired by Valve, not Blizzard.
Guinsoo went to Riot Games (LoL).
God only knows where Eul went.

Case Montech Air X
Mouse Logitech G304
Software Windows 10
IceFrog was hired by Valve, not Blizzard.
Guinsoo went to Riot Games (LoL).
God only knows where Eul went.

Oh yeah, read that wrong the first time. :laugh: So that's why I never heard of it. :laugh:

Processor AMD Phenom II X 4 955
Motherboard Gigabyte 890GX
Cooling Xigmatek Dark Knight
Memory G.Skill Ripjaw 4gb
Video Card(s) MSI R6850 Cyclone
Storage WD Caviar Black 500gb
Display(s) Asus 23.6" LCD
Case CM Storm Scout
Audio Device(s) N/A
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast 650TX
Software W7 Pro