• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Oceans are becoming acidified at the fastest rate in 300 million years

T

twilyth

CO2 + ocean = carbonic acid.

full story
The Earth’s oceans may be acidifying faster than at any point during the last 300 million years due to industrial emissions, endangering marine life from oysters and reefs to sea-going salmon, researchers said.

The scientists found surging levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere forced down the pH of the ocean by 0.1 unit in the last century, 10 times faster than the closest historical comparison from 56 million years ago, New York’s Columbia University, which led the research, said yesterday in a statement. The seas absorb CO2 from the atmosphere, forming carbonic acid. The lower the pH level in the seas, the more acidic they are.

Past instances of ocean acidification have been linked with mass extinctions of marine creatures so the current one could also threaten important species, according to Baerbel Hoenisch, the paleoceanographer at Columbia who was lead author of the paper that appeared in the journal Science.

“If industrial carbon emissions continue at the current pace, we may lose organisms we care about -- coral reefs, oysters, salmon,” Hoenisch said.

The UN’s Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has said ocean pH may fall another 0.3 units this century, according to Columbia. The closest change to the current pace occurred during the so-called Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum about 56 million years ago, when a doubling of the atmospheric concentration of carbon dioxide may have pushed pH levels down by 0.45 units over 20,000 years, according to the researchers.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
Acidifying the oceans. Groovy.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
Everyone freak out, we're all gonna die!!! :roll:

CO2 is actually a really good thing... i pay a lot of money to pump CO2 into my planted fishtank ecosystem which totally thrives off of it... the more CO2 i give it the more the plants bloom (which in turn generate oxygen and filter out air/water pollutants)

Dont get sucked into this eco-bullshit you hear in the mainstream media...their lies and propoganda are to shape the general (ignorant) publics opinions and beliefs on what to think, who to vote for, why its ok to invade countrys and steal their wealth because they are evil etc... Its all just fear mongering at the end of the day paid for by large corporations who want to bleed you dry with more taxes and scams ;)

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Everyone freak out, we're all gonna die!!! :roll:

CO2 is actually a really good thing... i pay a lot of money to pump CO2 into my planted fishtank ecosystem which totally thrives off of it... the more CO2 i give it the more the plants bloom (which in turn generate oxygen and filter out air/water pollutants)

Dont get sucked into this eco-bullshit you hear in the mainstream media...their lies and propoganda are to shape the general (ignorant) publics opinions and beliefs on what to think, who to vote for, why its ok to invade countrys and steal their wealth because they are evil etc... Its all just fear mongering at the end of the day paid for by large corporations who want to bleed you dry with more taxes and scams ;)

CO2 good for plants sure, carbonic acid ehhhh.... not so good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_acidification

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Looking forward to scientists finding some fix, only to either put people's lives at risk or screw another part of the ecosystem! :toast:

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I know we could build pretty epic scrubbers but I worry how well would a localized drop in CO2 disseminate through the atmosphere? I think you'd have to do it in the desert because I'd worry about making air poisonous in the immediate vicinity.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
EDIT, double post: see below...

Last edited:

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Looking forward to scientists finding some fix, only to either put people's lives at risk or screw another part of the ecosystem! :toast:

There is a fix. But no industrialised nation is willing to do anything about it. It's called reducing CO2 emissions.

I think the best thing to do is just ignore everything we're doing to our planet because until the Gene Roddenberry universe of credits and pseudo communism is in place, nobody wants to give up anything. We're a nasty little species and we deserve our lot.

And in typical fashion it'd just be the thing that in 100 years if we finally get everything sorted with Fusion, High efficency Photo-Voltaic panelling and curing all cancers that an amateur astronomer notices a 20 mile wide hunk of space iron flying straight at us.

For all we want to change/alter/improve/degrade our planet, ultimately, we have no say over our long term future. When our Extinction Level Event happens, it'll be awesome.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
Sure the climate is changing, it has for many thousands/millions of years. At the end of the day us humans are comparible to bacteria clinging to some large rock thats hurtling through space, and although we like to think of ourselves as omnipotent beings, we will eventually go the same way as all the other millions of living organisms that once graced it's surface and fade into oblivion. People think the world (earth) is going to die, its not, it will carry on spinning through the galaxy whether we like it or not. Not even our most potent nuclear weapons could destroy this planet completely and stop it from doing so ;)

Back on topic, climate change science is heavily funded by western governments to generate tax money (carbon taxes, control who does what and how they do it), stifle economic growth in 3rd world countrys (so that they dont overtake western economys) and to build up a premise in peoples minds that future "eco-wars" are there for the environment and not to kill, pillage resources and destroy other civilizations that stand in the way of NATO's plans once they can no longer use the terrorism card as a premise to murder innocent people.

These eco taxes and targets, set to stunt growth of emerging economys in non western countrys, are dwarfed by the environmental impact that our western war machine has and the industrial military complex on a whole... You have any idea how many people, bases, and vehicles are funded and kept running in unhospitable locations worldwide, nevermind the depleted uranium, phosphorous and other chemical agent weapons are used incognito of law when attacking a country or sponsoring rebel (terrorist) forces to do so "legally" in the name of democracy.

Our little "fishbowl" existance is never going to be the same again whether we like it or not and its naive to think that we can make things the same as they were before ;)
Embrace change and more importantly, change things by getting rid of the blood sucking govenrments that are dictating our lives, these wars and destroying our civilization as we know it.

Thats how we will save the "world"!

System Name Obelisc
Processor i7 3770k @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling H110
Memory 16GB(4x4) @ 2400 MHz 9-11-11-31
Video Card(s) GTX 780 Ti
Storage 850 EVO 1TB, 2x 5TB Toshiba
Case T81
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Titanium HD
Power Supply EVGA 850 T2 80+ TITANIUM
Software Win10 64bit
I don't understand what people think arguing about this will accomplish. Well I do, I just don't understand why they can't see it's not going to end the way they want. The whole point of arguing against it is so we don't have to do anything. From the corporate perspective it's the "make money now rather than later at all costs" that drives them, and the let's hate science message they put in their news sources. While the whole "greater than ever before" thing should be sign enough that this is our fault, it really doesn't matter. The end result is the same. Oceanic conveyers shut off and we enter an ice age. No matter what the cause, we have to respond to it and take control of our climate.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Mouse Logitech G403
we have to respond to it and take control of our climate.

Our environment? since when lol... when were you blessed with being able to control time, space and the earth? We just happened to exist here and we dont have it half as bad as most of the other few million species that cohabit with us.

All im pointing out is that we have no control over things like we think we do. Meddling and trying to gain control is what got us into mess in the first place. Tackle the real root cause of the problem and dont try and come up with yet another grand scheme plan to manipulate things to our one sided purpose. Life go's on, human or not.

System Name It's just a computer
Processor i9-14900K Direct Die
Motherboard MSI Z790 ACE MAX
Cooling Dual D5T Vario, XSPC BayRes, Nemesis GTR560, NF-A14-iPPC3000PWM, NF-A14-iPPC2000, HK IV Pro Nickel
Memory G.SKILL F5-7200J3646F24GX2-TZ5RK
Video Card(s) eVGA RTX2080 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 990 PRO 1TB M.2
Display(s) LG 32GK650F
Case Thermaltake Xaser VI
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Meridian 7.1 2G/Z-5500
Power Supply Seasonic Prime PX-1300
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech
Software Win11PRO
Here we go again.

The Eco-Nazis failed with their Global Warming agenda, so they had to find some new psuedo-scientific shenanigans to promote their Green Communism.