• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sapphire 6850 + Arctic Cooling Accellero

G

Garrgoyle

So I'm puting together a project and need help. I just bought a 6850 a Arctic Cooling GPU cooler on ebay. I need to know a few things. Can I use this cooler out of the box as it is or will I need attachments like extra thermal grease? They'll be coming in few days so there is no rush. I will plan on doing some OCing as well with this setup and running. What kind of performance increase can I expect like this over my current Sapphire 6770OC Edition and this setup with an OC and at stock clocks. Previously I was using two GTX580'sOC on my spare 750W PSU and performance was not crash hot, for what I expected from them (it's the PSU I know. So I downgraded until I have the time to put together a more organized power assembly. I haven't benched the 6770 yet and I don't want to OC it more than it is right now. I have only played HL2 on it and performance was about 120 frames per sec avg. WIll I need to do anything more than what I have done today. What kind of Thermal Pastes can you get online? Is there anyone else with this kind of setup willing to share their experience?

My sys specs are:

Core i7 920 @ 3.29ghz
Corsair 6gb DDR3 2ghz
rog rampage 2 extreme x58 ich10r
recon 3d fatality pro
haf 932 (well cooled)
pc p&c 750W psu

on the psu. I'm guessing right now I won't need an upgrade for the 6850 , unless I get two or three, but what about my sound? ( I know I should have upgraded for the 580's, but that's another story [1250W psu blew up])

i am a gamer. not full time. mostly sp not mp except some SL and WOW. no mp shooters mostly sp shooters.

all I need my computer for is design work 'simple' gaming and benchmarking comparison.

I am I doing ok so far? :shadedshu

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Garrgoyle

Ok so ebay says the card and cooler are now shipped and on their way, YESS!

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
TBH your should have picked up a 7950 or waited until the 7870's come out

G

Garrgoyle

hey bro. thanks for telling. I should let u kno that I am 31 yo now. I don't need bleeding edge like I did when I was 16. I still want to have fun, but 1000fps water cooling 4 way sli doesn't do it for me anymore :)

brandonwh64

hey bro. thanks for telling. I should let u kno that I am 31 yo now. I don't need bleeding edge like I did when I was 16. I still want to have fun, but 1000fps water cooling 4 way sli doesn't do it for me anymore :)

HMM well atleast a 560TI 448core would have been a great choice. The 6850 is quite weak for newer games.

G

Garrgoyle

lol. it is not perfect. i gave the 6770 a run on syndicate yesterday and it was lag crazy! graphics tho were very sharp! imo 130 for 6850 is not bad considering I expect the perform of 5830 or less. like i said I like a clean 'working' machine. not interested in anything else. cheers :)

brandonwh64

lol. it is not perfect. i gave the 6770 a run on syndicate yesterday and it was lag crazy! graphics tho were very sharp! imo 130 for 6850 is not bad considering I expect the perform of 5830 or less. like i said I like a clean 'working' machine. not interested in anything else. cheers :)

Valid point! Well enjoy the new card :)

G

Garrgoyle

I was going to say well I will for what I can . thanks

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
That AC cooler should be fine out of the box. Check the thermal paste it comes with as it may be dried out if the cooler has been sitting around for a year or two. If it is dried out, pick up a tube of non-conductive thermal paste (MX-3 or MX-4 should be OK). Another item that may give you some trouble is the thermal adhesive/thermal pads for the ram and VRM heatsinks (some complaints about them falling off- check some reviews on it)

As far as installation, check YouTube and see if you can find an installion video if you're unsure about installing, it will help. Will you be running passive or putting a couple of fans on it? It may run OK passive in your case as long as you don't push it too hard.

6850 power requirements aren't very high so your 750w PSU should be fine.

As far as gaming with it, it will be a decent improve over a 5770/6770 and be fine for older games and some newer ones with lower resolutions/less eye candy... better than an XBox anyway :cool:

Good luck with your install :toast:

G

Garrgoyle

ok so card and cooler arrived today, yess.!

Here is the 'unboxing' an assembly

note: I had a tough time finding the voltage chips for the included heatsinks, but they fit. I just had to work it out.

G

Garrgoyle

here is a performance comparison of the 6770 with the new card!

Nice!