• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Looking for a Good MOVIE player

System Name Brutus
Processor i5 4690k @4.7Ghz (Watercooled)
Motherboard z97 MSI Gaming 5
Cooling NZXT Kraken x61 AIO watercooler
Memory Gskill Ripjaws 8gb (2x4gb) 1600mhz 7-8-7-24
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 980ti x2 (sli)
Storage 1 SSD 64GB (OS) + 2x500GB WesternDigital RAID 0
Display(s) YAMAKASI Catleap q270 SE 27inch Glossy 2560x1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DX
Power Supply Antec TPQ 1200w
Software Windows 7 (64 bit)
I'm looking for a good software to play any type of movie files...

For instance, right now I'm trying to watch a .mkv file with VLC... and it works fine... but I'm looking for a program that has the ability to switch to a "theater" mode...

A bit like watching "megavideo" uploads online... even if the movie you're watching is not fullscreen, the webpage has the ability to switch to a "dark mode"...

Is there such a FEATURE in softwares like VLC media player ??????

if so, point me in the right direction please ;)

System Name Minerva / Remus
Processor i9 10900KF (5.1Ghz) / Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z490 / MSI 550 Pro
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i / Air Cooler
Memory 64Gb Crucial Ballistix (3200) / 16GB Crucial Ballistix (3200)
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 3070 Ti / Quadro P1000
Storage 16TB / 20TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF + HP z27 / Dell P22
Case Fractal Design 7 XL / MSi
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Corsair HX750W Modular / Corsair CX550
Mouse Logitech G502 / G602
Keyboard Havit Kalih Blue Switch /
Software Win 10 Pro / Ubuntu 20.04
Benchmark Scores Suggestions.
Have you tried Media Player Classic ? I think that one coupled with VLC will net you all the options you need.

Look up CCCP codec (bundled with the player)
and K-Lite Media Codec (bundled with the player as well) <--- better for starters

System Name Blackbox
Processor Core i7-2600k @ 4.8
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.A
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) KFA² (Galax) GTX970 EXOC Black Edition
Storage Bunch of 1-2TB WD RE4 + WD Red
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 2333T
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Power Supply Seasonic S12 II 430
Mouse Logitech MX518 Refresh
Keyboard Tesoro Colada G3NL (MX Brown)
Software Win7 Ultimate
DON'T use K-Lite if you do any form of video editing or value video playing ability. It's almost guaranteed to break any program that relies on/uses windows codecs (progs won't play or encode video anymore)

Plus getting rid of it entirely is almost impossible, unless you like hunting down every single file it installed and manually deleting it.

Because of that K-Lite crap I had to reinstall my windows. Any program that doesn't use it's own supplied codecs (like VLC) stopped working and after a week of trying to get rid of any remains of K-Lite, I just gave up and formatted. Save yourself the time.

System Name Minerva / Remus
Processor i9 10900KF (5.1Ghz) / Ryzen 5600X
Motherboard Asus TUF Gaming Z490 / MSI 550 Pro
Cooling Corsair iCUE H150i / Air Cooler
Memory 64Gb Crucial Ballistix (3200) / 16GB Crucial Ballistix (3200)
Video Card(s) Asus Tuf 3070 Ti / Quadro P1000
Storage 16TB / 20TB
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF + HP z27 / Dell P22
Case Fractal Design 7 XL / MSi
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD
Power Supply Corsair HX750W Modular / Corsair CX550
Mouse Logitech G502 / G602
Keyboard Havit Kalih Blue Switch /
Software Win 10 Pro / Ubuntu 20.04
Benchmark Scores Suggestions.
DON'T use K-Lite if you do any form of video editing or value video playing ability. It's almost guaranteed to break any program that relies on/uses windows codecs (progs won't play or encode video anymore)

Plus getting rid of it entirely is almost impossible, unless you like hunting down every single file it installed and manually deleting it.

Because of that K-Lite crap I had to reinstall my windows. Any program that doesn't use it's own supplied codecs (like VLC) stopped working and after a week of trying to get rid of any remains of K-Lite, I just gave up and formatted. Save yourself the time.

Havent had any problems with K-lite codec for almost 3 years since ive been using it. Never interrupted my VLC / MPC / GOM players at all.

System Name Blackbox
Processor Core i7-2600k @ 4.8
Motherboard ASRock Fatal1ty P67 Performance
Cooling Thermalright Macho Rev.A
Memory 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport VLP DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) KFA² (Galax) GTX970 EXOC Black Edition
Storage Bunch of 1-2TB WD RE4 + WD Red
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 2333T
Case Fractal Design Arc Midi
Power Supply Seasonic S12 II 430
Mouse Logitech MX518 Refresh
Keyboard Tesoro Colada G3NL (MX Brown)
Software Win7 Ultimate
For me it insta-bricked pretty much everything. From Camtasia Studio to Virtualdub.
Playing stuff in WMP and blah worked fine, everything else that relied on windows codecs (mainly editing tools and converters) was FUBAR'd. VLC didn't care much as long as it used its own supplied codecs.

As for the above examples, Camtasia Studio didn't recognize any input file formats anymore and Virtualdub showered me with errors and codec related crashes. Stuff like Gspot instacrashed all the time. I got some functionality back after trying to get rid of K-Lite, but overall it was still a nightmare with stuff not working as before or being glitchy.

I'd be at least wary of installing it ever again. Best to do a full sys backup before that just in case it screws up. Better safe than sorry.

Processor Core i5 4690K @ 3.5 GHz \\ C2Q Q6600 @ 3.4 GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 SLI \\ Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling Thermaltake Water 3.0 Performer \\ Xigmatek Dark Knight
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 2x 4GB \\ Corsair XMS2 2x 2 GB
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE GTX 970 G1 Gaming v1.1 (Hynix) \\ Sapphire HD 6850
Storage Kingston SV200, 3 TB Seagate 7200.14 \\ 2x 320 GB WD Blue
Display(s) LG 24MP56HQ
Case Corsair Carbide 200R Windowed \\ CM 690
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150 \\ Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply Adata HM850 \\ Corsair HX520
Mouse Logitech G602, SteelSeries Sensei Raw Frostblue, Corsair M65
Keyboard Logitech Media Keyboard Elite
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 \\ Windows 7 Ultimate x64
I'm looking for a good software to play any type of movie files...

For instance, right now I'm trying to watch a .mkv file with VLC... and it works fine... but I'm looking for a program that has the ability to switch to a "theater" mode...

A bit like watching "megavideo" uploads online... even if the movie you're watching is not fullscreen, the webpage has the ability to switch to a "dark mode"...

Is there such a FEATURE in softwares like VLC media player ??????

if so, point me in the right direction please ;)

Hi,

I don't know whether there are mediaplayers that have a "dark mode/theater mode", but you can try out Daum's PotPlayer which is made by the same guy who made the popular KMPlayer which was sold several years ago, so he now has made a new player, the mentioned PotPlayer. The PotPlayer has all codecs built-in and can literally playback every videoformat without installing codec packs such as K-Lite or Project CCC codec packs. Also it support CUDA, DXVA 1 & 2. As for VLC, I have many video issues with VLC, it's not like VLC haven't improved in all these years, but even the latest version causes me issues with some videos, especially with 1080p videos. So I am glad I finally found a mediaplayer that's easy to use and best of all, a problem-free playback. PotPlayer really has replaced MP Classic Homecinema for me.

Here's the link for the English version:
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/PotPlayer

Also you can install Madvr and other videofilter such as LAV filters, respectively for maximum video/image quality and compatibility/performance with 10bit H.264 videos.

I am guessing what the issue is... VLC has a full screen mode where you see nothing but the movie... What else does a young man need? hahahaha