• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

TV tuner card, what to look for?

I'd like to get a tuner card, needs to be PCI-E (USB if good quality) and needs to accept analog cable. I assume all modern tuners accept digital cable/OTA. An FM tuner is a plus but not required. I was looking at this Asus since it's on sale. (I'm not strictly Newegg.) Guide me all mighty TPU-goers.

Surely someone has some insight as to what's a good tuner. I don't need a dual tuner but I am willing to pay a little more for better quality/features.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
I'd like to get a tuner card, needs to be PCI-E (USB if good quality) and needs to accept analog cable. I assume all modern tuners accept digital cable/OTA. An FM tuner is a plus but not required. I was looking at this Asus since it's on sale. (I'm not strictly Newegg.) Guide me all mighty TPU-goers.

Your assumption about all modern tuners accepting digital cable/OTA is incorrect.

First, I think you misspoke when you said digital cable. Why are you interested in digital cable when you have analog cable? Second, no current tuner can record digital cable unless you rent a Cable Card from your cable company and buy a tuner that can accept a Cable Card. Third, some tuners are ATSC only (OTA only) which means they will not be able to record analog cable.

So, in summary then, if you want to record analog cable and OTA, you will need to look at the available tuners very closely to make sure they can record both. The ASUS card that you linked to appears to be capable of recording both analog cable and OTA, but can definintely NOT record digital cable channels (ones you need a box to decode).

Your assumption about all modern tuners accepting digital cable/OTA is incorrect.

First, I think you misspoke when you said digital cable. Why are you interested in digital cable when you have analog cable? Second, no current tuner can record digital cable unless you rent a Cable Card from your cable company and buy a tuner that can accept a Cable Card. Third, some tuners are ATSC only (OTA only) which means they will not be able to record analog cable.

So, in summary then, if you want to record analog cable and OTA, you will need to look at the available tuners very closely to make sure they can record both. The ASUS card that you linked to appears to be capable of recording both analog cable and OTA, but can definintely NOT record digital cable channels (ones you need a box to decode).

I misunderstood what ClearQAM is. I researched it a bit and I think I understand it now. I am making sure the ones I consider can do both ASTC and analog cable. This is mainly so I can watch TV in my room, but I'm hoping to do an HTPC when I move out where I'm still expecting to have analog cable.

Newegg only has 5 different PCIE tuners (excluding the Ceton and 2 white box). Is there really that few out there or does Newegg just have a terrible selection?

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
I have a Hauppauge 2250 and that works fine for analog and clear QAM channels (records them too). Your issue is going to be if/when the cable company switches over to digital and you need to put in a DTA box in order to get your regular analog channels back.

In order to get both I needed to use a splitter (actually 2) and an A/B switch. I have dual tuners but only 1 connection on the card. I configured the setup so that one line had the DTA in it and the other straight to the wall (thru the splitters and such). Straight thru gives you whatever QAM is available and thru the DTA gives you your analog channels back.

It's a little confusing but it works fine for my setup :rolleyes:

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
I misunderstood what ClearQAM is. I researched it a bit and I think I understand it now. I am making sure the ones I consider can do both ASTC and analog cable. This is mainly so I can watch TV in my room, but I'm hoping to do an HTPC when I move out where I'm still expecting to have analog cable.

Newegg only has 5 different PCIE tuners (excluding the Ceton and 2 white box). Is there really that few out there or does Newegg just have a terrible selection?

There are not a lot of different tuners to choose from. When shopping, just remember that:

NTSC = analog cable
QAM = HD carried on analog cable
ATSC = North American OTA HD

Cable Card needed from your cable company for digital cable recording.

I'm torn between the Diamond because it's cheap and the Asus because it's not cheap.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
I have that cards little brother (combo hybrid version). My only complaint about it on Windows 7 64-bit is that the FM tuner has buffering issues when playing live. If I pause it for a few seconds to let it build up the buffer, it works fine for hours. There is absolutely no issues watching TV with it except the remote was difficult to get working and when I did get it to work, the range is ridiculously short (under 6 feet).

Keep in mind that no TV tuner not provided by your cable provider will be able to decrypt encrypted channels (QAM). You'll likely only be able to watch local stations that would otherwise be watched over the air. Channels like CNN, Fox News, Discovery, History, Food Network, etc. will all likely be inaccessible.

NTSC = analog over-the-air
ATSC = digital over-the-air
QAM = digital cable (unencrypted only as far as computer tuners are concerned)