• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ASUS P9X79 Deluxe Intel LGA 2011

bear jesus

System Name Gaming temp// HTPC
Processor AMD A6 5400k // A4 5300
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75 PRO4// ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1284 // stock phenom II HSF
Memory 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance // 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance low profile
Storage 64gb sandisk pulse SSD and 500gb HDD // 500gb HDD
Display(s) acer 22" 1680x1050
Power Supply Seasonic G-450 // Corsair CXM 430W
I do not have exact info on future products at this time. What I can say is that every Intel X79 Express board I have seen supports PCIe 3.0, which should be the only requirement currently for Ivy-bridge support.

As mentioned, I am also using this board for memory reviews right now, so I'll be sure to be staying on top of any updates that may affect functionality, including looking at PCIe 3.0 devices when they become available.

If you are not overclocking, a standard case install should provide more than adequate cooling. The issues with cooling stem from overclocking, and the fact these CPUs can consume an easy 250 W, even @ just 4.4 GHz. I would really suggest to those looking for long term overclocks over 4.0 GHz, that they use watercooling with a block on the board's VRMs as well. But at stock, the 130 W consumed doesn't have that large of an impact.

And that applies to any board, not just the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe. If anything, the large coolers used on the ASUS P9X79 Deluxe make cooling less of an issue than with some other products.

I would be more than willing to water cool the VRMs but a major reason why i want ivy bride e instead of getting sandy bridge e is the expected power savings, but even though i don't expect to need to overclock but i want it to be a viable option for me from the start as i'm sure i will do some overclocking and benchmarking while it's still new although i assume there may be a limitation of which boards will have VRM water blocks released so i guess that will be something to pay attention to but i don't intend to use a normal case, i want to use a dimastech open air case as i like to see the hardware more than i want to create a good cooling wind tunnel like case :laugh: but that is partly why i am so concerned with the fine details of cooling any/every part possible.

Hopefully the time until the ivy bridge E CPUs are released will be more than enough to find the perfect board for my usage and i hope in that time frame you will review a bunch more of them. :toast:

System Name Dark Stealth
Processor Ryzen 5 5600x
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M Gaming rev 1.0
Cooling Snowman, arctic p12 x2 fans
Memory 16x2 DDR4 Corsair Dominator Pro
Video Card(s) 3080 10gb
Storage 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 Crucial P3 Plus, 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, 4TB WD RED HDD
Display(s) HP Omen 34c (34" monitor 3440x1440 165Hz VA panel)
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Mouse Logitech pro superlight, mx mouse s3, Razer Basiliskx with battery
Keyboard Custom mechanical keyboard tm680
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores 70-80 fps 3440x1440 on cyberpunk 2077 max settings
Are they kidding? 380$ o_O
I would say that is a big downside

System Name Core i9 rig / Lenovo laptop
Processor Core i9 10900X / Core i5 8350U
Motherboard Asus Prime X299 Edition 30 / Lenovo motherboard
Cooling Corsair H115i PRO RGB / stock cooler
Memory Gskill 4x8GB 3600mhz / 16GB 2400mhz
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix RTX 2080 Super / UHD 620
Storage Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB / Samsung OEM 256GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp UP3017 / Full HD IPS touch
Case Coolermaster mastercase H500M
Audio Device(s) Onboard sound
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 1700 watt / Lenovo 65watt power adapter
Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
Software Windows 11 Pro / Windows 11 Pro
found a typo

NETWORKING:
2x Realtek 8111E PCIe Gigabit LAN:D
1x Intel 82579V PCIe Gigabit LAN

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
Great review, I really like to see your work.
I think I found out why the PCI-e x16 slots are laid out like that.

And does make sense to an extent, because these cards do include extended versions of their respective bridges.

Offtopic: Another thing, cadaveca, may I ask a question? (I know I just did it now :p) I know this is an enthusiast site, where the majority of the users buy high-end hardware, but are you planning on also covering mid-range to low-end/entry-level boards?
Those are also important to some users and some models are close to impossible to find reviews online. Might not be the most traffic generating, though, I know...but there are some people that might like to see them.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I know this is an enthusiast site, where the majority of the users buy high-end hardware, but are you planning on also covering mid-range to low-end/entry-level boards?
Those are also important to some users and some models are close to impossible to find reviews online. Might not be the most traffic generating, though, I know...but there are some people that might like to see them.

I will review any board product. You'll notice many other sites have the ROG-series boards, and I do not, so I do tend to get the "cheaper" alternative that offers nearly the same functionality. Gigabyte didn't send me the Assasin2 or the UD7...I got the UD5.

I have asked OEMs to provide me with the "high-selling" alternatives, rather than the high-end products, but some OEMs prefer the "halo effect" of showing a high-end product, so in the end, I am left reviewing what I am provided with.

I wouldn't say that the majority of users here buy high-end hardware. I really think most buy cheaper stuff, and then OC to get high-end performance. Personally, my system isn't OC'd...I use profiles in BIOS to switch between OC and stock, based on what I'm using my PC for, but more often than not, I run stock to save a few pennies on power consumption.

Of course, it's the high-end boards that OC the best. And nearly everyone OCs. So I understand why the OEMs want certain products reviewed FIRST, and then plan to have the lower models covered at a later date.

I have no reviews waiting in the wings right now...I have a memory review to go live, and the UD5 review, which, according to current info, is a recalled part. So I'll be contacting OEMs soon to see what they have for me to review. The more you guys make requests for specific products to be reviewed, the better chance I have at reviewing them.

And I'll say too, that I agree with your sentiment...for the 9-series boards, I asked ASUS for the mid-range boards, and they sent me the M5A97 EVO, and the M5A99X EVO, both of which have proven to be some of the most popular reviews I've done.

Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
I see the P9X79 as high-end, in the X79 line. Not top of the bunch, but still up there.
Fair enough. Yeah, the M5A97EVO is mid-range, forgot about that one. :p
I buy cheaper stuff, and don't OC...mostly due to funds, but that's not the question here. :\
As far as requests go, I have one. :)
A neat little board that surfaced in the market here about a month ago, that really caught my attention for it's price (while having a 990FX chipset). ASRock's 990FX Extreme3.
Looks good, but I would like to know if it is good. I know nobody better than you to answer me that. ;)

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Hopefully we'll be able to touch base with AsRock and add them to our stable of reviewed products soon. I've had countless requests for AsRock reviews, and have attempted a couple of times to establish a contact @ AsRock, but have not had any success as of yet. AsRock is about to hit their 10-year anniversary, so I really want to add them, for sure.

Perhaps @ CES something can be arranged.

Good to hear. Best of luck! :rockout:

Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
why don't newer asus' mobos have ExpressGate? Does anyone know why they stopped putting expressgate on their mobos

cadaveca

My name is Dave
When ASUS dropped ExpressGate, they added far greater VRM flexibility. I seem to recall that they did poll end users for what features were most important to them, prior to this change, so it seems popular opinion said ExpressGate wasn't needed.

With a fast SSD, booting into windows for surfing and basic word editting is nearly as fast as booting into ExpressGate was...not AS fast, but it only takes a couple of seconds longer, at most.

I am not sure 100% that that is what happened, so I'll be sure to ask ASUS your question directly.;)

Mouse Logitech M500s
Keyboard Cherry
When ASUS dropped ExpressGate, they added far greater VRM flexibility. I seem to recall that they did poll end users for what features were most important to them, prior to this change, so it seems popular opinion said ExpressGate wasn't needed.

With a fast SSD, booting into windows for surfing and basic word editting is nearly as fast as booting into ExpressGate was...not AS fast, but it only takes a couple of seconds longer, at most.

I am not sure 100% that that is what happened, so I'll be sure to ask ASUS your question directly.;)
oh thx.i don't use expressgate much as i rarely restart my pc but i'm interested why did they drop it

bear jesus

System Name Gaming temp// HTPC
Processor AMD A6 5400k // A4 5300
Motherboard ASRock FM2A75 PRO4// ASRock FM2A55M-DGS
Cooling Xigmatek HDT-D1284 // stock phenom II HSF
Memory 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance // 4GB 1600mhz corsair vengeance low profile
Storage 64gb sandisk pulse SSD and 500gb HDD // 500gb HDD
Display(s) acer 22" 1680x1050
Power Supply Seasonic G-450 // Corsair CXM 430W
Dave as far as specific requests of brand or model i have none but LGA2011 boards have my interest for a desktop upgrade and also microATX FM1 boards to upgrade my HTPC so anything that fits in to those groups would make me very happy.

Although as a hardware geek i have a lot of say in friends and family members hardware purchases so past enjoying reading reviews i read reviews of any product i can as between everyone there is such a wide range of suitable solutions to their needs so any product you can get to review will be of interest as even if it does not suit my needs it may be suitable for someone else who i will be telling what to buy.

I would love it if you could get some AsRock boards as i have seen so many press releases for their boards but then most of the sites i visit never review them so i have no idea how most of their more recent products stack up against the competition.

Strangerz

Cadaveca,

Do you have any information on the bluetooth/wifi module that is included with this motherboard?

I am unable to find any real information on it and im wondering what antenna connector it has and what chipset it uses... really just looking for a data sheet, model number, or something to identify the module so i can find a spec sheet somewhere.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Cadaveca,

Do you have any information on the bluetooth/wifi module that is included with this motherboard?

I am unable to find any real information on it and im wondering what antenna connector it has and what chipset it uses... really just looking for a data sheet, model number, or something to identify the module so i can find a spec sheet somewhere.

The Wireless has it's own attenna, shown in the box content pictures, a ring-based atenna with magnets to secure it to the side panel of you pc, or maybe the leg of your desk. The wireless portion uses an Atheros AR9002WB-1GN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n chipset.

The Bluetooth portion is also Atheros, but I am not sure of the model number. It seems that this ASUS BT GO 3.0 + HS is a custom solution specifically desgined for ASUS, or by ASUS. ASUS doesn't include a lot of documentation other than marketing materials.

Strangerz

The Wireless has it's own attenna, shown in the box content pictures, a ring-based atenna with magnets to secure it to the side panel of you pc, or maybe the leg of your desk. The wireless portion uses an Atheros AR9002WB-1GN Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n chipset.

The Bluetooth portion is also Atheros, but I am not sure of the model number. It seems that this ASUS BT GO 3.0 + HS is a custom solution specifically desgined for ASUS, or by ASUS. ASUS doesn't include a lot of documentation other than marketing materials.

Ahh thank you. I beleive the "-1GN" means single stream which is what i was afraid of, up to 150mbps vs 2 stream at 300mbps (which you will never hit these actual speeds). Wifi is nothing fancy but the antenna makes it look good.

Thanks for this information, i emailed ASUS for this and they replied pretty fast... but just said "for the most accurate information call our support at...." which makes no sense to have a support email if they dont use it. Then i called and the guy couldnt find the information so he just hung up on me. Should of asked here first...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ahh thank you. I beleive the "-1GN" means single stream which is what i was afraid of, up to 150mbps vs 2 stream at 300mbps (which you will never hit these actual speeds). Wifi is nothing fancy but the antenna makes it look good.

Thanks for this information, i emailed ASUS for this and they replied pretty fast... but just said "for the most accurate information call our support at...." which makes no sense to have a support email if they dont use it. Then i called and the guy couldnt find the information so he just hung up on me. Should of asked here first...

I'm usually pretty quick during normal North American daytime hours;)

:laugh:

I must say, that it works pretty well. I've been using the board for the past couple of weeks, both for daily usage and gaming, and I do not have a wired connection in the room that it is set up in. I can't say i notice any difference between the wireless and wired, with daily use or gaming, and my connection is 19Mb/s(about 1.7 MB/s real).

The room it's in has been problematic with wireless becuase of other electrical gear and wireless stuff in the room, but I haven't had a single issue, and kinda like it.

Strangerz

I must say, that it works pretty well. I've been using the board for the past couple of weeks, both for daily usage and gaming, and I do not have a wired connection in the room that it is set up in. I can't say i notice any difference between the wireless and wired, with daily use or gaming, and my connection is 19Mb/s(about 1.7 MB/s real).

The room it's in has been problematic with wireless becuase of other electrical gear and wireless stuff in the room, but I haven't had a single issue, and kinda like it.

Ya, the antenna will definitely help with a reliable connection and im not necessary saying its bad, just that it could be better. When using 2 streams (your router must be capable too) you are able to send and receive data simultaneously, with 1 your are not able to but the protocols will reduce collisions. You would only really notice this with applications sending and receiving continuous data and requiring high bandwidth such as HD video chat. The chip looks to be single band as well which means it will only run on 2.4GHz and wont utilize 5GHz. But again, this only comes in effect in certain situations such as an area with a lot of other wifi signals in the air (apartments). These features would just help ensure that you have a reliable connection no matter the situation.

I wasnt expecting top of the line, just something better on an expensive mobo, especially since this wifi technology is not new... i think they came out with tri-stream in 2010. Im just a network guy so I was curious. Everyone seems to slack on wireless and im not sure why... probably because most users think that every wireless N device is the same.

Forgive my English, I am Spanish and I do not speak. In the review of this motherboard, indicates that he has 4 sockets PCI-e 2.0, and actually I think I would have to put 3.0. a greeting

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Forgive my English, I am Spanish and I do not speak. In the review of this motherboard, indicates that he has 4 sockets PCI-e 2.0, and actually I think I would have to put 3.0. a greeting

Possibly. This review was written before any PCIe 3.0 devices were on the market, so certification was near impossible. Today its' very obvious that you can get PCIE 3.0, but it's still going to depend on each individual CPU.

THE board itself is PCIe 3.0-ready, for sure though.

System Name Cogito Ergo Switch
Processor i7 3930K @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Custom Water (CPU/MB/GPU Blocks, 420+240rads PP)
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws Z 2133 9-11-10-27 @ 2380 9-10-10-28
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX670 FTW 2GB SLI @ 1344core/7648mem + EVGA 650Ti PhysX
Storage Samsung 830 256GB SSD (Boot) + 1TB WD10EZEX (Games/Apps) + 1TB WD10EALX (Prog) + 2x 320GB WD/HGST
Display(s) Dell U2412HM + U2312HM + 2x P2212Hbe + Viewsonic 21.5" 1680x1050
Case NZXT Switch 810 White - MODDED
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium HD PCI-Express
Power Supply NZXT HALE90 850W - Custom Sleeved Cables (White, No Heatshrink)
Software Windows7 Pro x64
I have been thinking about the Rampage IV Extreme, but this board seems like a great X79 MB as well. The price difference between the two isn't that great, though, and with water blocks readily available for the RIVE, would it be, in your opinion, the better option for a 3930K (will be overclocked) in a Switch 810 (allowing for, most likely, a 360mm plus a 240mm or 140/120mm rad)? Thanks!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I have been thinking about the Rampage IV Extreme, but this board seems like a great X79 MB as well. The price difference between the two isn't that great, though, and with water blocks readily available for the RIVE, would it be, in your opinion, the better option for a 3930K (will be overclocked) in a Switch 810 (allowing for, most likely, a 360mm plus a 240mm or 140/120mm rad)? Thanks!

RIVE is the Quad-GPU board. Extra cost explained by that, the OC-KEY device, and the measuring points, and the X-Bracket. Also included is a bunch of pre-set profiles in BIOS for memory and such.

IF any of those features appeal to you, then there's no question which would be right for you.

Either board doesn't really NEED water, but decent airflow from ram coolers does help keep things cool for sure, and water will allow for bit less noise of course, but since most clocking ability is going to be CPU-dependant, and not board-dependant, OC-ability between the two should be very similar, if not exactly the same. My 3960X can barely do 4.2 GHz stable, but my 3820 is completely different:

current_clocks_3820.jpg

And with that said, neither is going to be "better" for a 3930K 24/7. Just slightly different focus, seldom-used features, and colour-schemes is really all that I can see, but do keep in mind I do not have the RIVE, so I have to go by pictures alone. Perhaps if I ahd the board, my opinion might be a bit different, but i doubt it.

If you plan on doing extreme clocking, the ROG board is the ONLY choice(No LN2 mode on the P9x79 Deluxe).

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
Also between 3820s, there might be some variation on clocks and temperatures. Thanks to Dave's recommendation of the P9X79 Deluxe, that is what I went with and I can say it is the nicest motherboard I've ever used. For a daily driver you can't go wrong with this board.

Here is my stable summer overclock.
cpuz.JPG

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
I'm having trouble installing windows on a RAID with the vanilla board but its prob something I'm doing wrong.