• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Setting up House for networking questions? How to do it right within a budget...

Guttboy

System Name First Build 2009
Processor Intel E8400 (E0) 3.0GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P
Cooling Xigmatek HDT S1283 (120mm)
Memory G.Skill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX260
Storage WD Caviar Black 1TB 7200rpm 32MB SATA
Display(s) LG W2600H-PF 25.5" (1920x1200)
Case Cooler Master CM690
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Software Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Let me start by saying that everyone here has been extremely helpful over the years and the encouragement and advice I have received over the past few days has been outstanding!

Here is what I would like to do with the home network:

1. Connect two computers (perhaps three or four) to my internet connection.
2. Connect two DirecTV DVRs to the network to get VOD...something that I haven't used yet.
3. Connect a printer or two to the network so that I can print from any of the computers.
4. Continue to use wireless for my laptop and smartphones.

Here is what I have now:

1. DSL from Century Link (12Mbps DL / 896 Kbps upload)
2. Actiontec M1000 DSL modem
3. Linksys WRT54GS router

My situation:

1. House has Cat5E cabling run to all of the rooms and jacks
2. I have traced and labeled all of the wires to the utility room box
3. Running TIA 568B configuration.
4. DSL enters the home to the M1000 DSL modem then to the Linksys WRT54GS router
5. Junction box for all of the Cat5E lines is located in the utility room downstairs

What I would LIKE to do is this.....

DSL Modem ----> Router (need advice on a good wireless one for my needs) ----> Computer in upstairs
From the Router I have a Cat5e that goes to the utility room junction box this is where I would like to place the switch to hardwire the house.

For example:

Switch---->DirecTv
-->DirecTv
-->Computer
-->Media center (possibly)

My limitations are currently:

I would like to keep the DSL modem and Router in the UPSTAIRS.
I have ONE Cat5e line that runs down to the junction panel/box downstairs (where I
want the switch to be)

The diagrams I tried to make are not the best but essentially I would like to keep the modem and the router upstairs and use a Cat5e to take the internet downstairs to the switch. From there the signals could be distributed over the existing Cat5e lines in the house to places I need it. I would LIKE to maintain the direct line to the business computer upstairs off of one of the direct lines from the router. Make sense?

What would you suggest for my situation? Hardware?

Would I see benefits from going to a Wireless N router? Suggestions?

I appreciate the suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!

System Name Old Gateway / Steam Deck OLED LE
Processor i5 4440 3.1ghz / Jupiter 4c 8t
Motherboard Gateway / Valve
Cooling Eh it doesn't thermal throttle
Memory 2x 8GB JEDEC 1600mhz DDR3 / 16gb DDR5 6400
Video Card(s) RX 560D 4GB / Navi II 8CU
Storage 240gb 2.5 SSD / 1TB nvme
Display(s) Dell @ 1280*1024 75hz / 800p OLED
Case Gateway / Valve LE
Audio Device(s) Gateway Diamond Audio EMC2.0-USB 5375U ($15 a long ass time ago), Valve
Power Supply 380w oem / 65w valve USB-C
Mouse Purple Walmart special, 1600dpi. Black desk mat
Keyboard SteelSeries Apex 100 / virtual
VR HMD Lmao
Software Windows 10 / Steam OS
Benchmark Scores It can run Crysis (Original), Doom 2016, and Halo MCC. SD LE 45fps
Wireless N would help a lot with speed and range. up to 300Mbps (i think some are up to 600 now) vs 54Mbps with the Wireless G of your current router.

Do you do a lot of large file transfers between systems? You may want a Gigabit switch and router. 100Mb/sec is roughly 10MB/sec of bandwidth where a gigabit is 10x that. Your Cat5E cables should handle that.

Processor Intel Core i7 5820k
Motherboard MSI X99S-GAMING7
Cooling Corsair H105
Memory 16GB G.SKILL DDR4
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1070 Gaming G1
Storage Samsung 840 Evo 256GB
Display(s) Acer Predator XB271HU
Case Corsair 800D
Audio Device(s) ASUS XONAR
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Filco Majestouch
Software Windows 10
You have a number of options on how to set this up and a number of factors to consider before a good solution could be devised.

How hot is the utility room? Does it often exceed temperatures of 30C or ~90F?
How many outlets do you want to make live?
Do you have a rack in your utility room?
Do you have adequate power in your utility room?
Would noise be an issue for concern in the utility room (i.e. would fan noise be a problem)?
Is gigabit desired (I would advise it)?
What device is currently controlling DHCP?
What is your budget for the project?

If we can find out these factors we can start piecing together a solution that will suit your needs.

Also I would reccommend wireless n, it is far better at dealing with signal interference.

It seems as though you've got everything reasonably figured out. There are quite a few caveats to watch out for.

1)Cat5-e is designed to run base 100, not base 1000 transmissions. If you want to upgrade in the future you may not see gigabit speeds due to wiring considerations. Given that your internet doesn't even touch base 100 speeds, this will only influence internal data transfers.

2) What are the wireless computers capable of? Off hand, I'd recommend wireless N on the router, as it's future resistant and generally allows better data reception at faster speeds. If you're on a tight budget, the wrt54g you already have should more than suffice for internet access speeds. Just don't look for anything great on the internal network transfer speeds.

3) Get a Gigabit switch for the mechanical room. The base 100 switches are cheap, but largely haven't seen improvement in the last five years. A gigabit switch will allow you to be future resistant, and will not break the bank. There are sub $80 switches (closer to 50 on sale) that will be plenty for an unmanaged home network.

4) You've offered no budget, so it's hard to get a grasp on what to recommend to you. Cheapest solution is to just get an unmanaged switch. The most expensive is to get a Docsis 3.0 capable modem, wireless N router, and switch to fully outfit your home for the future. Pricing ranges from the ~$50, up to about $300, depending upon what you want.

5) We know you want to connect approximately 5 devices over wired connections, but what are your plans for the future? 5 devices fit easily onto a router (4 ports) and switch (5 ports) combo, but that only leaves 2 open slots (both at the router). Do you need an 8 port switch, a 24 port to do the entire house, etc...? We can't really offer advice without that kind of background.

Guttboy

Case Cooler Master CM690
Do you do a lot of large file transfers between systems?

Bruce I currently do NOT transfer files between systems.

How hot is the utility room? Does it often exceed temperatures of 30C or ~90F? Temps stay in the 60's Farenheit
How many outlets do you want to make live? I would like to make 4 live
Do you have a rack in your utility room? I do not have a rack in the utility room would use a shelf.
Do you have adequate power in your utility room? I do have power now in the utility room
Would noise be an issue for concern in the utility room (i.e. would fan noise be a problem)? Not a problem as water heaters and furnaces are there
Is gigabit desired (I would advise it)? I think that for "future proofing" gigabit would be the way to go especially with viewing VOD from DirecTV
What device is currently controlling DHCP? That I am a bit unsure of. It is either the DSL modem or the Router......good way to check?
What is your budget for the project? Ideally as inexpensive as possible. $100 to $200

Also I would reccommend wireless n, it is far better at dealing with signal interference. I think Wireless N is the way to go but would need G for the laptop as it is not N capable.

It seems as though you've got everything reasonably figured out. There are quite a few caveats to watch out for.

1)Cat5-e is designed to run base 100, not base 1000 transmissions. If you want to upgrade in the future you may not see gigabit speeds due to wiring considerations. Given that your internet doesn't even touch base 100 speeds, this will only influence internal data transfers.

Thanks good point!

2) What are the wireless computers capable of? Off hand, I'd recommend wireless N on the router, as it's future resistant and generally allows better data reception at faster speeds. If you're on a tight budget, the wrt54g you already have should more than suffice for internet access speeds. Just don't look for anything great on the internal network transfer speeds.

3) Get a Gigabit switch for the mechanical room. The base 100 switches are cheap, but largely haven't seen improvement in the last five years. A gigabit switch will allow you to be future resistant, and will not break the bank. There are sub $80 switches (closer to 50 on sale) that will be plenty for an unmanaged home network.

Well within the budget!

4) You've offered no budget, so it's hard to get a grasp on what to recommend to you. Cheapest solution is to just get an unmanaged switch. The most expensive is to get a Docsis 3.0 capable modem, wireless N router, and switch to fully outfit your home for the future. Pricing ranges from the ~$50, up to about $300, depending upon what you want.

Ideally as inexpensive as possible....$100 to $200 max

5) We know you want to connect approximately 5 devices over wired connections, but what are your plans for the future? 5 devices fit easily onto a router (4 ports) and switch (5 ports) combo, but that only leaves 2 open slots (both at the router). Do you need an 8 port switch, a 24 port to do the entire house, etc...? We can't really offer advice without that kind of background.

Ideally, RIGHT NOW, I would like to hook up two DirecTV DVRs and another computer. This would make four total on the network (this includes the computer in the office). The switch would be in the utility room downstairs.

I do not transfer files at all now. I do not have that many just some documents and such. Biggest files are some pictures but I usually transfer them via a USB thumb drive right now.

Thanks guys sorry for lack of posting in the past week or so....had some work I had to take care of.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758
Why not just wi-fi everything? your existing wi-fi router + and extra used as a Wireless Access Point should cover the whole house. It would probabily be the cheapest and easiest solution, no?

System Name i7-PC / HTPC / iMac
Processor i7 3820 / Phenom II 940
Motherboard GIGABYTE G1.ASSASSIN2 / M3A79-T Deluxe
Cooling Corsair Hydro H100i / Scythe II (HS only)
Memory G.SKILL Trident X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600mhz / 4GB DDR2 1066 (@800) Corsair Dominator
Video Card(s) GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB / GB Radeon HD 7950s 3GB
Storage 2x 80GB Intel X-25, 2x600gb SATA, 1x1tb 5400RPM storage /1x600GB, 3x500GB,1x160,1x120 SATA
Display(s) 1x 27" Yamakasi / Vizio 42" HDTV
Case Lian Li Lancool PC-K58 / Antec 900
Audio Device(s) HT Omega Striker 7.1 / Onboard and HDMI from ATi Card
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750W / 610W
Software Ubuntu / Windows 8.1 Pro / OS X / PHPStorm / Gaming
you are right silkstone.

wifi coverage could be cheapest, and is definitely the easiest. the fact that he doesn't do any internal transfers nails it - there is no need for wired anything, as any decent wireless router will put out faster speeds than your isp gives you (in most cases)

so i guess the question is , how fast is your internet? wireless n has progressed enough that it is not very expensive, and can work at more than 3x the speed of 99% of home internet connections, yours likely included.

Guttboy

Case Cooler Master CM690
Wireless is not really desireable for me at this point.

If I do end up streaming media and gaming, I like the idea of having a wired network.

System Name Gaming System / HTPC-Server
Processor i7 8700K (@4.8 Ghz All-Core) / R7 5900X
Motherboard Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming / MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling CM ML360 / CM ML240L
Memory 16Gb Hynix @3200 MHz / 16Gb Hynix @3000Mhz
Video Card(s) Zotac 3080 / Colorful 1060
Storage 750G MX300 + 2x500G NVMe / 40Tb Reds + 1Tb WD Blue NVMe
Display(s) LG 27GN800-B 27'' 2K 144Hz / Sony TV
Case Xigmatek Aquarius Plus / Corsair Air 240
Audio Device(s) On Board Realtek
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750W / Andyson TX-700 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero / K400+
Keyboard Wooting Two / K400+
Software Windows 10 x64
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R15 = 1542 3D Mark Timespy = 9758

If I do end up streaming media and gaming, I like the idea of having a wired network.

Well, you would always have that option in the future, and by that time the hardware required may be cheaper and faster.

But if you do want to future proof it now, update your OP to outline this. State the possible uses in the future.

BTW. Streaming media over wi-fi is fine, usually the filesizes are pretty small and even a G type wi-fi router han handle the bandwidth.
The issue with gaming is fluctuations in signal strength which can cause disconnects from gaming servers or a higher ping.

There is nothing wrong with a wifi connected house, i'm planning on doing this as soon as i get enough parts. But, i will keep my gaming comupter connected to my router using a physical connection

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
You have some good ideas on what you want and have. I think you are doing a great job.

System Name Build 1
Processor i5 2500k
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Cooler Master 212
Memory Corsair DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750
Software Windows 7 Professional

I have no problem streaming dvd backups to other computers wirelessly via wmc or ps3 via ps3 media server even streaming live tv on the xbox works fine.