• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2011 or 1155?

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Yeah, probably just heatsink size difference. Would need to see the revision number to know for sure. The white LP sticks are teh good clockers, but you need rev 8.16 for those to get good ones.

A decent 1600 MHz or 1866 MHz kit will have you covered for most needs. DO NOT EXPECT to OC ram too much.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Yeah, probably just heatsink size difference. Would need to see the revision number to know for sure. The white LP sticks are teh good clockers, but you need rev 8.16 for those to get good ones.

A decent 1600 MHz or 1866 MHz kit will have you covered for most needs. DO NOT EXPECT to OC ram too much.

If memory size isn't a huge factor, I started with 4x4gb of DDR3-2133 for 160 USD and I'm pretty happy with them. The heat sinks are a little bigger so if you have a big cooler they might not fit if you wanted 8 of them at some point.

cadaveca: Have you done any experimentation to see how increasing the bclk impacts memory performance while keeping memory speeds and timings the same? I know that on my Phenom II 940 that overclocking the bus/nb would result in better overall speeds because the memory latency drops at higher bus speeds.

JrRacinFan

Served 5k and counting ...
System Name Dual Build Streamer
Processor Ryzen 7900x3d : Ryzen 4600G
Motherboard AsRock B650E Steel Legend : Giga B450i Aorus
Cooling Custom Water 1x420 : Stock
Memory 32GB T-Force Deltas : 16GB Dominator Platinums
Video Card(s) PowerColor 7900 XTX Liquid Devil: iGPU
Storage 20+ TB
Display(s) Sammy 49" 5k Ultrawide
Case Custom White Painted Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2
Audio Device(s) Onboard : Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P2
Mouse Corsair M65 RGB Elite White
Keyboard Hyperx Origins 65
Software Windows 10
I know that on my Phenom II 940 that overclocking the bus/nb would result in better overall speeds

From what I know, (not 100% positive) the QPI straps also come in at a higher latency. Dave would be best to answer this though.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Have you done any experimentation to see how increasing the bclk impacts memory performance while keeping memory speeds and timings the same?

only seems to affect write bandwidth, and not by much. To me, it seems that the ringbus on the L3/L2/sysagent makes it so that bandwidth is affected more by CPU core clockspeed than anything, as the L3 runs at the same speed as CPU(unlike the "uncore" of 1156/1366 which ran at it's own speed)

if you check my clock scaling page in my memory reviews, you'l lsee that i test on the 125 MHz divider, and try to keep CPU speed as close as possible, however ,due to the nature of the platform, the best i can get is staying within 100 MHz on hte CPU. I test between 4000 MHz and 4100 MHz on the CPU in the clock scaling portion.

TLDR: Yes, i have tested, an no, doesn't make a significant difference.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
imo if they're the same cost (granting the ssd difference) go big or go home.

The 3930 should serve you well for years to come. Don't get a 3820 because that chip benches much slower than the 3770 and you'd end up regretting it. The extra cores and cache on the 3930 plus the better motherboard = longer use.

also I vote seperate ssd for the os and applications as cadaveca suggested.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Software MacOS 12.1
imo if they're the same cost (granting the ssd difference) go big or go home.

The 3930 should serve you well for years to come. Don't get a 3820 because that chip benches much slower than the 3770 and you'd end up regretting it. The extra cores and cache on the 3930 plus the better motherboard = longer use.

also I vote seperate ssd for the os and applications as cadaveca suggested.

It's not that much slower, also keep in mind that the 3820 unlike regular non-k Sandy Bridge chips isn't limited to just the multiplier for over-clocking. Also unless Intel does something stupid (which they've done in the past, but I doubt they will this time around,) it would make more sense to get a 3820 and save the money for a faster IVB-E when it comes out which should also be supported on the X79. I just got a 3820 and I can tell you that it is anything but underpowered and your paying twice as much for no single-thread benefit and no more than 25-30% benefit when it comes to multi-threaded tasks. So the price point of the 3820 is very nice and lets you have that enthusiast level hardware without breaking the bank. (If you exclude the cost of a nice X79 motherboard.)

Also honestly, I find more benefit from having RAID-0 with two Force GTs than getting a 3930k. What good is a 6-core chip if it has to wait half of the time and when most applications still barely utilize 4 threads? IMHO it isn't worth the price yet and by the time it is, IVB-E most likely will be out.

Not to say I didn't look at the 3930k, I almost did get it, it's just unnecessary for 98% of users.

Edit: IIRC, the 3770k is going to cost more than a 3820 as well while only being on average about, what, 5% faster? ...and if you're getting an SB-E, power efficiency isn't your goal.

Processor Intel Core i7 3930k
Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Custom built watercooling
Memory 32Gigs of Corsair Vengeance LP White 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD5870
Storage WD Velociraptor 300Gb, Corsair Force GT 120Gb
Display(s) Samsung T220 22" + Benq T905 19" + Samsung 930BF 19"
Case Heavily modded p182
Audio Device(s) Realtek something or other
Power Supply Corsair 600w
Software Windows 8 Pro x64

So, LP is preferable over normal? Only thing left to decide now, hovering over the order-button :)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
So, LP is preferable over normal? Only thing left to decide now, hovering over the order-button :)

Yes/no. for compatibility sake, with heatsinks, yes, the LP Vengeance kits would be my choice.

When it comes to overclocking the ram, the LP white sticks are the only choice I owuld make within the Vengeance 1600 MHz kits(I've palyed with all the LP kits now). They feature a lower default voltage(1.35 V), and do cost a bit more, becuase of the extra potential they hold.

But, LP and non-LP kits of the same type, say the Cerulean Blue, should perform EXACTLY the same.(both blueLP and blue "tall" kits should be the same, teh black ktis the same, and the red kits the same) The only outlier here is the white LP kit. (they do not sell a white "tall" kit).

Case Heavily modded p182
Yes/no. for compatibility sake, with heatsinks, yes, the LP Vengeance kits would be my choice.

When it comes to overclocking the ram, the LP white sticks are the only choice I owuld make within the Vengeance 1600 MHz kits(I've palyed with all the LP kits now). They feature a lower default voltage(1.35 V), and do cost a bit more, becuase of the extra potential they hold.

But, LP and non-LP kits of the same type, say the Cerulean Blue, should perform EXACTLY the same.(both blueLP and blue "tall" kits should be the same, teh black ktis the same, and the red kits the same) The only outlier here is the white LP kit. (they do not sell a white "tall" kit).

Awesome, thanks for all the help, just ordered my x79-kit with 32gb vengeance lp white, asus maximus iv extreme, i7 3930k and a 120gb corsair gt force. :D:D Now i just need to find a good block for cooling the cpu, dustinhome had nothing in the ways of water blocks.

Anyone got any good suggestions for a nice waterblock? :)

Let the waiting commence!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
you can try the new Koolance block, or the swiftech apogeeHD(with four ports, on inlet, and 3 outputs.)

I have the gold apogeeHD, but haven't built it into a system yet. H100 works fine for me and my chip.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Awesome, thanks for all the help, just ordered my x79-kit with 32gb vengeance lp white, asus maximus iv extreme, i7 3930k and a 120gb corsair gt force. :D:D Now i just need to find a good block for cooling the cpu, dustinhome had nothing in the ways of water blocks.

Anyone got any good suggestions for a nice waterblock? :)

Let the waiting commence!

Nice choices! Do you already have the pump and reservoir?

Case Heavily modded p182
Nice choices! Do you already have the pump and reservoir?

Yeah I've got everything except the cpu-block, I have a loop in my current system that cools the northbridge, gpu and cpu quite efficiently and silently... enough... Was a lot quieter when i had the watercooling on the balcony, especially during the winter :D

Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
It's not that much slower, also keep in mind that the 3820 unlike regular non-k Sandy Bridge chips isn't limited to just the multiplier for over-clocking. Also unless Intel does something stupid (which they've done in the past, but I doubt they will this time around,) it would make more sense to get a 3820 and save the money for a faster IVB-E when it comes out which should also be supported on the X79. I just got a 3820 and I can tell you that it is anything but underpowered and your paying twice as much for no single-thread benefit and no more than 25-30% benefit when it comes to multi-threaded tasks. So the price point of the 3820 is very nice and lets you have that enthusiast level hardware without breaking the bank. (If you exclude the cost of a nice X79 motherboard.)

Also honestly, I find more benefit from having RAID-0 with two Force GTs than getting a 3930k. What good is a 6-core chip if it has to wait half of the time and when most applications still barely utilize 4 threads? IMHO it isn't worth the price yet and by the time it is, IVB-E most likely will be out.

Not to say I didn't look at the 3930k, I almost did get it, it's just unnecessary for 98% of users.

Edit: IIRC, the 3770k is going to cost more than a 3820 as well while only being on average about, what, 5% faster? ...and if you're getting an SB-E, power efficiency isn't your goal.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-core-i7-3770k/1

5% per clock 3770 is faster than the 3820 while being clocked 100MHZ lower. Also due to it's low tdp is will likely overclock much better on similar cooling.

so 1. it will likely hit a higher clock speed than the 3820, 2. it has a 5% per clock better performance ratio. Going SB-E plus a quad just doesn't seem worth while right now. Everything that SB-E does better than SB/ivy will benefit more from a six core than a quadcore.

but for gaming, daily use, etc. Ivy is the better choice for a quad.

Like I said go big or go home. Counting on what you might do in the future doesn't tend to work out, finances change and new things come out that will further entice you. At the current line-up gaming = ivy bridge. Longer lasting rigs, rendering, encoding, etc = SB-E six core.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The only problem is that you cannot buy Z77 boards, or Ivy Bridge, yet. If you want ot buy today, you do not have that option. You could wait...or not wait, and take what's on the store shelf.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
http://www.anandtech.com/show/5626/ivy-bridge-preview-core-i7-3770k/1

5% per clock 3770 is faster than the 3820 while being clocked 100MHZ lower. Also due to it's low tdp is will likely overclock much better on similar cooling.

so 1. it will likely hit a higher clock speed than the 3820, 2. it has a 5% per clock better performance ratio. Going SB-E plus a quad just doesn't seem worth while right now. Everything that SB-E does better than SB/ivy will benefit more from a six core than a quadcore.

but for gaming, daily use, etc. Ivy is the better choice for a quad.

Like I said go big or go home. Counting on what you might do in the future doesn't tend to work out, finances change and new things come out that will further entice you. At the current line-up gaming = ivy bridge. Longer lasting rigs, rendering, encoding, etc = SB-E six core.

Actually, the 3770k has 3.9ghz turbo where the 3820 has 3.8ghz turbo. Also the 3820 is cheaper than the 2600k and 2700k which means it is most likely going to be cheaper than the 3770k. So for the price it isn't bad. Also it has more flexibility for over-clocking the bclk. Also just because the TDP for the 3770k is lower doesn't mean it won't draw more when you give it more voltage or get hotter because the circuitry is smaller and honestly, a couple bins on the turbo closes that gap rather quickly.

Physically, smaller wires will generate more heat faster than wires that are larger at similar currents. 3D transistors might offset this but in the end, the circuitry will still have more resistance and as temperature increases, those resistances will be much higher.

With this all this said, who said I didn't just get the 3820 as an interim chip until IVB-E comes out? (One of the reasons why I didn't get the 3930k.)

As far as over-clocking is concerned, the 22nm chip will generate heat faster, and if you knew anything about how circuitry works and the physics behind it, you would know that you can't feed the same voltage and current on smaller wires without generating that much more heat. Now if IVB is running at lower voltages, the TDP might be lower however, the current will remain the same and according to Ohm's law and Joule's first law, more heat will be created because heat is directly coupled with current, not voltage and with smaller circuitry, higher voltages can cause issues because the wires are so close together. Heat exponentially increase as current does at the same resistance (this is assuming resistance doesn't chance which it does with temperature.)

So over-clocking performance is to be seen, we can't assume it is going to be better just because of 3d transistors and 22nm circuitry.

Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Were that true the tdp would be higher on the 22nm chip. If it was a circuitry issue on 22nm causing an increased heat load per clock, the tdp would show it. Or are you saying that going beyond spec on 22nm is more likely to increase heat faster due to the smaller transistorsize? That doesn't make any sense either. Listen none of us are cpu engineers for intel otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to post on the topic. But as far as trends have gone, regardless of die lower tdp chips of the same class tend to overclock better than higher tdp ones. Although I will say gpus are an exception to this. Max clock on a gpu arch is max clock.

Case Heavily modded p182
So... just built my new system yesterday
32 GB Corsair Vengeance LP White (rev8.16 :D)
Rampage IV Extreme X79
Intel Core i7 3930k
Corsair Force GT 3 120GB
Swiftech Apogee HD waterblock.

I upgraded from the computer in my specs and I am literally flying around in windows, what an amazing difference! :D

So thanks again for all your help guys, such an awesome computer this is! :D

Last edited:

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
Were that true the tdp would be higher on the 22nm chip. If it was a circuitry issue on 22nm causing an increased heat load per clock, the tdp would show it. Or are you saying that going beyond spec on 22nm is more likely to increase heat faster due to the smaller transistorsize? That doesn't make any sense either. Listen none of us are cpu engineers for intel otherwise we wouldn't be allowed to post on the topic. But as far as trends have gone, regardless of die lower tdp chips of the same class tend to overclock better than higher tdp ones. Although I will say gpus are an exception to this. Max clock on a gpu arch is max clock.

At stock speeds that is true, but when you start over-clocking I bet you the amount of heat that a 22nm chip will make over a 32nm chip will be more at the same voltage. It doesn't need to eat more power to create more heat at the same voltage and current.

Corsair Force GT 3 120GB

Which do you mean? The Force GT or Force 3, there is no such thing as the Force GT 3.

Case Heavily modded p182
At stock speeds that is true, but when you start over-clocking I bet you the amount of heat that a 22nm chip will make over a 32nm chip will be more at the same voltage. It doesn't need to eat more power to create more heat at the same voltage and current.

Which do you mean? The Force GT or Force 3, there is no such thing as the Force GT 3.

CORSAIR FORCE GT SERIES 3 2.5" 120GB SSD MLC <-- thats what the listing says at the site i bought it at, not my fault for them tricking me, its a force gt anyway :)

And about the 22nm vs 32nm... why would you feed them the same voltage? the 22nm requires less voltage to do more, no?

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1
And about the 22nm vs 32nm... why would you feed them the same voltage? the 22nm requires less voltage to do more, no?

People do like to overclock. :)

Case Heavily modded p182
People do like to overclock. :)

Of course but i doubt the 22nm would even tolerate the same voltages, atleast this was the case with 65nm vs 45nm... havent really tried to OC either 32nm or 22nm so kind of out of the loop there :)

Processor Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard Gigabyte Aurorus Ultra z490
Cooling Corsair H100i RGB
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming Trio X 3070 LHR
Display(s) ASUS MG278Q / AOC G2590FX
Case Corsair X4000 iCue
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RM650x 650W Fully Modular
Software Windows 10
I'd go Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge-E, but it's your money.

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Software MacOS 12.1

The 3820 is only 300 USD, it is cheaper than the 2600k, and it over-clocks plenty well. You also aren't just limited to the multiplier if you want to over-clock. Some say X79 doesn't offer enough, but I've been plenty impressed with mine.

Case Heavily modded p182

It was my first thought too but I just went all out instead and I don't regret it one bit, well worth the money. And if you would have the same usage pattern as me when developing you would have also gone with a 6-core. :rockout:

Having 40 gigs left or something like that after installing win7 sp1 was quite a shock though until i realized why, silly hibernation and swap file :laugh:

System Name Poor Man's Build
Processor Intel i7 3960X 4.9Ghz Sandy Bridge E
Motherboard MSi X79A-GD65 8D
Cooling XSPC 240mm and 360MM (External) Rad
Memory 64Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX770 SC ACX SLI (non water cooled yet)
Storage Intel 520 240GB SSD x2 /x2 WD Caviar Black 3TB 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Display(s) ASUS 27" 2560X1440 x3
Case Corsair 900D (upgraded from my lvl 10 gt and 600T)
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i 80PLUS Platinum
Software Windows 7 Ultimate (FPP)
go for 32gb make huge ram disk for awesomeness, for me I went 32gb and will be building my rig tomorrow, cadaveca's reviews on ram was helpful on me deciding my sticks.

lga2011 is an awesome platform, just by looking at all the box I have in my room just waiting to test it out is making me drool (well not literally) but hopefully it won't post any problem, for now just looking at the manual that came with them as this is my first build and I don't want to mess things up.

I'm thinking of getting another ssd, and since your getting a corsair force gt 120gb, is it reliable?