• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need simple networking help please

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
If you dad had turned off DHCP ......

He said he did but I suspect he left out his laptop, my mom's laptop and my brother's pc which connect wireless...

He said he took note of the IP addresses allocated beforehand. I'll be checking that out later tomorrow..

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
This is really hard to T/S without seeing the details of the setup. lol
Here's what I would do ...
Turn everything off.
Turn on the Belkin (let it initialize).
Turn on the switch.
Turn on one computer that is plugged into the switch and bring it up into Windows.
Do a "ipconfig /all" on that computer to see what it thinks its IP address and gateway are.

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
This is really hard to T/S without seeing the details of the setup. lol
Here's what I would do ...
Turn everything off.
Turn on the Belkin (let it initialize).
Turn on the switch.
Turn on one computer that is plugged into the switch and bring it up into Windows.
Do a "ipconfig /all" on that computer to see what it thinks its IP address and gateway are.

I would do this but as long as you have no settings you want saved, I would factory reset the belkin so you will have DHCP enabled again and then test each machine to see if it acquires an IP address.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Well, we replaced the Edimax switch with the conceptronic router again (working as a switch) and the belkin router/modem still upstairs.

This time the connection works, the 3 wired pc's see each other and can access the main one which contains the accounts program we use for work. Both wired printers work fine too, from any pc. (whew!)

According to the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel, there is internet on all 3 wired pc's. However, I'll get a page load like 10% of it and get stuck like that. I tried to send 2 emails they remained in my outbox. I tried to load speedtest.net and the page wouldn't even load from any of the 3 wired pc's.

I loaded speedtest from a laptop (connecting to Belkin through wifi) and got a 5Mbps download. The connection is supposed to be 8Mbps...

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
Well, we replaced the Edimax switch with the conceptronic router again (working as a switch) and the belkin router/modem still upstairs.

This time the connection works, the 3 wired pc's see each other and can access the main one which contains the accounts program we use for work. Both wired printers work fine too, from any pc. (whew!)

According to the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel, there is internet on all 3 wired pc's. However, I'll get a page load like 10% of it and get stuck like that. I tried to send 2 emails they remained in my outbox. I tried to load speedtest.net and the page wouldn't even load from any of the 3 wired pc's.

I loaded speedtest from a laptop (connecting to Belkin through wifi) and got a 5Mbps download. The connection is supposed to be 8Mbps...

two routers on one network will not work properly if not setup right. Both are useing there own DHCP pool and could have different octants. I will say though, if it works to your desire then keep it rocking but you may experience DNS issues in the future. If you can try to order a name brand unmananged switch like linksys/D-Link to replace the secondary router.

Processor i9 9900k
Case NZXT H710i Black
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
I'm going for faulty cable. One or more of your cables is bad/damaged. Some devices "can cope" and others can't.

Pretty sure it's a cable fault now.

Using Belkin + Edimax switch we get nothing. We also tried other switches.
Using Belkin + Conceptronic (router) as a switch we get internet.

So we kept using the latter... but I noticed my emails weren't getting sent.

So I tried speedtest, download speed was normal but upload speed gave an error and was zero.

It's likely the guy who custom-made the long cable for us didn't do it properly when he used the crimping tool...

It's funny how with one device we get downloads and with another we get nothing.

I thought a cable would either work or not work, not do a half-job! :laugh: