• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

MSI Announces Next Generation R7970 Lightning Graphics Card

I'll just say 1265 is a good start and a stepping stone to 1800mhz on HWbot/XS.
Got that first part covered Jared!.. 1800 MHz for the R7970 Lightning:)
http://i.imgur.com/m1fvd.jpg

@zargana, the 8W difference in power consumption can easily be explained by the higher clock speed, which does in fact translate into better performance.
As everyone knows, Memory OC doesn't impact as much as GPU OC does.

HardwareHeaven tested both cards and the Sapphire at 1000/1450 loses to the Lightning at 1070/1400, with the latter of course having much better OC potential (see the 1800 MHz above.)

HH Sapphire dual-X
HH R7970 Lightning

Last edited:
Processor 12900K @5.1all Pcore only, 1.23v
Motherboard MSI Edge
Cooling D15 Chromax Black
Memory 32GB 4000 C15
Video Card(s) 4090 Suprim X
Storage Various Samsung M.2s, 860 evo other
Display(s) Predator X27 / Deck (Nreal air) / LG C3 83
Case FD Torrent
Audio Device(s) Hifiman Ananda / AudioEngine A5+
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX 1000W
Mouse Amazon finest (no brand)
Keyboard Amazon finest (no brand)
VR HMD Index
Benchmark Scores I got some numbers.
'Dust removal tech', well it might seem gimmicky & redundant, but I guess it sort of works.. links here(official info)

(Couldnt resist!)
That link made me for real LOL, the pic with "DUST REMOVAL" across it, the blades look dirty >.<!! And then one of those wonderful marketing graphs below showing how much better it runs vs. a dusty fan - I can just imagine that test, giggling as they dump the contents of a hoover onto a gpu before putting onto the mobo to sure enough conclude that indeed it does run hotter when filthy ^.^

That aside, the difference in price I can justify (personally, anyway) with the superior grade mats used on this card, the OC also gives a few more FPS which is the #1 decider for most people looking at this range of product.

...C'mon nV, what you got?

Sapphire really really hasn't said it's last word. You guys forgot about Vapor-X\TOXIC and atomic already?

System Name H-A-L9000
Processor 3770k
Motherboard Asus p67 Sabertooth
Cooling Custom liquid CPU & GPU
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) sapphire 290x
Storage 256 Vector, 120 Vertex 2E, 2x 1TB Samsung F3 in RAID 0
Display(s) Dell 2407WFP
Case Akasa Omega
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Phoebus
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Win 7 64 pro
anybody know what volts this cards running?

System Name The Xinator
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.6Ghz
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V-PRO
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC14PE
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance White LP 1600Mhz 1.35v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX780 Windforce OC (Rev 2.0)
Storage OCZ Vector 256GB
Display(s) Hazro HZ27WD(V2) 2560x1440
Case Antec 1200 (V1)
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar DGX
Power Supply Antec CP-850
Software Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Bitches have forgotten about HIS ICE-Q

Remember their iteration of the 4850/70? That beautiful, wonderful cooler.

I'm rooting for MSI Though...for now...

NHKS

That's under LN2 you silly..:p and 1.7v is not something you can achieve with regular Afterburner

i know.. i just edited my comment... i didnt mean for the card itself;)

is the 1800MHz clock a new record for GPU OC??!
i guess GTX580 was the previous GPU @ 1500+MHz (not sure)

Last edited:
is the 1800MHz clock a new record for GPU OC??!
i guess GTX580 was the previous GPU @ 1300+MHz (not sure)
We got 1700 MHz for the 580 Lightning, this is the same frequency as the asus 7970 DCII, 1800 MHz is just that one step beyond ;)

Unless someone got an S3 Chrome up to 2.45 GHz :p

Man I love TPU. Neliz thanks for the quick link to Elmor's wr. Whats the volt limit for us average Joes on this card?

Any pics of Elmor's setup? Was he using the reactor cap mod? What take so long to bring this to market?

Man I love TPU. Neliz thanks for the quick link to Elmor's wr. Whats the volt limit for us average Joes on this card?
In short, it's probably best if average Joe doesn't jam 1.7V at 1800 MHz through his GPU with a stock cooler. Twin Frozr IV is good, but those thermal values (level INSANE) are only for pro's (with LN2).

Any pics of Elmor's setup? Was he using the reactor cap mod? What take so long to bring this to market?

No pics, but video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5M3dm23VLM

Yes the GPU Reactor was used for this WR :)

"take so long?"
normally it takes MSI 6 months to get a card like a Lightning out of the door.
Because you have to remember that this design has nothing to do with the reference design, the only thing still original is the GPU pinout and that's about it.

But because of a new design team that focuses specifically on cards like Lightning, we can now get the card just two months after it hits the store, the new R7870 Hawk might even be faster!

So now, we're not releasing a slightly modified card now and then something full-flung later on. this is it, this is the best of the best, on the market earlier than anything else. Heck there might not even be models like a "Matrix" this time around.

Hope this answer helps, we're not particularly slow, it's just a heck of a lot of work to design a 10-Layer ultra-high end PCB in just a few months. (And then I'm not even talking about the hardware features and SW/BIOS work)

Last edited:

NHKS

Hope this answer helps, we're not particularly slow, it's just a heck of a lot of work to design a 10-Layer ultra-high end PCB in just a dew months. (And then I'm not even talking about the hardware features and SW/BIOS work)

and the premium of 70$ over reference does makes sense now.. great effort!

and the premium of 70$ over reference does makes sense now.. great effort!

That and higher specced components (GDDR5, Military Class III PWM, Thermal Design, gold plated I/O)

yangwangbrock

System Name Maximus
Processor Intel I7 2600K
Motherboard Asus Maximus Extreme - Z
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16 GB LP
Video Card(s) Asus HD 6970 Direct CU II
Storage Crucial M4 128 GB SSD; Patriot Wildfire 120 GB; Western Digital Black Cavier 1 TB
Display(s) 3 x Dell 2412M
Case Corsair Obsidian 800D
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Corsair AX 1200
Software Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Big fan of MSI lightning Twin Frozr III...Will eventually get a pair of these cards.

Why wouldn't MSI put its TF III design on 6990 or 7990?

System Name Zargana's antiquity
Processor AMD FX 8370 (Stock)
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990 FX (V.1)
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 240mm
Memory KINGSTON 8GB (2 x 4GB) HyperX T1 PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) XFX RX 480 GTR (Stock)
Storage Samsung SSD 850 Pro 256gb and 2 x 500gb Seagate 7200 rpm
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T220
Case Thermaltake Suppressor F51
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Platinum Fatal1ty Champion Series
Power Supply SUPERFLOWER LEADEX 80 PLUS PLATINUM BLACK 850W
Mouse Genius Gila Gaming Mouse
Keyboard Logitech G810 Orion
Benchmark Scores Time Spy GPU @1425 Score= 4251 - Temp Max: 73 Fire Strike GPU@1425 Score= 9123 - Temp Max: 70
Got that first part covered Jared!.. 1800 MHz for the R7970 Lightning:)
http://i.imgur.com/m1fvd.jpg

@zargana, the 8W difference in power consumption can easily be explained by the higher clock speed, which does in fact translate into better performance.
As everyone knows, Memory OC doesn't impact as much as GPU OC does.

HardwareHeaven tested both cards and the Sapphire at 1000/1450 loses to the Lightning at 1070/1400, with the latter of course having much better OC potential (see the 1800 MHz above.)

HH Sapphire dual-X
HH R7970 Lightning

I checked also the HH review and compared both cards. I still believe Sapphire's Dual-x version is better. Also not need to mention the dual-x uses the reference pcb... But that not means every time the reference pcb must be bad...

I need to make this clear; i don't play "record games" like Elmor. I just search the best solution; less heated and quiet card on the market. And the arrow points for me dual-x.

I checked also the HH review and compared both cards. I still believe Sapphire's Dual-x version is better. Also not need to mention the dual-x uses the reference pcb... But that not means every time the reference pcb must be bad...

I need to make this clear; i don't play "record games" like Elmor. I just search the best solution; less heated and quiet card on the market. And the arrow points for me dual-x.

Neliz thanks for the overclock and awesome video! Great job. Even though the lightning has the speed record... Opinions like this is why MSI needs to send this board to a real Overclocker like Damien. They can put it through trials on air and test the TFIV. Hopefully Wizzard gets one and does an awesome OC write-up on it.

NHKS

Big fan of MSI lightning Twin Frozr III...Will eventually get a pair of these cards.

Why wouldn't MSI put its TF III design on 6990 or 7990?

in case u havent noticed, this one R7970 lightning, apparently uses Twin Frozr IV .. the main change being the use of 10cm :cool: fans over 8cm in TF III..

"TF III design on 6990".. hmm.. thats an interesting case but as far i know there are only after-market custom coolers for 6990 & the GTX 590..
so if TFIII has 2 fans for a single gpu card, then for 6990 it would mean.... :D

cadaveca

My name is Dave
... Opinions like this is why MSI needs to send this board to a real Overclocker like Damien.

At the same time, extreme OC shows don't fully relate to the end user how the card is useful to them on a daily basis.

there's no such thing as a "real overclocker"...we all just change the settings that are provided to us. The hardware dictates the reults. The only skill the guys that go LN2 have, is dealing with coldbugs, which when you know how, ain't all that hard.

In fact, that skill should be shared knowledge, so that normal users can attempt as well. And becuase it's not, that makes the extremescene useless, except for those that do it...jsut a fancy show.

A cool fancy show, but still...it's not something 99% of users are interested in. Videocards are too expensive for end users to do such things. End users want to know that the card works the best, out of the box, without having to install extra tools, or any of that stuff. World frequency records have little importance to most, and that's been related by memebers here time and again.

That why NONE of my reviews have anything "extreme" in them, when it comes to clocking...I want to show users what they can get and use every day, not what they can spend an extra $3000 on to attempt, and fail at.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
You want private tutoring D?

:laugh:

No, but these cards do take ssome time before hitting retail locally. I'm curious how long it's going to take to get wide distribution.

Maybe I can buy one and show what people can do with one, for 24/7 purposes.

:laugh:

No, but these cards do take ssome time before hitting retail locally. I'm curious how long it's going to take to get wide distribution.

Actually they are shipping now so you should have local retail availability somewhere next week.

NHKS

I hope you r serious, sir!.. I really want u to show what an average user(like me) can further do with this card, besides buying it(<cough>for which I havent the money yet :eek:)..
i do agree on ur point that extreme OC is not for everyone.. its more abt bragging with scores/records..

the added features useful or not, cards like these are a great efforts, i must say.. from a technical/engineering prespective.. something like engine/vehicle tuning some firms do for more performance.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Unfortunately I don't review GPUs, that's W1zzard's job, so it will be some time before I get one, if i do. Unless neliz throws me a bone. :laugh:

(Which he cannot...no VGAs for me. Anything VGA-related must go to W1zz. I'm not even on the same side of the pond.:laugh:)